Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-10-2013, 8:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Naked and Afraid on Discovery Channel

Who has been following this program, looks real compared to the other shows.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 07-10-2013, 8:25 PM

Why can't I see a girls *** crack on survivor without it be censored but i can see some full fat *** on this show, for that, i'm out!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 9:19 PM

Yah, program is kinda odd. Doesn't seems to scripted, but I think they are trying for the shock tactic for ratings. Wonder how many of those chic's will show up pregnant...you know its gotta happen.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

After listening to accounts from Les Stroud, I'm convinced that all of them are scripting. Even Cody Lundin said his show is mostly for entertainment to get more people interested in the outdoors and being prepared and not real survival.
On the other hand... Survivorman, that guy is nuts, I believe he's the only non scripted one of those survival shows out there.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 07-11-2013, 7:02 AM

The episode in the desert showed how quickly a small injury can become your death. The Marine with the 3" torn was down and out and would have died, they did not succeed in hunting any protein for 21 days and if it had gone on longer, they would have died. The ginger male in the island episode turned beet red and had sun stroke, at least the island had flotsam on the beach and materials to make sun shade and shelter.

Even if its scripted, I think it shows that survival is not pretty or romanic, you are very lucky if you make it.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM

I've seen a couple episodes and I have mixed feelings about it. The concept is cool, but the execution is terrible. 21 days compacted into 45 minutes of programming is not enough. I also question how much involvement the camera crew has, they're not supposed to have any but we all know what happened off camera on Man vs Wild. I NEVER look at these shows ad a survival guide, but I do occasionally pick up a new tip or way of doing things here or there. One thing this show has me thinking is what 1 item I would take, I haven't confer up with a solid answer yet but a good knife is up there along with boots after seeing the Africa episode.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb666 View Post
Why can't I see a girls *** crack on survivor without it be censored but i can see some full fat *** on this show, for that, i'm out!!!!!!!!!
Because Survivor is on Network/Free/Public tv.

Cable tv gets away with more because by paying for it you are CHOOSING to see it.
"Combining blanks and cleaning rods in the M16A2 rifle is not an acceptable means of acquiring “meat for the tribe.” It should be noted it’s a b**ch unpinning a squirrel from a tree and you NEVER get your cleaning rod back."
Old 07-11-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
by paying for it you are CHOOSING to see it.
Horse cr*ap!

First - Who's $$$ started PBS? Second - do you need the FCC to tell you which channel you can watch? Change the channel if you don't like what you are watching? Turn the thing off?

People are drugged by the stupidist s*hit today -- and are dumb enough to bit*ch about it!!

Re-elect more convicted politicians while you're at it.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".

Last edited by sdkevin; 07-11-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 3:05 PM

Its an interesting theme for a show..take some westerners and make them live like aborigines. See how long they last.

I have watched a little and it was entertaining..problem is I would rather watch the experts, aborigines, and learn from them.
Old 07-11-2013, 5:24 PM

entertaining show. I will keep watching for fun. this sunday's episode the chick looks hot, so I will TiVo it.
Old 07-11-2013, 5:47 PM

Very interesting... A little strange but fun to follow
Old 07-19-2013, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sanders View Post
That guy says he is a survivalist but then was talking non stop about all the things is he scared to death of like snakes and spiders and blah blah blah.
I laughed when he had chosen to bring goggles as his survival tool. The best part was when he refused to go diving because he was afraid of being shark bait.

Sent from my SPH-L720
Old 07-19-2013, 2:50 PM

They're ALL scripted. If you bought the show & put it on the air/satellite, then you're promoting what it stands for and getting some benefit from that (advertising). If something goes wrong, you get sued. So everybody gets insurance. Insurance companies require guarantees. Guarantees mean nothing's real......

There's nothing real on television. Nothing.

