Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 01-12-2018, 7:25 PM

Default Remington 700 PCR

Anybody have any opinions on the new Remington 700 PCR? Does it look like it has potential to compete with the Ruger RPR?

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol.../model-700-pcr
Old 01-12-2018, 7:32 PM

Looks like they put a 700 5R in a chassis. I imagine it can shoot, just like everyone's 700's they put in chassis.

Not a bad deal.
Old 01-12-2018, 7:33 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

$1199 MSRP, so probably $900-$1000 street price? Not a bad deal for an out-of-the-box solution on a Remington 700.
Old 01-12-2018, 7:51 PM

I wouldn't grab it with the issues the 700 series has had. That and I feel like you get more out of the box with the RPR. You get a nice muzzle brake. You get two 10 round magazines instead of a single 5 round. You get a nicer stock, IMO. You get M-Lok instead of Keymod (and why does Remington go with a Magpul stock and Keymod handguard). The bolt also looks more convenient on the RPR for a lefty shooter like myself.

You can find the RPR for under $1k pretty routinely. The 700 PCR has a $1.2k MSRP and probably will be hard to find for less than $900. The RPR just seems like the better value to me.
Old 01-12-2018, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbinator View Post
I wouldn't grab it with the issues the 700 series has had.
Oh yeah what issues are those? You have first hand experiences with these issues?

I agree that there have been better values out there than the 700 for last few years. But that has nothing to do with issues the 700 has.
Old 01-12-2018, 8:04 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I wouldn't grab it with the issues the 700 series has had.
Not calling you out, but what kind of issues do you mean? After probably 8 years of AR15 ownership I sprung for an R700 recently, and it's been pretty damn good for a $490 rifle. I've owned it for 3 months and have about 200 rounds downrange with it, no complaints yet.
Old 01-12-2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Not calling you out, but what kind of issues do you mean? After probably 8 years of AR15 ownership I sprung for an R700 recently, and it's been pretty damn good for a $490 rifle. I've owned it for 3 months and have about 200 rounds downrange with it, no complaints yet.
Supposedly they've fixed them, but they had a ton of problems with the X-Mark Pro trigger that resulted in accidental discharges and resulted in a trigger recall. It was linked to potential deaths and injuries. They have their recall site live still.

Example of the trigger issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTIkDQ93Tc">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTIkDQ93Tc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

The new ones should have the issue fixed, but Remington did not inspire confidence in me, especially since lawsuits revealed that they knew about the defect for several years and only took action once it got so big that they had no choice but to do something.
Old 01-12-2018, 8:28 PM
previously bloodhawke83
CGN Contributor

Just need a new trigger and that's it. I'm sold, just need money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Old 01-12-2018, 10:19 PM

Seems like a contender with the others. A little late to the game but they made it. If they come out with a lefty might pick one up. Though to me another selling factor on the Ruger rpr is the barrel nut and being able to change the barrel myself. Didn’t look at the remy but would assume they would by like the 700”s
Old 01-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Calgunner
CGN Contributor

ehh.. haven't shot either RPR or this Remi yet... but base on the look , the RPR looks much better
Old 01-12-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggs75 View Post
Seems like a contender with the others. A little late to the game but they made it. If they come out with a lefty might pick one up. Though to me another selling factor on the Ruger rpr is the barrel nut and being able to change the barrel myself. Didnít look at the remy but would assume they would by like the 700Ēs
I've always wondered, what's the advantage to a left hand rifle? I've always shot left handed with right handed bolt actions. I've never had issues with cheek weld and like being able to maintain my hand on the stock and near the trigger without shifting while shooting off a bench or bag. It looks like the RPR and 700 PCR both have enough distance on the bolt that it won't hit your face on reload.
Old 01-13-2018, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggs75 View Post
Seems like a contender with the others. A little late to the game but they made it. If they come out with a lefty might pick one up. Though to me another selling factor on the Ruger rpr is the barrel nut and being able to change the barrel myself. Didnít look at the remy but would assume they would by like the 700Ēs
The easy barrel changes on the RPR is great for those starting out on .308 and later upgrading to 6.5 CM (keeping the same bolt and mags).

Another advantage of the RPR is the hinged folding stock (attached to a buffer tube that accepts any AR-style stock, including the Magpul PRS) with an in-line recoil path ... makes it easier to transport the RPR to the range.

