Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2019, 7:02 AM

Default Safe areas of Sacramento

My son and his girlfriend are looking to move to Sacramento.

I'm not familiar at all with the area and am looking for suggestions on parts of town they should avoid.

They are young and looking for a one bedroom apartment that is reasonably priced. He hasn't told me his price range, but I'm certain they are looking for the most affordable they can get to start out.

We have family in Dixon, just about 20 miles west of Sac, but that area is not within their price range if that's an indication of what they're looking for.

I'd appreciate any info I can forward to him. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
My son and his girlfriend are looking to move to Sacramento.

I'm not familiar at all with the area and am looking for suggestions on parts of town they should avoid.

They are young and looking for a one bedroom apartment that is reasonably priced. He hasn't told me his price range, but I'm certain they are looking for the most affordable they can get to start out.

We have family in Dixon, just about 20 miles west of Sac, but that area is not within their price range if that's an indication of what they're looking for.

I'd appreciate any info I can forward to him. Thanks.
First, what will they be doing in Sacramento? In what area. The commutes up here can be a real problem, as different routes take you across one of only four bridges. And everybody else is using them.

Generally, avoid Meadowview, Lemon Hill, most of South Sac.
Old 05-14-2019, 2:02 PM
Veteran Member

Price range will help. The more east you get towards Folsom, generally the better it will be.

Natomas is also Sacramento City, so I'd stay out of there also. Just out of the city itself is recommended. South towards Elk Grove has gone to poop as well.
Old 05-14-2019, 4:25 PM

IMO, anything south of hiway 50 is questionable until you get to Elk Grove. The further east you go the more expensive it gets. Folsom is very nice but rather expensive. El Dorado hills is also very nice but about the same expense as Folsom. Forget going west to Davis, that's more expensive than Folsom.

Sorry to be a downer but nice places in and around Sacramento are not cheap.
Old 05-14-2019, 5:19 PM
Calguns Addict

FIL lived in Sac. We found it an interesting area. Where most cities have a "wrong side of the tracks" Sac seemed to have small bad neighborhoods mixed randomly throughout all the nice areas.
Old 05-14-2019, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

Avoid:
Meadowview
Oak Park
Lemon Hill
Franklin Blvd
North Sac (El Camino and northgate area)
Del Paso Heights
Strawberry Manor
Old 05-14-2019, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.cityofsacramento.org/Pol...nity-Crime-Map
Old 05-14-2019, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
First, what will they be doing in Sacramento? In what area. The commutes up here can be a real problem, as different routes take you across one of only four bridges. And everybody else is using them.

Generally, avoid Meadowview, Lemon Hill, most of South Sac.
Greenhaven, Pocket and Land Park are ok.

Good questions - what are they doing in Sac? Work, school or both?
Old 05-14-2019, 7:19 PM

Depends on what they want to spend south sac is usually not a good area and there is affordable places to live near arc but there is a lot of homeless people and drug users around, sac county isn’t the best usually if you can find something reasonably priced in placer county I would go there, they actually take people to jail for committing crimes instead of catch and release like sac county does
Old 05-14-2019, 9:01 PM

I lived in Woodland for 16 years and found it to be a reasonable alternative to Sacramento proper.
Joshua 24:15.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 PM

Roseville and Rocklin are good neighborhoods but 20 miles out of SAC.
Old 05-15-2019, 7:06 AM

Woodland seems like a nice town with easy access to Sacramento and the Airport, good location.

but there are probably a lot of ghetto people that also live in the area

your going to have to go at least 20 - 30 miles out to find something cheaper

Last edited by omega; 05-15-2019 at 7:08 AM..
Old 05-15-2019, 7:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Jeez. Kali is really getting crappy when you have to live 20 miles outside of Sacramento to get away from the high crime areas

Old 05-15-2019, 7:53 AM

I think the 20 mile recommendation is about affordability rather than high crime area.
Old 05-15-2019, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Again, one needs to know what the purpose of coming to Sacramento is. If they intend to work/go to school on the east side, then Woodland sucks for a commute, both ways.

Rocklin and Roseville are 1.5 hr commutes to central Sac, but there are a couple of very good colleges up there.

Downtown Sac has some older, small apartment buildings that are reasonable and within walking distance of mid-town activities, but they are old and parking is a challenge. West Sac is an option, but, you still have to cross the river to get to Sac.

South of the city, west of I-5 is an area known as “The Pocket”. Older, settled area with housing and apartments; reasonable access to downtown.

Here’s a website for an apartment complex about which I personally know nothing.

CraigsList will also have listings.

So, why are they coming to Sac?
Old 05-15-2019, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
Jeez. Kali is really getting crappy when you have to live 20 miles outside of Sacramento to get away from the high crime areas
Sac has a downtown jail and Sheriff work camp and Folsom prison in its metropolitan area. When CA provides early release for criminals, guess where they wind up?

