Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 01-11-2013, 3:15 PM

Default FFL holders, are you seeing many DROS delays?

Hello FFL holders,

I am being told that there are *thousands* of DROS delays in the wake of CT shooting, but I am failing to find any evidence of that. No forum posts, nothing.

Many of my friends "panic purchased" lots of firearms in the past few weeks and not a single one was delayed.

I have been on delay since 12/17/12 (even though I already own 5 firearms), provided all requested documents to DOJ on 12/18/12, and since then I have been unable to talk to anyone at DOJ. Called the general info line yesterday and was told to "call back in a couple of weeks". Also, I was told by my LGS that they have spoken to DOJ and were told that delays are "indefinite".

Thank you!
Old 01-11-2013, 5:26 PM

A friend of mine just purchased a glock and picked it up a couple days ago with no delay.
Old 01-11-2013, 7:31 PM

No unusual activity of delays at our place...
209-823-4400

Webstore http://store.elitearmsandsupply.com/
www.facebook.com/elitearmsandsupply

Our new web store is up and running!

Sig Sauer, Glock, Vortex, Kimber, Beretta, Benelli and Wilson Combat Dealers.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 AM

this has gotten completely out of hand. I just called the DOJ info line again and was told that they will not be taking any calls from public until 2/1/2013 and that I have to prepare for the delay to last "an additional 3-4 MONTHS"

this is completely ridiculous. is there anyone I can talk to about this?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=573028

Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post
Thanks, Jim! I have submitted a complaint through CGF site last week and got a canned response, but looks like they more emphasize on "right of self-defense" than sporting purposes.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM

This has gotten completely out of hand....

A little less than 2 weeks ago i was able to get through and talk to the lady who handled my case. First she claimed that they did not get any paperwork from my lawyer. Then after I pressed her to look again, she was able to find it in under 2 seconds: "Oh, yeah, you are right. We got everything we needed a month ago. Let me call you right back".

A week goes by. After all day of calling I get through again.
"Oh, let me see what's going on. Oh... I see now.... Let me call you right back".

3 more days goes by. I call again
"Oh, hm... i did not hear anything back yet. I'll walk upstairs and call you right back"

4 more days (yesterday).
"I am in middle of something. Let me call you back this afternoon"

No call back. Call back this morning
"I'll have my boss call you on Monday. You will have all your answers"

What the hell is that supposed to mean??? All this **** over 2 O/U shotguns and a misdemeanor arrest in 1995. And after they allowed me to buy 2 handguns and 3 shotguns in the last year alone.
Old 02-02-2013, 8:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama3 View Post
This has gotten completely out of hand....

A little less than 2 weeks ago i was able to get through and talk to the lady who handled my case. First she claimed that they did not get any paperwork from my lawyer. Then after I pressed her to look again, she was able to find it in under 2 seconds: "Oh, yeah, you are right. We got everything we needed a month ago. Let me call you right back".

A week goes by. After all day of calling I get through again.
"Oh, let me see what's going on. Oh... I see now.... Let me call you right back".

3 more days goes by. I call again
"Oh, hm... i did not hear anything back yet. I'll walk upstairs and call you right back"

4 more days (yesterday).
"I am in middle of something. Let me call you back this afternoon"

No call back. Call back this morning
"I'll have my boss call you on Monday. You will have all your answers"

What the hell is that supposed to mean??? All this **** over 2 O/U shotguns and a misdemeanor arrest in 1995. And after they allowed me to buy 2 handguns and 3 shotguns in the last year alone.
At least you actually got to talk to someone who could give you some answers. When I've managed to get someone on the phone I get the same "I do not have access to your file, it could take 2 days or a year to get your firearm released" response. From my experience so far I would have to say that DOJ is screwing with us.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 02-03-2013, 7:01 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I just signed out a gun Friday to a guy who was on delay. He said when he called they said that it was because they were so backed up. Nothing else.

Ridiculous.
Old 02-03-2013, 2:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
I just signed out a gun Friday to a guy who was on delay. He said when he called they said that it was because they were so backed up. Nothing else.

Ridiculous.
How long was he delayed?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 02-03-2013, 2:43 PM

F.W.I.W. I am going in Monday to pick up a purchase that was made exactly 10 days ago.
Old 02-03-2013, 4:49 PM

I was delayed for 2 days. When I called, The DOJ called me back that day. I was told that they were swamped. I said that I understand, and thanked them for their time.

