Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-15-2019, 6:42 PM

Default Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle .223

I see this rifle once in a while in gunstores and was wondering for those of you who own one, what were your thoughts on this?
Old 05-15-2019, 6:55 PM

One of my favorite rifles hands down. I just bought a mini 30 to compliment it.
Old 05-15-2019, 7:01 PM

The AR crowd will say they are not accurate, you will be the best judge of that. But have you ever heard anyone who owns a mini say they hate it? You could always get an AR or AK and Neuter it, or spend over $2000 for a M1A. But the Mini is a hidden gem for me. It has its quirks (but doesn't the AK or AR?) but most of them are positive.
Old 05-15-2019, 7:04 PM

One thing, it never jams. Plus, with a scope, it pretty accurate.
Old 05-15-2019, 7:18 PM

Love em'!!! Have a mini14 and 30. Tons of haters out there with the same rhetoric.....not accurate enough. It was never designed to be a sub moa rifle, but is more than capable as a ****ing workhorse no bull**** rifle. Never heard of a sub moa ak either , but those same haters can't seem to praise them enough. Never had a problem ringing steel @ 500yds with any of the 4 minis I've owned.
Old 05-15-2019, 7:23 PM

I've had a mini 14 for over 30 years. It's solid, fun, and you don't need to worry about all the featureless stuff.

Yes, I also have AR's and shoot them more often, but I won't ever get rid of my mini.
Old 05-15-2019, 7:31 PM

I have a 562 series. Have shot a few over the years. I enjoy mine.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1 View Post
One thing, it never jams. Plus, with a scope, it pretty accurate.
Previously owned a 583 series stainless steel mini14. it had feeding issues with factory mags and shoud have never left Ruger factory. Ultimately switched to AR platform
Old 05-16-2019, 1:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk518 View Post
The AR crowd will say they are not accurate, you will be the best judge of that. But have you ever heard anyone who owns a mini say they hate it? You could always get an AR or AK and Neuter it, or spend over $2000 for a M1A. But the Mini is a hidden gem for me. It has its quirks (but doesn't the AK or AR?) but most of them are positive.
The size of the rifle and that it shoots .308 are better reasons to not want an M1A than the cost. They are MUCH cheaper than $2000. If being long and heavy doesn't bother you, it's only a few hundred more than a Mini.
Old 05-16-2019, 4:06 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Nice guns, I have a few and will never sell them.

AR-15 Parts | We Ship FAST
Dealer | Toolcraft | Ballistic Advantage | Radian Weapons
20 yr Air Force Veteran Owned & Operated
FL Based California Escapee
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
www.spicetac.com
David@SpiceTac.com
Stick It To The Man - No Sales Tax on Cali Orders!
Old 05-16-2019, 4:09 AM

I love mine. I can hit a man sized target at 200 yards every time. If I want "accuracy", I'll shoot my bolt rifles.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't worry scro!" - Dr. Lexus
Old 05-16-2019, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
The size of the rifle and that it shoots .308 are better reasons to not want an M1A than the cost. They are MUCH cheaper than $2000. If being long and heavy doesn't bother you, it's only a few hundred more than a Mini.
I'm sure, I've never looked into an M1A honestly because I have the Mini. My Mini was purchased back around 1990ish, it was my 1st long gun, so, well you know first love and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
I love mine. I can hit a man sized target at 200 yards every time. If I want "accuracy", I'll shoot my bolt rifles.
Yup, it's not like the MOA is 10 or anything.
Old 05-16-2019, 7:49 AM

I have had many Ruger Minis since 1982 (I was an FFL) and carried both a Mini-14 and Mini-30 as LEO trunk weapons. My current 584 series Mini-30 can whack the 200 yard, 12" gong with every shot. The 583 Mini-14 I had before the 584 could do it also. Stick to Ruger factory mags and good to go.

The current 580+ series weapons are much improved accuracy wise over earlier ones. They have thicker tapered barrels and M1 style ghost ring rear and post and wing front sights. 2 MOA is typical with factory ammo, and I have gotten 1.5 with handloads. For a home defense carbine, 2 MOA is fine, as that is still man sized at 400 yards and I can't see that far. I had AKs since 1986 (until last year), and never had an AK that even came close to a Mini in accuracy. I still have and like the AR15 platform, since I have been shooting them since 1974. The Mini is just another tool in the tool box.

Ruger CS is awesome. If you get one and it has a problem, they will fix or replace it free. Out of 8 or 9 Mini-14 and Mini-30s I have owned in the last 37 years, only one had to go back, and they replaced it without question.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 05-16-2019 at 7:54 AM..
Old 05-16-2019, 7:52 AM

I like mine. On the plus side, the kommies don't seem to be coming after it....
Old 05-16-2019, 10:39 AM

Love my Mini-14. It’s perfect for plinking at my ranch. Soda cans at 100 yards don’t stand a chance lol
Old 05-16-2019, 3:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Paging Chuck Dizzle....
Old 05-17-2019, 9:30 AM

I love Mini's and M1's too, though if desiring modern modularity with the usage of AR uppers, then the Fightlight SCR lower brings a Mini like shooting experience with AR accuracy and modularity to the table.

https://fightlite.com/rifles/scr

https://fightlite.com/lowers
Old 05-17-2019, 10:00 AM

I've had two in my life, but sold both because I needed money.

If you do get a Mini-14, I recommend getting a trigger job from Brimstone Gunsmithing.
http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/mini-trigger-work/
Old 05-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

If you're a fan of the Rugger Mini me, then God bless you and enjoy. If nostalgia and minute of beer can accuracy @100yds is your thing. God bless you.

But... don't bench race or otherwise say they are a soda can killer at 200 yards or can be made to be. It was designed as a 223 plinker and that's about it. That's it's wheel house and it's damn good at it.

Rugger wants to much for it. I find that to be my biggest problem with the Mini me.

I'm not a Rugger hater. I just call them like I see them. Nobody else makes one (or similar),so you're stuck with Rugger & Rugger for your addiction. No competition breeds hubris and you pay for it.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-17-2019, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

The mini-14...America's AK. The same folks who fawn over an AK and its 4-6" groups @ 100 yds have apoplexy at the thought of a Mini-14 doing the same if not better.

My 185 will shoot 62 and 68 gr .223 rounds at 3" @ 100 yds with irons no problem.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 05-17-2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
If you're a fan of the Rugger Mini me, then God bless you and enjoy. If nostalgia and minute of beer can accuracy @100yds is your thing. God bless you.

But... don't bench race or otherwise say they are a soda can killer at 200 yards or can be made to be. It was designed as a 223 plinker and that's about it. That's it's wheel house and it's damn good at it.

Rugger wants to much for it. I find that to be my biggest problem with the Mini me.

I'm not a Rugger hater. I just call them like I see them. Nobody else makes one (or similar),so you're stuck with Rugger & Rugger for your addiction. No competition breeds hubris and you pay for it.
I can pluck clay pigeons off the 350yd berm all day long with my mini. I do have a scope though. I have seen more than one though that couldn't match that. I got a good one.
Old 05-17-2019, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls View Post
I can pluck clay pigeons off the 350yd berm all day long with my mini. I do have a scope though. I have seen more than one though that couldn't match that. I got a good one.
That is indeed a keeper. If Rugger could consistently build that kind of a Mini me the shooting public would be all over it.
You got a winner.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-17-2019, 7:20 PM

Told ya people would say complain about the accuracy. But if you want precision go bolt action.
Old 05-17-2019, 9:16 PM

My 581, or is it 582? Too lazy to go look right now. Anyway it's my designated shtf rifle. I don't foresee that happening but until if and when it does I'm going to have some fun with my other toys too in the meantime.
Old 05-18-2019, 4:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Told ya people would say complain about the accuracy. But if you want precision go bolt action.
Accuracy, and I’ll also complain about the sorry proprietary magazines and rudimentary sights.
Old 05-18-2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
I've had two in my life, but sold both because I needed money.

If you do get a Mini-14, I recommend getting a trigger job from Brimstone Gunsmithing.
http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/mini-trigger-work/
Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
The mini-14...America's AK. The same folks who fawn over an AK and its 4-6" groups @ 100 yds have apoplexy at the thought of a Mini-14 doing the same if not better.

My 185 will shoot 62 and 68 gr .223 rounds at 3" @ 100 yds with irons no problem.
Quote:
That is indeed a keeper. If Rugger could consistently build that kind of a Mini me the shooting public would be all over it.
You got a winner.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
I picked up mine back last century actually. So it's had a lot of work done to it before I bought it. Those were the days when AR's were pretty much nonexistent to the public. AKs were the "enemies gun", and everyone wanted a Mac 10. The trigger on mine is really light, it had the pencil barrel so it would heat up. At that time stabilizers were expensive (but no longer). I hate neutered ARs and AK, some can live with the fact they can only get a crippled gun.

