Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-25-2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
So, 1-5 has no contact info. So if you only do 1-5, how can they contact you? No address, no email, no phone in that section. So, IF we must mail these in it appears we must fill out part of section 7 which contradicts the directions on the form.

So what do you do? Fill in portions of section 7 so they know how to contact you and possibly get bounced back since you did something not asked of on the form? Or not fill that section in and thy have no way to contact you.
Yep. The lady said to fill out everything and conceded that the instructions are confusing.
Old 02-25-2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift View Post
Thank you - poor reading skills on my part.
I still will send a check.
Not at all. Process is confusing. Wish I had left a payment too. Hope it pays off for you.
Old 02-25-2014, 7:18 PM

Section 7.4

"Have you ever been involved in an incident involving firearms?"

I was robbed at gunpoint. Does that qualify? Or are they asking if I was using a firearm in any incident?
Old 02-25-2014, 7:20 PM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by <blocked> View Post
When I explained the ruling becomes final next week she had no clue...
Actually...

Quote:
There are actually four separate dates to calculate. They are dictated by the federal rules of appellate procedure, FRAP,the local rules of the 9th circuit, or the rules of the United States Supreme Court. The Peruta opinion was issued on February 13, 2014.

The first date is how long do the parties have to request an en banc rehearing. The answer is 14 days after the judgement. So 2/13/14 + 14 days. Sheriff Gore said he would not ask for an En Banc opinion, but if he changes his mind he has until February 27, 2014.

Quote:
FRAP RULE 40. PETITION FOR PANEL REHEARING
(a) Time to File; Contents; Answer; Action by the Court if Granted.
(1) Time. Unless the time is shortened or extended by order or local rule, a petition for panel rehearing may be filed within 14 days after entry of judgment

The second date is how long does the court itself have to bring a motion to re-hear the case. This concept of the court bringing a motion on its own accord without prompting from the parties is known as sua sponte. This is dictated in CA9's rules. The Ninth circuit says the court has 7 days after the en banc deadline given to parties to file their own en banc call sua sponte. So 2/27/14 + 7 = March 6, 2014. If you read the below that makes sense as it also says generally the calculation is 21 days after the original opinion is issued. Feb 13 + 21 also = March 6th.

Quote:
Ninth Circuit General Orders 5.4. Rehearing En Banc

3. Sua Sponte Calls

A judge may sua sponte call for a vote on rehearing en banc within seven days of the expiration of the time for filing a petition for panel rehearing or rehearing en banc. This means the sua sponte call must ordinarily be made within 21 days of the filing of the panel's decision in all cases, except civil cases in which the United States is a party. In such cases, the call must ordinarily be made within 52 days of the filing of the panel's decision.

In order for this case to be "binding" on San Diego they must receive an order from the District Court (That is the lowest level federal court). However the problem is that the Peruta opinion was issued by the Federal Appellate Court (The middle level court, one level below the Supreme Court). So in order for the case to be final the appellate court must return jurisdiction to the District court so the district court can issue the order in Edward Peruta's favor. This process is done through the issuing of a mandate. A mandate is a notice to the district court from the appellate court that says, "Okay, we are done with this case. He is our opinion, please issue an order to the parties accordingly".

So when is the mandate issued?

FRAP 41 dictates the timeline for the issuing of a mandate. And it is 7 days after the deadline for the filing of an en banc hearing, and generally 21 days after the opinion is issued.

So again, March 6th.

Quote:
FRAP Rule 41MANDATE: CONTENTS; ISSUANCE AND EFFECTIVE DATE; STAY
(b) When Issued. The court's mandate must issue 7 days after the time to file a petition for rehearing expires, or 7 days after entry of an order denying a timely petition for panel rehearing, petition for rehearing en banc, or motion for stay of mandate, whichever is later. The court may shorten or extend the time.

Last question is what about the Supreme Court of the United States? Sheriff Gore could appeal directly to them, he has 90 days from Feb 13th to do so. If he does the case is not automatically stayed (put on hold), but he can request it be stayed.