You know, I wonder if someone just droped a stack of new forms on top of my form, causing a delay. ALSO, Maybe the delays are based on your location and the amount of requests. I have a common name, and that could also cause a delay as well.
Old 02-03-2013, 8:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy-d View Post
I was delayed for 2 days. When I called, The DOJ called me back that day. I was told that they were swamped. I said that I understand, and thanked them for their time.
When was this? Tomorrow marks a week from when my 10 day wait ended.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Well, I am now officially on my 8th week of delay and the call back with "all the answers" that I was promised to receive on Monday never happened, just like all other callbacks that were promised and never happened.

I don't know if I should continue calling and pressing them? I'm just afraid that they will deny me for annoying them just because they can, and I will lose all kinds of money. I can probably cancel the transaction on my Silver Pigeon and pay 20% restocking fee, which would be around $400, but the SKB that I got as an Xmas gift for my girlfriend was bought from a private seller from New Jersey in the beginning of December for $1200 and I really don't think he will take the gun back 2 months later

I guess i wil wait till next Monday and try calling back again.
Old 02-06-2013, 1:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Delayed 2 months? That is just unacceptable.

Old 02-06-2013, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Delayed 2 months? That is just unacceptable.
Not only that. All documents they wanted from my lawyer were faxed to them the very next day after I was informed about the delay by my FFL!
Old 02-06-2013, 1:38 PM
Banned

Recently DROSD a XD Sub and picked it up without delay
Old 02-06-2013, 5:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Not only that. All documents they wanted from my lawyer were faxed to them the very next day after I was informed about the delay by my FFL!
I can't even get a reason from them. Why did you have to fax documents, was it something from out of state?

Old 02-06-2013, 5:19 PM

Quote:
I can't even get a reason from them. Why did you have to fax documents, was it something from out of state?
I had a misdemeanor arrest back in '95. Nothing serious, the case was dismissed and I paid a $100 fine. They let me buy 5 guns last year alone without any issues, but 2 days after the Sandy Hook I was put on delay.

Something tells me they are stalling on purpose, waiting for some new regulation or some rule that would allow them to deny sales for whatever reason they see fit.
Old 02-06-2013, 6:41 PM

If you are free and clear of all charges file for a petition for relief (assuming that's still the way to do it). It's easy - like 1 page form easy assuming you have all the info handy - and the cost is minimal.
Old 02-06-2013, 7:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LAGuy View Post
If you are free and clear of all charges file for a petition for relief (assuming that's still the way to do it). It's easy - like 1 page form easy assuming you have all the info handy - and the cost is minimal.
I shouldn't have to do anything, in fact the DOJ person I spoke to said that if I have nothing keeping me from owning a firearm that it will clear up once they contact the courts and get the information they need. The problem I have is that they will not tell me why I am delayed, claiming that "I do not have access to the system and all the analysts are busy with the backlog". Seems strange to me that the person answering the number I was given cannot look that information up.

Old 02-06-2013, 7:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I had a misdemeanor arrest back in '95. Nothing serious, the case was dismissed and I paid a $100 fine. They let me buy 5 guns last year alone without any issues, but 2 days after the Sandy Hook I was put on delay.

Something tells me they are stalling on purpose, waiting for some new regulation or some rule that would allow them to deny sales for whatever reason they see fit.
If the case was dismissed, why did you have to pay a $100 fine?
That doesn't make sense and may be part of the problem.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 02-07-2013, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
If the case was dismissed, why did you have to pay a $100 fine?
That doesn't make sense and may be part of the problem.
It was more of an administrative processing fee paid directly to the court, than a fine. The case was really dismissed.

Funny thing is when I go through US Customs in Atlanta or LAX, i get diverted to secondary inspection because there is a "problem with my passport", spend 2 hours there waiting and then get asked about this arrest in '95.
Every single time. And only at these 2 airports. At JFK? Never a problem.

Last edited by kama3; 02-07-2013 at 7:01 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 9:17 AM

Wow... Just called again.

- Hello, Firearms
- Hello, may I speak to <person working on my case>, please?
- I'm sorry, they are not taking any calls.
- Hmm? But I spoke to her last week, and the week before that?
- Sir, it is impossible. They are not taking any calls.

Is this real life??
Old 02-07-2013, 1:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Wow... Just called again.