Except Spinal Tap - Rob Reiner didn't have a script for that show.....
Old 07-19-2013, 5:25 PM

The episode in Africa. Girl was from Alaska. They basically hung around the water hole for 2 weeks eating grass n roots before catching fish. Then hiked to the LZ. Pretty boring.
Old 07-19-2013, 5:29 PM

Only seen a couple one was the guy who got fried the first day and the panana one.I got to say the girls outdid the guys easily especially sunburn boy.

Now whens there going to be a hook up?
Old 07-19-2013, 5:33 PM

just another retarded show to numb your mind
Old 07-19-2013, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

It is stupid because one of the first survival moves you make is protection from the elements which would involve some sort of covering up of exposed skin.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjunkie View Post
The episode in Africa. Girl was from Alaska. They basically hung around the water hole for 2 weeks eating grass n roots before catching fish. Then hiked to the LZ. Pretty boring.

i did not see the entire episode, but i was wondering where the lions were. they do tend to prey upon 'food that walks' where the water is.
Old 07-20-2013, 1:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Any show that has a camera crew with the "contestants" is a sham! Entertaining, yes. Sham, absolutely!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
Any show that has a camera crew with the "contestants" is a sham! Entertaining, yes. Sham, absolutely!!!
they're not really "contestants" because there is nothing to win. You just go on the show and try to survive for 21 days. After that you go home with only the experience.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:25 AM

Scripted, but entertaining. I enjoy watching them trifle with everything, much like Tom Hanks in Cast Away. The girl in the Panama is my favorite so far. She would be a good one to get stuck with (easy on the eyes, and a real trooper). The guy they paired her up was a useless panty-waste.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfired View Post
I've seen a couple episodes and I have mixed feelings about it. The concept is cool, but the execution is terrible. 21 days compacted into 45 minutes of programming is not enough. I also question how much involvement the camera crew has, they're not supposed to have any but we all know what happened off camera on Man vs Wild. I NEVER look at these shows ad a survival guide, but I do occasionally pick up a new tip or way of doing things here or there. One thing this show has me thinking is what 1 item I would take, I haven't confer up with a solid answer yet but a good knife is up there along with boots after seeing the Africa episode.
The answer for me is a good fire starter. I really would like to have a knife too. But fire for me is first. Cooking, warmth, light at nite, bug repellant, animal repellant, water purification, and just that general feeling of security a fire gives. My .02.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

That dude that got sunburned wanted to quit the first day. And I agree, the couple of shows that I have seen , the girls far outdid the guys.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
After listening to accounts from Les Stroud, I'm convinced that all of them are scripting. Even Cody Lundin said his show is mostly for entertainment to get more people interested in the outdoors and being prepared and not real survival.
On the other hand... Survivorman, that guy is nuts, I believe he's the only non scripted one of those survival shows out there.
Very little of what is on TV is unscripted, and what little is not is still outlined. The unscripted things that occur on talk shows and interviews can always be edited if necessary except for live feeds.

But if it's a pre-recorded program then you are seeing exactly what the network airing it wants you to see.

And reality shows are the worst, they are always cut and edited AND they have a HUGE SAFETY NET which kind of negates the whole purpose of the reality thing.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

A lot of the guys on the episodes have been pansies! the chick in the panama episode was by far the prettiest of all the women

Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNCaliber View Post
A lot of the guys on the episodes have been pansies! the chick in the panama episode was by far the prettiest of all the women
And that's another thing, all these reality show participants are chosen for the entertainment value they bring to the show.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 07-25-2013, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack956 View Post
The answer for me is a good fire starter. I really would like to have a knife too. But fire for me is first. Cooking, warmth, light at nite, bug repellant, animal repellant, water purification, and just that general feeling of security a fire gives. My .02.
To me, the most obvious combo is that one person should bring a good machete or knife, and the other should bring a fire starter. Of course, since they can't communicate with each other beforehand, could have a scenario where both of them bring a firestarter and then they have no edged item. Or vice versa.
Old 07-25-2013, 4:17 PM

Default Not that kind of POT!!

