Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 AM

Default AR15 Cheek Riser

So over the weekend I came to the conclusion that I need a cheek riser on my rifle. It has a Magpul MOE Rifle stock (fixed) on it.

At first I thought "no problem, plenty of add ons out there" but then remembered "oh yeah, the darn charging handle". I have my scope fwd enough to have a nose to charging handle head position, so a std riser would definitely get in the way.

Any recommendations for a solid stable riser for this situation?

Or should I just move the scope back far enough so that I can stick on one of the readily available risers?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Kydex and a heart gun gives you a lot of options...if you're willing to put the work in.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:13 AM

Battleline makes one that folds so you can move the charging handle. I've also seen one, but can't find now. It mounted at the rear of the stock and had a channel cut into the front portion top allow room for the charging handle. Or go side charging ...
Old 08-13-2018, 11:14 AM

Or use lower rings.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:14 AM

Might be able to adapt a Larue RISR, but it would take some playing with. I don't know how the external dimensions of the CTR and MOE fixed compare.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...e-stock-riser/
Old 08-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I have Magpul MOE and CTR stocks with Magpul cheek risers on them, but I need the stock in the last position to have room for the charging handle.

On one of my rifles I have the Larue RISR and reciprocates back when you pull the charging handle. I think it adds about 3/8 to 1/2" of comb height (I'll have to measure when I get home). It is very solid and works perfect for me.

I don't have a photo of it on Calguns, but you can see it here on my Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/SparrowDyna...type=3&theater
Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Perfect timing. The Larue RISR is half off right now. I might need to pick up another one.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...e-stock-riser/
Old 08-13-2018, 12:30 PM

How tall of rings do you have? I saw a guy running one of the LaRue, reciprocating risers and it ended up getting caught up in the dudeís sling at one point.

Unless youíre running rings that sit super high, not sure why you would need a riser. Itís just one more thing/moving part to get jammed and render your rifle a paperweight until you fix it.
Old 08-13-2018, 5:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Scholar View Post
How tall of rings do you have? I saw a guy running one of the LaRue, reciprocating risers and it ended up getting caught up in the dudeís sling at one point.

Unless youíre running rings that sit super high, not sure why you would need a riser. Itís just one more thing/moving part to get jammed and render your rifle a paperweight until you fix it.
I agree about more moving parts, but for me, even with standard height iron sights my eye is too low and I don't have a consistent cheek weld. The problem for me is where my cheek bone is, not how high the scope is mounted. I usually run my stock all the way out, so most of my stocks just have the Magpul riser. The OP said he was running a shorter LOP so the riser would be in the way of the charging handle. The Larue RISR was just a possible solution for him.

Do a web search for reviews, some are good and some are bad. Then decide if it might suite your personal needs. Larue has good service and will take it back if it doesn't fit you.
Old 08-14-2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbinator View Post
Kydex and a heart gun gives you a lot of options...if you're willing to put the work in.
I think I will go this route rather than break out the dremel and start massacring my stock and whatever after-market thing I buy.

You know much about kydex? Can you recommend a thickness? Lots of options on amazon.
Old 08-14-2018, 2:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
I think I will go this route rather than break out the dremel and start massacring my stock and whatever after-market thing I buy.

You know much about kydex? Can you recommend a thickness? Lots of options on amazon.
Could work? But it still may be in the way of the charging handle if your cheek needs to be far forward.

I believe the Larue is compatible with CTR and MOE without any mods.
Old 08-14-2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow Dynamics View Post
Could work? But it still may be in the way of the charging handle if your cheek needs to be far forward.

I believe the Larue is compatible with CTR and MOE without any mods.
Hmph, was thinking it might not work with MOE Rifle variety stock. Let me look into it more. I need to also figure out approx height I need and location to see if the sliding deal will work.

If I went the Kydex route then I'd mold and then cut out some relief so it sorta looked like the original Colt risers for M16 with scope mounted on top of carry handle. Then I gotta figure out how to mount it to the stock in a professional manner while still retaining the cargo capacity of the stock compartment.
Old 08-14-2018, 5:23 PM

Yeah Larue confirmed no-worky with the MOE Rifle stock. So the Kydex question still stands.
Old 08-14-2018, 5:45 PM

I got a new optic and low and behold, I though I needed a cheek riser. Yeah, I went through the charging handle problems. I did a bunch of internet searches. I make my own out of some pipe insulation foam. I even bought one and filed the plastic to my specifications.

And then one day I moved the butt down and more centered in the chest, brought my neck down a bit and found I didn't need any of that crap.

But you need to go through all of this yourself rather than take my word so when you come to this point you will never be looking back.
Old 08-14-2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbekannt View Post
I got a new optic and low and behold, I though I needed a cheek riser. Yeah, I went through the charging handle problems. I did a bunch of internet searches. I make my own out of some pipe insulation foam. I even bought one and filed the plastic to my specifications.

And then one day I moved the butt down and more centered in the chest, brought my neck down a bit and found I didn't need any of that crap.

But you need to go through all of this yourself rather than take my word so when you come to this point you will never be looking back.
Well keep in mind I am shooting only from a bench, with occasional offhand for variety. Essentially my AR could be a Rem700 for the way I shoot with it. Not sure what you are talking about suits what I am doing with my rifle.

My optic is a 6-24x44 scope.
Old 08-14-2018, 9:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
Yeah Larue confirmed no-worky with the MOE Rifle stock. So the Kydex question still stands.
Oh, thatís a bummer.
I need to pull out my MOE and see why. Iíve seen others do it. I wonder how much modification it took?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:28 PM

I've got a RISR on my fixed carbine stock. I had to drill holes in it to make it work, but it does. I think the rifle stock is shaped a little differently and may not work so well, even modded.
Old 08-15-2018, 6:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbinator View Post
I've got a RISR on my fixed carbine stock. I had to drill holes in it to make it work, but it does. I think the rifle stock is shaped a little differently and may not work so well, even modded.
I think the MOE and CTR are the same shape on the outside with the same cheek riser holes too, but maybe the inside is different.
Old 08-15-2018, 7:20 AM

My cheekbone to eye distance is also too low for GI sight hight.

Took me a long time to find it but check out Nightforce A190 one piece mount puts the scope center at 1Ē rather than typical 1.5Ē

I can now get a firm consistent cheek weld, standing sitting and prone. Love it, pricy but top quality and perfect hight
Old 08-15-2018, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlyworking View Post
My cheekbone to eye distance is also too low for GI sight hight.

Took me a long time to find it but check out Nightforce A190 one piece mount puts the scope center at 1” rather than typical 1.5”

I can now get a firm consistent cheek weld, standing sitting and prone. Love it, pricy but top quality and perfect hight
OK thanks let me look into that one. Not sure I have .5 inch to play with in terms of Objective to rail distance but I might.

Edited to add: Yikes, no way. $250 is out of budget for me. Rather spend that money on a better barrel.

Last edited by Usmc0844spare; 08-15-2018 at 8:43 AM..