Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-07-2021, 12:58 PM
RNE228 RNE228 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,898
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Shooting after shoulder injury

Dislocated shoulder back in January. Recuperation and PT is going well.

Kind of different question to ask, but how long did you wait to resume shooting? Anyone with similar experience?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-07-2021, 1:03 PM
Tarmy's Avatar
Tarmy Tarmy is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,838
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I had rotator cuff, bone Spurs, and several torn muscles in my shoulder operated on and was shooting about 6 months later.

I did a very aggressive rehab and followed the stretching and workout directions. I still exercise and stretch my shoulder daily...and it still is trouble, pain and ache free to this day. Those exercises are critical to maintaining flexibility and strength that helps protect my shoulder from further injury.

Busting off 100 rounds in my 12 GA does still have some soreness if I not careful...

Maybe ask you doctor for some advice about strength training and stretching exercises...
__________________
Wilson Protector .45, Springer 9mm Loaded, Franchi Instinct SL .12ga. and some other cool stuff for the kiddos...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-07-2021, 1:38 PM
shovelon's Avatar
shovelon shovelon is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SFV, Ca.
Posts: 1,563
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy View Post
I had rotator cuff, bone Spurs, and several torn muscles in my shoulder operated on and was shooting about 6 months later.

I did a very aggressive rehab and followed the stretching and workout directions. I still exercise and stretch my shoulder daily...and it still is trouble, pain and ache free to this day. Those exercises are critical to maintaining flexibility and strength that helps protect my shoulder from further injury.

Busting off 100 rounds in my 12 GA does still have some soreness if I not careful...

Maybe ask you doctor for some advice about strength training and stretching exercises...
Time to start reloading and shoot a kinder gentler 12 ga shell. ceh383 turned me onto a 1 oz. claybuster recipe that is surprisingly soft.
__________________
Alfred E. Neuman 2020

"The Hillary Clinton school of failure."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-07-2021, 3:45 PM
whutsup40's Avatar
whutsup40 whutsup40 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Beach cities (socal)
Posts: 2,256
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I had my left shoulder done and was shooting in 6 weeks, But i'm right handed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-07-2021, 4:01 PM
pzbike pzbike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Shingle Springs
Posts: 366
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

It’s difficult to predict a time frame. Everyone is different. Be diligent with PT, ALL of the ROM and strengthening exercises.
Good luck, you’ll get better!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-07-2021, 4:30 PM
CWL's Avatar
CWL CWL is offline
I Pity the Fool!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,365
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I think this is a question best asked of your Ortho & physical therapist.

Nobody else's injury will be the same as yours and includes other factors such as general health, age, other complications, etc. Listening to bad advice can mess up your shoulder again.
__________________
Vae Victis
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-07-2021, 4:53 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 6,464
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Shoulder surgery. One year to fire rifles. 2 years to fire shotguns. Shooting shotguns can still be a religious experience if I don't get the butt of the gun in the right spot.

Much depends, however, on the extent and type of damage. There is no universal answer. Talk to your doctor and see what he has to say. Then take it slowly. I would suggest only firing a couple of rounds the first day...and then see how you feel the next day. Increase from there as appropriate.
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot

Last edited by L84CABO; 04-08-2021 at 5:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-07-2021, 4:58 PM
Milsurp1's Avatar
Milsurp1 Milsurp1 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Not in California
Posts: 2,750
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

Much of it depends whether the surgery was on your primary arm or weak arm.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2021, 5:10 PM
Tarmy's Avatar
Tarmy Tarmy is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,838
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
Time to start reloading and shoot a kinder gentler 12 ga shell. ceh383 turned me onto a 1 oz. claybuster recipe that is surprisingly soft.
What fun is that....

What I need to do is buy another gun...I am eyeing an A400

I shoot quit a bit in summer...but not too often other than that. I have looked into reloading...and a bunch of my buddies reload...I just never got the urge.
__________________
Wilson Protector .45, Springer 9mm Loaded, Franchi Instinct SL .12ga. and some other cool stuff for the kiddos...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-07-2021, 5:24 PM
Ducky's Dad Ducky's Dad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 623
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
What I need to do is buy another gun...I am eyeing an A400
I have an 80% tear in my right (shooting) rotator cuff. Trying to avoid surgery because I am old and have learned to live with some limitations. Doc told me to stop hunting, so I went to small bores in doubles and O/U's, worked my way up from .410's to 12's, stopped when it started to hurt. That basically forced me to get a dreaded gas gun for ducks, just so I could keep hunting. Bought a Win SX3, liked it so much that I now own three (two 12s and a 20). Really don't need any other shotguns, but I still shoot my old ones whenever the shoulder feels OK. There are (usually) lots of moderate recoil factory loads for all gauges and game, but current market conditions dictate reloading.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-07-2021, 5:26 PM
M1NM's Avatar
M1NM M1NM is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Covina
Posts: 7,763
iTrader: 54 / 100%
Default

