Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-16-2014, 8:01 PM
Banned

Default Ruger or Remington?

Folks,

My Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator .308 arrived at American Gun Works and I DROS it out. The trigger is sweet and the fit and finish on rifle is nothing less than outstanding. Which has me asking, maybe its apples and oranges, but who in your mind makes a better rifle for the money?.
Ruger Predator, controlled feed, excellent 2 stage trigger, excellent finish. Remington, push feed, single stage trigger, excellent finish. 1:10 twist rate for the Ruger, 1:12 for the Remington SPS Tacticals I own. Good for heavy bullets, the 1:10 twist.
I understand that some folks do not like the fact the Ruger is made from castings. But I find the Ruger more esthetically pleasing. It reminds me of the Mauser.
I had to send a Remington SPS Tactical for repairs they sent me a new rifle. The receiver I believe was out of spec.
I would like to hear from all, good , bad, indifferent on your opinions of the 2 brands. Pluses and minuses. A2
Old 02-16-2014, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Both have issues from my experience. The Remington 700 is discussed more often and there is much more aftermarket support so I can only assume it's more popular.

I owned both but now only have a Ruger Hawkeye in 308. I like and dislike something about both it and the 700.

After a redundant amount of thinking about both I ended up with the a Ruger but shortly after dros'ing it I posted it for sale, then decided to keep it and shortened the barrel.

I'm no help to answering your question at all!
Old 02-16-2014, 8:24 PM
Banned

Default Smitty....no sweat.

Smitty,

Don't sweat it, I am just relaxing just seeing what people think.A2
Old 02-16-2014, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I owned both over the years and I could have just as easily ended up with a Remington.

My new Ruger 77/357 had to go back because it was shooting terribly, then the replacement rifle they pulled off the line failed their testing but finally they got me a good one. One good one out of 3 is poor quality control IMO but I ended up with a good one and I really love that rifle.

The first Remington 700 I owned fired when I pushed the safety off so I returned it. It was new from the factory that way. Then I bought a Savage, Browning, CZ, Ruger, another Savage, another 700, etc., and now my hunting rifle is the Hawkeye.

Last edited by smittty; 02-16-2014 at 8:45 PM..
Old 02-16-2014, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

A purely political opinion but go with Remington, I'm not to happy with Ruger right now and don't plan to buy many (if any) of their products because of their decision to back out of CA. I may change my mind if they decide to litigate the roster and microstamping.

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Old 02-16-2014, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
A purely political opinion but go with Remington, I'm not to happy with Ruger right now and don't plan to buy many (if any) of their products because of their decision to back out of CA. I may change my mind if they decide to litigate the roster and microstamping.
I think they need to stop supporting the roster if we're to get rid of it. All the manufactures should stop supporting it.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
I think they need to stop supporting the roster if we're to get rid of it. All the manufactures should stop supporting it.
That's what the gun banners ultimately want.
NO new handguns for sale in the state.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
I don't see it as they backed out of CA. More like CA is pushing them out.
Is Remington's 1911 for sale in CA?

As far as the Remington vs Ruger. I like both.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
I don't see it as they backed out of CA.
More like CA is pushing them out.
Exactly.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 02-17-2014, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
I don't see it as they backed out of CA. More like CA is pushing them out.
You got understand the bigger picture with this. It may seem like they are giving up but it's the opposite, this is just the first step in battling the roster. Really all the manufacturer should team up and but greed will win and someone like Glock will continue to play the roster game.

At least ruger and S&W are willing to stick their necks out to fight California over the roster.
Old 02-17-2014, 8:49 AM

Quote:
You got understand the bigger picture with this. It may seem like they are giving up but it's the opposite, this is just the first step in battling the roster. Really all the manufacturer should team up and but greed will win and someone like Glock will continue to play the roster game.

At least ruger and S&W are willing to stick their necks out to fight California over the roster.
+1! It's a legal chess match that's being played out. Some short-term loss is required for better long-term positioning. Most consumers and the politicians responsible for these idiotic laws have no idea what's coming.

To keep it on topic. I've owned .308's in R700, Vanguard, and M77. My opinion is that they are pretty close off the rack when you compare their ~$500 base rifles. You pay more for certain variants with upgraded features (CDL, Backcountry, Predator, etc.), but all these designs have been around for decades with minor tweaks.

Buy the one that makes you happy. If you get a lemon, get rid of it and roll the dice again.
Old 02-17-2014, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Not sure how you got I don't understand big picture? I don't think they're giving up but being pushed out and in Remington's case not let in, haven't seen a Remington 1911 for sale anywhere in CA.
I do agree all manufacturers need to stick together and that we the people need to stick together and not blame the manufacturer because CA pushed them out or made it impossible to inter.

Back to the Ruger vs Remington. I have both Ruger & Remington rifles of various models. I may just be lucky but haven't got a bad one from either manufacturer.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Derail
Old 02-17-2014, 4:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Detoured back on topic

I find the new Remington 700 bolts pretty smooth compared to the new ruger hawkeye bolts and aside from that the bolts feel and sound different. I'm more satisfied working the bolt on the hawkeye and I enjoy the bolt on my 77/357 even more. It's not something I can describe but I feel the difference and it's why I bought the Rugers.

My least enjoyable bolt is the Browning A-bolt. I find it boring.
Old 02-18-2014, 1:47 PM

I solved the same dilemma by buying one of each.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Sam Adams