Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Default Opinions on a 6.5 creed bolt gun

Hello all,

I know theres a few other active threads talking about 6.5 creedmoor bolt guns, but I am looking for opinions on a first 6.5 to buy. I've been eyeballing getting a Bergara LRP. I have a HMR in 308 and really like it. I am looking more at a chassis rifle for adjustability. One thing I would like is being able to us AICS mags instead of brand proprietary mags. My plan is to use the rifle for bench shooting and maybe some PRS down the road. I would like to keep the rifle under 2000 dollars. I have a Vortex PST Gen 2 waiting to mounted on any rifle I get.

Thanks for looking.

John

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2019, 11:55 AM

RPR. Extremely accurate right out of the box. Can be had for 1200 and comes with folding stock. Folding stock is one of those things you think you never care about till you do.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I love these threads where we get to spend other people's money.

If you like the LRP, no reason you shouldn't get it. You might even be able to get the Elite, it's about $1900 online. The only issue that I've heard of is some people have trouble with the sliding plate extractor.

Lucky for you there are lots of chassis rifles out there now, and most of them take AICS magazines.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
The only issue that I've heard of is some people have trouble with the sliding plate extractor.
Funny you should say that. I broke my extractor on my HMR. But I've never had problems with it working as far as brass not extracting. I contacted Bergara and they sent me a new one for free. Another reason I'm leaning towards the LRP is because of Bergara's customer service. Where have you seen the LRP Elite online for 1900??

Last edited by jwfire25; 05-05-2019 at 12:58 PM..
Old 05-05-2019, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.highbyoutdoors.com/Firea...rc=gun.deals55
Old 05-05-2019, 1:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would suggest looking for a long range or precision shooting group near you.

Everything around 6.5 creedmore is not inexpensive. Cry once - and hopefully only buy once.

Lots of folks punch paper with different rigs. Most are open to having someone join them, discuss gear, loads, brass, primers, primer depth, pocket uniformity, bases, rings, optics on and on

I have helped friends buy pistols. I bring mine and they also rent. Teach them about trigger prep, trigger reset- help them feel different things.

Do you have giant hands where you want either a large palm swell or to be a long way from the trigger? Small hands where the opposite is true

A skinny face or a round face where the comb gives you perfect alignment with the optics

A big flat forend for rests or anything that holds a great bipod

Where are you located? We might be able to point you to a match or group in your area

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-05-2019, 2:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Video review of the LRP:

Old 05-05-2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks! But unfortunately its mislabeled. That is just the regular LRP. Not the elite version.

Old 05-05-2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I would suggest looking for a long range or precision shooting group near you.

Everything around 6.5 creedmore is not inexpensive. Cry once - and hopefully only buy once.

Lots of folks punch paper with different rigs. Most are open to having someone join them, discuss gear, loads, brass, primers, primer depth, pocket uniformity, bases, rings, optics on and on

I have helped friends buy pistols. I bring mine and they also rent. Teach them about trigger prep, trigger reset- help them feel different things.

Do you have giant hands where you want either a large palm swell or to be a long way from the trigger? Small hands where the opposite is true

A skinny face or a round face where the comb gives you perfect alignment with the optics

A big flat forend for rests or anything that holds a great bipod

Where are you located? We might be able to point you to a match or group in your area
That's why I want a chassis gun for adjustability. I live in Visalia just south of Fresno. So coalinga and Avenal gun clubs are nearby. I am a member at Avenal so I would be able to meet up a day they have a long range competition. If they still hold them there. I know coalinga does for sure

Old 05-05-2019, 2:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So I've been thinking about the differences between a "chassis" bolt action and an AR
-10 with a Uintah upper setup.

The Uintah setup has a three lug bolt that connects to a proprietary barrel extension - in fact it looks very similar to the RPR bolt lockup. Seems like with all of the bolt actions chassis setups trying to be as flexible as an AR it just makes sense to look at the Uintah as a viable alternative.

BTW, I am not affiliated or connected to Uintah in any way...
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." - Josef Stalin
Old 05-05-2019, 3:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscoduc View Post
So I've been thinking about the differences between a "chassis" bolt action and an AR
-10 with a Uintah upper setup.

