Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-16-2017, 4:18 PM

Default Thoughts on reproduction M1 Carbines

Hi all,
I'm looking to buy and tacticalize an M1 Carbine, but don't want to butcher anything that has any historical value. My question to those who have experience with repro M1 Carbines: what do you like/dislike about Universal vs. Inland Carbines? Are they worth the money?

Risingsun
Old 02-16-2017, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingsun212 View Post
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy and tacticalize an M1 Carbine, but don't want to butcher anything that has any historical value. My question to those who have experience with repro M1 Carbines: what do you like/dislike about Universal vs. Inland Carbines? Are they worth the money?

Risingsun
They are worth it if you can find one that is known to be reliable.

On the other hand, you may be better off with a 9mm carbine of you just want something for home defense. I use a Marlin Camp 9.

On the Motie hand, prices have gone up even for repro M1s, it may not be worthit at all if you are just looking for functionality.
Old 02-16-2017, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
They are worth it if you can find one that is known to be reliable.

On the other hand, you may be better off with a 9mm carbine of you just want something for home defense. I use a Marlin Camp 9.

On the Motie hand, prices have gone up even for repro M1s, it may not be worthit at all if you are just looking for functionality.
Chiappa makes an M1 9mm for 500 bucks
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 02-16-2017, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Chiappa makes an M1 9mm for 500 bucks
True. It has a spotty reputation. A lot of the parts are plastic.

That being said....I would try one if I had it.
Old 02-16-2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Risingsun
Old 02-16-2017, 4:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

eh they made 8 million of them go ahead what kind of irreversable things are you planning on doing ?

repro's are more hard to find in the wild than originals
sure you might run into a universal but its triggerguard is not compatable with any "for m1 carbine" stocks

i remember the IAI ones from 15 years ago but that company was poorly managed so they are gone now
Old 02-16-2017, 4:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

M1 carbines were plenty tactical for our soldiers to kill Nazis, Imperial Japanese and North Koreans.

What do you want to "improve"?

Collector rant over. If you're dead set on it buy a repro M1 for cheap or at the most a blue sky import barreled receiver or a D/T or otherwise mangled sporter.

I guess you could call the M3 carbine "tactical". It has a lot of stuff bolted and clamped to it.

Last edited by 81turbota; 02-16-2017 at 5:14 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81turbota View Post
M1 carbines were plenty tactical for our soldiers to kill Nazis, Imperial Japanese and North Koreans.

What do you want to "improve"?

Collector rant over. If you're dead set on it buy a repro M1 for cheap or at the most a blue sky import barreled receiver.
They still have barreled receivers? Can't find any carbines or mauser actions for that matter.
Old 02-16-2017, 5:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint67 View Post
They still have barreled receivers? Can't find any carbines or mauser actions for that matter.
They pop up occasionally on the CMP forums. You might get lucky and find a cheap sporterized carbine too. Most of those have been saved already but some have been D/T for scopes and bead sights added on. Those would be a prime candidate for the OP.

Here's M1 carbine receivers. One of the Plainfields would be a perfect one to start on. All other parts are easily attainable.
http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=168

Here's Czech 98 Mauser actions
http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetai...rod=RE2276%2DG

Last edited by 81turbota; 02-16-2017 at 5:34 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81turbota View Post
They pop up occasionally on the CMP forums. You might get lucky and find a cheap sporterized carbine too. Most of those have been saved already but some have been D/T for scopes and bead sights added on. Those would be a prime candidate for the OP.

Here's M1 carbine receivers. One of the Plainfields would be a perfect one to start on. All other parts are easily attainable.
http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=168

Here's Czech 98 Mauser actions
http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetai...rod=RE2276%2DG
Thanks, but no C&R account so I cant see pricing. Also the price of installing a barrel? yikes.
Old 02-16-2017, 6:52 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Where are you located OP? Barnwood Arms in Ripon has a Universal on their consignment rack. Priced at $499 if I recall.
Old 02-16-2017, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

From a logistical perspective I suggest you use a Mini 14 as a donor gun instead. Mini's are more plentiful, tactical stuff for minis are more plentiful, and 223 ammo is more plentiful.
Old 02-16-2017, 9:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I never seen an after-market military style 30 cal Carbine that functioned properly.

If someone says different ask them if they will refund all your purchase price money when it jams 1:10 times, or if they have a loaner for you while you wait for repair parts.

Oh sure, after-market ones work great for sure.
Old 02-16-2017, 9:59 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I can weigh in on this with some experience. My first M1 carbine was a really nice post war Iver Johnson. It looked good and functioned fine. I later sold it when I had a USGI version but I wish I had kept it.

I also bought what was represented as a James River Armory. Beautiful rifle. I owned it for a year as a safe queen. When I finally took it out something was clearly wrong with it. Lacking the skills or tools to work on it, I sold it to a private party (at a loss, with full disclosure of the issues it had.)