Switch sides. This ain't the Army. They won't make you shoot right handed.
__________________
Ruger No1 - 1A-7x57 1B-300WinMag 1H-458WinMag 1RSI-30-06 1S-7mmRemMag 1V-.223 K1V- 22-250Rem
I find it difficult to maintain my hermit existence in a tract home.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2021, 8:20 PM
ceh383's Avatar
ceh383 ceh383 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 1,998
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
Time to start reloading and shoot a kinder gentler 12 ga shell. ceh383 turned me onto a 1 oz. claybuster recipe that is surprisingly soft.
Glad you like the load, but it came straight from the alliant web site
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy View Post
What fun is that....

What I need to do is buy another gun...I am eyeing an A400

I shoot quit a bit in summer...but not too often other than that. I have looked into reloading...and a bunch of my buddies reload...I just never got the urge.
What fun is that...
When I do my part, it absolutely crushes clay targets. That is a lot of fun
But I do understand wanting to buy another gun, I've bought 3 new shotguns so far this year
__________________
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

My page...Give me some feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2021, 12:57 AM
aztecw aztecw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 100
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I have bad shoulders and went with a 20 gauge, much more forgiving.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2021, 8:39 AM
RNE228 RNE228 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,898
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I'm working with my Ortho and PT for sure on the question.

Was just curious of others experiences.

My injury was dislocation; no surgery. Damn ladders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
I think this is a question best asked of your Ortho & physical therapist.

Nobody else's injury will be the same as yours and includes other factors such as general health, age, other complications, etc. Listening to bad advice can mess up your shoulder again.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2021, 9:20 AM
md2020 md2020 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 88
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post
I have an 80% tear in my right (shooting) rotator cuff. Trying to avoid surgery because I am old and have learned to live with some limitations. Doc told me to stop hunting, so I went to small bores in doubles and O/U's, worked my way up from .410's to 12's, stopped when it started to hurt. That basically forced me to get a dreaded gas gun for ducks, just so I could keep hunting. Bought a Win SX3, liked it so much that I now own three (two 12s and a 20). Really don't need any other shotguns, but I still shoot my old ones whenever the shoulder feels OK. There are (usually) lots of moderate recoil factory loads for all gauges and game, but current market conditions dictate reloading.
Why avoid the surgery?

about 9 years ago, I crashed my dirtbike in the mountains and did major damage to my rotator cuff, scapula, collar bone and shoulder area. Took 6 hours to fix under the knife and they added some hardware to hold it together.

Without the surgery, they were telling me that I'd still be able to grab a small box of sugar from the top shelf of the cabinet. With the surgery, I have little or no limitations.

The pain stopped and went away after I regained full flexibility. why not go that route. Takes three to four months to get back to doing what you want to do and maybe a year before you forget that you were ever hurt.

Then maybe you have no limits...
__________________
Maurice


---------------------------------------------

Browning Citori 725 Sporting
Tristar Viper G2 Sporting
Tristar Sporting O/U (aka Turkish Junk)
MEC 9000 to reload
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-08-2021, 9:32 AM
W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
W.R.Buchanan W.R.Buchanan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ojai CA
Posts: 1,872
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy View Post
What fun is that....

What I need to do is buy another gun...I am eyeing an A400

I shoot quit a bit in summer...but not too often other than that. I have looked into reloading...and a bunch of my buddies reload...I just never got the urge.
I love the Airbus A 400 Atlas. I think it is one of the coolest looking A400's ever built. Kind of like a cross between a C130 and a C17. Gotta love 8 Bladed Scimitar Props.

You won't have any shoulder problems with one of these A400's and you can bring your car or truck with you!

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A400M Atlas 2.jpg (83.7 KB, 76 views)
__________________
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-08-2021 at 9:44 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-08-2021, 9:46 AM
A-J's Avatar
A-J A-J is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,418
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

I broke my collarbone several years ago and it hurt like a bitch to shoot my 12 gauge. I bought a gel butt pad for it to replace the OEM plastic and it was like night and day. Soooo much better to shot now and with zero pain.
__________________
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-08-2021, 10:52 AM
SoftHeart SoftHeart is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 293
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

These ease things 4 me quite a bit; I upgraded my pumps to a Magpul w/a better cheek weld, and a Kynshot "No Kick" buffer tube which is essentially a shock absorber 4 a shotgun.


Then I got two of the biggest Bubba recoil pads Limbsaver makes, the Nitro, which are about 1 1/2" thick.







I bought 2 medium size Nitros, and 2 large; the mediums fit pretty well w/o any grinding. These are the large size I have left. Both new, even though one of the packages is a little crinkled. I'll sell either one for half of what I paid for, if you or anybody needs one.






