Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 02-01-2008, 9:33 PM

Default (REVISED DESIGN) Cyclone/Sycho sand blasting bucket for cheap!!

Wanted to make a cheap sand blast booth or something or buy one.

Problem was that I heard of with Habor Freigt boothes that were on sale is that they leak. Ventation is another big problem - my little work room would quickily turn into a dust chamber. So I thought a bucket with a pipe or vent - ran down to Home Depo and WAY-LA a sander blaster bucket. You spray sand stream into bucket which in theory it would cycle back to the feed tube and the lid would seal better than booth.

Don't buy the buckets at Home Depo for $5 and lid for $2 - they are thin and weak compaired to buckets and lids from donut shops and food service containers. These donut filling and hot chocolate buckets are super TUFF.
Try to go Cambodian or Vietmanmese donut shops - they sell empty buckets with lids $2 to $3 washed. If they offer to wash the bucket - TAKE THEM UP ON IT - hardened apple filling is a @#@$%# to get cleaned out.

I am making a meaner for cheaper donut bucket sand blaster out of a "smaller" white bucket. These are stronger than the light bright hot chocolate buckets and the white lids have a separite rubber gasket. Also Iam going to move the 8" vent hole to the edge and the feed tube hole the opposit side - so the feed tube will be more protected from the sand stream.

This one works dor now.

Bucket $3 (donut shop) with lid - 8" vent colar $5 - Adjustable U 90% 8" vent $15 - 50lb bag of 30grit sand $5

Side view of colar/lid with feed tube though it. I used a shop knife to cut 8"hole in lid and then a 3/4" wood auger for the feed tube.

***WARNING*** Use must use at least grinder goggles - particle mask the $35 - and good thick gloves.

I tryed with face shield only and sand bounced up around resporator into my eyes. The silica particles I was warned can Fup your lungs fast - so I did this outside with asbestos/lead vapor rated mask at Home Depo for $35. I am going to wear for super mask for braising too with face shield. A comfort mask will not cut it. For this I wore Grinder goggles - filter mask - face shield - welder gloves $14. Sand blasters can shoot sand right into your skin.

This is a super tuff white bucket with white lid with white rubber gasket they hold 45lbs of thick heavy donut filling. I am redoing the placement of the vent on the new bucket.

Here are both filling bucket (white/white lid) hot chocolate powder bucket (light brown/ dark brown lid)

Close up of lids the Home Depo lid can't compare to sealing and strength.

I use a wire coat hanger to protect hands (first picture) to hold part inside 8" vent pipe and turn part as needed. I think that only 30lbs of madia is necessary and 30grit sand is dirty - book sand it only good for three blasts - then replace. You can use nozell out side the bucket to blast big parts on a tarp and save sand or into grass. The blaster was on clearance at PEP BOYS - I think for $15.

So far the the bucket works and no leaks sand blasts into bucket with vent bent and straigt up.

It worked great on a rusted hammer and I am going to sand blast a Nodak 3 reciever and the paint just did not stick with sanding alone. I also wanted to silver solder and silver braise and it was suggested that this would help joint adhesion.

I wonder if any one has any tips for sandblasting and what media is best and/or cleanest.

Last edited by Utha Schleigle; 02-04-2008 at 10:42 PM..
Old 02-04-2008, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

nice work. i scored a side load cabinet at the last h/f sidewalk sale for $40. aluminum oxide seems to be the recommended media. i'm set up for glass bead right now(car parts) and may try that on some bent fats for rust bluing.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 PM

Default REVISED DESIGN

Looked at buckets and decided that hot chocolate bucket and matching dark brown lid had the most positive seal. I looked in the SNAP ON catalog and this would be considered a portable outside only blaster. Glass or garnet media was reccomended for a cleaner blast.

Parts used $2 chot chocolate bucket and lid - 8inch collar $7 Home Depo - 8inch round duct adaotor to 6inch high by 14inch wide hole for vent $13

New layout of 8inch collar hole and 3/4 or 5/8 inch feed tube hole.

Holes cut and collar fingers pushed through.

Complete unit with 30lbs of 30grit dusty dirty sand.

Straight down shot this opening is cheaper and easier to blast parts. Hanger is used hang parts down into hole and does a good job. Gloves - super particulate mask - grinder goggles - still must be worn. Safety glasses will not cut it sand and dust fly every where at high speed and bounce up around into eyes. Grinder's Goggles

Last edited by Utha Schleigle; 02-04-2008 at 10:57 PM..
Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

excellent. you could get an old oven rack to put across to set parts on. one thing though, i wouldn't use glass outdoors. al. oxide, sand with proper respirator. airbourne glass particles are NASTY.