Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Default USMC Pistol Qualification *Need some help*

I looked through Calguns for answers and I also searched google.

I found this info:
Standard Marine Corps qualification course for the Beretta M9:

1st stage - 25 yards, 15 rounds slow-fire, single action, in 10 minutes

2nd stage - 7 yards, five strings of one round, starting from the low ready, one double action shot, like three seconds per string

3rd stage - 7 yards, four strings, each string is two rounds, starting from the low ready, one double action shot and one single action shot, like five seconds per string

4th stage - 15 yards, two strings, each string is six rounds, starting from the low ready, first round double action, then two rounds single action, hit slide-lock, reload and fire three more single action shots, 20 seconds per string

Does anyone know which targets are used at each stage and what the point values are for the areas of the target????

I know they add up to this:
250 - 279 marksman
280 - 304 sharpshooter
305 - 350 expert

I'm trying to replicate the Pistol Qualification with some friends since a few of us have 92FS pistols but I couldn't find good info online.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If the info I found online is incorrect can someone correct it for me?

Last edited by SOAR79; 06-10-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Ask in the service section of this forum
Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

I never knew there was such a section lol how do I find it?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Main page! Right below LEO section.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAR79 View Post
I never knew there was such a section lol how do I find it?
calgunners in service.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 1:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I looked through Calguns for answers and I also searched google.

Does anyone know which targets are used at each stage and what the point values are for the areas of the target????

I know they add up to this:
250 - 279 marksman
280 - 304 sharpshooter
305 - 350 expert

I'm trying to replicate the Pistol Qualification with some friends since a few of us have 92FS pistols but I couldn't find good info online.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If the info I found online is incorrect can someone correct it for me?

Its a standard NRA 25 yard line slow fire target for all strings of fire pasted on a human silhouette

x and 10 ring count as 10. then 9,8,7,6, 5 is anywhere on the paper not in a ring, 4 is anywhere on the silhouette not on paper.

Your 4th relay info. heres a tip: i stick the mag in my strong hand cufflink and button it tight. makes for fast reloads but some frown upon that.

345-400 - Expert
305-344 - Sharpshooter
285-304 - Marksman

Advice:
[a] bring a white out pen to qual and practice days. most berettas i've come across in the Marine Corps have the night sights worn off.
[b] take your SWEET ***** TIME at the 25yrd line. 85% of people will finish in under 5 minutes and wonder why they dropped 10+ points.
[c] bring a blinder, I used my neck gaiter and pulled it over half my face to cover my weak eye.
[d] dont practice with gloves as you wont be able to wear them without penalty come qual day
[e] speedloader really helps
[f] bring talcom powder, those crappy beretta grips make your hands sweaty easily

Last edited by Germz; 06-11-2013 at 2:14 AM..
Old 06-11-2013, 2:17 AM
Veteran Member

Also, If you are active duty I'd head over to 13 area where the ISMIT is. they have VR beretta training. I practiced with that for a few days and got my average up to about a 376/400. hook them up with a free lunch and they'll more than likely let you play around for a bit. those guys are pretty cool that work there.
Old 06-11-2013, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
Its a standard NRA 25 yard line slow fire target for all strings of fire pasted on a human silhouette

x and 10 ring count as 10. then 9,8,7,6, 5 is anywhere on the paper not in a ring, 4 is anywhere on the silhouette not on paper.

Your 4th relay info. heres a tip: i stick the mag in my strong hand cufflink and button it tight. makes for fast reloads but some frown upon that.

345-400 - Expert
305-344 - Sharpshooter
285-304 - Marksman

Advice:
[a] bring a white out pen to qual and practice days. most berettas i've come across in the Marine Corps have the night sights worn off.
[b] take your SWEET ***** TIME at the 25yrd line. 85% of people will finish in under 5 minutes and wonder why they dropped 10+ points.
[c] bring a blinder, I used my neck gaiter and pulled it over half my face to cover my weak eye.
[d] dont practice with gloves as you wont be able to wear them without penalty come qual day
[f] bring talcom powder, those crappy beretta grips make your hands sweaty easily
great advice during slow fire i would actually put the weapon down on the bench and relax, sadly i was shooting the clapped out 1911 good luck.
Old 06-11-2013, 3:55 AM

Looks like there still using the same qual course I used 20 years ago. Not sure if u are but I have naturally very shaky hands so pistol qual was actually chalenging for me to get expert. Funny story is I was a PMI and coach and one hidden secret we used on the people who were horrible shots or naturally shaky or nervous all the time was to get drunk the night before qual and you'd be hungover qual day, it would actually steady the hands, and nerves wouldn't be a problem. It worked for me and quite a few guys I coached. Be sure to try this before and see if it works for you, some people are more shaky hungover, worth a try if you have problems though, plus the Corps loves to shoot and drink so you get best of both worlds.
Old 06-11-2013, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
Looks like there still using the same qual course I used 20 years ago. Not sure if u are but I have naturally very shaky hands so pistol qual was actually chalenging for me to get expert. Funny story is I was a PMI and coach and one hidden secret we used on the people who were horrible shots or naturally shaky or nervous all the time was to get drunk the night before qual and you'd be hungover qual day, it would actually steady the hands, and nerves wouldn't be a problem. It worked for me and quite a few guys I coached. Be sure to try this before and see if it works for you, some people are more shaky hungover, worth a try if you have problems though, plus the Corps loves to shoot and drink so you get best of both worlds.
That's still very much in use today.
Old 06-11-2013, 6:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdogg View Post
great advice during slow fire i would actually put the weapon down on the bench and relax, sadly i was shooting the clapped out 1911 good luck.

clapped out? I way rather shoot the 1911's! so much less felt recoil!
Old 06-11-2013, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post

345-400 - Expert
305-344 - Sharpshooter
285-304 - Marksman

Advice:
Great info! Thanks for all the help man!
Old 06-11-2013, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
hahaha hilarious!
Old 06-11-2013, 6:27 PM

Bit off-topic, but how would you active guys say the Berettas are holding up? Are they all worn out and wobbly, or are they keeping their accuracy?

I only shot a borrowed one once in a match, 20+ years ago, but it would put them all in one raggedy hole at 7 yds and dinging a 6" plate at 25 was boringly predictable. I thought I had talked the guy into selling it to me, even bought a holster and other gear, then he changed his mind and decided he still wanted to carry it on duty as an LEO. Brothers, wadya gonna do?

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 06-11-2013, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I realize this isn't the same course of fire, but here's a pic of my 92FS and target from 25 yards away . 2 mags , 15 rounds apiece . I'd imagine my Hogue Pearl grips are slicker then anything in the DoD inventory.

Distance.

For the long range stuff, here's what helped me out. Focus in on the front sight. Your gun/sight picture is GOING to move relative to the target. There's no human way shooting offhand that your weapon will NOT have some side to side movement. The key is to tune that out and focus on the fundamentals; front sight and trigger press, period.

At that range its possible you won't see much of the target behind the sights, so being able to focus on the front sight is critical. My 92FS shoots point of aim ,meaning the round goes where the front sight is aimed. At 25 yards you'll want to hold slightly high at that distance. Its hard to explain, but for me to hit the center of the silhouette above I "aimed" for the head.

The last time I shot at this distance I held right on the center and got abdominal hits for a reward.

Last words of advice: take your time, don't drink coffee or shaky stimulants, use good breath control, and a slow press to the rear is absolutely critical.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 06-11-2013, 9:47 PM

This whole course of fire is about to change. My understanding is its already been approved by HQMC. This new course will have a different target and will be much more tactically oriented and focus on close engagement defensive situations. I imagine it will be implemented in the new fiscal year.

As far as the durability of the 92fs its pretty good. I have seen cracked slides and other failures but for the amount of abuse they take I'd say they are doing well. My current issued one is quite well worn but can still punch paper better than me. I do great at 25yds and blow it with the rapid drills. I end up with a bunch of 6 and 7 hits instead of 10's. always end up about 5 points shy of expert.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Focus in on the front sight.... The key is to tune that out and focus on the fundamentals; front sight and trigger press, period.

At that range its possible you won't see much of the target behind the sights, so being able to focus on the front sight is critical. My 92FS shoots point of aim ,meaning the round goes where the front sight is aimed. At 25 yards you'll want to hold slightly high at that distance. Its hard to explain, but for me to hit the center of the silhouette above I "aimed" for the head.

The last time I shot at this distance I held right on the center and got abdominal hits for a reward.
^This. I assumed that was the fundamentals to all shooting. but NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER look focus at your target. ALWAYS look focus at on your front sight. you shouldnt even see where your shots are landing.

with such a short sight radius, you must COMPLETELY put faith in your ability to execute proper sight alignment / sight picture and stead trigger control.

personally me, I hold on edge with the bottom of the x ring to hit center and top of the 10 ring.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Is qualifing done shooting one handed or two ?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome advice!
Old 06-12-2013, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
Is qualifing done shooting one handed or two ?
I think it's all 2 handed
Old 06-12-2013, 9:54 PM

Quote:
I think it's all 2 handed
Two.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-13-2013, 4:01 AM
Veteran Member

At 25 yards shooting 9mm, there should be NO holdover whatsoever.

should be point of aim, point of impact
Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the help you guys!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
At 25 yards shooting 9mm, there should be NO holdover whatsoever.

should be point of aim, point of impact
That has been my experience too. It has held up when shooting a Beretta 92, SIG 226, Glock G19 and S&W M&P9. I just bisect the target where I want the rounds to impact and press the trigger
Old 08-09-2013, 1:11 PM

If you want to replicate the USMC pistol qual make sure you use crappy ammo, wear the insides to right before they would fail, and cut the springs in the trigger so you randomly fire two rounds on accident.
Old 08-09-2013, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

If you guys are not in the service anymore, you should shoot the more challenging NRA National Match course. There is a division for military and retired military. An expert military score will be below the lowest ranked NM score. Step up and be challenged.
Old 08-11-2013, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_Smoke View Post
If you want to replicate the USMC pistol qual make sure you use crappy ammo, wear the insides to right before they would fail, and cut the springs in the trigger so you randomly fire two rounds on accident.
hahaha that doesn't sound fun at all!
Old 08-11-2013, 5:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
If you guys are not in the service anymore, you should shoot the more challenging NRA National Match course. There is a division for military and retired military. An expert military score will be below the lowest ranked NM score. Step up and be challenged.
If I can shoot expert consistently (let's say 5 times in a row) then I'll step up lol is there a specific website you use for the course set up you're talking about?