Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 11-06-2018, 3:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
The Hinderers I've seen still aren't bargains by any means but they keep popping up on Blade Forums and I'll probably buy one eventually.
A gen 6 of the WC would be my choice.

I just scored another GEC.
Old 11-06-2018, 3:12 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Nice one. I had a HOGB8 with the BIG DC which is like sand blasted matte. The only INIFI blade I have right now is that FTG COMP.

I hear you. Unwrapping a $600 blade out and beating on it is not for everyone, and certainly not if you already have users the same size. I didn't want to do it especially with dupes, but I also didn't want to stack them in crates like cord wood, hahah. Actually has its appeal, but gets old. Pretty painless to hold these till values shoot up. That's the thing about BUSSE.

If you have a OKC you paid $90 for and add a $60 kydex sheath, you probably have a knife worth $100 in a couple years, haha.
I wanted a HOGB 8, but I was busy and missed the offering.

Well, OKCs are not exactly collector type knives haha, but they are good competent knives. Probably a good value as user knife, kind of like Kabar/Beckers. I have a big Kabar Taiwanese chopper I keep in the trunk of my daughter's car for emergencies. Its is a bad butt knife I just wish it was USA made.

I have most of my knife needs filled so I'm just doing upgrades and exploring value knives now. I've decided to keep the Bunker Buster for now.
Old 11-06-2018, 3:27 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
I believe that you have this interest in common w/Cufflers and others here. I like looking at fixed blades and have a few (only the Gerber Mark I is of any value/interest) but, practically speaking, I have very little use for them and don't have the space to store them.

I am already running out of room to store the folders I've been bunge buting in my gun safe. I have 7 knife cases full of folders and most all of them are full. Just bought 2 more cases for backup. LOL!

The Hinderers I've seen still aren't bargains by any means but they keep popping up on Blade Forums and I'll probably buy one eventually.
I really don't keep any of my knives in the safes because I don't have any safe space left and I'm not worried about theft. We are home almost all the time and have dogs and alarm system.

I like fixed blades, I keep them in vehicles and take them out camping. I also maintain four BOB type kits. My oldest couldn't take hers to college with her (no dorm space), but she'll get it back at some point.

If you go for a Hinderer my suggestion is that you get a Gen 6 because of the new Tri Way Pivot. The ball bearing option transforms the knife from a mediocre flipper action to an excellent action.

So I'm afraid the older Hinderers might loose some value, or it could be an opportunity to pick up a previous Gen at a very good price.
Old 11-06-2018, 3:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Or I have some cheaper choppers that are even better choppers like the Condor Pack Parang that I bought on Amazon for $50. Its not a super high quality blade, but that sucker will out chop some small axes.

I see you stripped your Chop House is that SR101 or INFI?
Yeah I hear that. I have a OKC RTAKII and a Cold Steel Royal Kukri Machete and some other cheap blades like that... real Kukri from Nepal made of a truck leaf spring, etc... Not much resale on a $20 South African CS machete that even comes with a usable sheath. Only thing to do with it is chop stuff.

BB13 BG is pretty purposeful looking but I have not used it... 1111's are really nice. Yeah that Chophouse is SR-101. Since I am low on INFI, I'll be keeping the Team Gemini and might try to find a new TGLB, but overall slowed way down. mostly like the 2ndary market stuff. I have nothing pending from Busse after that Forsaken Gemini. People love that SR-101 though... I have sold a bunch of knives over $300 that were not even INFI. But you know FLEAbay takes a big fee.

Cool hobby. When you regret selling something you can hunt for another - a hobby in itself. I let my Beer Scouts go and just got one I liked better than the two I had for less than I sold them for. Sniping one is more exciting than ordering on CK or TSA when they are well stocked.
Old 11-06-2018, 3:41 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
A gen 6 of the WC would be my choice.

I just scored another GEC.
I would like a Wharncliffe, but only in the fatty blade. The thin tip has always kept me away from that blade design. That, and I like having a curved belly for certain tasks.

It was hard for me to decide between the Spanto and the Skinner. The Spanto is a very strong blade design. Everyone has different preferences.
Old 11-06-2018, 3:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm not enough of a Hinderer connoisseur for the generational differences to matter that much to me. So, I'd be happy to pick up an previous gen version as a discounted price.
Some would say, with a 0560 KVT and the others you have it covered unless you really want one of Rick's.
Old 11-06-2018, 3:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I would like a Wharncliffe, but only in the fatty blade. The thin tip has always kept me away from that blade design. That, and I like having a curved belly for certain tasks.