Quote:
RULE 13. REVIEW ON CERTIORARI: TIME FOR PETITIONING
1. Unless otherwise provided by law, a petition for a writ of certiorari to review a judgment in any case, civil or criminal, entered by a state court of last resort or a United States court of appeals (including the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces) is timely when it is filed with the Clerk of this Court within 90 days after entry of the judgment. A petition for a writ of certiorari seeking review of a judgment of a lower state court that is subject to discretionary review by the state court of last resort is timely when it is filed with the Clerk within 90 days after entry of the order denying discretionary review.

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 02-25-2014, 7:52 PM

Technically true, but...

FRAP Rule 41 and RULE 13. REVIEW ON CERTIORARI: TIME FOR PETITIONING
- seem unlikely given how the Peruta ruling cites previous SCOTUS rulings.
Old 02-25-2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Nowhere on the website or in the form's directions does it say not to pay. IANAL but failure to send a check for the $12 and change would seem to create an incomplete application and the 90 day clock would not start.

Directly above the fee schedule on the Sheriff's page:

Quote:
The Department of Justice and San Diego County Sheriff’s Department are both involved in the processing of this application, each agency requires certain fees. Fees will be collected at the end of your second interview.
Old 02-25-2014, 8:14 PM

Thank you. ^^^^^^
Old 02-25-2014, 8:16 PM
Banned

Will a shoplifting conviction when I was 13 in 1993 show up in the background check? I wasn't arrested/detained. Just had to show up to court and do community service.
Old 02-25-2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Thank you. ^^^^^^
Keep in mind that the guy that already had his interview said he brought everything with him including the cash and recommended everyone else do the same. With the new process, I don't know what is best. I just saw that while trying to find out exactly how much money I needed to submit.

I don't know if it would stall anything submitting money with the app, but I don't want to give the gov any more money than I need to.
Old 02-25-2014, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

"Please disregard the “Important Instructions” on page two of the State application and complete all sections of the application. Also, please do not submit fees at this time."

Well I went ahead and signed the signature areas since they now say complete ALL sections.

Can always sign it again in front of someone or whatever.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 02-25-2014, 8:39 PM

I submitted today and the young lady at the counter was very nice. I did not wait in line, she just made sure my app was completed and I watched her stamp it and she told me I could be on my way. I then asked her if the 90 day clock started and she said NO. The 90day clock(law might change because of the high volume of applications they are getting) will start once we meet for interview, submit payment and fingerprints. She explained the 90days give then time to get fingerprint results and that will be delayed since so many people are applying. I asked about them hiring more people... She told me they regulate 32 licenses and as a whole division, there are only 20 of then. Maybe we all should fill out the comment cards they have there to get them more staff........ Even then, I was reminded they'll have to get trained.

So again, fill out everything you can on the application. Even sign. Send NO FEES!!! She said they will return applications with fees since they are not collecting fees. (I'm not sure if they send back whole application or just the money orders. NEVER SEND CASH)

I see people posting about $12 few so I asked. She said the application process fee is $12.63 BUT my application was not being processed, so I could not pay. ALSO fingerprint fees are $93 (she said we can't do our fingerprints on our own time)

I hope this helps everyone out. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. They do have a medal dector, so don't wear belts

Send from my iPhone -- correct me if I'm wrong
Old 02-25-2014, 9:05 PM

Boom. I'm headed in tomorrow. I claimed the robbery as an incident with a firearm. Figured they already know about it anyway.

I will sign in front of the clerk tomorrow.

Thanks for the info everyone. Something else is bound to change, but as long as I'm not out money, it's all good.
Old 02-25-2014, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrokaren View Post
I submitted today and the young lady at the counter was very nice. I did not wait in line, she just made sure my app was completed and I watched her stamp it and she told me I could be on my way. I then asked her if the 90 day clock started and she said NO. The 90day clock(law might change because of the high volume of applications they are getting) will start once we meet for interview, submit payment and fingerprints. She explained the 90days give then time to get fingerprint results and that will be delayed since so many people are applying. I asked about them hiring more people... She told me they regulate 32 licenses and as a whole division, there are only 20 of then. Maybe we all should fill out the comment cards they have there to get them more staff........ Even then, I was reminded they'll have to get trained.

