Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Default PTR 91 GI accessories - need advice/opinions

Picked up a PTR GI. Itís one of their first ones - no welded on rail up top and 15x1 threads for a muzzle device. I shot it the other day without any issues. Looking to tame the recoil.

Will this muzzle brake work? They sell a $10 jam nut too. My current IGF brake looks like a flash hider.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/DELTAC-Slings...cAAOSwrFtZ85dp

Last edited by NATEWA; 11-20-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 11-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Any experience with this buffer?

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK...S-181p1957.htm

And this recoil pad?

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK...PAD-2p1863.htm

Will this safety lever work on the polymer lower with molded in grip? I’d like to put the lever on the right side because I have a kydex grip wrap on it. Saw a thread where a calgunner notched, tapped and screwed in an ar15 safety lever on the other side, making an ambi safety.

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK...MAN-2p1916.htm

Thanks for any advice and suggestions. I eventually may want to mount a rail and was told the MFI low pro is good.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:19 PM

Natewa, I'm the guy who posted the ambi-safety mod using an AR15 one. Pertaining to the safety you linked to, yes, that is the same type that comes with the PTR, but they are not reversible. That is why I did the tap job. They show two in the picture, but you only get one. They are the same safety, not sure why they show it like that. From my research, to get an true HK ambi safety would require a new trigger pack, which are expensive. That's why I went the route I did. So far it's worked out very well.

I can recommend getting the HK21 rubber buttpad. It definitely feels more comfortable over the skinnier, plastic butt pad that comes with the PTRs.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
Natewa, I'm the guy who posted the ambi-safety mod using an AR15 one. Pertaining to the safety you linked to, yes, that is the same type that comes with the PTR, but they are not reversible. That is why I did the tap job. They show two in the picture, but you only get one. They are the same safety, not sure why they show it like that. From my research, to get an true HK ambi safety would require a new trigger pack, which are expensive. That's why I went the route I did. So far it's worked out very well.

I can recommend getting the HK21 rubber buttpad. It definitely feels more comfortable over the skinnier, plastic butt pad that comes with the PTRs.
Thanks Mark, I may pick up one in case I mess up the ambi safety mod that you did. Glad to hear itís working for you.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Able to see irons with this attached?

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/B-T-H...-118p16869.htm
Old 11-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Yea, I grabbed an extra safety in case I fubar'd the mod. My dremel job was not pretty, but it worked.

No experience with that rail, mine had the welded rails. However, it looks from the pics you would have enough clearance for irons.

I don't enjoy shooting with irons on the PTR. I constantly get nailed by the stock in the cheekbone from the recoil. I now have a Romeo 5 red-dot with an American Defense AD-T1-L STD low mount. I find it gets my cheek a little higher but still a decent cheek weld. It puts the red-dot just above the front iron sight protector but doesn't obscure the site picture. I can see around it with both eyes open. Hopefully that makes sense. I'll take and post a photo when I get home.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Picked up a PTR GI. It’s one of their first ones - no welded on rail up top and 15x1 threads for a muzzle device. I shot it the other day without any issues. Looking to tame the recoil.

Will this muzzle brake work? They sell a $10 jam nut too. My current IGF brake looks like a flash hider.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/DELTAC-Slings...cAAOSwrFtZ85dp
I use the HK style flash hider that is in muzzle brake configuration. Instead of the open muzzle it has a closed exit, don't recall if I got it at Robert RG or the HK store. Cost about $15.00 IIRC. Doesn't do much to limit recoil though. I'm tall with a fairly large nose and keeping it off the receiver hump is a challenge.

You might try the HK snap on cheek riser and claw mount. That did it for me.

Don't forget Numrich Arms for parts. You have to be a bit careful ordering, much or most of what they sell is used and their version of "slightly used" may be different than yours. However their HK factory claw mount (page 8) is a good buy and the one I got was in excellent shape.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...s-hk/g3?page=8

Last edited by dfletcher; 11-20-2017 at 1:22 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 4:03 PM

those heavy buffers have been out of stock forever..
Old 11-20-2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs762 View Post
those heavy buffers have been out of stock forever..
As have the HK21 pads. I have been waiting for over a year for the email to come telling me it's in stock.

STOP THE TUNNELS
Old 11-20-2017, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I use the HK style flash hider that is in muzzle brake configuration. Instead of the open muzzle it has a closed exit, don't recall if I got it at Robert RG or the HK store. Cost about $15.00 IIRC. Doesn't do much to limit recoil though. I'm tall with a fairly large nose and keeping it off the receiver hump is a challenge.

You might try the HK snap on cheek riser and claw mount. That did it for me.