The Uintah setup has a three lug bolt that connects to a proprietary barrel extension - in fact it looks very similar to the RPR bolt lockup. Seems like with all of the bolt actions chassis setups trying to be as flexible as an AR it just makes sense to look at the Uintah as a viable alternative.

BTW, I am not affiliated or connected to Uintah in any way...
The swinging hammer of an AR type is WAY slower than the striker in a proper bolt rifle.
Even amongst bolt rifles, there is quite a bit of difference in lock time between the old milsurps and a 700 type.
Then you have the dramatic lack of camming power in the autoloader design vs a proper turnbolt with it's ~2.5" long bolt handle.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 05-05-2019, 3:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The swinging hammer of an AR type is WAY slower than the striker in a proper bolt rifle.

Even amongst bolt rifles, there is quite a bit of difference in lock time between the old milsurps and a 700 type.

Then you have the dramatic lack of camming power in the autoloader design vs a proper turnbolt with it's ~2.5" long bolt handle.
Not sure I follow... Does having a slower hammer affect accuracy? I believe the Uintah has a long bolt handle as well...
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." - Josef Stalin
Old 05-05-2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
RPR. Extremely accurate right out of the box. Can be had for 1200 and comes with folding stock. Folding stock is one of those things you think you never care about till you do.
And among all of the different adjustable features that the RPR provides your able to use 2 different style mags,if needed. Not that you may ever need to, but how many other PRS rifles offer that option ?
Old 05-05-2019, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

I honestly would look into getting a rifle built. You already have a precision style rifle right now, being you want to get into PRS, your going to end up changing stuff on a factory rifle anyways.

-Rem 700 action $400 or a Gunwerks Action is $800
-Timney or Trigger Tech trigger $120
-barrel will run you $350-$400
-KRG Bravo chassis $350
-Ross Schuler Muzzle brake, $30

Drive down to Van Nuys and have Randall (user ar15barrels) build it for you in one day. From your area, it’s only like a 4 hour drive. You can have everything put together by him and come in right at or under your budget.

Your trigger will be better than a factory one. You can have a heavier barrel than most factory rifles. You’ll have a chassis system that takes AICS Magpul mags. You’ll have a rig setup to run PRS, or any other long range combo you want.
Old 05-05-2019, 4:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There is a third version Ruger RPR in 6.5 creedmoor..
It has a nitride bolt and a third generation handguard.
It's called a Enhanced version.
Old 05-05-2019, 4:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Not sure I follow... Does having a slower hammer affect accuracy? I believe the Uintah has a long bolt handle as well...
Yes.
The bolt handle fixes the camming power, but does nothing for lock time.

Also, that upper costs more than a complete RPR. and will not work with AICS mags because there are no AR lowers that accept AICS mags.
Fail on so many levels.

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 05-05-2019, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes.
The bolt handle fixes the camming power, but does nothing for lock time.

Also, that upper costs more than a complete RPR. and will not work with AICS mags because there are no AR lowers that accept AICS mags.
Fail on so many levels.
Genuinely interested... Any chance you could elaborate on the lock time issue? And as for the price, yes it is a little steep though it works great if you have an existing AR lower that you have setup...

Old 05-05-2019, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfire25 View Post
Thanks! But unfortunately its mislabeled. That is just the regular LRP. Not the elite version.

Those bastids!

Actually, the Elite has been discontinued. You still get the Premier action. They have apparently made some changes in their product line and confused their retailers. Even that link I gave you describes two different triggers on the same gun. Such is the risk of buying online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
I honestly would look into getting a rifle built. You already have a precision style rifle right now, being you want to get into PRS, your going to end up changing stuff on a factory rifle anyways.

-Rem 700 action $400 or a Gunwerks Action is $800
-Timney or Trigger Tech trigger $120
-barrel will run you $350-$400
-KRG Bravo chassis $350
-Ross Schuler Muzzle brake, $30

Drive down to Van Nuys and have Randall (user ar15barrels) build it for you in one day. From your area, it’s only like a 4 hour drive. You can have everything put together by him and come in right at or under your budget.

