Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Quad core..phht Amd has a new 8 core desktop cpu

I know you Intel guys will go "so", but I really like AMD granted I haven't use an Intel chip since they had the "new" 300mhz unit.

Just got this in my email from newegg.

CPU Link
Main ad link

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.
― Thomas Jefferson

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams
Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah we know. By the way, it's garbage. Go try reading some benchmarks compared to the previous generation of AMD CPUs, and Intel's current line.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=487677
Old 10-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Yup more isnt always better
Im running a sandy bridge 2600k with a ssd drive
Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 AM

I've been out of the loop

wasn't there some type of bottle neck in terms of processing capabilities compared to what the storage devices can do?

basically can we utilize the full potential of the processor?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Us3rName View Post
I've been out of the loop

wasn't there some type of bottle neck in terms of processing capabilities compared to what the storage devices can do?

basically can we utilize the full potential of the processor?
Huh? I'm not sure what storage device speed has to do with the CPU, that would be application specific. Again, using the full potential of the processor depends on whether or not the applications are multi-threaded, even then they need to be optimized to use the total number of cores available(or the OS needs to be able to assign individual processes to each core, which modern OS's can do). So you need multi-threaded applications, or be multi-tasking to take advantage of the additional cores. Neither scenario is something that would really apply to a desktop PC(unless you're trying to play battlefield 3 and encode video at the same time or something).

Plus, individual SSD drives these days can easily do 300MB/s read 250MB/s write(and some cheating is involved with benchmark applications writing out just zeros with specific block sizes to hit the max of about 550MB/s read and 550MB/s write), that's not including PCI-e based SSD options or SSDs used in a RAID volume.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM

like I said.

out of the loop.

When 64bit OS were starting to roll in was when there were talks on hardware related bottle necking.

this was when 1gb of ram was $100+

I just bought 2gb for $60 last week!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Were some writers saying the same thing about quadcore cpu's being unuseable? Look where we are now, give these a little time to work the bugs out and these are going to be awesome.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.
― Thomas Jefferson

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM
In Memoriam

Competition is a very good thing.

If there were no Apple, we would still be typing c:/ to start the day.

If there were no MS, top of the line would be a 150mhz at $3000.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Question: Which company's processor will benchmark better, a $300 AMD or a $300 Intel? Assuming same bus speeds, memory speeds, etc.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Question: Which company's processor will benchmark better, a $300 AMD or a $300 Intel? Assuming same bus speeds, memory speeds, etc.

Right now its Intel but just barely. I'm pretty sure Intel would be coming up with a new line in the near future. The pissing race is never ending.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuolumnejim View Post
Were some writers saying the same thing about quadcore cpu's being unuseable? Look where we are now, give these a little time to work the bugs out and these are going to be awesome.
Yes, but when the single core performance of the 6 core CPU(AMD) runs circles around the 8 core CPU(AMD), and the 8 core CPU(AMD) is just barely on par with Intel's middle-end 4 core CPU(sandy bridge) even with mutlithreaded applications, AMD screwed up. Then there is the matter of the power requirements for those additional slow cores. There are no "bugs to be worked out", AMD launched a bad product and is relying on it's marketing team to overcome the mediocre/bad reviews. Hence the garbage like the world record overclock that required 3/4 of the CPU to be disabled to even achieve with no stability or performance testing done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmerced View Post
Right now its Intel but just barely. I'm pretty sure Intel would be coming up with a new line in the near future. The pissing race is never ending.
Intel already scheduled their new line(Ivy bridge) to launch in March.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:

It might be a forum faux pas, but I am answering my own question as it made me curious enough to go look.

Using Passmark's benchmark tool scores, I compared 2 identically priced processors. AMD prices didn't go to $300, so I used their highest priced processor from Newegg. I then looked up an Intel processor that matched the price and cross referenced both of them on Passmark's page.

For your review:

$189.99 Intel Core i5-2400: Passmark CPU = 6137

$189.99 AMD Phenom II X6 1100T: Passmark CPU = 6306

CPU Benchmarks

In a world where money is no object, Intel wins the speed wars. I don't live in such a world. So, if I have $189.99 to spend, and I want the fasted processor for that price, AMD wins.

If I have a pocket full of cast to blow, Intel wins.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It might be a forum faux pas, but I am answering my own question as it made me curious enough to go look.

Using Passmark's benchmark tool scores, I compared 2 identically priced processors. AMD prices didn't go to $300, so I used their highest priced processor from Newegg. I then looked up an Intel processor that matched the price and cross referenced both of them on Passmark's page.

