Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-21-2013, 3:14 PM

I received my grips from Ares on 12/12.
First off - this was never going to be a handgun, it was destined for a MechTech carbine build.
The first thing I tried installing was my bullet button mag release that I had prototyped on my RIA GI - didn't fit.
I deburred the inside with an Exacto knife and tried a few other mag releases - none fit.
I removed the mag release from my RIA GI - dropped right in, but I had to extend the grove for the mag catch lock before it would work.
It took a bit of sanding to get the modded mag catch to fit, oddly just the top side.
Next I slid the grip on, only the one hole on the right side grip lined up.
I tried it a few times, always the same result and I was trying to decide where to start filing, but by chance I torqued the grip frame and heard a small snap
I thought I broke it but no - all the holes were lined up well enough to start the screws without any filing or egging of the holes in the grip
I had to torque it 4 or 5 times as I kept taking it apart but now it slides on and the holes line up well enough each time.
I then tried to install a trigger, then another and yet another - no way in hell was one going to fit.
I put the trigger in before attaching the grips and found it was binding pretty much everywhere. I decided it would be easier to customize a trigger than fix the frame.
I had a Swenson trigger I got on sale from Midway, it was junk - so under the file it went (and later the belt sander). I had to change the height, width and even the height of the trigger stirrup.
At this point I decided it was not worth fitting new parts into this thing yet and stripped my RIA GI down so I could start with a known working set of parts.
I also decided I would have to make this a handgun first to thoroughly test it before the one-way conversion to a carbine.
I made a mag block from some oak and a pin from a 9/32" drill bit to hold it in place.
The rest of the parts went in ok, I didn't like how the mainspring housing pin wasn't as wide as the grip so I made one from a #23 drill bit.
I have an old surplus Brazilian slide that is so loose it doesn't need to be fitted to the frame rails, a 7" Roto barrel makes the OAL fit the CA requirements.
Then the slide lock didn't fit, I had to file the notch lower in the frame.
I made a staking tool out of a pair of vise Grips and installed the plunger tube.
The RIA ejector front pin was too long and it fit a little loose - Dremel and Loctite, I figured it would be good enough for testing.
Function/safety check was good until I put the mag block in, then the trigger wouldn't reset, I adjusted the stirrup (twice) and everything checked out OK.
Went to the range this morning to function test. I would load a round in the chamber, slingshot the slide closed, engage the safety, take aim, disengage the safety and fire.
The slide didn't have a rear sight originally and I installed one from the parts bin, it shoots 5" high at 7yds.
No problems until after the 7th shot, the safety wouldn't engage. Made it safe and packed up.
I've taken it apart and nothing looks damaged, I put all the parts back in the RIA and it functions correctly, back in the Rudius and it locked up again.
I took out the grip safety so I could get a good look at it and it functioned correctly.
I put the grip safety back in and now I can't reproduce the problem I hate it when that happens!
Surprisingly I find the grip width feels too thin, I would have thought because it was plastic it would be thicker.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:07 PM

Merry Christmas. Still waiting on my 2 grips.
Old 12-25-2013, 1:27 PM

still waiting on 3 grips
Old 12-26-2013, 3:55 PM

Still waiting on 5 frames and a jig
Old 12-27-2013, 10:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yup, waiting on 2 grips, as well.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 12-28-2013, 6:40 PM

Has anyone gotten ANY grips in this group buy? If so how did you do it?
Old 12-28-2013, 9:50 PM
Love God Love People
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecf View Post
Has anyone gotten ANY grips in this group buy? If so how did you do it?
Contacted Ares directly using their "contact us" thing, received an email with a couple questions, answered the questions (some clarification was needed as I was in both group buys) then I received my grips in the mail.
Old 12-29-2013, 9:28 AM

I contacted ares (a month ago) and got my grips in a week. You need to get a ticket number or whatever they call it.
How do you get frames? I paid for mine in September 2012. I keep sending PM's to the organisers of this GB. They don't respond and ares says they have em. FML!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 PM

Anyone hearing back from the group buy leader?
Old 01-06-2014, 7:33 AM

I PM'd a few times with no reply. I then called ARES, they shipped mine out and I had them in 3 days.
Old 01-06-2014, 7:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogiemonsta View Post
Anyone hearing back from the group buy leader?
The leader for GB#1 is pathetic. He never answer email or PM. 8 negative feedbacks. come on..
Old 01-08-2014, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
The leader for GB#1 is pathetic. He never answer email or PM. 8 negative feedbacks. come on..
Yep. Everyone should check his itrader reviews.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

I ended up contacting ares directly and they shipped out my missing grips the next day. I FINALLY have everything that I paid for two years ago..... Ares will never get another dime of mine and Glibetrotter can lick my balls. Just glad it's all over with..

https://www.instagram.com/billygoatmachine/?hl=en
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 01-16-2014, 2:03 PM

