Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:51 AM

Question Sighting in a k98 Mauser???

So I finally took my k98 out to the range and it was shooting high and to the right (at 50 yards)
I know by adjusting the front sight to the right it will move the impact of the rounds to the left.
How do I adjust the Elevation to bring the rounds down.
The sliding elevation knob on the rear sight is at 100 and can not go any further.
Is there a special trick??
Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You need a taller front sight.

You can get one at Tennessee Gun Parts or Brownells for around $15 or so. Then you just file it down to the correct height.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What ammo were you shooting?
Old 03-16-2008, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mur View Post
So I finally took my k98 out to the range and it was shooting high and to the right (at 50 yards)
I know by adjusting the front sight to the right it will move the impact of the rounds to the left.
How do I adjust the Elevation to bring the rounds down.
The sliding elevation knob on the rear sight is at 100 and can not go any further.
Is there a special trick??

You might want to try different ammo and/or shooting the rifle at 100 yards and see if the sight is correct. I wouldn't replace a front sight for shooting at 50 yards with a full power rifle, I"d just hold under the target.
Old 03-16-2008, 2:14 PM

I was shooting Yugo 8mm, It was off by a good 6"
I'm measure the front sight and see if it is unusually low (whatever that is)
Old 03-16-2008, 2:20 PM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

IIRC, Yugo 8mm is a little hot for the German Kar98k, but either way it will shoot high at 50yds anyways. A taller front sight will do the trick, but the more elegant solution (and the best in the long run) would be to load your own. You'll eventually want to do that when your supply of surplus 8mm runs out.

-Jason

In the meantime, lollipop the target at 50 yds
Old 03-16-2008, 2:51 PM

Ya I understand it will shoot a bit high at 50, but 6+ inches (might even been 8 to 10) just seemed a bit too much, Is there a standard height for the front sight?

I will try it out on the 100 yard target and see if it changes any. I also have a bunch of Romanian ammo I could try...hmmm

How much more hot is the yugo compared to others? What's the best surplus?
Old 03-16-2008, 3:44 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

The Yugo 8mm is loaded very close to the German WWII specs, so it shouldn't be too hot for your K98.

The Romanian will shoot lower, so give that a try first.

If you are going to be shooting several different types of 8mm at ranges between 50 and 100 yards then you will have to get used to the sights not always being dead on. I try to set up my long Mausers (Persian, Czech) to hit dead on at 100 yards with the sights at their lowest setting and I only shoot 154 grain Turk surplus through them. For the K98's I set them up to shoot 196 grain German surplus or 1940 "Royal Serb" Yugo surplus.

The best (and maybe only) 8mm you can get now from distributors is the Yugo sniper ammo, but if you can find any 1970's Yugo it shoots just as good for less money. The 1950's Yugo is good too, but just not as accurate or reliable as the 1970's stuff.

Old 03-16-2008, 4:07 PM

thanks for the info, does your rear sight sit against the bottom steel piece?

Mine seems to be raised about 1/16, it's sitting on the elevation knobs (actually probably 1/32)

Also Is there a specific height that the front sight is suppose to be?

Last edited by mur; 03-16-2008 at 4:12 PM..
Old 03-16-2008, 4:43 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

On my K98's the rear sight has the same gap you describe. On the M98/22 long Mausers the rear sight sits on the bottom piece of steel.

I'm not sure if there is a standard front sight height but doubt it. It only takes .003 inches or so in front sight height to change point of impact by one inch at 100 yards. It seems like it would be difficult to machine all of the other parts involved to close enough tolerances so that only one front sight height was needed.

One trick I've seen mentioned on other boards is to glue a small piece of wood or plastic onto the back of your front sight and then file it to the shape and height needed for your particular ammo and range. It doesn't last forever, but usually holds up for a few range trips.

Old 03-16-2008, 5:08 PM

Well it looks like another trip to LARG is in order

I'll try it out on the 100 yard range and bring along some
of the Romanian and try both of them.

If it's still high I might go ahead and grab that front site from Brownells.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 PM

I took a small diameter wire and superglued it to the tip of my front sight.

I ran it along the sight blade in teh direction from the bore to the shooter, not from left to right.

Then I sharpied it black. Works great and raised the front sight 1/16" enough to be dead on at 100yds since thats where I do most shooting.