For your review:

$189.99 Intel Core i5-2400: Passmark CPU = 6137

$189.99 AMD Phenom II X6 1100T: Passmark CPU = 6306

CPU Benchmarks

In a world where money is no object, Intel wins the speed wars. I don't live in such a world. So, if I have $189.99 to spend, and I want the fasted processor for that price, AMD wins.

If I have a pocket full of cast to blow, Intel wins.

Umm, from the site you linked:

AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core Score = 8628 $279.99 on newegg
Intel Core i7-2600 score = 8965 $299.99 on newegg
Intel Core i7-2600k score = 10020 $314.99 on newegg

I don't consider a product announced last year, and launched 10 months after Intel released the i7-2600(with half the cores)that can't beat it in performance(but costs a whole $20 less) to be worthwhile. When you're talking about a $20 price difference, it's hardly an issue of money being no object.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Umm, from the site you linked:

AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core Score = 8628 $279.99 on newegg
Intel Core i7-2600 score = 8965 $299.99 on newegg
Intel Core i7-2600k score = 10020 $314.99 on newegg

I don't consider a product announced last year, and launched 10 months after Intel released the i7-2600(with half the cores)that can't beat it in performance(but costs a whole $20 less) to be worthwhile. When you're talking about a $20 price difference, it's hardly an issue of money being no object.
I was just trying to use an exact apples to apples example based solely upon price. As the price difference increases, so does the benchmark values, as demonstrated in your example.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:04 PM

And FYI, Microcenter still has the 2600k for $279. That's where I got mine.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I was just trying to use an exact apples to apples example based solely upon price. As the price difference increases, so does the benchmark values, as demonstrated in your example.

But you also claimed the most expensive AMD CPU on newegg was $189, considering they've been selling the new 8 core for a few days now that's hardly the case.

Also like natrab mentioned, you can find the i7-2600k for the same price as the AMD 8 core CPU, and still according to the benchmark site you posted it smokes the AMD 8 core and would end up costing the same(since everyone selling the new AMD CPU has it for $280)
Old 10-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

I just ordered these parts to build a gaming PC to play Battlefield 3:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SC DS
Solid State Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 60GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Power Supply: Corsair TX850W

Hopefully this will last me into Battlefield 4! I might have to buy another GeForce GTX 580 and do SLI to keep it going, though.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M
Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
But you also claimed the most expensive AMD CPU on newegg was $189, considering they've been selling the new 8 core for a few days now that's hardly the case.

Also like natrab mentioned, you can find the i7-2600k for the same price as the AMD 8 core CPU, and still according to the benchmark site you posted it smokes the AMD 8 core and would end up costing the same(since everyone selling the new AMD CPU has it for $280)
Ok, so I didn't go all over the internet searching for absolutely the highest priced AMD that I could possibly find. I went to Newegg and searched. Tell me what you see on that page? I then went and did another Newegg search and found an Intel processor that matched the price. After that, I looked at the benchmarks for those two processors that cost the same from Newegg. Did I, like, kill the Pope or something???

Oh, and I provided links so that anyone could follow what I was doing. Can you reciprocate?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

I went with the Z68 chipset so that I could use the small SSD for hard drive caching. Intel calls it Smart Response Technology:

Intel Z68 Chipset & Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) Review

You gain some drive performance without having to buy a giant SSD.
Old 10-27-2011, 1:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Ok, so I didn't go all over the internet searching for absolutely the highest priced AMD that I could possibly find. I went to Newegg and searched. Tell me what you see on that page? I then went and did another Newegg search and found an Intel processor that matched the price. After that, I looked at the benchmarks for those two processors that cost the same from Newegg. Did I, like, kill the Pope or something???

Oh, and I provided links so that anyone could follow what I was doing. Can you reciprocate?

Reciprocate what? The performance numbers I mentioned were from the link you already provided. I also provided the model numbers that you can easily search for on newegg.com, I mentioned where I got my pricing from and someone else mentioned another site where you could get the i7-2600k for less.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category...PUs-Processors

Try clicking on the first ad on the page labeled "What's New" with the big text about AMD's 8 core processors. Or just copy the text from my post and paste the model into the search box on newegg.com.

Why is it people act like information is so difficult to find. If I tell you what website and what the model is, search for it.

edit: Here it is since you can't be bothered to highlight some text, hit ctrl+c, paste it into the search box and hit enter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103960

Last edited by Merc1138; 10-27-2011 at 1:13 PM..
Old 10-27-2011, 1:15 PM
Calguns Addict

meh, the benefit of virtual cores only goes so far. most apps wont even utilize 2.