So again, fill out everything you can on the application. Even sign. Send NO FEES!!! She said they will return applications with fees since they are not collecting fees. (I'm not sure if they send back whole application or just the money orders. NEVER SEND CASH)

I see people posting about $12 few so I asked. She said the application process fee is $12.63 BUT my application was not being processed, so I could not pay. ALSO fingerprint fees are $93 (she said we can't do our fingerprints on our own time)

I hope this helps everyone out. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. They do have a medal dector, so don't wear belts

Send from my iPhone -- correct me if I'm wrong
Once you have filed your application with the issuing agency the 90 day clock is started. The 30 day clock starts from the time the issuing agency gets your LiveScan results back.

The clerk can say whatever they want, they STILL have to abide by California law.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 02-25-2014, 9:13 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Once you have filed your application with the issuing agency the 90 day clock is started. The 30 day clock starts from the time the issuing agency gets your LiveScan results back.

The clerk can say whatever they want, they STILL have to abide by California law.
Yes but she said since they are not collecting fees, the process has not started. She reassured me that NOTHINg world be done to the applications until the corts were final. I understand the 90 day law, but once she explained they are not exception fees, it's not a complete application.
Old 02-25-2014, 9:18 PM

Wait, so my appointment for August 21 is not longer standing. Is there a list of things we need out there i.e. documentation etc. I was told by lady on phone to bring proof of class, and by instructor who called SDSD office to not take class until after approval. I am so dang confused right now its ridiculous. Just give me my CCW
Old 02-25-2014, 9:21 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
Wait, so my appointment for August 21 is not longer standing. Is there a list of things we need out there i.e. documentation etc. I was told by lady on phone to bring proof of class, and by instructor who called SDSD office to not take class until after approval. I am so dang confused right now its ridiculous. Just give me my CCW
Yes, they cancelled appoints. Full out application (sdsheriff.net) & turn it in @ 9621 Ridgehaven ASAP. No fees, no nothing. They will call you back for a new apt.

Sent from my iPhone, correct me if I'm wrong
Old 02-25-2014, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes but she said since they are not collecting fees, the process has not started. She reassured me that NOTHINg world be done to the applications until the corts were final. I understand the 90 day law, but once she explained they are not exception fees, it's not a complete application.
That will be amusing testimony when SDSO is being sued for not following current California statute. Irrespective of the clerks opinion, the issuing agency is not absolved from complying with the legislatures intent when they passed SB610.

Keep a calendar of events and hold the issuing agency to the 90/30 clock. Do not let them deviate from their obligations.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 02-25-2014, 9:51 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
BS. They can choose whether or not to accept fees, but then cannot refuse to accept applications.
My posts may contain general information related to the law, however, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice. No attorney-client or confidential relationship exists or will be formed between myself and any other person on the basis of these posts. Pronouns I may use (such as "you" and "your") do NOT refer to any particular person under any circumstance.
Old 02-25-2014, 9:56 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds to me like the 90 day clock does start until they livescan you. From what I recall your prints are not just added to the database, but run through to make sure they don't pop. This would be a component of the background check and if its not done it would extend the clock indefinitely at least according to the statute.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.

Last edited by lorax3; 02-25-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 10:13 PM

I made a hacked together tut on how to submit your initial app online, no printing necessary and sent certified.

Benefit to all those who can't make it to the Sheriff's office, live far away or find that going to the post office sucks. My ulterior motive is to continue the flood of apps and see what happens when the system breaks.

Right now the video is unlisted. If no one finds any necessary corrections I'll make it public.

Let me know if it helps you at all.

Old 02-26-2014, 1:07 AM

Ok so here is all the info I received after talking to the Licensing clerk at SDSO.

First they are separating persons that are applying for personal use and those applying for business use. If applying for business use they still going by the old system until things are settled.

So I walked in, stated I was looking to do a CCW for my business and actually after talking to the Clerk got my first interview right then and there. The clerk went over the rules and that until the District court rules on the case the limited valid reasons for good cause still apply (I deal with a lot of cash so I had a "good cause"). So I passed the first interview and now have to collect everything the clerk stated I needed for the 2nd interview. The clerk was extremely nice and helpful and talked to me in a casual manner.