I have a couple very nice USGI carbines now (IBM and Saginaw) but I would definitely be open to buying a post war copy if it ran right and the price was right. There really isn't a more fun milsurp to shoot than an M1 carbine. With good ammo and well tested for reliability, it would still make for a very good home or self defense weapon too.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Here's some good info on National Ordnance M1 Carbines.
If you can find one built from all GI surplus parts it will be no different than a "real" M1 carbine other than being a parts gun....which many arsenal refurbished real carbines are anyway.

There were a few more surplus builders back in the day, some good, some bad.
It's a fun search for one of these upcoming rainy days when you're stuck inside.

Playing around with some upgrades to one of these shouldn't bother anyone.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Every commercial one I've owned over the past 40 years has had a function problem. And nearly every gun magazine review of the latest permutation contains two lines. The first is "Company A really did it up right this time" followed not too long by "Company A assures us forthcoming models won't have these issues ...."

Sure.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hi all,

Risingsun
The early Universal Carbines were just as good as GI Carbines. They were built with their receiver and GI parts. Later Universals look like an M1 Carbine but parts wont interchange with GI carbines unless it's a later one that was made for LE.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 PM
Calguns Addict

dfletcher

If you make more posts like that we'll never sell these things.
Old 02-17-2017, 3:59 AM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

When the repro copies were in the $300 range ... they weren't worth that.
I doubt they are worth todays asking prices.
Granted , I know Joe's mom's cousins brothers girlfriends kids friends dad has one that runs great and is in operational service with the CBCITF Agency in a secret location serving the country and keeping us free ....... but you on the other hand have a high probability of having trouble with one.

Regardless if you are going to get one anyhow ... ask to shoot it a bit prior to money changing hands.
I have been told "NO" on a copy that was SAID to be a great firearm many of a time.
AND pay attention to how excited the seller gets the closer it gets to the deal being done.
Probably a good reason for that .... don't be that guy.

Last edited by WMG; 02-17-2017 at 4:02 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 6:33 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

There are problems with the new commercial "Inland" brand carbines.

I would stick with USGI. It is possible with the new President that the USGI M1 Carbines in South Korea might finally be approved for importation and hit the US market at reasonable prices.
Old 02-17-2017, 6:59 AM

I just looked at Gunbroker, many listed.
Old 02-17-2017, 8:10 AM

I've got one of the Chiappa M1 copies in 9mm that uses 92fs mags. It is true there is a lot of plastic on the rifle. I replaced the bayonet mount/handguard band with a metal G.I. one and refinished the stock. It looks great, and I've never had any problems with it.
Old 02-17-2017, 8:51 AM

I am probably the only guy happy with his crappy Universal carbine. Bought it used, along with the Ruger Blackhawk in the same caliber, in the early 90's, from a friend who was getting out of firearms. Probably spent maybe $125 on the rifle. I can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with either milsurp stuff from the 90's, or recently made Tula steel. Both seem to have the same POI also.

I am sure I must have had some sort of malfunction over the years, but nothing really sticks in my memory. It's just a fun rifle to play with.

I've found some interesting articles on Universal carbines on the internet, everything I've read indicates mine (serial number wise) is the worst of the entire series and it's a minor miracle the slide hasn't cracked. I wish I had such luck buying lottery tickets.

Registration is the first step towards confiscation.

I identify as Non-Bidenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
This is OT where we never let the facts get in the way of a salacious accusation. Especially when it includes the butt.
Old 02-17-2017, 3:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDave100 View Post
I am probably the only guy happy with his crappy Universal carbine. Bought it used, along with the Ruger Blackhawk in the same caliber, in the early 90's, from a friend who was getting out of firearms. Probably spent maybe $125 on the rifle. I can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with either milsurp stuff from the 90's, or recently made Tula steel. Both seem to have the same POI also.

I am sure I must have had some sort of malfunction over the years, but nothing really sticks in my memory. It's just a fun rifle to play with.

I've found some interesting articles on Universal carbines on the internet, everything I've read indicates mine (serial number wise) is the worst of the entire series and it's a minor miracle the slide hasn't cracked. I wish I had such luck buying lottery tickets.
Nope, there are two of us. I bought mine new back in 78 or 79. Works like a champ. I guess we both got lucky.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM

I definitely would avoid as you said, any permanent Bubba mods to a original. But most aftermarket Carbines were junk. Go to the CMP forum and you will find what good ones are out there as far aftermarket. But it is a very short list.

I personally would avoid every aftermarket Carbine. But you are the one spending the money. Good Luck
Old 02-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

They are awful and should be avoided in my opinion. I believe all WW2 american designs should be vintage only because of their forged manufacturing. The modern MIM cast stuff is just not military grade, it's just consumer crap.

