Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-03-2013, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs down Grand Slam anyone?

Are you a cop? Do you carry a gun? Don't go to the Denny's in Belleville, Ill.

You are not allowed, the police chief says. Not after what happened Tuesday.

The flapjacks -- sorry, the flap -- began when several on-duty detectives with the Belleville Police Department dropped in to Denny's for some on-duty noshing, according to local media.

They had their badges and their guns, but as detectives, not their uniforms, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. This bothered a patron who then complained to a manager, David Rice, who then complained to one of the detectives: Please take your gun to your car or leave. No guns allowed.

"Upon further discussion, we became aware the individual was a plain-clothed police officer," Denny's spokeswoman Liz DiTrapano said in a statement, according to the News-Democrat. "Denny's policy permits law enforcement officials to carry their firearms in the restaurant, and we regret any misunderstanding."

Denny's sure does, because despite the efforts of a general manager who tried (and failed) to clear up the misunderstanding before the detectives left, the department's chief banned on-duty and off-duty police in uniform from returning to the restaurant.

"This was an insult, a slap in the face, to those detectives and to all of the men and women who proudly wear the uniform or badge and serve in law enforcement," Police Chief William Clay said, according to the News-Democrat.

"This individual [Rice] was the manager of Denny's. He therefore speaks for Denny's, in my mind. This policy effectively prohibits on-duty sworn police officers from dining in a Denny's Restaurant, but allows 'registered sex offenders,' 'felons' and or 'pedophiles' to enjoy a dining experience in Denny's."

I'm completely speechless on this one.
Old 01-03-2013, 6:51 PM

Typical knee-jerk reaction to seeing a person with a gun in our country. The automatic assumption is that there is something wrong with this. The appropriate reaction by the GM would have been to inquire of the nicely dressed, clean cut individuals whether they were LE or private citizens. He could then have intelligently applied his company's policy as they require him to do. Instead, he gave Denny's another black eye.
Old 01-03-2013, 7:03 PM

That was retarded, the end of the story should have been when he approached the detectives and saw their badges.
Old 01-04-2013, 6:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'd like to know the details of the conversation between the employee(s) and the Detectives. I bet that would be good for some laughs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.
Old 01-04-2013, 6:51 AM
Veteran Member

The end of the story should have been him tossing out the wusses who made the complaint against the detectives in plainclothes with badges just wanting to eat. I don't think the guns made any attempt to jump out of their holsters and kill people up to that point, right?
Old 01-04-2013, 9:09 AM

Open season on Denny's in Belleville to criminals as it is not just a gun free zone but a LEO free zone.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell on a BBC broadcast, April 4, 1942

"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." ---Wyatt Earp
Old 01-04-2013, 9:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I don't think the guns made any attempt to jump out of their holsters and kill people up to that point, right?
Or even after I'm sure. Saw a different story on the incident, that said there were radios on the table also. That the offending detective had taken her coat off, and her badge was right next to the offensive sidearm.

Although the real irony is that in a commercial last year for denny's was a line that the right to keep and bear arms, is one of the things that make this country great. I'm guessing no one at this particular denny's saw that commercial, or at the corporate offices either since I guess they have a policy of no firearms.

Last edited by P5Ret; 01-04-2013 at 9:12 AM..
Old 01-04-2013, 9:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When I had read this news story I could only shake my head at the Manager. From the story I read the GM came out from where ever and tried to correct the Manager, but regardless what a FUBAR on their part.
Old 01-04-2013, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

LEO+Restaurant= Safer place to eat
Old 01-04-2013, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Meh...

Don't ever talk to LEOs and don't ever let them inside without a warrant right?

The Denny's Manager is just following the CalGuns off-topic mantra after all.

j/k...
Old 01-04-2013, 9:34 AM

I feel bad for this Denny's if they need a cop anytime soon.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM

Well I will be sure to dine at this fine establishment the next time I am in the area as it is sooo much safer now!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Jonathan Doe

I usually don't go to Denny's. but, I won't ever go there in the future anyways.Their food is not that great.
Old 01-06-2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
I have a problem with detectives not carrying concealed. It's stupid, not tactically sound and creates problems like this.
I'm confused, just how is this different than a uniformed officer sitting down for a meal? Badges, guns, portable radios? It was quite clear they were cops, how would this be tactically unsound?
Old 01-06-2013, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mottmcfly View Post
I feel bad for this Denny's if they need a cop anytime soon.
haha exactly, i would take my time
Old 01-06-2013, 7:24 PM

Sounds like their chief is a stand-up guy.
Old 01-11-2013, 6:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-M-42 View Post
I'm confused, just how is this different than a uniformed officer sitting down for a meal? Badges, guns, portable radios? It was quite clear they were cops, how would this be tactically unsound?
Because if you are in uniform, you have no choice in letting people know who you are and what you do. So you do what you can to minimize the danger with tactical awareness.

If you are in plainclothes, and keep your gun concealed, nobody should know you are a cop in the first place unless you choose to expose it. So when you are in a public place, and something goes down, nobody would immediately identify you as a cop and target you first and you can maintain some modicum of stealth and gain tactical advantage by choosing when to take action after deciding, as much as you can, the time and place to take action, if any action is to be taken. Sometimes you can't take action because you are outgunned or whatnot, and you can remain anonymous and stay alive to be a good witness.

Walking around with your badge and gun exposed in plainclothes pretty much negates any of that choice.
Old 01-11-2013, 5:19 PM

Well, I guess at the restaurant next to my office, the local DOJ facility, sheriff sub-station and contract city PD HQ, we're all doing it wrong....my bad. After 33 years it's unlikely that I'll be changing anytime soon.

Last edited by 1-M-42; 01-11-2013 at 5:21 PM..
Old 01-11-2013, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-M-42 View Post
Well, I guess at the restaurant next to my office, the local DOJ facility, sheriff sub-station and contract city PD HQ, we're all doing it wrong....my bad. After 33 years it's unlikely that I'll be changing anytime soon.
Hey, you do whatever works for you, but if I am in plainclothes, last thing I want is to give up the initiative to take action. I take action when I dictate and not because some waiter is yelling, "Hey, you're a cop, do something!" or have the scumbag just shoot me first because he knows who is the threat.
Old 01-12-2013, 2:16 PM

I'm sorry, but we're supposed to have thick skins. The manager got caught in a goofy situation and then tried to make amends before it got out of control. Maybe he made a dumb move - haven't we all? Yet somehow it got to a boycott by the Department.

I think it just makes the cops look bad. I almost pray there was more to the story than this.