While talking and going over the list a asked question about CCW applications for personal use of the CCW permits. I was told that the 1st interview is not going away (they ask ALOT of questions about your background) and everyone that is scheduled will still be served in the order they were scheduled. What they are doing is technically rescheduling everyone until the final decision by the District Court. SO everyone is just being placed in a pile and once they get the final ruling then they will start scheduling interviews again.

The 60 to 90 days is not going away or getting shorter because they still finger print at the licensing office and it takes time to do the background check. They also have no plans to add staff so the same 3 to 4 people will be processing all the applications and interviews, I feel sorry for those guys having boxes of application dumped on them.

Ohh and as far as a black mark on your record that part is TRUE for this reason:

Being denied the CCW does not make you have a criminal record, but what it does do is show up when anyone is doing a background check on you. When they see you were denied a CCW then the red flags go up that makes the person stop and investigate further into why you were denied (mental problems, criminal record, domestic violence). So while it can slow down or stop background checks, the majority of people it will not be harmed by it..
Old 02-26-2014, 2:25 AM

Not processing applications? That's not in the statute. I swear these people need a swift kick in the tail pipe. I'm sure someone will post the case, but you to perform your duties - you can't just not do it.
Old 02-26-2014, 5:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
It sounds to me like the 90 day clock does start until they livescan you. From what I recall your prints are not just added to the database, but run through to make sure they don't pop. This would be a component of the background check and if its not done it would extend the clock indefinitely at least according to the statute.
Quote:
26205. The licensing authority shall give written notice to the
applicant indicating if the license under this article is approved or
denied. The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90
days of the initial application for a new license
or a license
renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal
background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later.
If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement
was not satisfied.
San Diego cannot just make up when they will respond to your application or control the pace at which they receive background check responses, particularly if LiveScan can be conduction outside their offices.

I believe this is why both the application and LiveScan should be done on the same day regardless of what San Diego tells people. They shouldn't be allowed to slow walk every application or accumulate a pile of applications claiming that they are awaiting the outcome of a court case when the statute directs them to respond in a particular way within a particular timetable.

Old 02-26-2014, 5:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eyes View Post
Ohh and as far as a black mark on your record that part is TRUE for this reason:

Being denied the CCW does not make you have a criminal record, but what it does do is show up when anyone is doing a background check on you. When they see you were denied a CCW then the red flags go up that makes the person stop and investigate further into why you were denied (mental problems, criminal record, domestic violence). So while it can slow down or stop background checks, the majority of people it will not be harmed by it..
Pretty much what my logic was earlier on. May not stop you from getting a CCW, but does have some potential ramifications. Which is why I want to wait to send anything until March so that hopefully, what I send is a top notch app from a guy that has zero history to stop and look at twice and is sent when we know 100% for sure "self defense" is ratified and accepted as a just cause reason. Because if it is not, I will not waste my time or effort and send anything knowing it will be rejected so as to not get rejected and have anything in the system ever showing I tried.
Old 02-26-2014, 6:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
I made a hacked together tut on how to submit your initial app online, no printing necessary and sent certified.

Benefit to all those who can't make it to the Sheriff's office, live far away or find that going to the post office sucks. My ulterior motive is to continue the flood of apps and see what happens when the system breaks.

Right now the video is unlisted. If no one finds any necessary corrections I'll make it public.

Let me know if it helps you at all.

Unfortunately, I can't watch it -- it's says the video is private
Old 02-26-2014, 6:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eyes View Post

While talking and going over the list a asked question about CCW applications for personal use of the CCW permits. I was told that the 1st interview is not going away (they ask ALOT of questions about your background) and everyone that is scheduled will still be served in the order they were scheduled. ...................
What kind of questions?
They application already seems to have a lot of questions on background as it is. What's left they want to know?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 02-26-2014, 8:23 AM

Lightbulb SDSD Updated their website again...

Members of the public wishing to obtain a CCW under the standards articulated by the Ninth Circuit should be aware that the decision has not yet become final.

Federal court rules prescribe a period of time which must elapse before the case is remanded to the District Court for further proceedings.

