Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-16-2010, 3:33 PM

Default .308 SABOT

What kind of groups do people get out these things? Anyone here shoot them? What do you have to say about it? I think it would be a way cheaper alternative to building myself a .22lr trainer to compliment my .308 bolt action.
Old 04-16-2010, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

I've heard the accuracy of the sabot rounds wasn't too good. The hypothesis as to the cause is the rifling twist not being correct, sabot skidding in the rifling, and the sabot not discarding consistently (at exactly the same time each time) upon exiting the barrel.

The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 04-16-2010, 8:39 PM
Banned

we shot some 30. carbine sabot's...they chrono'd around 1920 fps w/ 55gr FMJ's and all the bullets went sideways...

but the gun cycled great! just cant hit anything...course carbine's are notorious for missing the target, even on a good day!

R
Old 04-17-2010, 6:50 PM
Veteran Member

I shot a number of sabot loads in the Army - from .50BMG SLAP on down. Accuracy isn't what they're about - it's penetration. They're designed to defeat armor not with mass but with excessive velocity.