"It is to secure our rights that we resort to government at all." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-27-2011, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
meh, the benefit of virtual cores only goes so far. most apps wont even utilize 2.
Yep, and that is why the new AMD benchmarks so poorly. Windows is unable to efficiently utilize those 8 cores, so you end up using only 2 or 4 of them.
Old 10-27-2011, 3:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yep, and that is why the new AMD benchmarks so poorly. Windows is unable to efficiently utilize those 8 cores, so you end up using only 2 or 4 of them.
But that's just it, windows can use 8 cores if the application is multi-threaded for it. The single core performance of AMD's previous 6 core CPU beats the 8 core version. This is basically taking a 3 liter v6, and then making a newer 3 liter v8. You have the same displacement, smaller cylinders, require more spark plugs, parts, etc.

The bottom line, is that for a new product I expect it to out-perform or be on par for performance but cost less than the competition that's been out for almost a year and force Intel to keeps it's cost down(which is what AMD has done in the past, forcing Intel to keep costs reasonable or produce a faster product) it does neither.
Old 10-27-2011, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
But that's just it, windows can use 8 cores if the application is multi-threaded for it. The single core performance of AMD's previous 6 core CPU beats the 8 core version. This is basically taking a 3 liter v6, and then making a newer 3 liter v8. You have the same displacement, smaller cylinders, require more spark plugs, parts, etc.

The bottom line, is that for a new product I expect it to out-perform or be on par for performance but cost less than the competition that's been out for almost a year and force Intel to keeps it's cost down(which is what AMD has done in the past, forcing Intel to keep costs reasonable or produce a faster product) it does neither.
And once Microsoft patches Windows to optimize the AMD's capabilities?

Old 10-27-2011, 3:56 PM
CGN Contributor

I'm running 2nd gen SB, but I really am rooting for AMD. I hope they gain more market share. ARM too. Intel has too much control of the market. Choice is good.
Old 10-27-2011, 4:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Why do you think Windows can't handle 8 cores? Windows can handle it, has been able to for years. The applications need to handle it, or if they can't then you run more than one application at a time. The only thing Microsoft would need to patch into Windows would be support for a new instruction set(and even then the application would still need to use it) which is not the case here. Microsoft didn't need to patch anything for AMDs 6 core CPU, heck server 2008 R2 datacenter edition will support 64 cores(support for this is limited in lower end versions of windows) so it's not like MS needs to do anything.

Like I said, 1 core from AMDs over 6 core CPU runs faster than 1 core from AMDs newest CPU. That's why the thing doesn't perform so well. It's a less efficient design that is a brute force approach to getting the job done. This is just like back when AMD first made massive gains in market share from Intel toward the end of the single core CPU days when Intel did nothing but market megahertz and had no performance gains to match the clock speed. With this product AMD is marketing "more cores!" with no gain.

Last edited by Merc1138; 10-27-2011 at 4:16 PM..
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Why do you think Windows can't handle 8 cores? Windows can handle it, has been able to for years. The applications need to handle it, or if they can't then you run more than one application at a time. The only thing Microsoft would need to patch into Windows would be support for a new instruction set(and even then the application would still need to use it) which is not the case here. Microsoft didn't need to patch anything for AMDs 6 core CPU, heck server 2008 R2 datacenter edition will support 64 cores(support for this is limited in lower end versions of windows) so it's not like MS needs to do anything.

Like I said, 1 core from AMDs over 6 core CPU runs faster than 1 core from AMDs newest CPU. That's why the thing doesn't perform so well. It's a less efficient design that is a brute force approach to getting the job done. This is just like back when AMD first made massive gains in market share from Intel toward the end of the single core CPU days when Intel did nothing but market megahertz and had no performance gains to match the clock speed. With this product AMD is marketing "more cores!" with no gain.
Sorry that it took me a while to get back to you on this. I got busy and haven't had a chance to go back and find what I had previously read about Windows playing nice with the new AMD. Anyway, here is the interesting part as commented on by a Microsoft person:

Quote:
But this does force us to address the relationship between AMD’s hardware and the software that’ll invariably run on it. In Intel Core i5 And Core i7: Intel’s Mainstream Magnum Opus, I brought up specific optimizations in Windows 7 that were the product of collaboration between Intel and Microsoft—notably, core parking. Windows 7 intelligently schedules to physical cores before utilizing logical (Hyper-Threaded) cores.

In theory, AMD could benefit from the same thing. If Windows were able to utilize an FX-8150’s four modules first, and then backfill each module’s second core, it’d maximize performance with up to four threads running concurrently. This isn’t the case, though. According to Arun Kishan, software design engineer at Microsoft, each module is currently detected as two cores that are scheduled equally. So, in a dual-threaded application, you might see one active module and three idle modules—great for optimizing power, but theoretically less ideal from a performance standpoint. This also plays havoc with AMD’s claim that, when only one thread is active, it has full access to shared resources. Adding just one additional thread could tie up those shared resources, even as multiple other modules sit idle.