It was hard for me to decide between the Spanto and the Skinner. The Spanto is a very strong blade design. Everyone has different preferences.
Yeah I'd love the one in the video or the ZT.
Old 11-06-2018, 4:07 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
I'm not enough of a Hinderer connoisseur for the generational differences to matter that much to me. So, I'd be happy to pick up an previous gen version as a discounted price.
Probably one of the good ZT 0562 models is just as good/better than the previous Gen Hinderers IMHO.
Old 11-06-2018, 4:08 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Yeah I'd love the one in the video or the ZT.
Yeah, love the fatty blade.
Old 11-06-2018, 4:19 PM
Progressives Suck!

A couple of others I bought in the last four months.

I bought the ESEE 6 for each of my daughters BOBs. I'm an ESEE fan, daughter got it dirty batoning some small wood for her Bush Box stove.

And this odd, but amazingly nice Cold Steel forged hunting knife. I bought it because it is one piece drop forged 52100 steel. Came with surprisingly decent sheath. If you need a short knife that has good steel and you won't kill yourself if you loose it then this thing is pretty cool.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-06-2018 at 4:42 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 4:33 PM
Progressives Suck!

Last two more recent purchases.

The twin Mountain Mandu 10" in INFI this has a satin finish.

And my first Bark River, the Bravo 1.25 5" blade in CPM 3V. Love this knife, but I just gave this to my wife.

IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0123.jpg

I think I'm all caught up now on newer knives.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-06-2018 at 4:35 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 5:25 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Yeah I hear that. I have a OKC RTAKII and a Cold Steel Royal Kukri Machete and some other cheap blades like that... real Kukri from Nepal made of a truck leaf spring, etc... Not much resale on a $20 South African CS machete that even comes with a usable sheath. Only thing to do with it is chop stuff.

BB13 BG is pretty purposeful looking but I have not used it... 1111's are really nice. Yeah that Chophouse is SR-101. Since I am low on INFI, I'll be keeping the Team Gemini and might try to find a new TGLB, but overall slowed way down. mostly like the 2ndary market stuff. I have nothing pending from Busse after that Forsaken Gemini. People love that SR-101 though... I have sold a bunch of knives over $300 that were not even INFI. But you know FLEAbay takes a big fee.

Cool hobby. When you regret selling something you can hunt for another - a hobby in itself. I let my Beer Scouts go and just got one I liked better than the two I had for less than I sold them for. Sniping one is more exciting than ordering on CK or TSA when they are well stocked.
OK, the Chop House is SR101 nice strip job it looks cool. My SR101 knives have been quite good. Ive done a lot of chopping with my Ratweiler, Trash 2, and some with the Trash 1. I got micro chipping with the Trash 1 and 2 on seasoned blue oak testing on a cross cut (very tough test), but I just ground out the chips and haven't had a problem since. Otherwise, the SR101 holds a hell of an edge. The Ratweiler has been stellar.

The RTAK is a good solid knife, and I've always wanted a good Kukri but I don't know much about the Nepalese Kukris. I tried to look into them and it seems there is one maker that is better than the rest, but I don't care for the traditional raised portion in the handle. I guess I could modify the handle some.

I'm more likely to buy an American designed Kukri, Parang, or Bolo chopper because they often come with a full tang. I guess the people in Nepal have been using their designs for generations and know what they are doing though.

I like messing with inexpensive knives, some of the Joe Flowers designed Condor choppers are very impressive for the money and when you inadvertently hit the ground or chop dirty wood you don't feel so bad grinding the blade chips out. It hurts a lot more when you do that to your 200-$500 chopper.

I even bought a couple sizes of those Old Hickory $11 to $17 dollar knives. I'm going to modify them for fun. I'm going to pop the handles off, make some new scales or reshape them, perhaps reshape and patina the blades.

I'm a little jealous, I've been wanting a Busse TG for a while, but I don't want to spend $1500 on ebay. I think I like the TG a little better than the TGLB because I like the weight, but I haven't done enough research to compare well. You are a lucky man.

