Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-25-2013, 2:57 PM

Default Slide not locking back after final round

Had this happen twice to me yesterday with my new to me glock 19... and I do recall this happening a couple times with my glock 23. Gun went bang everytime, so I never really paid too much attention to it, or tried to diagnose it.

Is this typically related to anything specific? magazine, ammo etc?

I grip the gun really high, thumbs forward almost riding the side of the slide... could I just have put anough preasure on the slide release to cause that?
Old 02-25-2013, 3:01 PM

Could be the magazine or your thumb riding the slide catch. If it only happens with one mag, probably the mag, otherwise, probably the thumb.
Old 02-25-2013, 3:02 PM

^^ probably. best way to check, shoot left handed, or make a super conscious effort to keep your thumb away.
Old 02-25-2013, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Very likely. Try shooting it with a different grip and see what happens.

The slide on my Sig doesn't lock back because of how I grip the gun, but it doesn't bother me that much.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 02-25-2013, 3:05 PM
Veteran Member

I have done that before, just as I started reloading I started using a different grip and kept holding the slide release without realizing it. I kept thinking I made my loads too light. Took me awhile to figure out what I was doing . Felt really stupid.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 02-25-2013, 3:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

All of the above. If it only happens on ONE MAG then think about replacing the Mag Spring. If it happens with all your mags: Probably you thumbing the slide release or in rare instances, the spring on the slide release is re-installed over the pin instead of under the pin causing a weak spring action. Install the top pin BEFORE installing the bottom pin/slide release to cure this rare problem.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 02-25-2013, 3:08 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I attached the part relating to this from the armorers' manual,

Last edited by DVSmith; 12-05-2016 at 5:03 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

Either follower, slide catch (prob. not if only happening every now & then), or thumb (most likely)
Old 02-25-2013, 3:15 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

If you've had this happen before with another glock, you may be limp wristing the gun. Lock your wrist and see if that helps. Riding the slide lock is another possibility.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 02-25-2013, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

It's almost always your thumb preventing the slide stop from engaging. Happens all the time to me with sigs due to my grip and their location & shape. Also happens to me with XD's.
Easiest way to check is to shoot one handed and see if it locks back.

Sent from classified location using Tapatalk.
Old 02-25-2013, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

When gripping with thumbs forward, try placing the strong-hand thumb on top of your weak-hand thumb knuckle as opposed to putting your strong-hand thumb up against the gun. (hope that at least made some sense..)
Old 02-25-2013, 3:43 PM
Banned

I never experienced this problem until using factory Glock 10 round mags. In fact, I never had any Glock feeding issues until using the 10 round mags. Those mags are known to be more problematic than the standard capacity mags.

It could very well be your thumb riding the slide catch, but for me it was a magazine issue. If you have the chance to use a standard mag, give it a shot and see if the problem persists. Mine went away magically when I left CA...
Old 02-25-2013, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

The only reason the 10rounders are a little less reliable is because the followers on the 10 rounders don't angle the nose of the bullet as high up as the standard followers. The only issues that this has caused me (and rarely) is an occasional nose dive into the feedramp when using hollowpoints.. I don't see how the 10 round followers would mess with the last round slide lock feature though; the part that pushes up on the slide lever after the last round is the same of both followers (I THINK)
Old 02-25-2013, 5:05 PM
Banned

Sadly I don't have both in front of me right now. I got rid of my 10 rounders a while back.
Old 02-25-2013, 8:22 PM

put a unloaded mag in and rack the slide and see if it stays back , if it does it is you and if it does not it is probably the mag
Old 02-25-2013, 8:29 PM

It's probably the meat of your left hand preventing the slide stop from popping up. I use a really high thumbs forward grip on my M&P and it sometimes doesn't lock back, and the slide stop on that thing is tiny. It happens all the time on my Beretta Cougar with its huge slide stop, which is a big reason why I don't shoot it anymore.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:27 AM

I had the same problem with my 9mm 1911 when using WWB ammo. Any other brand of ammo was fine.

So I locked the slide back and put the pistol in my safe for a week. After that it shot the white box ammo fine. I guess it was a stiff spring.