Plus, we have a bunch of politicians.

High crime is everywhere, remember? That’s why we have guns.
Old 05-15-2019, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

Sadly, Sacramento is becoming SFBAII. BA transplants have been moving to Sac for decades, but now they are coming in droves like a plague of locusts. Only a few years ago people in the SFBA would laugh about living in Sac like we were all a bunch of dumb rednecks. Well, with real estate so expensive now, Sacramento has become the fastest growing region for BA jobs and people to relocate to. Its driving up real estate and as a consequence rents have really gone through the roof. Lots of infill housing going in around downtown and midtown. Problem is no affordable housing is being built in any meaningful numbers, theres just no incentive while prices are so high and the economy doing so well.

Hope your son makes at least $90K a year, otherwise he'll be living pretty hand to mouth in some chithole with a lot of homeless people around and/or stuck in traffic, commuting.

In general pretty much all of midtown and downtown has homeless everywhere. South Sac, Natomas, Rio Linda, North Highlands, Watt is where you might get shot.

I lived in Elmhurst when I went to Sac State its about as good as it gets for Sac but probably more expensive since I lived there. There are some areas of Oak Park that arent too bad but the farther south you go the worse it gets. East Sac, Land Park, the Pocket might be ok.
Disclosure/Disclaimer: I do not coddle millennials or OFWGs. The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 05-15-2019 at 8:37 AM..
Old 05-15-2019, 4:35 PM

Thanks for all the input! I'll start going through them and share the info with my son.

Their current lease isn't up until September, so they plan on moving in October. He is planning to spend about a week up there sometime in July or August to scout the area out and I'm sure he'll find some good info to consider in this thread.
Old 05-15-2019, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
Thanks for all the input! I'll start going through them and share the info with my son.

Their current lease isn't up until September, so they plan on moving in October. He is planning to spend about a week up there sometime in July or August to scout the area out and I'm sure he'll find some good info to consider in this thread.
Maybe you could also ask him WHY IS HE COMING HERE?

That would help provide information....
Old 05-15-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Maybe you could also ask him WHY IS HE COMING HERE?

That would help provide information....
LOL! He's young.

Born and raised in southern California and tired of it, wants a new experience somewhere further north. No specific reason for choosing Sacramento, other than it is more affordable than the Bay Area. He's wanted to leave SoCal for a while and finally decided to do it when their lease is up.

He owns his own business and works from home, will continue to do the same. I know he'll do well.

I'm just hoping to steer him away from the bad areas.

All replies are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:11 AM

West Sacramento has some very nice areas, just stay away from Broderick. There are some very new condos/apts on the WS side of the river less than 5 minutes from downtown Sac. Anywhere in the Southport area is nice too. Davis and Dixon are reasonably close (20 miles or less) and, being in Yolo or Solano County you have less Sacramento County BS to deal with.
Old 05-16-2019, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp700 View Post
West Sacramento has some very nice areas, just stay away from Broderick. There are some very new condos/apts on the WS side of the river less than 5 minutes from downtown Sac. Anywhere in the Southport area is nice too. Davis and Dixon are reasonably close (20 miles or less) and, being in Yolo or Solano County you have less Sacramento County BS to deal with.
No CCW in Yolo, if that matters.
Disclosure/Disclaimer: I do not coddle millennials or OFWGs. The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 05-16-2019, 8:10 AM

If he doesn't have to live in Sac, keep heading north.
Old 05-16-2019, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan21 View Post
If he doesn't have to live in Sac, keep heading north.
Yeah, like North all the way to a free state like Idaho or maybe East to Utah.

To OP:
If he's tired of SoCal why does he think NorCal will be any better? Why doesnt he try a different state and get a taste of freedom? He might really like it.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 05-16-2019 at 8:36 AM..
Old 05-16-2019, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
Yeah, like North all the way to a free state like Idaho or maybe East to Utah.

To OP:
If he's tired of SoCal why does he think NorCal will be any better? Why doesnt he try a different state and get a taste of freedom? He might really like it.

head north and drift east
Old 05-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Try Rancho Cordova or Fair Oaks. They're established areas.
Old 05-16-2019, 3:09 PM

Pocket is generally quiet, I lived there for about a half a year before moving in to a house at the south sac/elk grove border. If you have to be near downtown, I think it's pretty decent, but just realize you're right next to south sac, and thieves know to go to Pocket if they wanna steal nice stuff. That, and maybe it's just me, but the whole area had a sort of cemetary vibe, but no cemeteries were in the area. Just a weird creepy feeling.

After getting tired of hearing shootings every weekend in south sac, I moved to a super yuppie area between Rancho Cordova and Folsom called Gold River. Kind of similar to Pocket, but a bit more lively with more varied population and a little less eerie feeling
Old 05-16-2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfe187 View Post
Roseville and Rocklin are good neighborhoods but 20 miles out of SAC.
This has been mentioned twice and I’ll add a third vote.