I'm not a fan of the Forsaken TG, I like the look, but its not practical for me and all my knives will eventually become users or I will get rid of them. I should have bought a TG a year or two ago, but I wanted satin and thought they were too expensive.
Old 11-06-2018, 6:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
And this odd, but amazingly nice Cold Steel forged hunting knife. I bought it because it is one piece drop forged 52100 steel. Came with surprisingly decent sheath. If you need a short knife that has good steel and you won't kill yourself if you loose it then this thing is pretty cool.
I was all set on the CS Drop Forged Survivalist and just forgot about it. I had even bought the skate tape I was going to put on it already. Still might get it someday or maybe that smaller blade, that looks pretty cool. I still have a Master Tanto in 3V that is a 6" blade. Kind of cool to look at, but not really the style to take camping or even in the backyard. More like for a shelf, which is why I'll sell it. Already sold the 9" version I had - that one was not well balanced. I do have some Hard Edge Knives that are Asian influenced that are more usable IMHO... with kydex sheaths he made and blade shapes are better for me. One is 1095 and the other one is 3V. The handles are wraps, but marine epoxied. I'm sure I posted here but ya never know with the PhotoBucket meltdown. That guy makes some cool stuff meant to use.

Old 11-07-2018, 3:13 PM

Buck 110 Automatic arrived today. Beautiful craftsmanship. Smooth blade activation.
Old 11-07-2018, 5:46 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Perhaps but, silly as it may sound, performance isn't that important to me because none of my ZTs will EVER be carried or used to actually cut anything and the same applies to any XM-18 that I may buy.

They're just something I've decided to collect and will remain safe queens as long as I own them, which will probably be until the day I die because I almost NEVER sell anything that I buy for a collection, unless I am so unhappy w/something in particular that I just HAVE to sell it, but generally anything I buy never leaves my possession.

This includes the over 25 firearms and over 2000 LPs and 1000 CDs all of the vintage high end audio equipment that I also own to play them.

The only knives that I've used and carried are cheaper Kershaws and CRKTs. My favorite EDC for the moment is a CRKT Terrestrial. I also have used/carried an old black Shallot blem and a black Blur blem but have retired them in favor of the Terrestrial. If I think I need to carry a knife for defensive use, I'd probably carry my Kershaw/Emerson CQC-4KXL. I've also got a CRKT Sting to use as a boot/ankle knife and a Ka-Bar Hellfire OWB knife that I can use for backup as well. All of them are relatively cheap and fully functional.
Everyone has their way of enjoying their knives and belongings. I personally decided that it doesn't make sense for me to buy really nice things and not use them. I enjoy using good tools, as I appreciate the fit, finish, precision, materials, reliability, and feel of good tools. It just bugs me to use crappy tools.

Not that I don't have quite a few cheaper tools, but if I'm going to use them a lot I'll upgrade. I usually give away the tools I don't keep, or sell them in a garage sale.

So, I have a different philosophy. I carry my expensive knives and if I have to use one for defense I'll throw it away just like I would a cheap knife. $25 or $425 its still cheaper than lawyer time. The chances of me needing to use a knife for self protection are probably 1 in 100,000 anyway.

I also have trouble getting rid of anything. My wife tells me that I need to sell stuff I don't use. I have 6 motorcycles I don't ride anymore. Over 60 firearms (I need to get rid of at least 10). I did give my Mark Levinson and B&W audiophile stereo stuff to my son about 15 years ago when I got into home theater, but yeah, its hard for me to get rid of stuff. In fact, I still have an old Vidikron tube video projector in my garage that I replaced at least 10 years ago.

The other thing about really good tools is that they wear well. Good tools will still be good or repairable after years of use. Some tools even increase in value with some wear patina.

Good knife companies also have great warranties. Destroy your $600 Busse, Swamp Rat, or SYKCO knive and Busse will repair replace or give you a credit. ESSE has a no questions asked repair or replacement warranty. I believe Benchmade does as well as other quality knife companies.

Anyway, good luck with your collection. Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-07-2018 at 5:55 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 6:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Old 11-07-2018, 6:14 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
I was all set on the CS Drop Forged Survivalist and just forgot about it. I had even bought the skate tape I was going to put on it already. Still might get it someday or maybe that smaller blade, that looks pretty cool. I still have a Master Tanto in 3V that is a 6" blade. Kind of cool to look at, but not really the style to take camping or even in the backyard. More like for a shelf, which is why I'll sell it. Already sold the 9" version I had - that one was not well balanced. I do have some Hard Edge Knives that are Asian influenced that are more usable IMHO... with kydex sheaths he made and blade shapes are better for me. One is 1095 and the other one is 3V. The handles are wraps, but marine epoxied. I'm sure I posted here but ya never know with the PhotoBucket meltdown. That guy makes some cool stuff meant to use.