Here's the No Kick buffer tube in action....



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0j_-dXhzdw



BTW: That ain't me shooting like that.

Last edited by SoftHeart; 04-08-2021 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-08-2021, 12:03 PM
Tarmy's Avatar
Tarmy Tarmy is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,838
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
I love the Airbus A 400 Atlas. I think it is one of the coolest looking A400's ever built. Kind of like a cross between a C130 and a C17. Gotta love 8 Bladed Scimitar Props.

You won't have any shoulder problems with one of these A400's and you can bring your car or truck with you!

Randy

Just a tiny bit out of my price range...not the cost mind you...but the O&M!

But I do like the way you think.
__________________
Wilson Protector .45, Springer 9mm Loaded, Franchi Instinct SL .12ga. and some other cool stuff for the kiddos...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-09-2021, 9:31 AM
Ducky's Dad Ducky's Dad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 623
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Why avoid the surgery?
I was planning to do the surgery, but life got in the way. I need surgery on my ankle (two torn ligaments) and the shoulder doc told me to do the ankle surgery first because he did not want me on crutches with a recently repaired shoulder. Then my wife got cancer so I shut off my issues, and now I'm 73 and have learned to live with the shoulder and the ankle issues. Shoulder doc told me the shoulder recovery will be six to eight months, and no guarantee that it will be successful. Won't know until he gets in there. So I weighed all the options and decided that gas guns and good boots with an ankle brace were the best way to go. I have six gas guns and a huge supply of low recoil ammo in 12, 20, 16, and .410, so I'm OK for a few years.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-09-2021, 9:46 AM
SoftHeart SoftHeart is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 293
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

You and me and a lot of folks our age, are in the same boat, old and w/various issues and challenges, but I think you'd agree that there are a boatload of folks in the cemetery that would trade places w/us in a second.

You sound like you're up to the challenge of dealing w/whatever comes up.

Life at any age is worth living.


BTW: I plan on living til I'm 140----I'm halfway there.

Last edited by SoftHeart; 04-09-2021 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-09-2021, 10:16 AM
md2020 md2020 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 88
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post
I was planning to do the surgery, but life got in the way. I need surgery on my ankle (two torn ligaments) and the shoulder doc told me to do the ankle surgery first because he did not want me on crutches with a recently repaired shoulder. Then my wife got cancer so I shut off my issues, and now I'm 73 and have learned to live with the shoulder and the ankle issues. Shoulder doc told me the shoulder recovery will be six to eight months, and no guarantee that it will be successful. Won't know until he gets in there. So I weighed all the options and decided that gas guns and good boots with an ankle brace were the best way to go. I have six gas guns and a huge supply of low recoil ammo in 12, 20, 16, and .410, so I'm OK for a few years.
Makes sense... hopefully you can get back to it. Obviously, I'm a big fan of having the surgery. First doctor told me he could give me back the ability to reach for the sugar on the top shelf of the pantry. I said... YOU'RE FIRED!

I found another doctor who specialized in athletic injuries instead of working on retired people that said... If you really want your arm back, I can fix it, but the tendons would be pulled so tight it would be hard to move it. You'd have to really work to stretch it out. I said YOU'RE HIRED!

A week after the surgery, I was unable to feel or move my arm. I took PT seriously, even hung from my kids swing set every day just to stretch out my arm. Three months after the surgery, I was riding my motorcycle again. Zero restrictions.

I hope you get yourself patched up so you don't have to make compromises.

You can do it!
__________________
Maurice


---------------------------------------------

Browning Citori 725 Sporting
Tristar Viper G2 Sporting
Tristar Sporting O/U (aka Turkish Junk)
MEC 9000 to reload

Last edited by md2020; 04-09-2021 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-09-2021, 10:22 AM
hermosabeach's Avatar
hermosabeach hermosabeach is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Bay of Los Angeles
Posts: 15,170
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

My cousin was an avid clays shooter. 3 days a week. After one surgery he switched to 410 and or 28 gauge.
__________________


“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

4 million DROS checks in Dec 2020- time to take new gun owners to the range

— 536:the year a volcano almost ended life on earth—
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s3YTfhJmh1I
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-09-2021, 12:36 PM
CWL's Avatar
CWL CWL is offline
I Pity the Fool!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,365
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Look into adding a mercury recoil suppressor AND a limbsaver pad to reduce felt recoil.
__________________
Vae Victis
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-09-2021, 3:44 PM
Stevehazard Stevehazard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 284
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

I broke my weak side collar bone last August and tried to go out probably the 3rd of Sept for dove. Shot one and said screw that, was not ready at that point. But was able to go out 2 weeks later and was alright shooting then. Everybody is different and you won't know without giving it a little test.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:03 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.