Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-20-2018, 8:16 AM

Default 1890 WRF convert to LR

Has anyone attempted to reline a WRF 1890 to LR ?
Old 06-22-2018, 1:44 AM
Veteran Member

Wouldn't be any more trouble than lining a .22LR barrel. It won't feed .22LR without some internal parts changing though.Talk to kendog4570 here on the forums about relining, he's located in Oakhurst.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 PM

Hello Trap55,
I've been shooting LRs thru this rifle (1890 WRF) without fail. I can even empty the magazine slam-style. No misfeeds.

What I did was to put a 3/8" hardwood plug in the lifter. That's it. Although the WRF cartridge is slightly bigger and the bolt is slightly wider than the LR bolt, it does not seem to matter. Now, the LRs don't shoot straight worth a darn, and there is a lot of case expansion and about half are split. But the fact is that they cycle and shoot. That's no BS. This is a 1911 rifle and the bore is like a coal mine. I figure if the LRs extract ok with a loose chamber, the extractor will work equally well with a tightened up chamber. Just have to make sure it is not too tight.

I'll talk to kendog4570, I also know the guys at American Bluing in Pinole. They do some pretty fine work and they do a very fine lining job. Thanks Trap!!
Old 10-22-2018, 7:54 PM

American Bluing in Rodeo, CA performed a superb relining job of my 1911, Winchester 1890 in WRF converting it to a 22 lr. As described in my prior post, the bone stock original WRF rifle could shoot and cycle 22 lr without issue.

After the relining, it works perfectly, and now it is a tack driver. Moral of the story, find a good gunsmith you can work with and take a chance. Works perfectly.

Word to the wise, I would have relined in 22 WRF or to WMR (that I have heard some do), but the lining job for WRF is about twice the price $475 than the 22lr at $250. Both can be done, but with the new Browning 22lr 40 gr hollow points at 1,435 fps, who needs a 22 Mag?