You know, I almost bought the Survivalist, but I thought I'd get the small one first to try it out before deciding. And I'm still not sure about the bigger knife. You were mentioning skate board tape and that might work, but the problem is, if you think the recessed scale-less design is a problem, That you would need some more thickness.

I though about making some wood or micarta inserts for the handle, but I figured out that it might interfere with the sheath locking in in the front. And if I wrap something around the outside of the handle it will keep the sheath snap from reaching around the handle. So, I haven't decided which way to go. I may just put two or three thin coats of Dip It on part of the handle and call it a day.

That Master Tanto knife looks very cool. Where did you find that? In 3V you could use that as a prybar and then cut bones with it...

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-07-2018 at 6:17 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 6:16 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
Camouflage? That is a beauty. I would carry that any time.
Old 11-07-2018, 6:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

CQC-10K / 6030 - like it a lot already, this one is not going back in the box. Lean and mean - or at least thin. Perfect detent, perfectly smooth, hooks the pocket better than others I've had including the Cold Steels.

Old 11-07-2018, 6:18 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
Buck 110 Automatic arrived today. Beautiful craftsmanship. Smooth blade activation.
Nice, I wish I had one.
Old 11-07-2018, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You know, I almost bought the Survivalist, but I thought I'd get the small one first to try it out before deciding. And I'm still not sure about the bigger knife. You were mentioning skate board tape and that might work, but the problem is, if you think the recessed scale-less design is a problem, That you would need some more thickness.
Yeah I just want to put the tape in the recess and if grip doesn't allow contact, so be it. I ordered the small one you have. I found one in black. I will try it out and probably compare to my Dumpster Mutt. I got rid of a 311 before trying it but that one is pretty neat. A 411 would be sweet.
Old 11-07-2018, 6:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
That’s a sweet blade
Old 11-07-2018, 6:37 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
CQC-10K / 6030 - like it a lot already, this one is not going back in the box. Lean and mean - or at least thin. Perfect detent, perfectly smooth, hooks the pocket better than others I've had including the Cold Steels.
Very beautiful. I've never tried the pocket hook type knives. Emerson is the company that came up wit that design right? In looks good in theory, I guess it works pretty well. Hmmm. Nice stone washed blade. What kind of steel are they using on that? Wicked tip.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-07-2018 at 6:40 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 7:00 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Yeah I just want to put the tape in the recess and if grip doesn't allow contact, so be it. I ordered the small one you have. I found one in black. I will try it out and probably compare to my Dumpster Mutt. I got rid of a 311 before trying it but that one is pretty neat. A 411 would be sweet.
You'll see what I was talking about when you get it. I wish I could just buy some aftermarket scales for it. I'd just drill through and put a couple rivets in.
Old 11-07-2018, 7:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Camouflage? That is a beauty. I would carry that any time.
That's my first ZT, bought it this afternoon and I bought a 0452CF to go with it, Perry's in Concord made me a cash deal I couldn't refuse

The 0452CF is a beast, blade length is 4.10"

Last edited by MeatyMac; 11-08-2018 at 4:25 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 AM

Williams Blades. Made by Winkler.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Very beautiful. I've never tried the pocket hook type knives. Emerson is the company that came up wit that design right? In looks good in theory, I guess it works pretty well. Hmmm. Nice stone washed blade. What kind of steel are they using on that? Wicked tip.
Yeah I prefer flippers, but I might add this one to the rotation because the action is good and the bowie tip is so cool. I am carrying it today with a Maserin Plow. These are inexpensive alphabet steel IIRC. 8Cr14MoV. Probably comparable to AUS8. I was never impressed by something like a Thermite with similar steel but they cut. Just like any $20-$30 Chinese Kershaw that doesn't have KVT's (bearings) or decent sized phos-bronze bushings there is a bit of blade play that will get worse I am sure. That's to be expected. Great $30 Wave knife IMHO.

You might check out a Comp finish Busse up close... kind of like a rough satin finish with enough machine / grind marks that you won't worry about scuffing a perfect polished surface. I wasn't crazy about the bead blast finish either. That satin looks awesome.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just an update on my Chinese Clone adventure:

Surprise, surprise!
Sounds like a SCI-FI themed porno.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

They're FAKES!!!

