Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 05-10-2019, 6:23 PM

Default converting a right-hand bolt-action to left

i want to save some money and buy a nice Remington 700 right hand model (which i plan to use for 6 months or so. after which i want to drop it into a magpul precision rifle chassis bc i'm a lefty

i know that some parts are going to be different.....i just don't know what parts internal parts i would have to replace and what parts are identical.

i tried looking at schematics but it is hard to see.
does anyone know off hand what parts i would have to swap from right hand to left hand.

actually if someone could point me in a direction to replace everything from front to back......all ready made/milled/ and adjusted.......so i could just put that into the magpul chasis.

comments and advice are welcome!!!
TIA
Old 05-10-2019, 6:30 PM

Turn it upside down. Just find a left handed rifle.
Old 05-10-2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorideInMyWater View Post
i want to save some money and buy a nice Remington 700 right hand model (which i plan to use for 6 months or so. after which i want to drop it into a magpul precision rifle chassis bc i'm a lefty

i know that some parts are going to be different.....i just don't know what parts internal parts i would have to replace and what parts are identical.

does anyone know off hand what parts i would have to swap from right hand to left hand.

actually if someone could point me in a direction to replace everything from front to back......all ready made/milled/ and adjusted.......so i could just put that into the magpul chasis.

TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferds View Post
Turn it upside down. Just find a left handed rifle.
Buy what you want the first time.

That is the way to "save money" and end up with exactly what you want.

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Old 05-10-2019, 7:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You can convert a right handed bolt to left handed all it takes is a new bolt, a mill and about 20 years of gun smithing experience.

There are lefty rifles available, buy three or four. They will be cheaper than converting a righty.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 05-10-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
You can convert a right handed bolt to left handed all it takes is a new bolt, a mill and about 20 years of gun smithing experience.

There are lefty rifles available, buy three or four. They will be cheaper than converting a righty.
u funny, but right.

i'm trying to choose between a ruger, savage or remington in .308. would love a bigger round. .300, .338, but they are just waaaay to expensive.

i've been told to get remington first but they only have 3 models, unless i go for full custon which starts @ 3K. my budget is 2K (not including a scope), then look at savage which has a few more long distance rifles (i'm looking for a long range target rifle. want to be able to hit 1400 yards....an then ruger last......

if anyone has a suggest on an alternate rifle im all eyes!
thanks!
Old 05-11-2019, 3:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
u funny, but right.

i'm trying to choose between a ruger, savage or remington in .308. would love a bigger round. .300, .338, but they are just waaaay to expensive.

i've been told to get remington first but they only have 3 models, unless i go for full custon which starts @ 3K. my budget is 2K (not including a scope), then look at savage which has a few more long distance rifles (i'm looking for a long range target rifle. want to be able to hit 1400 yards....an then ruger last......

if anyone has a suggest on an alternate rifle im all eyes!
thanks!

What you need to do is

1. Buy a left handed rifle or action, caliber don't matter as you are going to change it anyway.

2. Buy a barrel and have it fit to your action chambered in the caliber you desire.

3. Install a trigger,. drop it in a chassis

4. bolt on your scope

5. Spend the next five years learning how to make precision reloads

6. Spend the same five years learning the fundamentals of marksmanship to be able to print one hole five shot groups @ 100 yards.

7. Spend the same five years learning to read the wind

Then and only then can consistent hits be made at 1400 yards.

By the way your budget is about half of what it will eventually cost to get to 1400 yards

Brownell's is out of stock right now but they have left hand long and shot actions for under $500
Barrels can be had for $300 plus install
Triggers are off the shelf $150 and up.
Old 05-11-2019, 3:37 AM

would something like this work for you?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/41902
Old 05-11-2019, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You would also have to get lucky if the left handed parts you buy will headspace correctly.

Just buy a left handed rifle.
Old 05-11-2019, 9:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Plenty of left handed Remingtons.
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=remington 700 left hand

Might be easier buying a left handed action. Depending on your location if there is a gunsmith handy.

Savage BA Stealth comes in left hand. If you price around. Will go for under $1000.

Last edited by baih777; 05-11-2019 at 9:48 AM..
Old 05-11-2019, 3:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

TIA
Parts that are different on a left hand vs right hand 700:
Receiver
Bolt
trigger
stock
bolt stop spring

Parts in common:
Barrel
recoil lug
striker assembly
extractor
ejector
ejector spring
trigger pin
bolt stop pin
bolt stop
action screws
bottom metal
magazine box
magazine follower
magazine spring

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC

Last edited by ar15barrels; 05-11-2019 at 4:01 PM..
Old 05-16-2019, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
Plenty of left handed Remingtons.
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=remington 700 left hand

Might be easier buying a left handed action. Depending on your location if there is a gunsmith handy.

Savage BA Stealth comes in left hand. If you price around. Will go for under $1000.
i was going to budget about $1500 for the rifle, because i have to have $$$ for a decent scope. seems that the scopes are more than the rifles themselves.

yes, i've been looking at the tikka rifles and i've read some good things about them......very accurate and smooth action. i don't know how they compare to the savage rifles.

type of ammo is probably going to make the decision to some extent. i don't know how far out a .308 will reach. i know that i probably should be looking at .338 lapua but those are costly. definitly would need to 50 rounds and then start reloading immediately.

but given the fact that i'm a noob to long distance, i'm wondering if i should just buy a production mid range tikka or savage and a cheaper scope in order to hone my skillset before i start spending thousands of dollars.....who knows...i might hate it. i doubt it, but getting something in 308 for starters is probably a good idea. i would just need a scope that is under $600.
any suggestions on a model? i know nothing about them except for you are supposed to look thru them.........unless carlos hathcock is on the other end....lol.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

i'm looking for a long range target rifle. want to be able to hit 1400 yards.
Quote:
i know that i probably should be looking at .338 lapua but those are costly.
Buy a heavy barreled Remington 700 in 308.
Take a class or get some actual instruction from someone who actually knows what they are doing, not just some guy who says he can help.
After you get good at 1000yds and closer, rebarrel it to a 6.5 Creedmoor.
That will get you to 1400yds with much less recoil and costs than the big magnums.
A big magnum is a HORRIBLE gun to learn longrange with.
You want something that's comfortable to shoot for 40-60 rounds a day when you are learning and practicing and magnums don't fit that requirement.
308 is probably the best cartridge to learn with because it has just enough recoil to make you learn how to get a proper position behind the rifle, but not so much recoil (with a muzzle brake) that you get bothered by the recoil after 40-60 rounds in a day.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC

Last edited by ar15barrels; 05-16-2019 at 11:31 AM..
Old 05-21-2019, 4:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

but given the fact that i'm a noob to long distance, i'm wondering if i should just buy a production mid range tikka or savage and a cheaper scope in order to hone my skillset before i start spending thousands of dollars.....who knows...i might hate it. i doubt it, but getting something in 308 for starters is probably a good idea. i would just need a scope that is under $600.
any suggestions on a model? i know nothing about them except for you are supposed to look thru them.........unless carlos hathcock is on the other end....lol.

that's about the smartest thing you've said yet.

you can't buy skills but you can buy a decent rifle and spend the time developing skills
Old 05-22-2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Perhaps others can comment on the suitability, but perhaps you can consider getting a cheaper *fixed* magnification scope, like an SWFA SS10x42 that has the side mount parallax adjuster. $300 list but I see them in the classifieds for $200 or less every once in a while. There's also a $700 list HD glass version, which you might be able to find used for under the $600 budget you mention.

Might tide you over while you save up for some bad mambajamba of a variable power optic with all the bells and whistles.