Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 12:47 PM

Default Proof God Exists (St. Thomas Aquinas)

Saw some discussions on another thread dealing with the existence of God. These five proofs were compiled by St. Thomas Aquinas, a 13th-century Catholic philosopher and theologian.

Argument from motion: Our senses prove that some things are in motion. Things move when potential motion becomes actual motion. Only an actual motion can convert a potential motion into an actual motion. Nothing can be at once in both actuality and potentiality in the same respect (i.e., if both actual and potential, it is actual in one respect and potential in another). Therefore nothing can move itself. Therefore each thing in motion is moved by something else. The sequence of motion cannot extend ad infinitum. Therefore it is necessary to arrive at a first mover, put in motion by no other; and this everyone understands to be God.

The Argument from Efficient Cause: Because nothing can cause itself, everything must have a cause or something that creates an effect on an other thing. Without a first cause, there would be no others. Therefore, the First Cause is God.

The Argument from Necessary Being: Because objects in the world come into existence and pass out of it, it is possible for those objects to exist or not exist at any particular time. However, nothing can come from nothing. This means something must exist at all times. This is God.

The Argument from Gradation of Being: There is a gradation to be found in things: some are better or worse than others. Predications of degree require reference to the “uttermost” case (e.g., a thing is said to be hotter according as it more nearly resembles that which is hottest). The maximum in any genus is the cause of all in that genus. Therefore there must also be something which is to all beings the cause of their being, goodness, and every other perfection; and this we call God.

The Argument from Design: We see that natural bodies work toward some goal, and do not do so by chance. Most natural things lack knowledge. But as an arrow reaches its target because it is directed by an archer, what lacks intelligence achieves goals by being directed by something intelligence. Therefore some intelligent being exists by whom all natural things are directed to their end; and this being we call God.
Old 10-10-2017, 1:06 PM

The God of science is The Big Bang. It explains everything - except The Big Bang!
Old 10-12-2017, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastattack View Post
The God of science is The Big Bang. It explains everything - except The Big Bang!
Ha! Good one!

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

-🏌️🏌️🏌️
Old 10-12-2017, 3:56 PM

The problem with evidentialism is that no one comes to the Father unless the Father draws them (John 6:44). Try presuppositionalism.

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Old 10-12-2017, 9:51 PM

The shortcomings of 13th century knowledge.
Old 10-13-2017, 4:20 PM

I think I will stick with Aquinas on this one. Presuppositionalism relies on the belief in Sola scriptura, which is a false doctrine.

Shortcomings of 13th century knowledge?? What does this mean in the context of the discussion?
Old 10-13-2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTENG View Post
I think I will stick with Aquinas on this one. Presuppositionalism relies on the belief in Sola scriptura, which is a false doctrine.

Shortcomings of 13th century knowledge?? What does this mean in the context of the discussion?
So, what part of John 6:44 do you disagree with?

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Old 10-14-2017, 12:57 AM

No disagreement with 6:44. No disagreement with Aquinas. Much disagreement with Presuppositionalism.
Old 10-14-2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTENG View Post
No disagreement with 6:44. No disagreement with Aquinas. Much disagreement with Presuppositionalism.
Roman Catholic I take it?
Old 10-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Those five proofs are commonly taken out of context and never intended to be proof of God’s existence on their own.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCity67 View Post
Those five proofs are commonly taken out of context and never intended to be proof of God’s existence on their own.
Very true FatCity67. I think it does demonstrate how reason can be used to prove the existence of God, but reason alone is certainly not the full picture.
Old 10-16-2017, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

These statements do not take into account forces like gravity. To believe that all motion is derived from a first movement defies logic and what we know of natural law. I will put my faith in Newton before Aquinas.
Old 10-16-2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Block View Post
These statements do not take into account forces like gravity. To believe that all motion is derived from a first movement defies logic and what we know of natural law. I will put my faith in Newton before Aquinas.
As a fan of Isaac Newton, maybe these direct quotes from his writings will interest you:

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent Being. [...] This Being governs all things, not as the soul of the world, but as Lord over all; and on account of his dominion he is wont to be called "Lord God" παντοκρατωρ [pantokratōr], or "Universal Ruler". [...] The Supreme God is a Being eternal, infinite, [and] absolutely perfect.

Opposition to godliness is atheism in profession and idolatry in practice. Atheism is so senseless and odious to mankind that it never had many professors.

Last edited by Dezrat; 10-16-2017 at 8:24 PM..