Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. You really should just leave it alone. It's a little embarrassing.
Yes I just provided proof of everything you're saying is wrong ahahah ok sir we're done.

Last edited by NatetheGr8; 05-18-2016 at 10:42 AM..
Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. You really should just leave it alone. It's a little embarrassing.
I think he works at a gun store.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Just cut another new foam for my Pelican 1720 with the new Vortex 4-16 x 50mm Viper PST FFP MRAD scope. I also bought this primos group therapy bench anchor adjustable shooting rest from WM for $49. I changed out the adjustment bolts with longer ones and wider rubber feet. I also bought the CTK Precision gun vise attachment and modified it to work with the

Last edited by CAGLS; 05-18-2016 at 11:51 AM..
Old 05-21-2016, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Cagls are you able to get ok field of view with that scope? It looks like it's kinda far forward.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscscjohn View Post
I LOVE mine. It is a "category stopper" in 308 because I just have no interest in any other 308 since buying this one. It is light, comfortable, very low recoil, and accurate. I have not had a single ftf or fte.
Well, I got one. I figure it will be good for the 308 category. Have the M1A scout, yet this one seems interesting. Think I am done spending money for a while.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osis32 View Post
Cagls are you able to get ok field of view with that scope? It looks like it's kinda far forward.
Had to move it forward wearing my Smith Optics prescription shooting glasses but without I'd set it back a notch.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

I really wasn't diggin the oem trigger ....

Much better now !
Old 05-22-2016, 1:39 PM

She did well yesterday.
Untitled by Mario Zumbo, on Flickr
Untitled by Mario Zumbo, on Flickr

Sacramento Black Rifle.
Old 05-22-2016, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbaca View Post
I really wasn't diggin the oem trigger .... Much better now !
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltoMario View Post
She did well yesterday.
Where'd guys go shooting?

Old 05-22-2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
Just cut another new foam for my Pelican 1720 with the new Vortex 4-16 x 50mm Viper PST FFP MRAD scope. I also bought this primos group therapy bench anchor adjustable shooting rest from WM for $49. I changed out the adjustment bolts with longer ones and wider rubber feet. I also bought the CTK Precision gun vise attachment and modified it to work with the

looks awesome man. which light is that?
Old 05-22-2016, 6:01 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
I think he works at a gun store.
Some people are just obtuse. And I think you are on the right track.
Old 05-22-2016, 6:06 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Had to move it forward wearing my Smith Optics prescription shooting glasses but without I'd set it back a notch.
Where'd you get the prescription shooting glasses from. I'm looking to get a new pair. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2016, 6:49 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbaca View Post
I really wasn't diggin the oem trigger ....
Much better now !
Nice, the SuperSCAR is terrific.
Old 05-22-2016, 6:52 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltoMario View Post
She did well yesterday.
Cool pics.
Old 05-22-2016, 7:52 PM

Does anyone have the timney scar 17 trigger. I just purchased one. My 10 days are up on Monday but I wont be able to shoot the riffle until Saturday. I'll be testing it out at Wegc.
Old 05-22-2016, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerHouse View Post
looks awesome man. which light is that?
5.11 Tactical TPT L2 251 Flashlight, Sandstone picked it up on Amazon for $35 but has gone up to $44, black one is $30. It's 251 lumens and very light weight plus it takes two 16340 rechargeable lithium batteries on a GG&G picatinny mount.
Old 05-22-2016, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Where'd you get the prescription shooting glasses from. I'm looking to get a new pair. Thanks.
Got it from Diamond Vision in Pasadena on Fair Oaks. They carry Smith Optics and Oakley shooting glasses you can add prescription insert lenses. Mine are the Aegis Arc multicam frame. Oakley has translucent prescription frame inserts for their shooting glasses also.

