Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-18-2017, 3:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It would seem that the DOJ is allowing interchangable barrels for barrel length and caliber. I updated the application as requested below and will post back if they approve.

Rasyad

"DOJ Response (12/15/2017 12:55 PM): Mr. Chung, please select .308 as your caliber in the drop down option. List any additional calibers that your firearm can use in the comments section of the application. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again. Thank you."
Old 12-18-2017, 4:50 PM

Default All submissions were kicked back as incomplete (again)

This is the second time they were dissatisfied with the pictures. The first time I thought their request was unreasonable but I tried to comply. This time I am convinced they are intentionally making the process as difficult as possible. The 3-4 week review/rejection (for the same or different reason) response time is not helping.

None of my registrations was accepted. This is becoming a part-time job to try to comply with the law.
Old 12-18-2017, 5:19 PM

Angry Optional Extra Images is a Misnomer

I opened an issue on the CFARS site about images really being image -

(Me) said (initial issue report): Hi BOF - For some reason, when submitting the "Optional Extra Images", the form only allows you to submit one photo - the selection "Optional Extra Images" disappears from the drop down list once one photo is uploaded. I think it is not working correctly, because otherwise it would say "Optional Extra Image". Please check on this as it would be helpful to be able to load two photos. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

DOJ Response: Mr. (Me), each specific file type listed on the application only allows you to upload one photo per file type. If there is another photo you need to upload, try uploading it under the "Hunting License" file type and specify in the comments section which photo was uploaded under the "Hunting License" file type. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again. Thank you.

Hunting License??? Hahahaha - lets just beg for some further rejection
Old 12-18-2017, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
A couple of ATF letters on this are here: http://blog.roninsgrips.com/atf-lett...se-ar-pistols/

Thank you for that post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
It’s only an issue if you want to go featureless on a long gun. It’s completely acceptable if you’re going to register. It’s been illegal in a Pistol under fed regs for quite some time. As an alternative consider a strike industries forward hand stop. It should be good on both featureless and registered AR/AR pistols.

They are for featureless rifles. I have no interest in partaking of the s**t show that is registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
A couple of ATF letters on this are here: http://blog.roninsgrips.com/atf-lett...se-ar-pistols/
Printed out a copy of the one page letter. I reckon if there are any issues with LE I can pull it out and hope for the best.

Thanks for posting it!
As for the "don't leave CA you coward" sentiment: I don't fault anyone for feeling that way. I felt that way myself for years. In the end though, CA is a lost cause and the poor people of rural CA will be ruled by the pink-clad fist of San Francisco for the foreseeable future. Living the rest of my life in misery and denying my children freedom won't change that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody;somewhere
I came into this world, kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am prepared to leave the same way.
Old 12-20-2017, 8:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrian View Post
They are for featureless rifles. I have no interest in partaking of the s**t show that is registration.

Printed out a copy of the one page letter. I reckon if there are any issues with LE I can pull it out and hope for the best.

Thanks for posting it!

No worries on missing out on this sh*t show. The Progs have a new one planned every year.

Old 12-20-2017, 5:23 PM

My SCAR 17s registration keeps getting bounced back as incomplete.

Rejection #1

"please submit an additional photo with a measuring tape along the length of the rifle while the stock is folded".

I complied, took the photo and pointed out that the stock does not fold and that it is permanently pinned in place in the additional comments section. I also pointed out that the stock can still telescope.

Rejection #2

"The features checked on the application to not match the features shown in the photos"

...right, so the features check box says folding or telescoping stock.

I've resubmitted again explaining the fact that the stock is telescoping while not being able to fold...hopefully it's clear enough. They probably think I'm trying to sneak in an under 30in configuration. Clearly these people don't understand that modern rifles are modular. I sincerely hope I wont have to buy a stock that does not show a folding hinge just to get the damn rifle registered.

...on another note, I had my AK-47 (FEG AMD 63 variant) registration bounced back with a "we can't clearly see the manufacturers markings and/or serial #". The photos are pretty damn high resolution and I can zoom in on the serial # just fine. Looks like the reviewer wanted to see the manufacturers logo next to the serial #!!!