Don't forget Numrich Arms for parts. You have to be a bit careful ordering, much or most of what they sell is used and their version of "slightly used" may be different than yours. However their HK factory claw mount (page 8) is a good buy and the one I got was in excellent shape.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...s-hk/g3?page=8
If you get the claw mount, you need the cheek mount riser (snap on)?
Old 11-20-2017, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

I’ll try Mark’s ambi safety. I’ll get on the list for the buffer. For now, I’ll get an extra safety lever (in case I mess up) and recoil pad.

I have a weaver 1x4 that would do well up top. I’m assuming the advantage of the HK mount is you can remove the cheek riser and use the irons? With the low profile mounts, do the irons cowitness with a scope?
Old 11-20-2017, 4:51 PM
Veteran Member

And muzzle brake? Shouldn’t that work?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2017, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Able to see irons with this attached?

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/B-T-H...-118p16869.htm
Yes. Its top is below the l level of the diopter sights. (I have one on my HK91.)

Last edited by Ki6vsm; 01-24-2018 at 1:02 PM..
Old 11-21-2017, 9:03 AM

Quote:
And muzzle brake? Shouldn’t that work?

Thanks
I'd try the enhanced buffer and recoil pad first, before resorting to a brake. Pretty simple to install those parts. Whatever little bit it helps probably isn't worth the ear-hammering.

Or just wear on of these. Maybe even sew it into a shirt or jacket. No more pain.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...d-ambidextrous
Old 11-21-2017, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

I have the hk21 rubber recoil pad and the PCS heavy buffer on my PTR. World of difference compared to the hard plastic and standard buffer. Unfortunately they seem to be hard to come by these days. Worth it when you can find them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2017, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
I'd try the enhanced buffer and recoil pad first, before resorting to a brake. Pretty simple to install those parts. Whatever little bit it helps probably isn't worth the ear-hammering.

Or just wear on of these. Maybe even sew it into a shirt or jacket. No more pain.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...d-ambidextrous
The brake I currently have looks like a flash hider. The recoil isnít too much for me, Iíd just like to tame it for quicker shots. I hunt with a 12 gauge and itís no worse than that.
Old 11-21-2017, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your help! I’ll start looking around for the buffer and recoil pad. I saw a review of the muzzle brake and a guy said it fit his PTR so may roll the dice and try it out.
Old 11-21-2017, 9:34 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.triggerwork.net/hksbuffer.html

?
Old 11-21-2017, 9:35 AM

Quote:
The brake I currently have looks like a flash hider. The recoil isnít too much for me, Iíd just like to tame it for quicker shots. I hunt with a 12 gauge and itís no worse than that.
I'd still do the HD buffer and butt pad first. That's just me though.

Quote:
Thanks for your help! Iíll start looking around for the buffer and recoil pad. I saw a review of the muzzle brake and a guy said it fit his PTR so may roll the dice and try it out.
Looks like you've already found them.

I'll post some pics of that Swiss-made compact mount momentarily.
Old 11-21-2017, 9:46 AM

Okay, so here you can see that the B &T mount sits below the irons.

These pics show two obvious usages, though the optics themselves are kinda cheap; just what I had sitting around unused. Note that the RDS required a 1/2" riser to 'clear' the front sight hood. Without the riser, the dot sat squarely on the 12 oclock of that sight hood. Might be different if using an Aimpoint. Can't say.

And for scope use, a cheek riser wouldn't be a bad thing. I haven't tried the snap-on type. I think it's made for use with the standard claw mount. So can't say if that riser would be too tall for this setup, or what.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hk91_rds.jpg (60.1 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg Hk91_scoped.jpg (42.4 KB, 593 views)
Old 11-21-2017, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
I'd still do the HD buffer and butt pad first. That's just me though.

Looks like you've already found them.

I'll post some pics of that Swiss-made compact mount momentarily.

Good reviews on Billís buffer. Since PWS is out of stock and sounds like it has been for a while, Iíll try Billís.

Canít find a HK 21 butt pad in stock.

Iíll try the heavy buffer and see what I can do with the irons. Iíll go from there.

Your rifle looks set up - thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

I’m looking at those magpul stocks. Expensive but would allow for irons, red dot and scope with the proper cheek height. Also has a decent looking recoil pad.

Anyone have one? Would they be considered adjustable? Think I saw a thread where a guy adjusted the LOP and then “permanently” locked it into place.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Good reviews on Billís buffer. Since PWS is out of stock and sounds like it has been for a while, Iíll try Billís.

Canít find a HK 21 butt pad in stock.

Iíll try the heavy buffer and see what I can do with the irons. Iíll go from there.

Your rifle looks set up - thanks for sharing the pics.
Oh man. Sorry. I hadn't noticed that those parts were out of stock. FWIW, I think there is a German/HK made enhanced buffer. But those cost a lot more money and require a mod to the stock.

