Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered Need a job, need a job filled? Help out a fellow Calgunner!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Default Update: Home AC Died, Need Advice

Looking for advice. Seems my AC compressor died this morning. Can anyone give me any advice.

Will I need to replace the whole unit or can I just replace the pump?

Can I replace the compressor myself? Im fairly handy, but no experience with AC units.

Anyone have a reference for a tech in the Azusa/Glendora/LaVerne area?
Old 09-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Are you sure it is the compressor?? It could be the capacitor?? Is the fan still running when it's calling for cooling???
Old 09-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Again...are you sure it its the compressor? Mine had issues a moth ago and was the cellinoid...another at my apartment building was both the cellinoid and motherboard,,,

PM me and I'll give you my guy's number...He's in Burbank. Might be able to assist you.

INBOUND PM

Last edited by glockman19; 09-22-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Old 09-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Don't rush to replace the compressor until you get a second opinion. Also, the new compressor will have only a year warranty vs. a new unit. But the new unit cost is at least double the compressor cost. My compressor just went during the heat spell and it was tough getting it replaced. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks guys, PM's responded to.

I'm not sure how to isolate the problem. Just going on gut, based on the sound it makes before it blows the fuse. Sounds like an electric motor trying to start then shut off.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheomegaman View Post
Thanks guys, PM's responded to.

I'm not sure how to isolate the problem. Just going on gut, based on the sound it makes before it blows the fuse. Sounds like an electric motor trying to start then shut off.
Sounds like a Celliniod...a $300-$400 repair.
Old 09-29-2012, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman19 View Post
Sounds like a Celliniod...a $300-$400 repair.
What the hell is a cellinoid?????
Old 10-01-2012, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyRob View Post
What the hell is a cellinoid?????
The common misspelling for solenoid?
Old 09-22-2012, 1:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I just call the guy.
Old 09-22-2012, 1:28 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
I just call the guy.
which guy?

him?

Or do you "call a guy," and he delivers concrete galoshes to sleep with the fishes?
Old 09-22-2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
I just call the guy.
lolwut

what is the number of this mysterious "the guy"
Old 09-22-2012, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Don't worry... be happy today is the first day of fall...
""When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed." -- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged", 1957"
Old 09-22-2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb View Post
Don't worry... be happy today is the first day of fall...
and it feels like 1000 degrees up in here
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 PM

Pm postal. Hes a great home ac guy.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCE1ovXHEXA

If you don't have a multimeter, don't have experience with electricity, and/or don't know that a capacitor can zap you unless you discharge it, you would be better off calling "a guy". You don't want to electrocute yourself at any cost.
Old 09-29-2012, 8:55 AM

Ok if your compressor is bad you cant replace it yourself without 1. the compressor which you cant get at home depot or any other place that will sell parts to anyone without a license. you have to be certified to use the freon. 2. can you weld with an acetelyne torch? Do you have a vacuum pump? 3. do you have a gauge setup to make sure you can pull a vacuum? If you have the ability to do these things do you have access to freon and the knowledge on how to properly charge your system and a way to check your super heat and sub cooling to verify you have the charge correct?

I understand that it is expensive to have a repairman do this for you but the average handyman cant do much with an ac system except maybe change the thermostat and the air filter. Possibly the capacitor if it is obviously popped. Even a cap can be iffy if he doesnt get the right size.

Now you said it pops the breaker when it tries to start. That leads me to believe that you have a direct short to ground somewhere in your compressor. If that is the case it will never run again and you will either need to replace it or the entire condensing unit. You can't just buy these parts they are obtained through hvac distributors and they wont sell to an unlicensed individual.

Get several estimates before you have someone do it the price ranges could be significant. If you have the money replace the whole condensing unit as you will get a new warranty with it. how old is the rest of the system? if it is 20 years old i would recommend replacing the entire system if at all possible. if you ust replace the condensing unit and your indoor coil goes bad in say a year that money is wasted considering they dont make r-22 (which i am assuming is the refrigerant you have.) coils any more. so replace the condenser and the coil goes out means replacing the condensing unit again. Double whammy!

There you go advice from someone who works in this business every day. Not some handyman that thinks because they know a capacitor starts stuff in the there they are an ac tech.
Old 10-01-2012, 7:25 PM

CowboyRob:

Not sure, but it seems you took offense to me trying to fix something myself. I'm very aware of my limitations, but on many occasions have been able to fix something, that would have cost a lot of money if I had gone straight to a pro.

Also seems that you are offended at others offering advice. None of that advice was poor, and was asked for by me.

Sorry it ticked you off. I respect hard working pro's.

Ok now that that is out of the way:

Turns out, it was two AA batteries in my thermostat. I would have kept that to myself to hide my shame, but I hope someone is saved the frustration by trying such a simple remedy.

Embarrassed that I suffered for this many days in the heat, glad it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.
Old 10-01-2012, 8:51 PM

Old 11-23-2012, 6:59 PM

Sorry, I don't believe it!

There is no way in hell that dead batteries in the thermostat will cause a 50 amp breaker to trip, no way!

The AA batteries ONLY provide back up to keep memory in the stat! They don't provide energy for anything else, Period!

Last edited by Lumpy8; 11-23-2012 at 7:01 PM..
Old 11-24-2012, 8:44 AM

I call BS as well... IF as previously mentioned that the circuit breaker was tripping. Batteries in the thermostat??? Cmon, first of all the thermostat is part of the low voltage (24volt) circuitry, not the line voltage (240v for condesor or 120v for furnace).

If you cant/didn't figure out the problem on your own, don't be ashamed. We get calls all the time from doctors, lawyers, engineers etc.... They just don't have the tools we do, nor the knowledge or access to parts.

If the circuit breaker is tripping rather quickly, its most likely a short to ground, either from the compressor, the fan motor, or even just in the wiring (in the walls, or the unit). Just call a few local companies and if you have any further questions shoot me a PM.
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308
FN PS90
FN FiveSeveN

For all your heating and cooling needs in So Cal:
www.all-pro-air.com
Old 11-26-2012, 3:59 PM

You guys force me to embarrass myself further.

Why the hell would I make any of this up. I never said 50 amp breaker . I said fuse, big difference.

That being said, the fuse was never bad. Just the fuse operator (Me: dorkious mandous).

It was indeed the stupid batteries in my thermostat that made me BELIEVE I had an AC problem.

Sheesh "I call bs", "I don't believe it": relax guys.