This whole registration process is a **** show...why do they even have people reviewing these for configuration compliance!? If the rifle is in an illegal configuration (SBR, etc) its in an illegal configuration. A LEO will act on this fact regardless of whether its registered as an "assault weapon". Rejecting registrations is nothing more than using tax money to harass law abiding citizens. There are to many outs for pictures of potentially violating rifles to be explained away, especially if LEO never physically confiscated the rifle rendering these reviews pointless.
Old 12-20-2017, 6:46 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

I've had all of the above and more! 6 times 9 rifles worth of rejects! They say they want pics of left & right receiver and overall but what they really want are perfect pics of SN, maker's, caliber markings etc. no matter where they are on the rifle. A real PITA!
Old 12-20-2017, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbubu View Post

Rejection #1

"please submit an additional photo with a measuring tape along the length of the rifle while the stock is folded".

I complied, took the photo and pointed out that the stock does not fold and that it is permanently pinned in place in the additional comments section. I also pointed out that the stock can still telescope.

Rejection #2

"The features checked on the application to not match the features shown in the photos"

I've resubmitted again explaining the fact that the stock is telescoping while not being able to fold...hopefully it's clear enough. They probably think I'm trying to sneak in an under 30in configuration. Clearly these people don't understand that modern rifles are modular. I sincerely hope I wont have to buy a stock that does not show a folding hinge just to get the damn rifle registered.

...on another note, I had my AK-47 (FEG AMD 63 variant) registration bounced back with a "we can't clearly see the manufacturers markings and/or serial #". The photos are pretty damn high resolution and I can zoom in on the serial # just fine. Looks like the reviewer wanted to see the manufacturers logo next to the serial #!!!

This whole registration process is a **** show...why do they even have people reviewing these for configuration compliance!? If the rifle is in an illegal configuration (SBR, etc) its in an illegal configuration. A LEO will act on this fact regardless of whether its registered as an "assault weapon". Rejecting registrations is nothing more than using tax money to harass law abiding citizens. There are to many outs for pictures of potentially violating rifles to be explained away, especially if LEO never physically confiscated the rifle rendering these reviews pointless.

Wow. I submitted a USC/UMP with an ACR that has a pinned folding stock that also telescopes. It also has a faux suppressor on it. In the comment section I noted the folding stock was internally pinned, the faux suppressor covered a 16” barrel. I took the full length picture on the side without the hinge. I thought for sure this one would get kicked back since it doesn’t look like a H&K USC. This was the only submission that DOJ did not question. Go figure.
Old 12-20-2017, 7:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

its not about compliance here folks its about harrassment.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-23-2017, 6:42 AM

I'm probably about to have all of mine kicked back. I didn't add my joint resident under the comments section. I was mistakenly under the impression that was only for a 3rd resident, since you already listed the first joint resident above.

I also learned on a pistol, your hand guard is a second hand grip and you need proof of residency for yourself if you are going to joint register.

I thought I was pretty well versed in this stuff. I wasn't. I suggest anyone who hasn't registered yet to read the DOJ link below.
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...wr-process.pdf

I've only had two of my many reviewed so far, so I'll have a lot of corrections they'll want over the next few months. For some reason, my bitterness and anger over all this seems to be gone. I still think this is ridiculous government over reach (especially compared to past post card registrations).

The upside to all this is how much the DOJ will go over budget. Hopefully they'll have to explain it to there bosses. Or maybe they want to send a message to the Legislators to stop creating work/cost for them?

They've made it so difficult and scrutinized, they've guaranteed kick backs. This just creates more work & cost. As many hours as I put into registration, someone will also have to put in countless hours at the DOJ reviewing, kicking back, and re-reviewing our submissions. And it also looks like when they find one error, they kick it back for correction, re-review and than kick back for the next error. This is going to cost the State tons of $$. But maybe that's what the DOJ wants?

When are you guys submitting your joint registrants registrations? After your approval letters? Does adding the CRIS registration number auto fill the application, or is it the same process all over again?
Thanks.

Last edited by Dump1567; 12-23-2017 at 6:46 AM..
Old 12-23-2017, 9:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I wonder if any are photoshopping their picture of a tape measure?