Microsoft is looking to change that behavior moving forward, though. Arun says that the dual-core modules have performance characteristics more similar to SMT than physical cores, so the company is looking to detect and treat them the same as Hyper-Threading in the future. The implications there would be significant. Performance would unquestionably improve, while AMD’s efforts to spin down idle modules would be made less effective.
Full Article Here

Old 10-28-2011, 1:53 PM
Banned

8 core is so 2002

100 core

Old 10-28-2011, 2:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Sorry that it took me a while to get back to you on this. I got busy and haven't had a chance to go back and find what I had previously read about Windows playing nice with the new AMD. Anyway, here is the interesting part as commented on by a Microsoft person:

Full Article Here

That still doesn't explain AMD's older processor with less cores having better individual core performance than the 8 core. It also doesn't explain away the poor performance on linux compared to a 4 core Intel CPU(again, the support for more than 8 cores has been there for years), or the higher power consumption.

8 crappy cores < 6 less crappy cores < 4 better cores
Old 10-28-2011, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Competition is a very good thing.

If there were no Apple, we would still be typing c:/ to start the day.

If there were no MS, top of the line would be a 150mhz at $3000.
I guess you are unfamiliar with patent #3541541, Engelbart, or X at MIT? If there were no Apple, we would be using windows on a Unix based computer... such as the current Mac.

If there were no Intel, we would not get stuck with a segmentation based architecture microprocessor and loose about a decade of worthwhile advances.

At least Apple picked the right microprocessor architecture from the beginning for the Mac.
Old 10-28-2011, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

the applications you run will STILL need to handle 8 threads.

if windows uses all 8 threads, big whoop. windows is pretty low overhead.

"It is to secure our rights that we resort to government at all." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-28-2011, 4:02 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
This is basically taking a 3 liter v6, and then making a newer 3 liter v8. You have the same displacement, smaller cylinders, require more spark plugs, parts, etc.
But the engine can now spin faster, making more horsepower...

-- Michael
Old 10-28-2011, 4:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
But the engine can now spin faster, making more horsepower...

-- Michael
Not if you did a bad job of it. There is more to it than just having more cylinders, which was my point.
Old 10-28-2011, 4:13 PM

doesnt matter much anyway, the intitial benchmark tests say that the "bulldozer" as theyre calling it only performs as well as the first generation i7 980x and for the price and it having 8 cores you would expect more bang for the buck. i am dissapointed. heck it only performed 19% better then the first gen i5. but amd is always cheaper so well see what they do when the second gen i precessors take off

Last edited by whatpain; 10-28-2011 at 4:29 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 11-07-2011, 5:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Not if you did a bad job of it. There is more to it than just having more cylinders, which was my point.
More cylinders is better!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron
W16 quad turbo or bust.
Old 11-07-2011, 7:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Big deal, the i5-2500k spanks it... and is cheaper.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-07-2011, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

AMD failed totally in the desktop market this go round. We need competition, AMD is not providing it. Now the AMD 12 and soon 16 core Opterons are definitely a strong contender in the Server market. Just wish they could bring such solid competitiveness to the desktop
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 11-08-2011, 9:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Us3rName View Post
like I said.

out of the loop.

When 64bit OS were starting to roll in was when there were talks on hardware related bottle necking.

this was when 1gb of ram was $100+

I just bought 2gb for $60 last week!
8 gig Patriot DDR3/1333 is $35 at Microcenter... you got had
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb
Old 11-08-2011, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
the applications you run will STILL need to handle 8 threads.

if windows uses all 8 threads, big whoop. windows is pretty low overhead.
You can assign processor affinity...

I'm stoked for more cores for all my VMs. I wouldn't use one of these things in a desktop though... its kind of weak for what it costs vs. anything Intel has out right now.
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb
Old 11-08-2011, 9:35 AM
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmastar View Post
I guess you are unfamiliar with patent #3541541, Engelbart, or X at MIT? If there were no Apple, we would be using windows on a Unix based computer... such as the current Mac.

If there were no Intel, we would not get stuck with a segmentation based architecture microprocessor and loose about a decade of worthwhile advances.

At least Apple picked the right microprocessor architecture from the beginning for the Mac.
Very unfamiliar. So unfamiliar I did not understand a word of that.

I was talking about marketing, and am right. You are referring to some tech gibberish and might be right as well.

And, it's lose, not loose...........my spellcheck would have caught that.