Add in Folsom too.
Old 05-16-2019, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Nep,

Isn't Gold River an HOA community? I drove their once to help my neighbor drop off his kid and talk about a "gray" area. Everything looked identical like some sort of cult town movie.
Old 05-16-2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Try Rancho Cordova or Fair Oaks. They're established areas.
Rancho has not very good parts along Folsom blvd
Old 05-16-2019, 5:16 PM
Veteran Member

Even the "safe" areas in Sac and surrounding cities (Rancho, Roseville, Elk Grove, Folsom, etc.) are easy to access by the "bad" areas. There is still plenty of property crime in the region. The people in the "bad" areas spend all day driving and walking through the "safe" areas looking for unlocked doors, windows, garages... anything they can get in to.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 05-16-2019 at 5:28 PM..
Old 05-16-2019, 6:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No CCW in Yolo, if that matters.
That seems to be changing...new Sheriff in town.
Old 05-16-2019, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That seems to be changing...new Sheriff in town.
Yeah, no, its not changing, dont hold your breath. Ever heard of the city of Davis, CA? Yeah, as long as Davis is in Yolo County, there will never be CCW there.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 05-16-2019 at 6:33 PM..
Old 05-16-2019, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

If he doesn’t have to commute to work or school, I’d go up to the Roseville, Rocklin or Folsom area. If he doesn’t want to be around a lot of people, go past those areas (away from Sac) 15-20 mins.
Old 05-16-2019, 7:27 PM

Stay far away from North Highlands, and anywhere around Watt/80....
Old 05-16-2019, 7:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slo4u View Post
I lived in Woodland for 16 years and found it to be a reasonable alternative to Sacramento proper.
Here since 99, love it compared to Davis or Sac.
Old 05-16-2019, 8:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah, no, its not changing, dont hold your breath. Ever heard of the city of Davis, CA? Yeah, as long as Davis is in Yolo County, there will never be CCW there.
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...&postcount=260
Old 05-16-2019, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That means nothing since it looks like no one has been successful. As soon as the "community leadership" in Davis catch wind of this, it will be shut down STAT. Maybe a few business owners that run something like a jewelry store will get approved. But your average citizen that just wants to carry because "murica", well thats not going to fly in Yolo.

Im talking about "shall issue". Yolo is far from and probably never will be "shall issue" unless the entire state becomes "shall issue". Im not talking about permits for buddies and a close circle of insiders with connections, Im sure that goes on already.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 05-16-2019 at 10:13 PM..
Old 05-17-2019, 7:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That means nothing since it looks like no one has been successful. As soon as the "community leadership" in Davis catch wind of this, it will be shut down STAT. Maybe a few business owners that run something like a jewelry store will get approved. But your average citizen that just wants to carry because "murica", well thats not going to fly in Yolo.

Im talking about "shall issue". Yolo is far from and probably never will be "shall issue" unless the entire state becomes "shall issue". Im not talking about permits for buddies and a close circle of insiders with connections, Im sure that goes on already.
Dang, the glass is neither half-full nor half-empty...you don’t even have a glass.

Read the statute, this entire state is “may issue”; no area is “shall issue”, although some may have less egregious standards than others. Parsing the language doesn’t change the statutes.

Lopez only took office in January, after unseating Prieto (who reigned for 20 years and had a policy you describe). Counties with reasonable issuance programs in place take longer than 6 months to process an application. Give him a chance to fail.
Old 05-17-2019, 7:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dang, the glass is neither half-full nor half-empty...you don’t even have a glass.

Read the statute, this entire state is “may issue”; no area is “shall issue”, although some may have less egregious standards than others. Parsing the language doesn’t change the statutes.

Lopez only took office in January, after unseating Prieto (who reigned for 20 years and had a policy you describe). Counties with reasonable issuance programs in place take longer than 6 months to process an application. Give him a chance to fail.
I dont think you understand the politics of Yolo County. It is heavily Democratic probably due to the city of Davis which is extreme yuppy left leaning. Its like a suburban Berkeley. Even if the Sheriff started issuing CCWs for no reason other than "I want one" (which it should be BTW) as soon as this becomes known by the "leaders" and residents of Davis it will cause an uproar. We are talking about the city where the mayor and city council harrassed the police department into returning a free MRAP. Absolutely no way they arent going to raise a ruckus about the sheriff isuing permits to everyday citizens. Hell, pretty much half of Davis is a "gun free zone". Not to mention the mayor of West Sac is an openly gay extreme leftist, even went to the border to "protest" child detentions. Yeah no, CCW in Yolo is a pipe dream.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 05-17-2019 at 7:56 AM..