Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-21-2018, 1:56 PM

Default History of the Korean Garand and M1 Carbine import ban

I came back into firearms about 5 years back after an almost two decade absence. I own a Korean imported Garand and know that they had stopped being imported, so I was interested in the story on this when my interest in firearms was revived. I wasn’t aware that back in 2009 – 2010 we almost got some Garands and M1 Carbines back from Korea. Read below if you weren’t aware of it too and are interested in why we didn’t. I have lastly also briefly written about my own Korean Garand import.

Just think…there are 87,000+ M1 Garands and 750,000 M1 carbines sitting in Korea that Koreans wanted to sell back to U.S. (Yeah…they probably got them for free from our government through our military assistance programs and now the Koreans want to sell them back to us…smart people…huh!).

However, they have been blocked from returning since the Obama administration denied their importation back in 2010 (it seems that Century Arms International wanted to import them in 2009…and at first, there were no objections).

Regarding the Korean Garands and M1 Carbines, one of the ban protagonists in a article below begins a statement to one of his arguments with “They clearly were used as military guns”, ignoring their history and grouping them with today’s weapons of war even though the military declared them obsolete back in the late 1950’s and many will be going on around 80 years of age soon.

Does banning a piece of American history from returning because of fear of how dangerous they may be make sense to you ? Well take this into consideration, a returned Korean Garand would seem to me to be no more dangerous than some of the battle rifles you can buy on the commercial market today, like the M1A, FAL and PTR 91 which unlike the Garand, are all magazine fed.

Some history on this situation and firearms importation restrictions is given in the URL links below. Most of the information for some of the statements in my forum post come from the first link below:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...-m-rifles.html

https://sofrep.com/75152/koreas-m1-r...un-store-near/

http://www.guns.com/2017/01/27/could...n-gun-imports/

One of the articles mentions that President Reagan approved the importation of 200.000 M1 Garands back in 1987. I don’t think I’ve heard of any of them being used in a crime; and most likely, they are not on a criminal’s favorite weapons to use list. I must have bought one of the 200,000 Korean Garands because around 1991 I bought a “Blue Sky” M1 Garand and also a Blue Sky Saginaw M1 Carbine before that in 1990. I eventually sold the M1 Carbine for about 400...if my memory is correct (I’ve got a couple of other M1 carbines, one that came into the civilian hands from the DCM, the ancestor of the CMP, and another commercial IAI M1 carbine I just shoot for fun and plinking).

What can you expect from a Korean M1 Garand if those overseas rifles ever come back? Well, the barrel on my Blue Sky was about 50%, head spacing was in tolerance. I looked up the serial number of my Garand and it was manufactured around November 1944. The milling and machining on the receiver still looked clean and crisp inside and out. The stock was rather loose and worn as well as the handguards. I bought it as a shooter and I figure it is a parts Garand anyway, so I didn’t mind buying a new Boyds M1 Garand stock and some better fitting USGI handguards for it. The only other thing I replaced was the operating rod spring. There are others who complained about the importer’s stamp deforming the barrel or the barrel being completely worn out. I didn’t have these problems with mine, so perhaps a good Korean Garand will be luck of the draw if they ever come back…bring a bore light with you and a 30.06 M2 ball round to perform a bullet drop test down the muzzle as a on the spot rough check if you or a gunsmith cannot do a detailed examination with the proper gauges. That is all I had with me when I bought mine.

Needless to say, despite the problems one may encounter with these rifles, I think any M1 Garand (and M1 carbine) returned to America is a good thing for Curio & Relic aficionados. Let’s hope that welcome mat will be put out one day for some of those pieces of history to return from Korea. They have certainly earned their place in American history and a good home coming.

My Korean Blue Sky M1 Garand :

And oh!...what did I pay for it?,,,$247.01 ...cash and carry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue-sky-M1-Grand.jpg (27.6 KB, 189 views)
Old 06-22-2018, 1:53 AM

My Blue Sky M1 Carbine I bought in 1985 "looked" nice but was a worn out piece of junk
The importer refinished the rifles just so they would sell
Only good thing is I ony paid
$150 for it then
Old 06-22-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
My Blue Sky M1 Carbine I bought in 1985 "looked" nice but was a worn out piece of junk
The importer refinished the rifles just so they would sell
Only good thing is I ony paid
$150 for it then
You're right about that, most of them seemed to be junk slapped together...loose receiver-trigger housing assemblies, mis-matched and shaking furniture...etc. etc.... I looked at several before I picked one out. I believed I paid about 170.00 bucks for mine after sales tax... cash and carry out the door. The arsenal rebuild markings on the stock intrigued me and I found a correct M1 handguard for it (the M2 handguard intended for a beefier M2 stock did not seem right for the M1 stock).