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Fun begins!

Here are some of my incompletes:

Quote:
Thank you for submitting your application. Proof of address must be provided for each joint registrant. You have only provided proof of address for the secondary registrant. Please upload additional documentation verifying the primary registrant resides at the same address as the secondary registrant.
So I have to provide proof of address as the primary applicant. Nevermind that information is requested as part of the base registration info.

Quote:
..... Gun Model: CAR-AR Gun Caliber: .223 Remington ....; however, it cannot be processed for the following reason(s):

Thank you for submitting your application. Based on the information provided, the caliber for this firearm is stamped as .223/5.56MM. Please change the caliber listed on your application to ''Firearm with interchangeable barrels,'' which is the option for MULTI caliber firearms on the application.
Ok, I guess .223 and 5.56 are not the same caliber even though they fired from the exactly the same barrel.

Quote:
...Gun Make: ROBINSON ARMAMENT CO Gun Model: XCR-L Gun Caliber: Firearm with interchangable barrels...; however, it cannot be processed for the following reason(s):

Thank you for submitting your application. The caliber stamp is not visible on your firearm. The caliber may be stamped on the barrel of your firearm. Please upload a photo of the barrel stamp using the ''optional extra image'' option. Update your application, if needed, to reflect the correct caliber.
I already stated it is interchangeable barrel, ie muti. But they still want to know what caliber the rifle is, since it is not stamped on the side of the receiver. LOL.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:16 AM

what about if you do not know the date the Rifle was bought?
2. The date the DROS paperwork was submitted, CA sales tax paid for, etc?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves100 View Post
what about if you do not know the date the Rifle was bought?
2. The date the DROS paperwork was submitted, CA sales tax paid for, etc?
Depends, if the rifle is bought between 2014 to 2016, you will need to know the exact date of your DROS submission. If you remember which FFL you got it from, they can check it for you. Or you can always call up DOJ, DROS division and ask politely and they will typically help you out if it is just one or two rifles. If there are a bunch, you will have to submit a request for firearm ownership information. I think the year goes further back for pistols, basically when they started recording DROS info.

If the rifle is bought before 2014, you make up a date (estimated it between 2001 to 2013). That's the recommendation from DOJ.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Thank you for submitting your application. Proof of address must be provided for each joint registrant. You have only provided proof of address for the secondary registrant. Please upload additional documentation verifying the primary registrant resides at the same address as the secondary registrant.
They'll kickback all of them for this. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Rejection #1

Rejection #2

Both of my Scar 17 registrations appeared to have been accepted, one with a question regarding folding stock (being pinned or not). Interestingly enough the DOJ seems to accept larger FFL (Riflegear in this case) builds, but had a question regarding a smaller FFL build that I had converted out of state.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post

I also learned on a pistol, your hand guard is a second hand grip and you need proof of residency for yourself if you are going to joint register.

[/B]
Can you confirm this? I'm getting my pistol kicked back on his issue - except it clearly only has a barrel shroud not a second / forward hand grip. Should i just check second hand grip?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmart_ar15 View Post
Depends, if the rifle is bought between 2014 to 2016, you will need to know the exact date of your DROS submission. If you remember which FFL you got it from, they can check it for you. Or you can always call up DOJ, DROS division and ask politely and they will typically help you out if it is just one or two rifles. If there are a bunch, you will have to submit a request for firearm ownership information. I think the year goes further back for pistols, basically when they started recording DROS info.

If the rifle is bought before 2014, you make up a date (estimated it between 2001 to 2013). That's the recommendation from DOJ.
If purchased 2014-2016 and you can't remember the DROS date, consider checking your financial institution's web site (e.g., credit card company) and search your transaction history for the name of the FFL you transferred it at. The FFL in all likelihood charged you for the purchase or the transfer on the day you went in to start the DROS which is the date they're looking for. This will avoid a kick back/correction/re-submission... but as noted not a big deal if you take your best guess they'll just tell you the correct information and make you change it and re-submit.
Old 01-04-2018, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh429 View Post
Can you confirm this? I'm getting my pistol kicked back on his issue - except it clearly only has a barrel shroud not a second / forward hand grip. Should i just check second hand grip?
I would mark it.

