Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2017, 1:22 PM

Default 5150 Restoration of rights.

I have a coworker who was a Marine and I asked him if he shoots or wants to go shooting. He says he didn't. He told me about 3 years ago he went down to the VA because he was feeling depressed over a fellow Marines suicide and wanted to talk to someone about it. Long story short, they thought he was a danger to himself so they placed him on 5150.

I was just curious. If you are placed on 5150, is there anyway to restore your rights? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2017, 1:28 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There are some good articles out there on this topic:

http://www.calgunlawyers.com/youre-n...r-a-5150-hold/

But in the end, he should talk to a lawyer.
Old 09-20-2017, 2:17 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Yes, a have done several of them for clients. However, they are expensive, time consuming and difficult to prevail on.
Old 09-20-2017, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARog View Post
I have a coworker who was a Marine and I asked him if he shoots or wants to go shooting. He says he didn't. He told me about 3 years ago he went down to the VA because he was feeling depressed over a fellow Marines suicide and wanted to talk to someone about it. Long story short, they thought he was a danger to himself so they placed him on 5150.

I was just curious. If you are placed on 5150, is there anyway to restore your rights? Thanks.
It can be done. Please check out WIC section 8103 for the details.

But first make sure that there was a 5150 hold placed.

California law allows peace officers to take persons into custody and deliver them to a designated facility for evaluation and admission. The hold can only be placed by a mental health professional designated by the county. When I was in service there were very few folks holding the necessary designation. I'm not aware of any VA personnel so designated.
Old 09-21-2017, 5:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: South Orange County, where I regularly provide free training in Estate Planning and Concealed Carry

A trust (not just any gun trust) can be specially drafted to hold guns during the five year prohibition period.
Old 09-21-2017, 6:39 AM
Calguns Addict

"he went down to the VA because he was feeling depressed over a fellow Marines suicide and wanted to talk to someone about it. Long story short, they thought he was a danger to himself so they placed him on 5150."

If he was actually 5150'd most likely this is indeed a long story made short. Probably more to it then he told you.

A 5150 is not a door prize they hand out just for showing up and being depressed.

I doubt any of us would tell the full story. That being said he should still appeal if he can.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 09-21-2017, 2:38 PM

And the VA psych unit can be consulted about a 5150 for a veteran already hospitalized for non psych

Quote:
6.Consultation & Liaison Psychiatry: The Consultation and Liaison (C&L) Section provides psychiatric evaluation and treatment services to veterans who are hospitalized in other (non-psychiatric) areas of the Medical Center. Consultative services include assessment of suicidality, assessment of acute mental status changes, management of depression and anxiety, management of psychotic behavior, determination of competency to make medical decisions and consent to medical procedures, and determination of need for involuntary psychiatric holds(5150).
https://www.longbeach.va.gov/LongBea...ntalHealth.asp

But still, like RickD said the vet should first confirm whether or not he was actually on a 5150. They may have admitted him as a voluntary.
Old 10-15-2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
"he went down to the VA because he was feeling depressed over a fellow Marines suicide and wanted to talk to someone about it. Long story short, they thought he was a danger to himself so they placed him on 5150."

If he was actually 5150'd most likely this is indeed a long story made short. Probably more to it then he told you.

A 5150 is not a door prize they hand out just for showing up and being depressed.

I doubt any of us would tell the full story. That being said he should still appeal if he can.
There sure is a lot of FUD on calguns on 5150s. Usually if you confess to a counselor or mental health professional any real suicidal contemplation, they're required to report you. Same if you show up to the ER with panic attacks and severe suicidal ideation.

Most 5150s happen not by police showing up somewhere for someone "flipping out" but bc of suspected suicidal ideation.