Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-13-2017, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
I bought a stainless wood stocked Ranch rifle a few years back, and put it in a Hogue stock. I also put a small 1.5-4X scope on it. It shoots Wolf 55 or 62 gr HPs into about an inch at 100. Sometimes a bit smaller, sometimes a bit larger, as long as I clean it after each outing. The small scope doesn't bother me as far as handiness goes and it makes a difference in how well I can shoot it. It flings brass out at high velocity...it cracked the windshield on my truck once when my son shot it off the hood.

And I don't care if someone doubts the accuracy.
Most liars don't care if everyone believes them.
Old 12-13-2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
Most liars don't care if everyone believes them.
Now you are calling people liars because they have a difference experience than yours? Thats so classy.
Old 12-13-2017, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
Now you are calling people liars because they have a difference experience than yours? Thats so classy.
I'm calling him a liar because I've never once seen anyone shoot 1 MOA groups out of a Mini 14, ever. It's a ridiculous claim, it's like joining a powerlifting forum and claiming world record lifts.
Old 12-13-2017, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Here's why I come down hard on liars like him...

These forums show up in Google searches. Somewhere out there in the world could be a guy thinking about buying a Mini 14. He could be a night shift employee at a retail store, a college student, you name it someone with limited means that may want a decent, but relatively affordable rifle. This person may come across threads like these and believe this baloney about a 1 MOA Mini 14 and actually spend his hard earned/saved money expecting similar performance when in reality it us nowhere close.

It may not mean much to us guys with closets full of guns. I still get to plink with my old Mini 14 and yeah it's pretty fun to shoot soda cans at 25 yards. It looks cool and the manual of arms has a lot of charm. But exaggeration of objective accuracy claims is not something I'll let slide. Nobody on a car forum would be ok with people claiming ridiculous gas mileage or quarter mile times, so why is it OK on a firearm forum?
Old 12-13-2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I'm calling him a liar because I've never once seen anyone shoot 1 MOA groups out of a Mini 14, ever. It's a ridiculous claim, it's like joining a powerlifting forum and claiming world record lifts.
Gosh... I shot 1.5" at 100 yards with a 582 series Mini-14 with IMI MK262 MOD1 77 OTM with iron sights on a Ransom Rest. Because you didn't witness it, are you saying I am a liar?????
Old 12-13-2017, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Gosh... I shot 1.5" at 100 yards with a 582 series Mini-14 with IMI MK262 MOD1 77 OTM with iron sights on a Ransom Rest. Because you didn't witness it, are you saying I am a liar?????
Yes, I don't believe you. If you can prove that claim I will give you $100.
Old 12-13-2017, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Why are all the mini 14 threads basically threads to defend the persons purchase of buying one? If you're worried about what some overweight weirdo behind a computer screen that you've never met says about your purchase then you have bigger issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepDog78 View Post
I set up a GoFundMe page to try to raise some money to help purchase a handgun for home defense.

Last edited by xxINKxx; 12-13-2017 at 5:31 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, I don't believe you. If you can prove that claim I will give you $100.
You can go play with yourself, for all I care. Chuck, I really don't care what you believe. In the great cosmic scope of things, your opinion is so insignificant, it doesn't even register in my world. In my opinion, you are right up there with the other keyboard malcontent, know it all, trolls.

As Val Kilmer said in Tombstone.."Well, Bye!"
Old 12-13-2017, 5:36 PM

both of mine are not "inaccurate". they aren't tack drivers either.
the 581 mini 30, and the 185 GB both shoot right about "minute of golf ball" off a rest if i do my part and shun coffee the morning before a shoot. and minute of softball off hand @ 100.
if I'm having an "off day" I've never shot anything worse than a 6" group with either rifle at 100 yards.

accuracy is good enough for its intended purpose... which is shooting medium sized game at 150 yards or less with the 30, or humans that would seek to do me or mine harm at any reasonable defensive range for the mini 14 GB.

both have had professional trigger jobs, barrel struts, and have had the gas blocks retorqued.
the GB is in a troy chassis, and the 30 is in the OEM tupperware stock.
Old 12-13-2017, 5:46 PM
Veteran Member

Red face

Quote:
You can go play with yourself, for all I care. Chuck, I really don't care what you believe. In the great cosmic scope of things, your opinion is so insignificant, it doesn't even register in my world. In my opinion, you are right up there with the other keyboard malcontent, know it all, trolls.