Quote:
(gg) “Second handgrip” means a grip that allows the shooter to grip the pistol with their non trigger hand. The second hand grip often has a grip texture to assist the shooter in weapon control.
As I understand it, the DOJ is considering hand guards and barrel shrouds as "second Handgrips".
Old 01-04-2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
I would mark it.

As I understand it, the DOJ is considering hand guards and barrel shrouds as "second Handgrips".
Their definition is vague and basically covers any place to put your support hand:
Quote:
Second handgrip
” means a grip that allows the shooter to grip the pistol with their non-
trigger hand. The second hand grip often has a grip texture to assist the shooter in weapon
control. "
Of course we all know that adding a forward pistol grip to an AR pistol that is not greater than 26" in overall length makes an AOW requiring NFA registration. Also, shround is a separate characteristic so wouldn't the rail count as the shroud and not the handgrip? It appears in some individuals at DOJ's mind the rail is both a shroud and a handgrip.

My registration was approved without checking "Second Handgrip". I checked shroud, magazine outside grip, and threaded barrel.

The insane are running the asylum. There must be something in the water in the delta.
Old 01-05-2018, 4:49 PM

I got the following via e-mail this afternoon...after multiple bounce backs over various fictional issues with my registration application.

"The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov. For questions regarding your account, please email the Bureau of Firearms at: bofcris@doj.ca.gov"

...applications show as "in progress" on the website. I assume the letter that I'll be receiving is the formal approval?
Old 01-05-2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
I got the following via e-mail this afternoon...after multiple bounce backs over various fictional issues with my registration application.

"The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov. For questions regarding your account, please email the Bureau of Firearms at: bofcris@doj.ca.gov"

...applications show as "in progress" on the website. I assume the letter that I'll be receiving is the formal approval?
That was the last response I got in mid-November. I called today to get a status update and they just asked for my "patience." They were very backed up. They said there was nothing to do on my end but wait after receiving the same email you got. They also told me my application had not yet gone in front of an analyst for approval. I started this process in October.

Last edited by Nvidkiller; 01-05-2018 at 5:08 PM.. Reason: Add info
Old 01-05-2018, 5:06 PM

Has anyones application changed from "in progress" even after they received their letter of approval in the mail?
Old 01-05-2018, 5:13 PM

I believe I read on here that some folks received official approval letters in the mail while their website status still shows "in progress"...I don't wanna dig through the various threads on this very topic, but I'm sure its on calguns somewhere.
Old 01-05-2018, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedediah Munroe View Post
Has anyones application changed from "in progress" even after they received their letter of approval in the mail?
it stays that way forever I think lol.
Old 01-05-2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:

Yes it is, usually takes 10 days or so for the letter to arrive. However, if you have other weapons that you haven't received the "notified of the results via U.S. Mail" yet - they'll probably wait till all are resolved and then send you a letter with all of them listed on it.
Old 01-05-2018, 9:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasyad View Post
It would seem that the DOJ is allowing interchangable barrels for barrel length and caliber. I updated the application as requested below and will post back if they approve.

Rasyad

"DOJ Response (12/15/2017 12:55 PM): Mr. Chung, please select .308 as your caliber in the drop down option. List any additional calibers that your firearm can use in the comments section of the application. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again. Thank you."
Update:
On December 22nd I received the assault weapon registration notification for my LMT 308 MWS. Does this mean that the DOJ accecpts that any registered AW capable of interchangeable barrels are allowed this function for length and caliber?

Rasyad
Old 01-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasyad View Post
Update:

On December 22nd I received the assault weapon registration notification for my LMT 308 MWS. Does this mean that the DOJ accecpts that any registered AW capable of interchangeable barrels are allowed this function for length and caliber?