In order to accommodate, and expedite, the large numbers of anticipated applications, the Sheriff’s Department is revising the process for issuing CCW permits. Anyone wanting to apply for a CCW may submit an application either by mail at P.O. Box 939062, San Diego CA 92193-9062, or in person at 9621 Ridgehaven Court, San Diego, CA 92123.

Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. All applications received that meet the current “good cause” standard will be contacted by a licensing staff member with instructions on how to complete the process.

Applications that seek a CCW permit under the self-defense standard set forth in Peruta v. County of San Diego will be processed in the order they were received should the decision of the Ninth Circuit become final. Once the decision becomes final, applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s Licensing Division with instructions on how to complete the process.

Please disregard the “Important Instructions” on page two of the State application and complete all sections of the application. Also, please do not submit fees at this time.
Old 02-26-2014, 8:25 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDanTX View Post
Applications that seek a CCW permit under the self-defense standard set forth in Peruta v. County of San Diego will be processed in the order they were received should the decision of the Ninth Circuit become final.
Do we have any idea how long this is going to take?
Old 02-26-2014, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
Unfortunately, I can't watch it -- it's says the video is private
My mistake. Updated.
Old 02-26-2014, 8:48 AM

Default San Diego Updated Process! 2/26/2014

San Diego residents, there is a new procedure yet again. I got off the phone this morning and this is what I got. Admin, please feel free to merge if necessary.

They will be canceling ALL appointments.
It is now a mail in or drop off in person process.
You are not required to submit proof of address/residence.
There are NO fee’s to pay upfront.
Apps will be date stamped. Apps have been date stamped as of yesterday 2/25/14.
When the ruling is set in stone, apps will be reviewed in order that they were received.
A follow-up phone call will be made with instructions on how to proceed, fees required etc.

I was informed the website will be updated to reflect the information posted above very soon if not today. Further, when I asked if it was ok to drop off an app for a significant other, the kind lady said that was okay to do. Go apply!

Last edited by p1choco; 02-26-2014 at 9:10 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

FYI: As of early this morning they had about 80 applications in the Peruta stack.

Old 02-26-2014, 9:33 AM

Great, now all the counties need to do this.
Old 02-26-2014, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDanTX View Post
Members of the public wishing to obtain a CCW under the standards articulated by the Ninth Circuit should be aware that the decision has not yet become final.

Federal court rules prescribe a period of time which must elapse before the case is remanded to the District Court for further proceedings.

In order to accommodate, and expedite, the large numbers of anticipated applications, the Sheriff’s Department is revising the process for issuing CCW permits. Anyone wanting to apply for a CCW may submit an application either by mail at P.O. Box 939062, San Diego CA 92193-9062, or in person at 9621 Ridgehaven Court, San Diego, CA 92123.

Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. All applications received that meet the current “good cause” standard will be contacted by a licensing staff member with instructions on how to complete the process.

Applications that seek a CCW permit under the self-defense standard set forth in Peruta v. County of San Diego will be processed in the order they were received should the decision of the Ninth Circuit become final. Once the decision becomes final, applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s Licensing Division with instructions on how to complete the process.

Please disregard the “Important Instructions” on page two of the State application and complete all sections of the application. Also, please do not submit fees at this time.
Your days behind buddy.. we have already covered that. Read the thread and catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
FYI: As of early this morning they had about 80 applications in the Peruta stack.
Wow, that is actually not as bad as I expected.

So I wonder if - if Peruta holds up in March - they flip that stack over and start from the "bottom" - or start taking them right off the "top"
Old 02-26-2014, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
So I wonder if - if Peruta holds up in March - they flip that stack over and start from the "bottom" - or start taking them right off the "top"
fwiw, I was told by a clerk at the Sheriff's office that all apps in the "Peruta Pile" are timestamped, and if / when the time comes to process them, it'll be done according to the timestamp on the application
Old 02-26-2014, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
fwiw, I was told by a clerk at the Sheriff's office that all apps in the "Peruta Pile" are timestamped, and if / when the time comes to process them, it'll be done according to the timestamp on the application
Yeah I know, just taking a jab at the sheriff's office staff given how many contradictory pieces of info are floating around direct from them, so will someone there even remember, IF the time comes, where the top or app to start even is.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
They shouldn't be allowed to slow walk every application or accumulate a pile of applications claiming that they are awaiting the outcome of a court case when the statute directs them to respond in a particular way within a particular timetable.
Quote:
26205. The licensing authority shall give written notice to the
applicant indicating if the license under this article is approved or
denied. The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90
days of the initial application for a new license or a license
renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal
background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later.

