Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-15-2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
Is this a Boyds stock? If so what model?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I got it from Stocky's, and it was supposed to be for an ex in the purple/black (which is why the HK semi gloss finish). That color was backordered forever and she didn't want the pink or the electric blue, so we got this. I just had it drop shipped to GunDoc, which is why it was never shortened, since I didn't see it until the gun came back.

Last edited by DrewN; 09-15-2017 at 5:03 PM..
Old 09-15-2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
The Mini is far superior to the AR.
I have to assume you're saying this just to trigger the AR fangirls, which I generally approve of, but come on. You don't need to go all-out like this.

Just admitting you own and overall enjoy having a mini-14 is enough to get a little froth around the lips most times.
Old 09-15-2017, 5:58 PM

Not sure why Mini 14 vs AR 15 is such a big deal. Nobody can ever get a straight answer when they really want to know because everyone takes each platform so personally. I have a short barrel 16.5" mini I haven't shot much. I also have an AR 15 lower I have never built yet.

I really like the mini 14 and want to do a few mods to make mine recoil less and throw the brass closer. It has been great so far for the little I have shot it.

The AR lower might never get built because of how it looks after all the joke restrictions that make it look retarded in California.

It would be nice if people could give useful information for people who like either/both platforms so they can enjoy them instead of arguing and making petty arguments to put the other platform down. Good grief. They are just rifles. Who cares if someone likes something you don't? Providing useful information would help many people. From what I have read, most the information in this thread is useless and a waste of time to read. Seems like it is always like that for these kind of threads.

Maybe some day there will be a useful Mini 14 and useful AR 15 thread.

What if I like the accuracy of a mini how it is and want to have it function reliably but keep the spent brass nearby so I can find it to reload? What if I don't care about the same -1 MOA of an AR? How can I make the mini the best it can be? Who cares if the mini is a little less accurate than the AR? Aren't they still both fun to shoot?

If the AR is good, how can it be made to perform best? Useful questions.

Last edited by jdg30; 09-15-2017 at 6:08 PM..
Old 09-15-2017, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg30 View Post
Not sure why Mini 14 vs AR 15 is such a big deal. Nobody can ever get a straight answer when they really want to know because everyone takes each platform so personally. I have a short barrel 16.5" mini I haven't shot much. I also have an AR 15 lower I have never built yet.

I really like the mini 14 and want to do a few mods to make mine recoil less and throw the brass closer. It has been great so far for the little I have shot it.

The AR lower might never get built because of how it looks after all the joke restrictions that make it look retarded in California.

It would be nice if people could give useful information for people who like either/both platforms so they can enjoy them instead of arguing and making petty arguments to put the other platform down. Good grief. They are just rifles. Who cares if someone likes something you don't? Providing useful information would help many people. From what I have read, most the information in this thread is useless and a waste of time to read. Seems like it is always like that for these kind of threads.

Maybe some day there will be a useful Mini 14 and useful AR 15 thread.

What if I like the accuracy of a mini how it is and want to have it function reliably but keep the spent brass nearby so I can find it to reload? What if I don't care about the same -1 MOA of an AR? How can I make the mini the best it can be? Who cares if the mini is a little less accurate than the AR? Aren't they still both fun to shoot?

If the AR is good, how can it be made to perform best? Useful questions.
Lots of useful AR threads, also lots of useful Mini threads but in all of those you'll have to wade through the AR fans trashing on them. Not hard to figure out how a thread with both mentioned in the title will turn out.
Old 09-15-2017, 7:01 PM

What if I like the accuracy of a mini how it is and want to have it function reliably but keep the spent brass nearby so I can find it to reload?

Bushings in the gas block are what's typically used. The other big Mini mods are barrel struts and stock bedding. The trigger slicks up like a Garand or M1A. Perfect Union used to be the go to blog, but it has been an echo chamber forever so YMMV.
Old 09-15-2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
How about an SKS?

Cheapish ammo, semi automatic, reasonably quick to load with clips, not expensive like a mini-14, CA COMPLIANT as well, and probably the same inability to shoot MOA ... but who cares for what it is?

Also, proven to keep looters away from your store when you're on the roof with one.
This, lol. Plus a bayonet for close encounters. And character! I love mine, it's my fave Comm-bloc to plink with. With the weight, recoil approaches 5.56 kick and it's more accurate than my AKs (not saying much, I know). Very simple teardown, not much to break, cheap to feed, and did I mention the bayonet? I wouldn't let a stash of 5.56 hold you back, it's easily flipped or traded.

I traded my Mini-14 for an entry-level AR and a Glock, and never looked back. Mine never liked anything other than factory magazines, which are spendy, and I never liked the ergos. The M1-style action just seems overkill for the light round. That said, it's not a bad rifle, it just wasn't my cup of tea for the investment. Like I said, I traded mine for an AR but the SKS is still my go-to fun gun.
Old 09-16-2017, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN View Post
What if I like the accuracy of a mini how it is and want to have it function reliably but keep the spent brass nearby so I can find it to reload?

Bushings in the gas block are what's typically used. The other big Mini mods are barrel struts and stock bedding. The trigger slicks up like a Garand or M1A. Perfect Union used to be the go to blog, but it has been an echo chamber forever so YMMV.
I recently added an adjustable gas block to my 583 Mini 14 but I've only had a very brief function check so far.
ASI says to only open it up to 3-1/2 to 4 full turns. I counted for each full turn there are twelve individual click stops so that's a lot of room for custom adjustments!
Fully closed, the rifle will not eject. Fully open, the spent brass goes into orbit. At 1-1/2 turns the spent brass drops neatly into a pile 6' away.
I'll post more about this when I can get some real range time in.