Watching this show, I noticed that two of the women brought a pot/sauce pan.
Makes sense 'cause other shows of this type depict survivors finding water but having a hard time boiling it.
Going out to my truck to add a pot and canteen to my truck stuff!
BTW: ever notice that in the old Western movies the 'hero' would run out of water and then throw the canteen away? So....... days and miles later he finds a water source! Then what?
Old 07-25-2013, 5:09 PM

I think the real benefit in this show isn't necessarily entertainment. It's that it's got some tidbits of info in it that, while not necessarily the best way of doing business, or even realistic, an average person may find handy or remember when they're in a similar situation. Let's face it, learning tips from Bear Grylls even if scripted is better than no tips at all.
Old 07-25-2013, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB

Old 07-30-2013, 1:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

tried to watch another episode; i''m done.
Old 07-30-2013, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

the season finale was meh.. the uncensored versions show the failed attempts though

Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchik View Post
I think the real benefit in this show isn't necessarily entertainment. It's that it's got some tidbits of info in it that, while not necessarily the best way of doing business, or even realistic, an average person may find handy or remember when they're in a similar situation. Let's face it, learning tips from Bear Grylls even if scripted is better than no tips at all.
+1 for the guy that gets the point.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

I have always heard Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...
Old 07-17-2014, 4:51 PM
Banned
CGN Contributor

Default Naked and Afraid on Discovery Channel

Right now watching an episode in Cambodia. The male is 40 and from Tucson and the female is 25, from Denver and pretty good looking. Both have prior military experience. The chick was in the UCMC for 4 years and the guy has 14 years, unknown branch.

Last edited by surefire232; 07-17-2014 at 4:56 PM..
Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

it got immensely stupid when the one guy pee'd in the water hole.
Old 07-18-2014, 3:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45ACP View Post
BTW: ever notice that in the old Western movies the 'hero' would run out of water and then throw the canteen away? So....... days and miles later he finds a water source! Then what?
Water was cleaner back in the day..........
Old 07-18-2014, 4:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb666 View Post
I think labia-majora shots are the issue. Larger azzes cover it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by surefire232 View Post
Right now watching an episode in Cambodia. The male is 40 and from Tucson and the female is 25, from Denver and pretty good looking. Both have prior military experience. The chick was in the UCMC for 4 years and the guy has 14 years, unknown branch.
The Marine lady (WM) was a complete lazy-bint (kind of hot, but none-the-less whiny), and the former ZERO she was paired up with was about useless too.

I have it set to record, but I watch it so little that I probably missed some episodes due to the DVR recording-over w/the 5-max episodes I have it set to keep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
I AM glad the cry-baby-hippie Cody Lundin is off the Dual-survival show, as crying over wasted water "at home" when he has some in front of him is kind of being a little-beach. He seems like one of the over-emotional anti-gunners, but Joseph Teti saying 7.62x39 is not made for hunting, just for killing people is a pretty "pinko" attitude too. Matt Graham's Surfer-bro-talk, and hippie-dippy attitude with not bring meat to the table because it was beautiful is a bit more than Cody's, but pretty annoying still. The hippies:https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...74283159_o.jpg

Last edited by the86d; 07-18-2014 at 4:47 AM..
Old 07-18-2014, 2:50 PM

Need to come out with and unrated dvd box set, then I will download it.
Old 07-18-2014, 5:02 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I AM glad the cry-baby-hippie Cody Lundin is off the Dual-survival show, as crying over wasted water "at home" when he has some in front of him is kind of being a little-beach. He seems like one of the over-emotional anti-gunners, but Joseph Teti saying 7.62x39 is not made for hunting, just for killing people is a pretty "pinko" attitude too. Matt Graham's Surfer-bro-talk, and hippie-dippy attitude with not bring meat to the table because it was beautiful is a bit more than Cody's, but pretty annoying still. The hippies:https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...74283159_o.jpg
I enjoyed Cody and recognize him for who he is, a no shoes wearing, all animals are friends, tree hugging hippie.

That was the point of "Dual" Survival in that the two characters were polar opposites.
Old 07-21-2014, 8:26 AM

All I can say about the show is there are some great A***s. And I don't mean the guys!!