If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement
was not satisfied.
I of course agree these applications should be speedy, processed all in one day, and approved instantly upon a clean background check, but I'll play devils advocate.

The latter half of the statute does give them some out here. If we look only at the code the clock does not start until the livescan is processed. There is no law at least under the penal code that says this all has to be done on a single day, nor does it say the process cannot be done in parts.

So if you challenged them in court what would be your claim? Well, you depending on length of delay you could probably bring in this statute, show the legislative history, and show evidence that other counties get this done in a reasonable amount of time. But if you sued them today and somehow got into a courtroom tomorrow and claimed "Now, now now", the court would probably side with San Diego. In a county with 3 million people having at least three weeks to fix policies and procedures to start accepting applications seems something the court would find reasonable. The district court gets jurisdiction next week and until then the appellate court judgement is not final.

Coming back to reality now. The biggest issue I have is the two piles of applications. I was the first person in line in San Diego prepared to apply after they started accepting applications in person with no appointment. The attitude of the clerk seemed like they were doing me some sort of favor by holding my application so "there is no CCW denial on your record". I asked if I could just be processed under the "old rules" and risk a denial; their answer was no. I think under the statute they could legally get away with making the process several reasonably timed parts, but all together refusing to continue the application process when your GC is "self-defense" does not pass the smell test.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.

Last edited by lorax3; 02-26-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Again, what about those of us who paid and got scanned? Do they have any legal reason to stop those applications, and put them in the "wait and see" pile? By the end of May, a whole bunch of us will be coming up on the end of our 90 day periods. If we hit that point, and still have not heard anything, what do we do?

-Mb
Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Dropped mine off this AM. There was no time stamp. They stamped it with a date. It simply said "February 26, 2014". So if 200 applications get turned in in one day, I'm not sure how they know who is first. But at least I did my part.

There were 6 other people who came in to pick up applications while we were there. One other guy actually had his paperwork filled out except for the last section. One other guy was there to renew.

Specifically asked if the papers needed to be signed. Clerk said you could do it if you wanted, but it was not necessary. That kinda gave me a feeling that they are simply going through motions right now.

Watched them stamp my paper with the date, and put it in a pile with one other app, he told me they were keeping them in order, and I left.

I still have my phone appointment scheduled and haven't heard of anyone I know getting a cancellation call.

Just figured I'd get my stuff in another pile and wait to see what sort of hokey pokey they make us do next.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
By the end of May, a whole bunch of us will be coming up on the end of our 90 day periods. If we hit that point, and still have not heard anything, what do we do?

-Mb
For those of us that haven't been interviewed, I personally don't see what the fuss about 90 days is about. The law states "whichever is later". You don't get a background check until after your interview. So that will pretty much guarantee your background check will be after 90 days, so the 90 days will be irrelevant. "Whichever is later" WILL be 30 days after your background check, which they were saying is apparently 6-12 months out at the current pace.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
Again, what about those of us who paid and got scanned? Do they have any legal reason to stop those applications, and put them in the "wait and see" pile? By the end of May, a whole bunch of us will be coming up on the end of our 90 day periods. If we hit that point, and still have not heard anything, what do we do?

-Mb
I think this is one of the downsides to rushing forward as one of the first guys in sadly. You are in an odd unclear limbo at the moment. The rest of us now better know the most current mandate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
I still have my phone appointment scheduled and haven't heard of anyone I know getting a cancellation call.
I wonder if they will cancel those that are set to interview before March 6/7 and the rest the will leave on the books since they will know by then. I am 1st week of July and I have heard nothing. I suppose they have many, many calls to make before the July group, just just saying.