Ruger really did their homework with the RPR, rather than coming late to the party with another me-too product.

KT
Old 01-13-2018, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Seems like a good deal considering the buttstock is $240. They saved money by making their own chassis instead of buying a name one. They should've done the same with the buttstock, that part shouldn't take rocket science to make. They probably should have used a name chassis and no-name stock instead of the other way round.

It's funny how the ad copy says moa "assurance" and "confirmed", avoiding that "guarantee" word that Weatherby and Tikka uses.
Old 01-13-2018, 3:50 PM

Another goofy modern trendy rifle on the market.
Old 01-14-2018, 7:30 AM
Calguns Addict

It will sell like hot cakes and since it's a 700 platform mods will be easy if you need/want them.
And a 700 barrel is easy to swap out and when going from 308 to 6.5 Creedmoor you always use the same bolt and mags.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 01-14-2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
Another goofy modern trendy rifle on the market.
Ding !!
Old 01-15-2018, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Supposedly they've fixed them, but they had a ton of problems with the X-Mark Pro trigger that resulted in accidental discharges and resulted in a trigger recall. It was linked to potential deaths and injuries. They have their recall site live still.

Example of the trigger issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTIkDQ93Tc

The new ones should have the issue fixed, but Remington did not inspire confidence in me, especially since lawsuits revealed that they knew about the defect for several years and only took action once it got so big that they had no choice but to do something.
Okay you can echo the rest of the internet. Remington had a trigger recall, and a hit piece of a news story by a liberal source made it a huge deal.

Why were there potential death and injuries from being shot? From people being down range of a loaded gun and having others handle said loaded gun. Isn't that two of the major rules of firearm safety? Treat every gun like its loaded and never point it in the direction of something you don't want harmed?

Yeah it was a issue and they had to do a recall. Not the first recall from a gun company, won't be the last.

Now can you point out other issues Remington has? Another one floating around the internet is their quality control. Okay what about it? What quality is missing from a $500 rifle? Are rifles not head spaced correctly? Bolts not fitted? Missing action screws? Bent barrels? Again I hear all this cry about QC and yet no one has ever given me an answer on what their QC issues are. Just run around in the echo chamber screaming like chicken little.

(If you want to talk about QC issues, we can talk about Savage. But thats a topic for another thread)

I'm not here to argue that Remington has done everything right and make the est rifle ever. Because they haven't and don't. But I also think that others shouldn't run around talking about issues they themselves have never seen or dealt with.

Remington has fallen off on the value end of the market. They have missed the boat. Ruger, Howa, Tikka, have all made entry level precision rifles for a few years now. I see a lot more bang for your buck in other factory rifles out there than Remington. Remington is five years late to the party. If they had simply made a SPS Varmint in 6.5CM or even .260 five years ago and put it into a basic chassis or adjustable stock, they would have owned the entry level precision rifle market.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

They're late but I wouldn't say they are "done". The street price should be in the $900 range, which would make it very competitive in the market. There are a couple things they should do. One, is make the chassis longer. You can hang a bipod on the handguard but if your gun has a chassis, that's where you want to hang it. It also needs some mlok points or something like that when they make it longer, for barricade stops, etc. Two, they need to offer it in .223. As an entry level gun, people want to try Tactical class, etc, and would rather go .223 than .308. Both of these changes would be cheap to make.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:34 AM

I'm looking forward to the reviews on this one. The other recent release of the 700 Magpul Hunter edition has gotten good reviews and usually retails for around $900. Hopefully this one will be in the same range. I just wish someone would release a more affordable copy of the M2010 (Army sniper rifle) that Remington Defense sells for like the price of a new Corolla. Remington, start making long action versions of these guns!
Old 01-17-2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
$1199 MSRP, so probably $900-$1000 street price? Not a bad deal for an out-of-the-box solution on a Remington 700.
Agreed.
Remington 5R in a decent stock for about $1k? It will sure sell very well and seems like obvious competition to the Ruger Precision Rifle.

Remington has had its share of quality control issues recently but the feedback on the Ruger Precision Rifle has been about less than average accuracy.

Overall I think itíll be one heck of a deal for $1k but donít expect any serious precision shooters to win any competitions with it in its stock form.