So you don't want to drive down to Manteca and take my $100? I'd love to see it in person.
Old 12-13-2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
both of mine are not "inaccurate". they aren't tack drivers either.
the 581 mini 30, and the 185 GB both shoot right about "minute of golf ball" off a rest if i do my part and shun coffee the morning before a shoot. and minute of softball off hand @ 100.
if I'm having an "off day" I've never shot anything worse than a 6" group with either rifle at 100 yards.

accuracy is good enough for its intended purpose... which is shooting medium sized game at 150 yards or less with the 30, or humans that would seek to do me or mine harm at any reasonable defensive range for the mini 14 GB.

both have had professional trigger jobs, barrel struts, and have had the gas blocks retorqued.
the GB is in a troy chassis, and the 30 is in the OEM tupperware stock.
Well put, sir. I have three ARs, all three are slightly more accurate than my 582 Mini-14 was.

My Mid-length 16" does .75 MOA with the 2x7 Tactical scope. The 16" M4gery does about 1 MOA with iron and 1.5 with Bushnell TRS-32 Red Dot. Those are with IMI Razor 77 grain SMK OTMs. My retro actually does a nice 1 MOA with M193 Lake City.

My M1 Carbine, a 6 digit Inland 1950s "white bag" rebuild, with a new Underwood year only dated replacement barrel does an easy 2 - 2.5 MOA. That does not make it a bad weapon. M1 carbines have killed many hundreds of thousands of enemy combatants in three wars.

To me, I am content with a 1.5 to 2 MOA Mini, despite what Chucky sayz...
Old 12-13-2017, 5:48 PM

Quote:
So you don't want to drive down to Manteca and take my $100? I'd love to see it in person.
I wouldn't waste my time or my gas for something so unimportant. Final response, to you, by the way.
Old 12-13-2017, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wouldn't waste my time or my gas for something so unimportant. Final response, to you, by the way.
Lol yeah it's weird how nobody ever proves these sub 2 MOA accuracy claims despite me offering to pay them to do it.
Old 12-13-2017, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Val Kilmer never said that in Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
You're weird. But that's ok because you're far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
Hispanic my left asscheek, that boy is cracked out on jihad
Old 12-13-2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Rock View Post
Val Kilmer never said that in Tombstone
Right, Johnny Ringo maybe. LOL
Old 12-13-2017, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Lol yeah it's weird how nobody ever proves these sub 2 MOA accuracy claims despite me offering to pay them to do it.
Offer me 100 bucks and I'll get my mini out of the safe. Is a 5 shot group good enough?
Old 12-13-2017, 6:51 PM

Default Taking the Mini14 plunge...again

Quote:

Val Kilmer didn’t say that in tombstone...

https://youtu.be/i0BTdo6qGwo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-13-2017, 7:03 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Here's why I come down hard on liars like him...
Because you're a jerk and I'm done with seeing you being rude, insulting and snide to people because they disagree with you.

You've posted for the last time in this sub-forum.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.
Old 12-13-2017, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
Offer me 100 bucks and I'll get my mini out of the safe. Is a 5 shot group good enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
...You've posted for the last time in this sub-forum.
Darn it. A hundred bucks down the drain. On second thought you probably saved me some money, I'd have to buy a scope base and mount a scope. When I sighted in my new Mini 6.8 SPC I couldn't see the front post, it totally disappeared! I thought it had fallen off...getin' old sucks.
Old 12-14-2017, 7:49 AM

The best thing about the Mini 14 is the camaraderie the owners build with their brother shooters.

Mine will put 10 through one hole about 8 inches down the barrel.

Sheeze!
Old 12-14-2017, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
The best thing about the Mini 14 is the camaraderie the owners build with their brother shooters.:

Mine will put 10 through one hole about 8 inches down the barrel.

Sheeze!
LOL!
Old 12-14-2017, 9:27 AM

Every time you post this stuff I cringe.

In the '80's I had Mini-14 Ranch rifle. Scoped it with a 3-9x40 scope. Off sandbags, it easily shot 1-1.5 MOA with whatever cheap ball ammo I could find on sale.

When I started handloading, I was able to to 0.8moa with 52gr Hornady JHP's.

Then I moved on to a Rem700V 308 that shoots 0.5-0.75MOA all day long.

Wish I had the Mini-14. Although I like my AR, I find the Mini-14 more comfortable, and the wood stock versions are a nicer looking rifle than the AR(IMHO...)