Last edited by CAGLS; 05-22-2016 at 10:12 PM..
Old 05-22-2016, 9:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwin84 View Post
Does anyone have the timney scar 17 trigger. I just purchased one. My 10 days are up on Monday but I wont be able to shoot the riffle until Saturday. I'll be testing it out at Wegc.
i had one and sold it. i would just recommend returning it and go get a super scar trigger. it will save you a few bucks after you figure the same thing out haha.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
i had one and sold it. i would just recommend returning it and go get a super scar trigger. it will save you a few bucks after you figure the same thing out haha.
I'm buying it use. I'll see how it feels.
Old 05-23-2016, 9:09 AM

Quote:

I ordered a pair of Wiley X valors and had prescription lens made. Love them. I think I paid just about $100 for the glasses with prescription lens from optics planet

http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32929117

http://activejunky.com/invite/189979

Send me a PM if you want a rundown on how it works
Old 05-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Got it from Diamond Vision in Pasadena on Fair Oaks. They carry Smith Optics and Oakley shooting glasses you can add prescription insert lenses. Mine are the Aegis Arc multicam frame. Oakley has translucent prescription frame inserts for their shooting glasses also.

Thank you. I was kind of looking for something like a regular shooting glass frame with prescription lenses. I live up north so whenever I mention shooting glasses to the shops here they run away like a bunch of pansies.... "Shooting OMG"

Helps though I can follow up based on what you have given me. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Oooops.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalSpork View Post
I ordered a pair of Wiley X valors and had prescription lens made. Love them. I think I paid just about $100 for the glasses with prescription lens from optics planet
That's really more what I'm looking for. I didn't know Optics Planet sells prescription lenses. So did you send the frames to Optics Planet along with your prescription? Or?

I'm really sort of new to glasses. Thanks
Old 05-23-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
That's really more what I'm looking for. I didn't know Optics Planet sells prescription lenses. So did you send the frames to Optics Planet along with your prescription? Or?

I'm really sort of new to glasses. Thanks

I did some research, and wasn't a fan of the insert type glasses. I bought everything from Optics planet. These were very reasonably priced and were hardened so they provide the protection I wanted. I got mine with no tint so I can use them in any light, but you can get them tinted if you want to.

I just chose the frame, and you can specify tint and if you want a prescription added to it

http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32929117

http://activejunky.com/invite/189979

Send me a PM if you want a rundown on how it works
Old 05-23-2016, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Timney is definitely a nice trigger, and if it's the one that was floating around for $200, you got a serious bargain. No reason to spend $150 more for a Geissele.
Old 05-23-2016, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
The Timney is definitely a nice trigger, and if it's the one that was floating around for $200, you got a serious bargain. No reason to spend $150 more for a Geissele.

Yup I had to sell some stuff in the parts bin and the trigger hasn't moved for a while after I got the Geissele in another deal. All for a good cause though, this little guy is going to find its way on my 17 next week :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2016, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

Gotta love the look of hard-use parts.
Old 05-23-2016, 9:53 PM

Yeah it's going to be quite the contrast on my rifle. I traded my gently loved black 17 for an FDE one and the manufacture date on the new one is April 18.

Old 05-24-2016, 9:17 AM

Yep. Got the 200 timney trigger from beastmasteractual. BTW does any own a handl scar 17 lower receiver. I bought a used gen 1 on GunBroker.com (pmag only and does not reciever after market triggers)
Old 05-24-2016, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Yep. Got the 200 timney trigger from beastmasteractual. BTW does any own a handl scar 17 lower receiver. I bought a used gen 1 on GunBroker.com (pmag only and does not reciever after market triggers)

If it doesn't function as advertised let me know. Handl has a couple of guys on the Facebook Scar Owners Group Page and they will get you straightened out no problem.

Old 05-24-2016, 9:28 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have a Handl lower. What was your question about it?

I just got back from a weekend of shooting the SCAR. Went camping and varmint hunting with it. Gun shot great, had a blast shooting it.

Jerry
Old 05-24-2016, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMasterActual View Post
If it doesn't function as advertised let me know. Handl has a couple of guys on the Facebook Scar Owners Group Page and they will get you straightened out no problem.

It was only $130. Ill wait and build it into a spare lower. The lower parts kit are out of stock everywhere , and I just bought 7 scar mags.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:03 AM

Good strand on upgrades. I think I will keep mine stock for a while. I am using an HK MR556 for customized project with trigger, sights etc...I went that direction for a custom AR in 5.56 while going SCAR in 308. German and Belgium. Appears to be great quality from both, yet parts can be ridiculously overpriced. Yet, for more standard options, I also have a basic colt M4 5.56 and Springfield M1a 308. I am looking forward to seeing if the HK and SCAR are worth the money when I take them out the range and compare them to the American counterparts. The HK project won't be finished until next year and the SCAR should be out of jail in a week. I think I can give an honest opinion on value vs cost. I also understand that a SCAR was developed for additional uses than an old M14 which was dated back to the early 60's. For that reason, I am interested in seeing and expecting high quality from FN.