Interesting. I've been popping in here now and then just reading a few posts to see how things seem to be going. Just to get the feel of this whole BYO 1911 thing because it sounds like my kinda project. I'm not inspired to build an AR but 1911's, daddy like!
Haven't checked in in awhile though and it's sounding negative in here. Should I look elsewhere to find a frame and jig? If anyone wouldn't mind sharing some advice, I'm also wondering, are there any legal requirements downd the road or can I just build it and I'm done like with an AR build?
Thanks.
Old 01-16-2014, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
Interesting. I've been popping in here now and then just reading a few posts to see how things seem to be going. Just to get the feel of this whole BYO 1911 thing because it sounds like my kinda project. I'm not inspired to build an AR but 1911's, daddy like!
Haven't checked in in awhile though and it's sounding negative in here. Should I look elsewhere to find a frame and jig? If anyone wouldn't mind sharing some advice, I'm also wondering, are there any legal requirements downd the road or can I just build it and I'm done like with an AR build?
Thanks.
Check out the KTO group buy that Aimsmall put up. It's over, but occasionally there are people who don't want to complete the project anymore and might be willing to let go of their product. Aims is also completing jigs for his group buy at the moment.

https://www.instagram.com/billygoatmachine/?hl=en
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 01-16-2014, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

These threads don't deliver! One in the safe, is worth 15 on the 'net.
Old 01-24-2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeeter View Post
I ended up contacting ares directly and they shipped out my missing grips the next day. I FINALLY have everything that I paid for two years ago..... Ares will never get another dime of mine and Glibetrotter can lick my balls. Just glad it's all over with..
I did the same and had to wait 2 weeks because they were oos. But I finally got em. Never did hear back from Glbtrottr, and the banana responded to my texts one day and ignored me the next time. Glad I'm done with this.
Old 01-25-2014, 3:20 PM

Just curious but does anybody in San Diego have a plunger tube stake I can borrow?
Old 01-26-2014, 9:06 AM

I have one
Old 01-28-2014, 6:07 AM

I emailed ares no response ill try their contact app on their website.
Old 01-28-2014, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogiemonsta View Post
I emailed ares no response ill try their contact app on their website.
I emailed them a week back using their webpage contact us and this is the response that I got:

"We are currently waiting for a shipment on the grips. As soon as we get these in, we'll be sure to ship yours out asap.

Sorry for any inconvenience."

- I believe in Safety ALWAYS. Bad things happen if you only do it first...
Old 02-12-2014, 3:05 PM

Hey guys in gb#1, check out the gb#2 thread. Printed grips are here!

http://ww.calguns.net/calgunforum/sh...629599&page=69
Old 03-13-2014, 1:37 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegeezy View Post
Hey guys in gb#1, check out the gb#2 thread. Printed grips are here!

http://ww.calguns.net/calgunforum/sh...629599&page=69
Very nice... I STILL have no grips. I have great difficulty keeping the mantra of "Ares are great guys" when neither I nor a single person I personally know has received a single grip.

We're closing on the two year mark here, people.

I have been to Ares in person, I have filled out my contact information in pen on paper at Ares' Oceanside location, and there is zero possibility that "The group buy coordinators" are to blame for it at this point.

Last edited by grammaton76; 03-13-2014 at 1:46 PM..
Old 03-13-2014, 5:34 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I got them to ship me my grips the other day, but it didn't come with any screws so I still can't do much with them

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-13-2014, 5:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
I got them to ship me my grips the other day, but it didn't come with any screws so I still can't do much with them
If they take their sweet time sending you the screws, and you want to build soon, let me know. I have the screws off the old grips, and I don't think they've changed.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 03-13-2014, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76 View Post
Very nice... I STILL have no grips. I have great difficulty keeping the mantra of "Ares are great guys" when neither I nor a single person I personally know has received a single grip.

We're closing on the two year mark here, people.

I have been to Ares in person, I have filled out my contact information in pen on paper at Ares' Oceanside location, and there is zero possibility that "The group buy coordinators" are to blame for it at this point.
Try contacting them through their website. That's what I did, and got the grips a week or two later.

Old 03-13-2014, 7:54 PM

Wow I cant believe everyone is still having issues with getting these grips I contacted ares Armor on monday last week they got back to me monday night I replied back to them tuesday with my info and got my replacements in the mail Friday. Seriously just put a ticket in A lady by the name of Shannon will get back to and ask for your info done she even emailed me that night to tell me that she put the package in the mail.
Old 03-13-2014, 8:35 PM

Don't get too excited about the GEN 2 grips though. I received mine yesterday and the fit to the frame is worse than the GEN 1!
The good: magwell is loose.
The bad: grooves for frame are way tighter than gen 1, different material (color and seems softer when filing), top edges flare out 1/16" per side (can tighten with screws, but seems like unnecessary stress), 1 of 4 screw hole lined up (if you open up the holes the screw heads dont fit in the counterbores, fit to front lug is poor, (and that's just the fit to the frame, haven't tried internals yet).
Maybe I was unlucky and received an inferior one.
You're almost better off with the GEN 1, just need to file the magwell (and a bit off the grooves).

-Alex
Old 03-14-2014, 6:33 PM

Old 03-15-2014, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
Grip screws are 6-32 thread. Go to the hardware store and get some.
Old 04-07-2014, 2:31 PM

Hello, does anyone have a jig to sell? I've been watching ares and jigs are alwasy out of stock. Please let me know if anyone has 1 thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 3:01 PM

bump
Old 04-22-2014, 3:08 PM

Check blitzkrieg thats where I got mine when everyone else was out.

http://www.blitzkriegtactical.com/?view=home
Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 AM

Sorry for the bump, Havent been on CG in a long time.

Been reading through this thread trying to see how every1's builds have been working out.

I was told my frame had the new grips back when i bought it. Which was 1 year ago i think and I have this question regarding the grips.

How if possible can you tell the diff between Gen 1 and Gen 2 grips?

Last edited by Safonator; 01-02-2015 at 12:41 PM..