Quote:
Old 12-14-2017, 10:06 AM

Okay, seriously... Mine will print about 3-3.5" at 100. Sandbag and stock aperture sight. That's with GI ammo.

Up at Camp Far West, it will smack the oil drum (if it's still there) repeatedly from what they TELL ME is 400 yards.

And THAT is all I wanted a Mini for.

If I have to shoot really close, I use my Savage cheapie with the 4.5-14 Nikon and it prints about an inch or so.

I...had... a Savage heavy barrel ...what? ...M12? I forget.
But it was so damn heavy that I sold it and got the "package" one at about $400 or so and sold (cheap) the scope it came from.

The DIFFERENCE between the heavy and light Savage is only about 1/8-1/4" and a helluva difference in lugging around.

I feel adequately equipped for .223
Old 12-14-2017, 3:40 PM

I'm a mini14 owner...i have had a few....I work with a lot of mil and LEOs and they never say anything bad about the mini14. In fact, I work with a retired deputy out of San Bernardino and he did rock a mini14 when he worked at the dept. He has nothing but good things to say about the mini14. Both my buddies one. Army Ranger and a Marine Recon own mini14s....they rock ar15s of course but still have mini14s
Old 12-14-2017, 4:20 PM

Some people seem to have trouble realizing that a Mini14 is a tool, and AR15 is a tool, and the AK is a tool. Using a Mini-14 to fight a war (unless it was all you had) is like using a station wagon to haul loads of river rock, instead of using a pick-up. It will do it, but there are other better options. A mini is light, handy, simple to operate/teach to operate, and accurate and powerful enough for self defense.

The Mini-14 was deigned to be as handy as aa M1 carbine, but using a BETTER CARTRIDGE. Ruger intended it a s a ranch and home weapon. Personally, I think it does that job as well as an AR15, or maybe in my case even better. 55 years of shooting M1 Carbines and Mini-14s, I snap shoot them better than the AR15 /M16s I have been shooting for 40+ years.

Attached is Jeff Cooper's 1973 evaluation of the "New" Mini-14. Interesting reading (if you can get past Cooper's dislike of the AR15 platform - born from being an old school military rifleman used to wood and steel. Cooper truly understands what the purpose of Ruger's Mini-14 is.

Old 12-14-2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Don't feed the trolls.
Old 12-14-2017, 6:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Some people seem to have trouble realizing that a Mini14 is a tool, and AR15 is a tool, and the AK is a tool. Using a Mini-14 to fight a war (unless it was all you had) is like using a station wagon to haul loads of river rock, instead of using a pick-up. It will do it, but there are other better options. A mini is light, handy, simple to operate/teach to operate, and accurate and powerful enough for self defense.

The Mini-14 was deigned to be as handy as aa M1 carbine, but using a BETTER CARTRIDGE. Ruger intended it a s a ranch and home weapon. Personally, I think it does that job as well as an AR15, or maybe in my case even better. 55 years of shooting M1 Carbines and Mini-14s, I snap shoot them better than the AR15 /M16s I have been shooting for 40+ years.

Attached is Jeff Cooper's 1973 evaluation of the "New" Mini-14. Interesting reading (if you can get past Cooper's dislike of the AR15 platform - born from being an old school military rifleman used to wood and steel. Cooper truly understands what the purpose of Ruger's Mini-14 is.

Wait, you don't use a station wagon to haul rock?? Used my our 74 Wagoneer to haul oak firewood from Woodland to Tahoe, several times. That ended when I was backing into the Tahoe driveway and came face to face with a lizard sitting on my shoulder! Arrgh! He almost had to park it himself!
Yeah and we did buy another pickup after that!
Old 12-14-2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdance View Post
Don't feed the trolls.
Don't matter, he can't post in this sub-forum anymore anyway. And I added 'that guy' to my ignore list. He probably lives in his moms basement.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-14-2017, 8:29 PM

Was it something I said that set him off? He really poured it on at the end.
Old 12-14-2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdance View Post
Was it something I said that set him off? He really poured it on at the end.
No, don't take it personally. Pretty much every Mini 14 thread is filled with rude and negative comments by that guy...it has been going on for quite awhile.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-14-2017, 10:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

My first Mini was a series 180 from about 1975 or so. I traded a Colt .38 pocket auto pistol for it. All of the 20 rd straight sided magazines were packaged as 'law enforcement only' if I recall correctly but my gunshop sold them to me anyway. I enjoyed the heck out of the rifle but traded it off for something else that I don't remember now. I used to do that a lot back then.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper