Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-17-2018, 4:31 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
because many of the types that go out into the desert to shoot are not shooters. they are idiots that own guns. they treat shooting as being "cool" or "gangster". they don't care about 2A, they just want to shoot their guns, which they obtained legally or illegally.

every hobby have people like these. these are the bad apples that ruin it for the rest of us.
most people that own guns are not shooters. if they were then ranges would not have so many idiot proof rules. public land is free and mostly unregulated so it will always have the worst of the worst but i have seen more safety issues at pay ranges.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376
Old 01-18-2018, 7:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRebote78 View Post
Sold my single cab Chevy and went ahead and bought me a new Tacoma off-road for the sole purposed of accessing BLM areas I can shoot at to be alone.
My lifted Jeep Wrangler JKU gets me anywhere. I leave the rest behind. Plenty of space out there if you can access it.
Old 01-18-2018, 7:41 AM

I've been to a range three times in my life, and once was to qualify for my ccw permit.

There's something about being up in the woods by yourself or with a group of friends, shooting how you want and when you want, that is awesome. Not having to worry about other people, the peacefulness, etc. Not a big fan of ranges.

This is one great thing about my part of California - lots of National Forest to go shoot in!
Old 01-18-2018, 8:50 AM

I enjoy shooting, a lot. Just like fishing and hunting and camping. But its also an excuse to get outdoors. If i was regulated to clubs and indoor shooting ranges i would probably stop shooting. The places i shoot are either private property or public land, far out enough that you dont see other people.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:21 AM

Ive often seen groups of Hmong with very poor gun handling / gun safety training

like this kid firing from behind the line, and he sweeps the muzzle of his AR with his finger still on the trigger, very unsafe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlU4DFHTRbc

Old 01-18-2018, 12:06 PM

Yep, nothing like this would ever happen at an official range, yep nothing ever. Oh wait, let's revisit the IdPa shooter who was killed at Raahauges last year.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildFree View Post
Yep, nothing like this would ever happen at an official range, yep nothing ever. Oh wait, let's revisit the IdPa shooter who was killed at Raahauges last year.
It was a faulty range design, not poor or unsafe handling. Not a good example.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
yah well so was the AZ death. whats yur point
Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
most people that own guns are not shooters. if they were then ranges would not have so many idiot proof rules. public land is free and mostly unregulated so it will always have the worst of the worst but i have seen more safety issues at pay ranges.
Sorry I meant the types that trash blm places, not all blm shooters. I didnt word my post correctly since I was responding to a specific quote
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 01-19-2018, 1:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
It's the only thing I know, I've been shooting at controlled ranges since I was 12 years old. Open desert shooting is fun but only when you are the only ones around.
Plus one.
There are just too many lazy fools who shoot the place up then leave a mess. My friends and I always haul out more crap than were brought in. That hets kind of old.
Old 01-19-2018, 3:57 AM
Veteran Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmas View Post
And we wonder why the majority of the public thinks we are a bunch of ignorant rednecks ... . (mine's pretty brown with the SoCal sun)
I would NEVER shoot in a public zone. It's hard enough not to get murdered on an organized line with RO's let alone on BLM land with mucho retardo's around.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 01-19-2018, 5:15 AM

Some people like living in a small apartment in a crowded city. Some people drive Prius'. I know people who like going to movies on opening night with all the waits, crowds and hassles associated.
Me? I'll take the 1 in a billion chance of a stray bullet shooting on open land under my own rules.
Old 01-19-2018, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildFree View Post
Quote:
LOL is that what they said?
Old 01-19-2018, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
Ive often seen groups of Hmong with very poor gun handling / gun safety training

like this kid firing from behind the line, and he sweeps the muzzle of his AR with his finger still on the trigger, very unsafe.

Classic, you don't know how many times this went on at Burro in it's early days. Wouldn't doubt for a minute that it still happens today.
Old 01-19-2018, 6:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
Classic, you don't know how many times this went on at Burro in it's early days. Wouldn't doubt for a minute that it still happens today.
Last time I was at Burro the ROs were non certified amateurs!
Itís been a while so cannot say if this is still the policy!
Old 01-19-2018, 6:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
because many of the types that go out into the desert to shoot are not shooters. they are idiots that own guns. they treat shooting as being "cool" or "gangster". they don't care about 2A, they just want to shoot their guns, which they obtained legally or illegally.

every hobby have people like these. these are the bad apples that ruin it for the rest of us.
Not to mention blasting thump thump music, smoking weed and drinking Budweiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post

As soon as these people show up it is time to leave.
Old 01-19-2018, 6:41 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
There is no range where the lady got shot. Just a bunch of small hills used as backstops.

Old 01-19-2018, 6:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Nobody misses Lytle Creek...... Circa the 1990's ? Hahaha
I miss the freedom back then, the 30 round mags, buying ammo at the only gas station off of sierra.

That place in the 80s and 90s was the wild west. Lots of gang bangers and yahoos a far cry from Lytle creek now, its actually safe now.

Pigeon ridge up in Azusa canyons was also a place I would frequent as a youngster.
Old 01-19-2018, 6:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
I hear you on that....still, I prefer organized ranges.
I even stopped going to our local "organized" range due to safety concerns. About my only good option now is to buy some land and set up a private range of my own.
Old 01-19-2018, 8:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
There is no range where the lady got shot. Just a bunch of small hills used as backstops.
^^^ This.

The AZ death was not a "range layout" issue, it was a "free for all, use common sense" issue. As we know, common sense is not all that common.
Old 01-19-2018, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex911 View Post
My parents live in Vegas, went to Sloan Canyon with my dad to shoot some plastic water bottles last year. All i heard were ricochets... looked like a trash dump also. Really unfortunate, no one picks up after they are done. Absolutely amazing how close this all is to I15! A young girl was killed a few years ago after being hit in the head by a ricochet. We have not been back since.
they closed Sloan Canyon for shooting about 2 years ago - it was supposed to be a one year closure for clean-up then they extended it

might not ever reopen for shooting and there is no one else to blame except the irresponsible people who go out there turn the place into a dumping grounds by leaving all the crap they shoot up all over the place

i range shoot only now - go in off peak times and it's usually pretty empty and i feel much safer than out in the middle of nowhere with irresponsible people with firearms

Today I whispered in the Devil's ear, "I AM THE STORM."

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneeasy View Post
I got eager cuz I love me some 20"
Old 01-19-2018, 8:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
LOL is that what they said?
No, that's what physics tells us.

If you're shooting in a bay that is dug into the hill, then you look around over the brim and you can see a backstop of another range, any bullet that gets through that backstop can ricochet straight to you.

In other words, you should look at the "brim horizon" and if you see ANY area where the bullets are impacting, the range is not designed properly - those ranges have to go cold while you're in the bay as there exists a straight line from the point of impact to you.
Old 01-19-2018, 9:26 AM

Most of my shooting is done at organized matches. When I go by myself or with the wife, we have a bay to ourselves with berms on 3 sides. I've got my own target stands and various steel targets. $100 per year. A lot of people will drive quite a distance to avoid paying a few bucks.
Old 01-19-2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
they closed Sloan Canyon for shooting about 2 years ago - it was supposed to be a one year closure for clean-up then they extended it

might not ever reopen for shooting and there is no one else to blame except the irresponsible people who go out there turn the place into a dumping grounds by leaving all the crap they shoot up all over the place

i range shoot only now - go in off peak times and it's usually pretty empty and i feel much safer than out in the middle of nowhere with irresponsible people with firearms
We went 26 DEC 2016, they must have closed it not long after we went. Clark County Shooting Complex has gotta be the best range ive ever been too.. id probably never go out to the desert if i had a facility like that local!

BTW, my parents are in Summerlin also.
Old 01-21-2018, 3:53 PM

Default Personally I prefer official gun ranges

there are still several open public land shooting spots about an hourís drive from central vegas. a quiet time shooting solo in the wide open spaces is one of americaís fast disappearing great pleasures but i never go shooting on weekends so as to avoid people (i.e. idiots) and i always have a loaded ccw on me in case of acquisitive visitors. back east i like an outdoor club range in the forest during midweek when it is deserted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jstert; 01-21-2018 at 3:55 PM..
Old 01-21-2018, 7:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's the catch 22 - can you be alone. If not, it takes only one idiot to make it into overall brain-free zone.
Yes

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 01-22-2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocked@45 View Post
I miss the freedom back then, the 30 round mags, buying ammo at the only gas station off of sierra.

That place in the 80s and 90s was the wild west. Lots of gang bangers and yahoos a far cry from Lytle creek now, its actually safe now.

Pigeon ridge up in Azusa canyons was also a place I would frequent as a youngster.
Foothill prospector supply on sierra and foothill was a great place. There was a small gun shop in lytle creek proper.

Ah freedom
Old 01-22-2018, 3:31 AM

You guys think the Blm shooting areas are dangerous have never been to an ohv riding area on a weekend. Those areas have people airlifted on a weekly basis.
Old 01-22-2018, 5:36 AM

Jesus, if that video represents what some of you call an open range, I feel sorry for you. I've only had people within 200 yards of me (if not 20 miles) twice in the last 12 years.
But then again, I don't share, post or spam my spot.
Old 01-22-2018, 6:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorTactical View Post
You guys think the Blm shooting areas are dangerous have never been to an ohv riding area on a weekend. Those areas have people airlifted on a weekly basis.

I've spent to many weekends covering Hollister AKA "Calstar" Hills. Sweet lord it's busy, just move from one crash to the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtmark View Post
I've spent to many weekends covering Hollister AKA "Calstar" Hills. Sweet lord it's busy, just move from one crash to the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen some of those injuries and they are pretty horrific.

But seriously, it is pretty rare to hear of a shooting at a range. It's common to hear of ohv accidents.

Any ways, going off topic here...
Old 01-22-2018, 7:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Looks like the area will be closed down "temporarily" as of 1/24. Allegedly it is to bury fiber for the cable company and for the electric company to make repairs.

The woman was shot 1 mile away from the shooting area.

Old 01-22-2018, 7:15 PM

Love em all. Ranges with berms competition matches. BLM for pure freedom of shooting alone with nobody around for miles and miles or more. Even indoor ranges for when ya just have to shoot but it's pouring down outside.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'