Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-14-2017, 3:51 AM

Default Building AR9 from 80 need advice for a noob

Hello Everyone,

I want to build an AR9 9mm pistol from an 80% but I am not sure which route to take in terms of reliability and CA compliance. I would like the LRBHO side charge option with Glock Mags and about 8" or so barrel.

I can't decide which lowers to choose from, between a dedicated Glock Mag AR9 80% or an AR15 80% fitted with adapters and wedges for accept Glock Mags.
I've read about and seen videos of both but I there doesn't seem to be an option to have the mag fixed for CA compliance is that correct? In that case is a sharkfin type grip be my only option to keep it in compliance?

I have been looking at Wolf Pack Armory's 80% AR9 Glock lower(and their full build kits) which is pretty much the same as NFA and everyone else's AR9 Glock 80%.
https://www.wolfpackarmoryusa.com/pr...lower-receiver
Full build kit:
https://www.wolfpackarmoryusa.com/pr...-80-pistol-kit

And this for the AR15 to AR9 conversion:
https://getstern.com/products/mag-ad...t=442035929102
Old 12-14-2017, 9:09 AM

With an AR15 lower you can easily get a fixed mag. Not sure about the AR9, so....
Old 12-14-2017, 9:59 AM

Just so that I understand, I"ll be fixing a permanent mag lock on the Glock Mag and not the Glock Mag adapter or both?
Old 12-14-2017, 10:42 AM

i think it would need to be both. if you can remove either one, it's no longer a fixed mag. you could theoretically have, say five glock mags "permanently affixed" to five magwell adapters. so unless the adapter is permanently affixed to the lower, you would still be able to do quick mag changes. it isn't a fixed mag since you would be able to drop out the whole adapter and replace with another one.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Can't imagine you could remove the adapter without opening the gun.
Old 12-14-2017, 2:16 PM

Ahh i see where you getting at. Is there a way to permanently affix the glock mag to the magwell adapters without welding them like with some sort of kit? Now I'm assuming with the glock mag permanently affixed to the magwell adapter, I can then use a regular Armaglock or Cross Armory Mag lock and lock them i place, then I should be good to go, CA compliance?

Also I assume I should be able to reload the Glock Mag easily once I open the upper and drop out the magwell/glock mag adapter right? From what I can see in example pictures, the upper part of the Glock Mag is accessible so it should not be a problem to reload that way?

If I were to go the dedicated Glock AR9 80% route, are there any sort of maglocks for them? If not, then will a sharkfin type grip make it CA compliance and I can keep the regular no mod mag release button?
Old 12-14-2017, 5:02 PM
retired Goon

For The Olympic Arms/Lone Wolf Distributors/New Frontier Armory/Palmetto State Arms dedicated Glock magazine AR15 style lower, the BB PMR AR-Glock with a 10 round magazine meets the 2017 "fixed magazine" requirements.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-15-2017, 4:26 AM

I am curious as to how this one works. I was unable to find any examples of it installed on a dedicated Glock Mag lower.
Old 12-15-2017, 6:01 PM

If you are building a pistol, there is no featureless options. The main evil feature is mag outside pistol grip.
Old 12-16-2017, 4:35 AM

wait I'm so confused now.

So does that mean building an ar9 from an 80% glock dedicated lower is not legal to own all because there are no current options(other than permanent weld) for locking in the mag even with a sharkfin type grip?

However if building AR9 from a non glock type dedicated ar15 80% lower and adding a magwell glock adapter is legal because there be options to lock the mag in and you can have a regular pistol grip?

I thought for a regular ar15 80% builds, if you were to have a sharkfin featureless type grip, you are allowed to have a regular mag release button no?

...hope i don't sounds like a broken record regarding this topic. I've been reading/researching forums and videos and it surely is confusing about the Laws in CA, but thanks in advance for the help and info....

Last edited by genner; 12-16-2017 at 4:38 AM..