People need to understand back stories otherwise they make stupid generalizations.
Old 05-18-2019, 9:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'd buy one if they were accurate. I like the set up.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Buddy shot his ranch rifle in FS practical rifle, shot like a champ. Buddy and instructor kept joking about how people say not accurate as he was punching out head box from 35 yards.

Now that I know better, I'm thinking I might need to get one.

PM me for your FrontSight needs.

WTB: Sig 220 Legion
Old 05-18-2019, 11:57 AM

Location: Kabul, Bangkock, Amman, in-the air most of the time.
Default Price to value ratio is off.

Ruger Firearms have always been known as a a good value. The Min-14 has never been an accurate performer, but accurate enough for the intended purpose, and for the PRICE.

However, the price of the Mini-14 has climbed to the point that the Price to Value Ratio makes buyers take pause. It's too expensive for what it is. We are experiencing AR type rifles in the $500.00 range with quality magazines @ $10-$15.00.

I suspect that Ruger was banking on the fact that the Min-14 is featureless, and this would carry them. They might be right.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishootforblood View Post
However, the price of the Mini-14 has climbed to the point that the Price to Value Ratio makes buyers take pause. It's too expensive for what it is. We are experiencing AR type rifles in the $500.00 range with quality magazines @ $10-$15.00.
Heavy competition between manufacturers, high volumes, and many 3rd party component suppliers have driven down the price of basic ARs to crazy levels. It's probably unreasonable to expect Mini14s to be able to match that price range.

Heck, a WASR is a $700 rifle these days.

-- Michael
Old 05-18-2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:

I'm not a Rugger hater. I just call them like I see them.
I'll echo that. Buy or build an AR for a little more OR a little less.
Old 05-18-2019, 2:19 PM

Jimi Jah
I'd buy one if they were accurate.

what does that even mean and what is your definition of accurate? You talk as if it's a 10 MOA rifle. any rifle that can shoot consistently at 2 to 300 yards is more than accurate enough unless you're shooting precision bench. I would love to hear your definition of what an accurate rifle is.
Old 05-18-2019, 4:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

As good as an off the shelf AR is good enough. A $350 Rem 783 .223 easily beats it. I don't like wasting ammo for target shooting. That's why I have an AR-47 rather than an AK.
Old 05-18-2019, 5:22 PM

I've wanted one for over 6 yrs but for some reason I just feel that for what they are they cost too much. I really like them just can't see paying $800 or more for one.
Old 05-18-2019, 5:23 PM

Buddy was ringing steel silhouette at 200 yards with red dot, no scope. Mini14 is GTG and I would buy one without hesitation. Accuracy is fine for self defense, punching holes or ringing steel.

PM me for your FrontSight needs.

WTB: Sig 220 Legion
Old 05-18-2019, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

2-300 yards just isn’t good enough. Not for me it ain’t. A good many of them will not ring that steel every time you squeeze the trigger either. Even a halfway decent AR can do it hundreds of yards further with astonishing ease. No floated barrel, no optic, just a sling.
Old 05-18-2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishootforblood View Post
Ruger Firearms have always been known as a a good value. The Min-14 has never been an accurate performer, but accurate enough for the intended purpose, and for the PRICE.

I suspect that Ruger was banking on the fact that the Min-14 is featureless, and this would carry them. They might be right.
Points are valid if you live in a Free State, your last sentence sums it up.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't worry scro!" - Dr. Lexus
Old 05-18-2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingransom View Post
Jimi Jah
I'd buy one if they were accurate.

what does that even mean and what is your definition of accurate? You talk as if it's a 10 MOA rifle. any rifle that can shoot consistently at 2 to 300 yards is more than accurate enough unless you're shooting precision bench. I would love to hear your definition of what an accurate rifle is.
I break clay pigeons at 100 yards all day long with my 186 pencil barrelMini and that is using iron sights. It will whack the 12" 200 yard gong every time, also.. I have an AR15, but prefer the Mini-14.
Old 05-18-2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
2-300 yards just isn’t good enough. Not for me it ain’t. A good many of them will not ring that steel every time you squeeze the trigger either. Even a halfway decent AR can do it hundreds of yards further with astonishing ease. No floated barrel, no optic, just a sling.
LOL Im 67 and cant see past 300 yards (but do whack the 12" 200 yard gong with the Mini). My 186 (which has a 1/7 twist barrel) does 1.6-1.7 MOA with MK262 MOD1 77s. My AR15 is only slightly better with the same ammo.
Old 05-18-2019, 6:15 PM

Best all around ranch rifle. I’ve had one for years and years. 223 Lots of fun to shoot. Easy to clean and Very reliable.