That being said, most of the M1's don't shoot well anyway, including my original Rockola.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 02-17-2017, 3:07 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I almost bought a vintage USGI M1 Carbine at a gun show and it was cheap.

As I reached for my wallet, I noticed that some dumb former owner had his own name stamped on the receiver crest. I don't know who in the hell "Irwin Pederson" is, but I put it back on the table and bought a Universal M1 instead, already upgraded with the metal handguard.

WINNING!!
Old 02-17-2017, 3:26 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I almost bought a vintage USGI M1 Carbine at a gun show and it was cheap.

As I reached for my wallet, I noticed that some dumb former owner had his own name stamped on the receiver crest. I don't know who in the hell "Irwin Pederson" is, but I put it back on the table and bought a Universal M1 instead, already upgraded with the metal handguard.

WINNING!!
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 02-17-2017, 3:55 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post

!
He marked a lot of guns, I have seen some. Sick bastard.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 02-17-2017, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
He marked a lot of guns, I have seen some. Sick bastard.
Yeah, he autographed a bunch of the internals on my S'G'
Old 02-21-2017, 2:05 PM

A good web site with a lot of information on the commercial M1 Carbines is at

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbines.html

I own an early manufacture IAI M1 Carbine which is a mixture of USGI and commercial made parts. It was built by gunsmith in Texas who knew a lot about M1 Carbines. I have had no problems with my IAI M1 carbine and shoot it instead of my GI Quality Hardware M1 Carbine. If any of your respondents to this discussion have any brand of commercial M1 Carbine, they may find some good information about it and the company that built it at the above website.
Old 02-17-2017, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Would an un-quality carbine be good for a tactical make over?

Old 02-17-2017, 4:53 PM

Don't mess up an Un Quality. They're super rare and command beaucoup bucks when you find them. They are right next to the Irwin Pedersen on the rarity scale. I have one of Irwin's carbines. It will clean an SR target at 200 yards.
Jon
Old 02-17-2017, 5:00 PM

Thanks guys. I read somewhere that the repro universal carbines are actually more accurate than USGI. Some blame the malfunctions on bad magazines. Whatever the problem is, I think I will get a used mini 14 instead :-)

Risingsun
Old 02-17-2017, 5:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
Don't mess up an Un Quality. They're super rare and command beaucoup bucks when you find them. They are right next to the Irwin Pedersen on the rarity scale. I have one of Irwin's carbines. It will clean an SR target at 200 yards.
Jon
I was just joking. Why I put this

Quote:
Thanks guys. I read somewhere that the repro universal carbines are actually more accurate than USGI. Some blame the malfunctions on bad magazines. Whatever the problem is, I think I will get a used mini 14 instead :-)

Risingsun
Some probably are but not all Universals are equal. There was a stretch when they used micro groove barrels that are very accurate, but I don't know how long they used them. The Mini 14 is better for a tactical make over.
Old 02-17-2017, 6:22 PM
Banned

Has anyone tried the Auto Ordnance M1's yet? I saw one a few weeks ago, beautiful firearm, got my interest spiked....
Old 02-17-2017, 6:25 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post
Has anyone tried the Auto Ordnance M1's yet? I saw one a few weeks ago, beautiful firearm, got my interest spiked....
It's a die cast replica, just buy something that the US government spent huge amounts of money on to cast and forge. Then you get the history and the better quality.
Quote:

Old 02-21-2017, 4:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I owned a couple of Plainfield carbines in the 70s and found them to be reliable firearms.
Old 02-21-2017, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I bought one of the Universal M1 carbines that was a presentation model. It was brand new with all USGI parts and a magnificent Walnut stock. In the presentation case it came in it also had every magazine size the military used. Bayonet, sling and cleaning kit. I paid 600 for it thinking i was going to make some bucks on it . All i got was posts on what a POS it was and nobody wanted it. This was not one of the later carbines that had the duel recoil springs. This one was just like the military carbine and used a new surplus bolt. I finally got 650 from a collector that felt sorry for me.
Lesson learned. I would have kept and shot it but i bought it to sell.

Last edited by NOTABIKER; 02-25-2017 at 6:53 AM..
Old 02-21-2017, 4:52 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
I bought one of the Universal M1 carbines that was a presentation model. It was brand new with all USGI parts and a magnificent Walnut stock. In the presentation case it cam in it also had every magazine size the military used. Bayonet, sling and cleaning kit. I paid 600 for it thinking i was going to make some bucks on it . All i got was posts on what a POS it was and nobody wanted it. This was not one of the later carbines that had the duel recoil springs. This one was just like the military carbine and used a new surplus bolt. I finally got 650 from a collector that felt sorry for me.
Lesson learned. I would have kept and shot it but i bought it to sell.
I think I remember that thread.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60