Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading > Private Reloading Sales
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Private Reloading Sales Private Sale or Trade of reloading supplies and equipment.

Old 10-11-2017, 9:24 PM

Default Billet aluminium Dillon 650 indexer ring

Just testing the waters to see if anyone would be interested in a cnc machined billet aluminum indexer ring for a Dillon 650 it seems like one of the weakest parts on the Dillon 650 everytime I try to process any brass with a primer pocket crimp I always end up breaking atleast one due to a primer not pushing out but opening similar to a tuna can and hanging up on the shell plate carrier causing a bind and breaking the weakest part the PLASTIC ring indexer I have read and asked around and people always say well it's a built in weak point if it doesn't break then what will? To be honest I don't think anything would, I think the press would just bind to a stop then you would check and fix the problem.

I have been in contact with a local cnc machinist and after him looking the part over he says it would take 15+ hours to design it, build the tooling to hold the part, and programming of the machine then about an hour per part making this very expensive for just one part but I figured if enough people were interested it might make it worth it. 20 of them would cost about $110 shipped each the more made the cheaper they will each be. Let me know if you might be interested in one. Thanks
Old 10-11-2017, 9:53 PM

That's interesting proposition. I've only broken one on my 650 over the past three years.

I'm curious which part(s) would be the weakest link then. Indexer spring and indexer, I guess. Don't have it in front of me to confirm.
If you bought a billet indexer with bearing on it then that shores up that piece.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 PM

Id buy one.
Old 10-12-2017, 3:39 AM

For the sake of science I'm in if you do it.
Old 10-12-2017, 6:39 AM

Would this make the indexer block wear faster? Aluminum on plastic? Might have grease it some.

I haven't used my 650 yet to notice but for bottleneck rounds, it may help because there's be less flexing of the plastic piece.
Old 10-12-2017, 8:29 AM

With over 100,000 rounds loaded on a 650 in 20 years I have only broken 1 indexing ring, and when I called them they replaced it for free. If you are breaking them you are forcing things that do not need to be forced.
Old 10-12-2017, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

I support new ideas but since Dillon replaces it for free it may be a hard sell. Dillon just sent me 3. I am having the same problem with 9mm brass right now. But with the part being $13, IIRC, people may not want to upgrade. Especially Calgunners, lol. Maybe ask on BE or ARF.

However commercial producers may think its worth the money if downtime is saved.

Also $100 sounds very cheap for 1 hour of CNC time.
Old 10-12-2017, 8:08 PM

I can make it cheaper than that. Just pm me. I'll be out of town for a few days, but I'll be around on Sunday if you want to talk.

Last edited by cgornet; 10-12-2017 at 8:10 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 8:25 PM

tagged.
Old 10-12-2017, 8:36 PM

I have a 650 ill take the ring out of it and design it in CAD.

Last edited by cgornet; 10-12-2017 at 8:58 PM..
Old 10-14-2017, 8:38 AM

Woah wasn't getting any notifications so didn't think this was going anywhere, if someone can make one cheaper and is up for the challenge I will buy one.

I know Dillon sends the plastic ones out for free on warranty but the last time I called, the Rep said they would only send me 1 even though I have purchased 5 separate ones that have broken over time, he told me if I send the broken ones in for inspection they may replace them, I dunno seems like the last couple of times I have called Dillon for warranty stuff their no BS warranty motto is falling short since Mike Dillon passed.

This indexer ring is the only thing I ever have issues with and even though it's cheap to replace or call Dillon and have them send you one on warranty you still have the down time of taking your press apart to put the new one in (if you have a spare and don't have to wait for the mail). I work long hours and commute 1.5hr one way for work a day, have twin 4 year olds and another one on the way time is very valuable to me.

It always breaks when processing NATO 9mm or NATO 5.56 so it's either metal ring indexer or swear off NATO brass which sucks because NATO brass is always plentiful at my local range.