I will say when it comes to auto's, German and or European products can be painful. Once out of warranty, wow, serious costs on maintenance (import parts). Still have a Porsche Cayenne S, but don't drive it much anymore and thinking of selling and probably not buying a new one. Probably will look at Japanese for reliability. (now for a 911, Porsche is awesome - the best track car for the money) It is the price of a SCAR on an average repair job and oil changes are around $200. Japanese cars, no issues (best value). American, well, those are more collectors for the ones I am interested in. So I have mixed feeling with the Europeans on their cars, now time to see if they follow the same fact pattern with their firearms. My expectation, a lot less can go wrong with a gun than a car.

Last edited by Mopar Guy; 05-25-2016 at 12:16 AM..
Old 05-25-2016, 11:02 AM

Old 05-25-2016, 5:18 PM
Veteran Member

Not a bad price ^^^ but my make an offer price with prepersgunshop was cheaper ! 275$
Old 05-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalSpork View Post
I did some research, and wasn't a fan of the insert type glasses. I bought everything from Optics planet. These were very reasonably priced and were hardened so they provide the protection I wanted. I got mine with no tint so I can use them in any light, but you can get them tinted if you want to.

I just chose the frame, and you can specify tint and if you want a prescription added to it
Thank you!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:56 PM

Even better deal
Old 05-26-2016, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone change all the hex and torx screws to titanium for some weight savings? I have thought about changing the rear flip up to a polymer version or removing both altogether. Replacing firing pin with titanium version. Instead of an extended rail I want to replace the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock rails with the PMM Mlok rails. PMM is coming out with a rail extension. Instead of a bipod use shooting sticks. Replace lower with billet or HD magnesium to use lighter poly pmags or is that prerry much a wash? I'd like to see more titanium and carbon fiber. I have to offset the weight with the heavier Vortex 4-16 x 50mm scope I just put on.

Last edited by CAGLS; 05-26-2016 at 5:14 PM..
Old 05-26-2016, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Anyone change all the hex and torx screws to titanium for some weight savings? I have thought about changing the rear flip up to a polymer version or removing both altogether. Replacing firing pin with titanium version. Instead of an extended rail I want to replace the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock rails with the PMM Mlok rails. PMM is coming out with a rail extension. Instead of a bipod use shooting sticks. Replace lower with billet or HD magnesium to use lighter poly pmags or is that prerry much a wash? I'd like to see more titanium and carbon fiber. I have to offset the weight with the heavier Vortex 4-16 x 50mm scope I just put on.
Coincidentally, I am in the process of upgrading all of the receiver hardware to titanium hardware. The hex head screws are no problem, but countersunk, Torx head screws are extremely hard to come by.

I will report back in a few weeks when I get it all sorted out.

I have the PMM Mlok rails, in addition to the PMM vented lower rail, which are nothing short of awesome.

The new PMM rail extension looks interesting, but I will never own one. Not entirely sure how many of us fall into the "mission essential accessories" category, but in my opinion, it's basically unnecessary weight added to a platform that was specifically designed to be lightweight and completely modular.

Instead of a Bipod, I use a bag, or use a GRIP POD (bipod) I have in the backpack, which quickly attaches to the lower rail.

Believe it or not, I actually like the Polymer lower, but I have struggled with getting a Handl Magnesium Module simply because I hate paying $40 for proprietary magazines. Fortunately, the Magnesium Modules have been out of stock for a while, so I haven't been tempted. As for the weight saved, in my opinion, it's a wash.

At the end of the day, you will not be able to offset the weight of 4-16x50 hardware. Offhand, I know something that large weighs in excess of 20+ ounces.

I use a 1moa RM09 on a Trijicon 1/3 mount. Total weight of the optic and mount is 3.5oz.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

I'm thinking of replacing the metal flip ups with these Diamondhead polymer flip up sights in FDE: