Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2017, 7:48 AM

Default Shooter Knowledgeable Optometrist

I found an old thread... but thought Id resurrect it.. I'm going to need some glasses for shooting anyone have recommendations

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1052127
Old 12-23-2017, 8:02 AM

I did find this bit of knowledge on an old thread on another forum
Quote:
I am an ophthalmologist and run into this every day with patients here in NW Louisiana. The key is being very specific with what you want. If you are a pistol shooter that uses iron sites then the focus point needs to be where the front sight is at full extension and the target will be a little bit blurry. If you use optical sights (scopes, red dots, etc) it is easier, you just need your best distance prescription which is what we typically do anyway. Shotgunning and wing shooting is the same, you want a clear view of the target (you would want your best distance prescription). Anybody should be able to do this for you if you can explain it to them.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:24 AM

Check out Optom Eyes in Mission Valley. They did the prescription for my ESS inserts. I told the optometrist that the prescription was for handguns and she set me up with monovision prescription. She did exactly what you quoted. If you are going to bring a handgun in for measuring the distance to your front sight, make sure you let them know first.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitViper View Post
I found an old thread... but thought Id resurrect it.. I'm going to need some glasses for shooting anyone have recommendations
Here is a recent discussion on shooting scripts but for iron sights - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1405274

So do you shoot irons or optics, rifle, pistol, or shotgun? The shooting script is not a one size fits all solution but a specific solution based on what you plan to use it.

Read the recent thread especially the post where you can print the hyperlink and show to your optometrist.