Your trigger will be better than a factory one. You can have a heavier barrel than most factory rifles. You’ll have a chassis system that takes AICS Magpul mags. You’ll have a rig setup to run PRS, or any other long range combo you want.
That setup may not be any better than the Bergara LRP, especially with that budget chassis.
Old 05-05-2019, 9:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Genuinely interested... Any chance you could elaborate on the lock time issue? And as for the price, yes it is a little steep though it works great if you have an existing AR lower that you have setup...
So a little home work and I now understand that lock time is:

"... the time between when the trigger sear breaks, releasing the striker, until the bullet leaves the barrel and so the shooters/ gun's movements no longer have any effect on trajectory."

With this in mind if someone planned to use the Uintah upper on an AR lower for a bench rest rifle then I wouldn't think that lock time would make that much difference. For a hunting rifle then yes it would make a difference...

So aside from the lock time concern, cost is the real issue. Is a complete match grade bolt action upper worth the price they are asking... That's what I've been scratching my head about...

Old 05-05-2019, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Actually, in this price range I like the Tikka Tac A1, about $1600. Except it doesn't use the AICS magazine. The truth is, you don't need 50 magazines like with an AR, a handful will be plenty.

Also, $2000 is the limit for the new PRS Production division, so there are a lot of good values at exactly $2000 (retail).

You also have to be careful about "just a couple hundred more" that starts you down the rabbit hole, and makes you start looking at stuff like this, only $2150:
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=123290
Old 05-05-2019, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So a little home work and I now understand that lock time is:

"... the time between when the trigger sear breaks, releasing the striker, until the bullet leaves the barrel and so the shooters/ gun's movements no longer have any effect on trajectory."

With this in mind if someone planned to use the Uintah upper on an AR lower for a bench rest rifle then I wouldn't think that lock time would make that much difference. For a hunting rifle then yes it would make a difference...

So aside from the lock time concern, cost is the real issue. Is a complete match grade bolt action upper worth the price they are asking... That's what I've been scratching my head about...
Also, an AR trigger won't be as good as a 1 pound TriggerTech or Timney.

Remember you need a .308 AR lower and stock.
Old 05-05-2019, 9:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Slow lock time gives more time for the rifle to move between when you pull the trigger and when the bullet actually leaves the barrel.
Gun movement during this time changes where the bullet impacts compared to where it was intended to impact.

One would be money ahead by selling off the extra lower, NOT buying the lunitard upper and then just buying an RPR.
One would also end up with a better rifle overall.

Old 05-05-2019, 9:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You can buy a whole RIFLE, with better features for what they are asking for the upper that gives you a lesser rifle in the end.
It's really a no-brainer.

Old 05-08-2019, 3:26 AM

Just going to throw Howa 1500 out there as an option for the action. MDT has at least a couple compatible stocks, though sadly the TAC-21 is not avaliable in Howa (yet? *crossed fingers *). They do make for Remington 700, Tikka, and Savage. I've also heard good things about the Surgeon action for Rem 700, and with that action you get a lot of options for aftermarket parts. I have a 6.5CM Howa HCR in jail right now (gets out on Friday ), and while it's a bit below the $2000 pricetag, with a sub moa guarantee I'm not worried. I haven't seen anyone complaining about it, with the reception of the hard buttpad (and Luth-ar makes a replacement).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 05-08-2019, 8:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdc View Post
MDT has at least a couple compatible stocks, though sadly the TAC-21 is not avaliable in Howa (yet? *crossed fingers *).
Howa is a flat bottomed action with steps.
The Tac21 is not likely to be offered for any flat bottom action.
Remington, Tikka and Savage are round bottom actions.
The Tac21 has a round hole all the way through the chassis that the action slips into.
It's more difficult to make a non-round hole so they are unlikely to want to change their manufacturing methods to do that.

Old 05-08-2019, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Howa is a flat bottomed action with steps.
The Tac21 is not likely to be offered for any flat bottom action.
Remington, Tikka and Savage are round bottom actions.
The Tac21 has a round hole all the way through the chassis that the action slips into.
It's more difficult to make a non-round hole so they are unlikely to want to change their manufacturing methods to do that.