Old 11-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:

....You might check out a Comp finish Busse up close... kind of like a rough satin finish with enough machine / grind marks that you won't worry about scuffing a perfect polished surface. I wasn't crazy about the bead blast finish either. That satin looks awesome.
I like the old school Busse comp finish with the bubble/dimple finish, but I guess they don't do that anymore. What I got with the Big Satin Finish was a finish with curved deep machine marks. When you run your fingernail across them you get sort of a zip noise. I didn't care for it so I'm sanding that one out. I don't mind getting marks on the satin finish knives, if I use them I expect that.

I have not seen a bead blasted Busse Kin live, but that might be interesting. Wish they did a stone wash.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-08-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, I really like the 0452CF as as well as the 0462BLK "Sprint Run" that I bought too. The specs say that the 0462 blade is only 3.75" but I measure mine at 4.125" Great BIG knives!
I almost bought a 0462BLK yesterday before the guy put a 0452CF in my hand, then the 0450CF went into my hand and I was sold
Old 11-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIELDWORKS360 View Post
Williams Blades. Made by Winkler.
Love the style. Good old Idaho, I'm hoping to move there one day.
Old 11-08-2018, 2:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I have not seen a bead blasted Busse Kin live, but that might be interesting. Wish they did a stone wash.
I think the BIG DC finish is bead blasted. The only one I had like that was the HOGB8.
Old 11-08-2018, 2:24 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Lighten up. There are fakes ALL over the net and they aren't limited to ZT/Kershaws. A lot of them are sold on eBay as "real".

This experience helped me to determine which is which as far as Kershaws (of which I own quite a few) are concerned and 3 out of 45 are suspected "fakes." The tip off is the box. Well worth the effort IMO.

Howeer, the "fakes" I got that pass muster are indistinguishable from the "real" thing which I think has a lot to do w/the fact that they are all made in China in the 1st place. If I sold them w/o the box, no one would even know but, since I never sell anything I buy, it will never be an issue in my lifetime. Only my heirs will have to struggle w/the problem and I will make it plain what that problem is before it becomes their problem, rather than mine.
You're being myopic.

Fakes are a problem for the reasons you state. What you're not admitting to is you may not be contributing directly to the problems they create at this time but you are supporting the market, the counterfeiters etc.

Eventually all fakes will become someones problem at some point, guaranteed.
Old 11-08-2018, 2:32 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Lighten up. There are fakes ALL over the net and they aren't limited to ZT/Kershaws. A lot of them are sold on eBay as "real".

This experience helped me to determine which is which as far as Kershaws (of which I own quite a few) are concerned and 3 out of 45 are suspected "fakes." The tip off is the box. Well worth the effort IMO.

Howeer, the "fakes" I got that pass muster are indistinguishable from the "real" thing which I think has a lot to do w/the fact that they are all made in China in the 1st place. If I sold them w/o the box, no one would even know but, since I never sell anything I buy, it will never be an issue in my lifetime. Only my heirs will have to struggle w/the problem and I will make it plain what that problem is before it becomes their problem, rather than mine.
So youre intentionally buying cheap fakes that will quite possibly be mistaken as real in the future, and youre intentionally buying poorly made reproductions just so you can attempt a refund, even though you could clearly see in the pictures before you recieved the item, that it was poorly copied but mistakenly listed as a clone instead of copy. I assume you keep these knives after getting your money back?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-08-2018, 2:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Wish they did a stone wash.
When I strip them I use a sander on them that gives the same appearance as stone washing if the surface is smooth.

Old 11-08-2018, 2:41 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

edit: I'm an idiot. Apologies. Don't mean to derail this thread I love.

Last edited by readysetgo; 11-09-2018 at 7:06 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 3:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Popcorn, waiting for the knife pics.

Last edited by crufflers; 11-09-2018 at 8:49 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 8:58 PM

Olamic Wayferer 247 coming soon...don’t think the Chinese have knocked these off yet.
Old 11-09-2018, 9:04 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Nonsense.

The few clones that I've knowing bought I did so for a reason. To learn about what they look like and how to distinguish them from others. There are thousands of "fakes" that I bought unknowingly but less informated people. You may have bought some without even knowing so. I already have and that doesn't "support" the fake market. It makes me a "victim" of it.

With the knowledge I have now, I can avoid buying any "fakes" in the future and the more we know about them the less likely they can sell any and the less attractive the market for "fakes" will become. So get off your F*CKING high horse and deal w/the reality of the market as is it. The more you know about it, the better you can protect yourself from it.
You can avoid buying fakes by buying from a reputable dealer or trader.