Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Banned

Default Rules for importing a Private party purchase handgun...

I am contimplating buying a SiG P228 from a private party out of state. it is still on the safe gun roster until the March 27, 2013.

Can the seller simply send the weapon to my FFL directly or does he have to have an FFl send it to my FFL?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM

that depends on what youre FFL is willing to accept
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Many dealers won't accept a shipment from a non FFL. It's not the law -- but, just a policy. So, one needs to find a transfer dealer who will accept from a private party -- or the seller must ship using a dealer.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Banned

Thanks Desertfox(Erwin??) and littlejake...
Old 02-25-2013, 7:30 PM

Confirmed. Having moved out of CA like 9 months ago and having sold and shipped multiple handguns to CA residents since, it is 100% legal to ship a gun from me, a private person, directly to an FFL in California. However, not all of them are willing to accept guns from private parties (they're worried about mistakes in paperwork, etc). Most of them that do require certain things to be included with the gun like a copy of the seller's driver's license and sometimes other information. Some FFLs in CA and anywhere else will only accept a shipment from another FFL.

So... ask your FFL. If they will accept a gun from a private party, ask them if there is any paperwork that they require, and let your seller know so he/she includes everything necessary.

My YouTube Channel
Old 02-26-2013, 9:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
Confirmed. Having moved out of CA like 9 months ago and having sold and shipped multiple handguns to CA residents since, it is 100% legal to ship a gun from me, a private person, directly to an FFL in California. However, not all of them are willing to accept guns from private parties (they're worried about mistakes in paperwork, etc). Most of them that do require certain things to be included with the gun like a copy of the seller's driver's license and sometimes other information. Some FFLs in CA and anywhere else will only accept a shipment from another FFL.

So... ask your FFL. If they will accept a gun from a private party, ask them if there is any paperwork that they require, and let your seller know so he/she includes everything necessary.
Thank you for the update!