Looks like Bill's is worth a try. If he's got one. Claimed 30% in felt recoil sounds worth the money and effort.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

https://hughesprecision.com/product/...ead-converter/

$20 shipped

Muzzle brake adapter works. Will get new muzzle brake and buffer after Christmas. Then may get the trigger done and put a rail up top.

Last edited by NATEWA; 11-25-2017 at 6:29 PM..
Old 11-21-2017, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

I grabbed an extra HK 91 butt pad, shaved down the top and bottom to make it more flat and slipped on a small slip on recoil pad for a shotgun. It provides more cushion, a little extra lop, and doesn’t look 1/2 bad. I’ll put some double sided tape so it doesn’t move or slide off.
Old 12-12-2017, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

Purchased muzzle attachment conversion, SureFire ProComp muzzle brake, Bill Springfield’s drop in buffer and this stock extension piece.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Adju...nsion-p872.htm

Next month I’ll get the trigger done and put a low profile rail up top to run a 1x4.
Old 12-13-2017, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

Those hand guards on the PTR get pretty dang hot.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:35 AM

I probably should have mentioned this earlier...

Although I do own the HK-made larger buttpad, I have found that this slip-on pad is is pretty darned nice. It's made by E & L Manufacturing, in Cave Creek, AZ. It adds about .5" of padding to the stock. So far, no complaints. Fits like it was designed specifically for the HK rifles and has some built-in waffling and a thin foam pad to absorb recoil. And it matches the curve of the standard butt-piece so there is no need to do any trimming/flattening there like NATEWA did.

The only possible disadvantage to this slip-on pad is that it partially covers the wholes in the stock, so I don't know if it is compatible with the snap-on cheek piece. Or any other add-on cheek piece for that matter. I've never tried combining the two. However, if combined with the aftermarket adjustable buttpad shown below, there would be no interference to worry about.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EandLbuttpad.jpg (55.3 KB, 359 views)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Sold ^

I was worried about the lack of recoil pad on the extension piece.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

https://elmfg.com/store/hk.html#vent

They have the stock extension for $20 less than HK Parts. Too bad I purchased it from Hk parts and it’s shipped.

Edit: I ordered from a place in Oregon. Same company?

Last edited by NATEWA; 12-13-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Old 12-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Sold ^

I was worried about the lack of recoil pad on the extension piece.

Thanks for the info.
Like I said, I should have mentioned it earlier. Sorry. Busy times.

And it does look like that company is now in Oregon. FWIW, my pad's embossed E & L logo includes a saguaro cactus. I see from their web site that their logo now has a pine tree! Shows that they're able to adapt. LOL
Old 12-13-2017, 12:36 PM

This is what I used before I got a prs stock.

US made stock with a HK cheek riser for scopes and a AK recoil pad for 1" increased length of pull.

Shameless link to ad here
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1360406
Old 12-13-2017, 1:54 PM
Veteran Member

Where did you get that stock from? Butt pad replaceable?
Old 08-08-2018, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

Old thread but came across a couple of accessories I’m interested in.

Tac latch
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-9...h-166p2791.htm

Recoil pad
https://everygunpart.com/oem/ptr-gun...rts-black.html

Lower to attach a featureless stock
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-A...-110p18214.htm

Thordsen makes a stock for a Sig (piston driven) rifles with no buffer tube.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
Those hand guards on the PTR get pretty dang hot.
I got some aluminum replacements from AIM. When I bought it they only offered keymod but now they also have M-lok.

http://www.aimsportsinc.com/hk-handguards/
Old 08-16-2018, 1:19 PM

Ive fired a H&K 91 and didn't find it unpleasant to shoot. Now try firing a Mossberg 500 with riot barrel and 3" high base slugs and you wont want to shoot it much. Same as the S&W Ultra Light in .357mag or the S&W 500 Alaskan
Old 08-16-2018, 4:05 PM

My KFM4R has an M4 stock, I find the ergos on it much better than the standard HK stock. No more need for me to scrunch my head down to line up the sights properly. I’m only 6ft by the way.
Old 08-16-2018, 5:10 PM

The Swedish Army switched to the Spuhr adjustable stock on their AK4C service rifle and AK4D DMR variant.

It's a straight-line configuration like the AR-15; noting that raises the sight line above the bore which works for optics but is too high for iron sights.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-16-2018 at 5:17 PM..
Old 08-17-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
I got some aluminum replacements from AIM. When I bought it they only offered keymod but now they also have M-lok.

Wood furniture for the win. One day they were $19, the next day they were gone. Thanks PTR. I shouldve bought a ton.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post

I saw those for $50. How is it? Comfortable to hold onto? Does it heat up like the plastic ones?