- Hello, Firearms
- Hello, may I speak to <person working on my case>, please?
- I'm sorry, they are not taking any calls.
- Hmm? But I spoke to her last week, and the week before that?
- Sir, it is impossible. They are not taking any calls.

Is this real life??
Yep. I bet they each do 1 case a day, then sit around and do nothing the rest of their shift.

Old 02-07-2013, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Yep. I bet they each do 1 case a day, then sit around and do nothing the rest of their shift.
I just managed to get through to her and was basically told to stop calling.
"It will be released when it gets released. Phone calls will not change anything."

This is insane. I guess 8 weeks is not enough to look at 2 pieces of paper and make a decision.
Old 02-07-2013, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I just managed to get through to her and was basically told to stop calling.
"It will be released when it gets released. Phone calls will not change anything."

This is insane. I guess 8 weeks is not enough to look at 2 pieces of paper and make a decision.
They're probably stalling for new legislation so they can say "sorry but that firearm is now banned".

Old 02-07-2013, 2:33 PM

Quote:
They're probably stalling for new legislation so they can say "sorry but that firearm is now banned".
I thought about it. But its kind of far fetched. They really don't know what I am buying. All they see is "long gun" purchase. With hand guns registration is required, but long guns are not due to start getting registered until 1/1/2014 (unless some other insane legislation gets passed by our despicable politicians).

I am buying 2 over and under shotguns, but "long gun" can mean anything to them. And unless they interpret "long gun" as "baby-killing-spray-firing-fully-automatic-heat-seeking-hollow-point-clip-shoulder-thingy-that-goes-up", there should be no difference what I am buying.

In other news, California democrats have gone full retard today. They are talking confiscation!

General Intro/Outro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjkLTtJ8qE
Mayor Lee: http://youtu.be/c6PZ-rrkXsI
Police Chief Magnus & Police Chief James: http://youtu.be/P1fhw_OcdPM
Mayor Villaraigosa: http://youtu.be/hPR3604i7bc
Senator Hancock: http://youtu.be/CQSbDGhj2i8

Edit: Make sure to watch Hancock video. She wants to redefine definition of a shotgun, REMOVE GRANDFATHERING and require fixed magazines on ALL GUNS. And of course she wants to do all of that in the name odf children safety. This **** is infuriating.

Last edited by kama3; 02-07-2013 at 3:08 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 7:22 PM

Picked up my PTR today at turners. However, while standing in line the manager called a customer explaining that there is a delay which could range from a day to indefinite. The guy on the other end was trying to ask for a reason, but the manager could not give any.
Go figure!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 6:11 AM

i have been delayed for 33 days now!!!! bought my glock 30 on jan 30th. I was supposed to pick it up the 19th of january. today is the 22nd of february!!!wth? Do I need to move out of the gun hating state to buy a handgun?
Old 02-22-2013, 9:31 AM

Yeah. Going to hit 11 weeks on Monday. Suddenly, moving to TX does not seem like that crazy of an idea....
Old 02-22-2013, 9:59 AM

I am on day 15 of my delay, it sucks waiting with no explanation.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:30 PM

Tomorrow will be day 60 of my delay.
Old 02-25-2013, 2:38 PM

WEEK 11. Called them again. No answering machine anymore. Got transfered to the person who handles my case:

"Whats your drivers license? Whats your phone number? Ill call you back"

I guess I will try again in a week or two....
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Finally.... 12 Weeks into the delay my persistance and constant phone calls to DOJ paid off! I got my guns
Old 03-07-2013, 11:17 PM

congrats man, im on day 31 now
Old 03-08-2013, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohatch View Post
congrats man, im on day 31 now
were you able to talk to anyone or you still don't know why you are delayed?
Old 03-08-2013, 9:20 AM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

OP,

Yes. I see way more delays than in times past. Speaking to the DOJ about it, I was told that they are using the delay to buy more time, in cases where an approval is not clear cut.
Old 03-08-2013, 9:23 AM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I should have added, they also told me that they were totally overwhelmed with all of the DROS that are submitted on a daily basis.

In the 'old days', it seemed like there were 3500-ish DROS submitted daily. Now, it seems like they are seeing two or three times that many DROS in a given day.

The fact that they are overwhelmed and way more Californians are buying guns makes me happy.

MERICA!

:-)