Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 AM

Default anger management and my CCW

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I went through a custody battle recently and am required to complete an anger management course in order to gain visitation. I was curious to find out if the completion of the course would have a negative impact on my current and future CCW permits. Thank you for your help.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Hard to say. Usually completion of such programs shows that you're doing better, but being mandated to do them is where you take the hit on your record. If you explain that it's about a bad divorce and you didn't do anything to warrant such classes, then I think the sheriff will understand... but don't take that as a promise, things can go any direction here.

There is no privilege to keep and bear arms.

Arms are for killing people. All other uses of an arm are illegitimate uses.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefur View Post
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I went through a custody battle recently and am required to complete an anger management course in order to gain visitation. I was curious to find out if the completion of the course would have a negative impact on my current and future CCW permits. Thank you for your help.
I'm assuming anger management classes aren't standard procedure for custody rights and there was something prompting this.
I would think the reasons behind this required course is more important than the course itself.

Not to mention, if you have anger management issues, seriously consider if you feel that you are in a good state mentally to carry at this time. You don't want to lose your kid(s) for good by going to jail for doing something stupid.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM

I'd be willing to bet that a notable amount of police or sheriff's deputies have had to attend either court ordered or agency ordered anger management training...courses....education.....whatever you want to call it
Old 12-07-2012, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
I'm assuming anger management classes aren't standard procedure for custody rights and there was something prompting this.
What prompted this is, most likely, the custody procedure itself. Anger management is the nuclear bomb in custody disputes. Be on the wrong end of it and your custody hopes are instantly ended. That's why mothers so frequently allege anger/violence, it guarantees victory.

What happened in this case I can't say, but abusive allegations of violence are standard procedure in divorce and custody cases, and you can be sure the judge will not require evidence (other than the wife/mother's self-serving claims) before slapping a man with a restraining order and an anger management mandate.
Old 12-07-2012, 4:31 PM

I know in my county if the sheriff's department got wind of the anger management they'd probably attempt to remove your CCW.
Old 12-07-2012, 4:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyatollahGondola View Post
I'd be willing to bet that a notable amount of police or sheriff's deputies have had to attend either court ordered or agency ordered anger management training...courses....education.....whatever you want to call it
What does that speculation have to do with this guy and his example?
Old 12-07-2012, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefur View Post
At the moment, I can't remember if my application asked about anger management. I could see it being a question raised in an interview, but I'm in a county that does not require an interview with the Sheriff. Does your county require an interview, and do you remember being asked anything related to those types of classes?
Old 12-07-2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
What does that speculation have to do with this guy and his example?
I'm finished with this place, but I'll clean up my last loose end here.

I said that because a sheriff might well understand that those courses are not convictions, but rather training and education.....that's what they're marketed as anyway, and law enforcement officers are often shepherded, influenced, coerced or even ordered to take them too. Likewise they often have to take diversity training, and sensitivity training to make sure they don't hurt the feelings of a muslim, a transvestite, an illegal alien undocumented american, and on and on. So my point was that the OP might also expect that a sheriff might consider the source of those anger management course orders