Awww. Oh well. My partner has a Savage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 05-08-2019, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hello all,

I know theres a few other active threads talking about 6.5 creedmoor bolt guns, but I am looking for opinions on a first 6.5 to buy. I've been eyeballing getting a Bergara LRP. I have a HMR in 308 and really like it. I am looking more at a chassis rifle for adjustability. One thing I would like is being able to us AICS mags instead of brand proprietary mags. My plan is to use the rifle for bench shooting and maybe some PRS down the road. I would like to keep the rifle under 2000 dollars. I have a Vortex PST Gen 2 waiting to mounted on any rifle I get.

Thanks for looking.

John

I'd buy another HMR in 6.5 and then buy whatever R700 chassis you like best.
Old 05-08-2019, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Why not rechamber the HMR to 6.5 and add a chassis?
Old 05-08-2019, 9:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Probably does not want his gun to be that accurate.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Another cheaper alternative is the BMP. It's essentially the HMR in a chassis.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
I would also like to have a 308. Plus If i get another Bergara I want to have the premier action

Old 05-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Another cheaper alternative is the BMP. It's essentially the HMR in a chassis.
I've been looking at that as well. But I think I would like the premier action. Not to sure on how much a performance edge there would be

Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I think I would like the premier action.
Not to sure on how much a performance edge there would be
Almost none.
The action dies not contribute much to accuracy/precision if that's what you are gauging the performance by.
The barrel quality and machining is the most important, followed by the stock and trigger and scope and mounts.
Action is behind all of those in priority with regards to effect on accuracy/precision.

A $200 action with a $350 barrel normally outshoots a $500 (or more) action with a $50 barrel.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 05-08-2019 at 11:13 AM..
Old 05-16-2019, 10:24 AM

Go with the Bergara LRP Elite. Or within your budget you could put a much better PR barrel on an RPR.

FWIW, I volunteer as an RO at my local range. I consider myself a firearms guy and I personally had no idea of who these folks were.

I've seen a couple of folks shooting LRP's over the last 1.5yrs. On two separate occasions I saw a couple of otherwise unfocused and quasi- sloppy shooters (I'm just learning LR shooting so I'm one too) with some 'uncharacteristically, and frankly impressive groups. That, was how I learned who Bergara was.

Looked like nice workmanship too.

As someone once said; 'you're only as good as your tools'.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Calguns Addict

As luck would have it, I found an unfired LEFT Hand ARC Nucleus action with a PVA 6.5 creed barrel from a private seller. I started DROS on it yesterday.

One is none two is one and all that. Still want a 308 when the Bergara B14 HMR in left hand come out.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
Go with the Bergara LRP Elite. Or within your budget you could put a much better PR barrel on an RPR.

FWIW, I volunteer as an RO at my local range. I consider myself a firearms guy and I personally had no idea of who these folks were.

I've seen a couple of folks shooting LRP's over the last 1.5yrs. On two separate occasions I saw a couple of otherwise unfocused and quasi- sloppy shooters (I'm just learning LR shooting so I'm one too) with some 'uncharacteristically, and frankly impressive groups. That, was how I learned who Bergara was.

Looked like nice workmanship too.

As someone once said; 'you're only as good as your tools'.

Awesome thank you for you experience. I guess I'm trying to get talked over the edge lol. Since I haven't heard to many personal experiences with this rifle

Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

I'm a little late to the thread but the Bergara is a nice gun, I've got a RPR in 6.5 with a Viper PST scope and it's as accurate as I've ever shot. I can shoot a 12" plate at 1200 yards using my strelok app no problem, its one hell of a gun

WTB
P10F**
P10S**

Last edited by etwinam; 05-16-2019 at 2:11 PM..
Old 05-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

I would say a rifle that shoots almost 7 miles with that accuracy would be considered the best rifle in the world.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I would say a rifle that shoots almost 7 miles with that accuracy would be considered the best rifle in the world.
Hahaha

Old 05-16-2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
As luck would have it, I found an unfired LEFT Hand ARC Nucleus action with a PVA 6.5 creed barrel from a private seller. I started DROS on it yesterday.

One is none two is one and all that. Still want a 308 when the Bergara B14 HMR in left hand come out.
That is lucky, since PVA takes over a year to screw a barrel on.