Rasyad

They will accept “interchangeable barrels” if there is no indication on the receiver that it is a specific caliber. If they see a specific caliber marked on the rifle they will kick it back telling your to resubmit with that caliber specified. How ever this does not preclude you from changing the caliber after you register as long as the barrel is 16”, OAL is 26” and it’s not a 50BMG. CADOJ has a FAQ that addresses this on their website.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidkiller View Post
That was the last response I got in mid-November. I called today to get a status update and they just asked for my "patience." They were very backed up. They said there was nothing to do on my end but wait after receiving the same email you got. They also told me my application had not yet gone in front of an analyst for approval. I started this process in October.

Looks like you got stuck with Mr Magoo reviewing your pictures. Mine was done in 30 days including several resubmissions.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Here are some of my incompletes:

So I have to provide proof of address as the primary applicant. Nevermind that information is requested as part of the base registration info.

Ok, I guess .223 and 5.56 are not the same caliber even though they fired from the exactly the same barrel.

I already stated it is interchangeable barrel, ie muti. But they still want to know what caliber the rifle is, since it is not stamped on the side of the receiver. LOL.

They are completely clueless. I submitted a Travor indicating interchangeable barrels. They kick us back telling me to change it to .223 as marked near the serial number even though the barrel in the picture is marked 5.56.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
They will accept “interchangeable barrels” if there is no indication on the receiver that it is a specific caliber. If they see a specific caliber marked on the rifle they will kick it back telling your to resubmit with that caliber specified. How ever this does not preclude you from changing the caliber after you register as long as the barrel is 16”, OAL is 26” and it’s not a 50BMG. CADOJ has a FAQ that addresses this on their website.

Well, they want a pic of my barrel where the caliber is stamped
Old 01-05-2018, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, they want a pic of my barrel where the caliber is stamped

They are clueless. The gun I expected them to drive me nuts on is a USC with a UMP lower (with full auto markings) an ACR folding Stock internally pinned, and a faux suppressor covering the entire exposed part of the barrel. And a “bullet button” that is just a hole drilled were the mag release tab used to be. They registered without questions. Go figure.

Old 01-06-2018, 8:55 AM

Quote:
They are clueless. The gun I expected them to drive me nuts on is a USC with a UMP lower (with full auto markings) an ACR folding Stock internally pinned, and a faux suppressor covering the entire exposed part of the barrel. And a “bullet button” that is just a hole drilled were the mag release tab used to be. They registered without questions. Go figure.

Yes it looks like more than anything, luck of the draw is the biggest factor as far as how your registration goes.

You could get anyone from a mental midget to possibly competent processing your registration.

From some of the posts here on Calguns,it is apparent that SOME of the DOJ workers may not know much more about a firearm than which end the bullet comes out of.

Old 01-08-2018, 8:19 AM

Quote:
They'll kickback all of them for this. Ask me how I know.
I submitted yesterday afternoon (Sunday), the first kick back just came in for this. I don't remember seeing anywhere where I had to upload anything supporting my residence, only that the co-registrant lives at the same address. I did get a second kick-back on the same gun telling me to use Interchangeable Barrels because it was marked multi cal.

I suspect this will be a slow trickle of rejections.
Old 01-08-2018, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Has anyone had their registration completed yet?
A simple yes or no would be fine.
Old 01-08-2018, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKT View Post
I submitted yesterday afternoon (Sunday), the first kick back just came in for this. I don't remember seeing anywhere where I had to upload anything supporting my residence, only that the co-registrant lives at the same address. I did get a second kick-back on the same gun telling me to use Interchangeable Barrels because it was marked multi cal.

I suspect this will be a slow trickle of rejections.
Here's what I posted a few days ago that covers some of these issues.

Hopefully forum members are reading it before registering or asking questions. It covers a lot of the questions and "incompletes" I've seen posted.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1414621
Old 01-08-2018, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
Has anyone had their registration completed yet?
A simple yes or no would be fine.
Yes.
I haven't, but I've seen copies of completed AW letters posted on this forum.
Old 01-08-2018, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

So they have received, in their hands, what they need for the future? (Paperwork?)
Thanks.
Old 01-08-2018, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
So they have received, in their hands, what they need for the future? (Paperwork?)
Thanks.
Yes.

Letter from the DOJ listing make/model/serial #/caliber as "Registered Assault Weapons".

I'm sure the pic is somewhere in all these treads.