Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:48 AM

Default Grain mill??

Can any of you suggest a inexpensive grain mill that is decent quality? All I'm finding is cheap with poor Youtube reviews or quite expensive. Is there something middle of the road under $100 that will work on wheat berries?
Thanks
Old 09-17-2020, 10:56 AM

do you have a kitchenAid stand mixer with power take off? If so, they make a grain mill for it.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
do you have a kitchenAid stand mixer with power take off? If so, they make a grain mill for it.
No, I am actually after a manual model.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:23 PM

No such thing as a good cheap one.
Old 09-17-2020, 2:59 PM

What are you going to use it for? If you want to make flour good luck...all that I have looked into and the old Excalibur that I own are extremely slow and because of that rarely use it. We use lots of flour and just buy it by the 50lb sack.

Edit-looks like the electric wonder-mill is pretty fast...still not cheap

Last edited by luckylogger6; 09-17-2020 at 3:08 PM..
Old 09-17-2020, 3:06 PM

All the Utah locals were buying these up 6 months ago. Victorio hand operated grain mill. https://ifacountrystores.com/product...ed-grain-mill/

I think it accepts a motor, if you wish.
Old 09-17-2020, 3:33 PM

I purchased a Wonder Mill Junior Deluxe several years ago and it works great. Just talking to the wife a few days ago about making some peanut butter. Might be a bit more than you want to spend (around 250 or so) but you don’t want to go too cheap as it won’t last or it will be a complete PITA to use. They show out of stock but you might be able to locate one on another site. Many folks bought them up in the Covid/prep drama so it might be a bit before they are available.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/wonder...uxe-grain-mill
Old 09-17-2020, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalkid View Post
Can any of you suggest a inexpensive grain mill that is decent quality? All I'm finding is cheap with poor Youtube reviews or quite expensive. Is there something middle of the road under $100 that will work on wheat berries?
Thanks
Less than $100? None that I know of.

Spread out the load with the neighbors and group buy. 1 mill for all to use. Do a mill party 2 or 3 times a year or whatever. Buy a quality unit. Mill party helps when the arms get wore out after hours of working out.

Here are some good models... https://www.lehmans.com/category/gra...s#/perpage:500
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-17-2020, 5:44 PM

Opinions on the Country Living grain mill?
And every day the paper boy brings more."
Old 09-17-2020, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
I purchased a Wonder Mill Junior Deluxe several years ago and it works great. Just talking to the wife a few days ago about making some peanut butter. Might be a bit more than you want to spend (around 250 or so) but you don’t want to go too cheap as it won’t last or it will be a complete PITA to use. They show out of stock but you might be able to locate one on another site. Many folks bought them up in the Covid/prep drama so it might be a bit before they are available.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/wonder...uxe-grain-mill
If I can't find anything cheaper I'm probably guna keep an eye out for one of those used.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Wanna BUILD one?

Here's several ideas. https://survivalblog.com/?s=grain+mill

Yeah, ya' gotta scroll through it.
Old 09-20-2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
Opinions on the Country Living grain mill?
I think it's a great mill. Really like the ability to either run manual or electric. It makes good flour, something I'm picky about since I do a lot of bread baking. You can also set it to mill things like steel cut oats from oat groats.

Not cheap though, and lately it takes quite a long time to get one.

Dave

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 09-21-2020, 2:59 PM

I have a Back to Basics hand mill that has been solid for at least 10 years. No heavy usage.

https://www.amazon.com/Back-basics-G.../dp/B000PCDTNI
Old 09-21-2020, 3:27 PM

I use the "Cereal Killer" for brewing beer. Comes manual, but you can chuck a drill to it too.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-K...ll_p_2310.html
Old 09-22-2020, 7:51 PM

I own that small Victorio and it's okay. Recently bought their larger, hand crank model, VKP1024A and it works great. Buy an extra handle, cut the end off and chuck it in your cordless drill.

Unlike it's smaller brother, this model will mill down to the finest flour grain size you want.
Old 09-23-2020, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I think it's a great mill. Really like the ability to either run manual or electric. It makes good flour, something I'm picky about since I do a lot of bread baking. You can also set it to mill things like steel cut oats from oat groats.

Not cheap though, and lately it takes quite a long time to get one.

Dave
Thanks. I ended ordering a Mockmill (Oct availability); a little less expensive and pretty good reviews from what I found.

Now I just need to decide on red vs. white hard wheat berries. Never milled my own and have mostly used King Arthur bread flour for my loaves. Don’t know the taste differences between red/white.
And every day the paper boy brings more."
Old 09-23-2020, 7:32 AM

I'm really just starting on the process of moving from store bought flour to home milled flour, but here's what I've learned so far.

Because it's been available locally (I live in north Idaho where there are some Menonite stores that carry such things) I've been using hard red berries (Bronze Chief) and a lighter variety called Prairie Gold. Both are from Wheat Montana.

The Bronze Chief behaves like a traditional whole wheat flour, and makes a hearty loaf of whole wheat bread. The Prairie Gold makes bread with a softer crumb, but still has the color and flavor of a whole wheat bread. I like both products, but I don't think they will substitute well for things you normally make with AP flour.

I have some hard white berries on order, as well as some Durham wheat berries. Durham is often used for pizza dough.

I think you're going to want both hard red and hard white for bread baking. You may want some soft white for other baked goods (cakes, muffins, etc).

BTW, as a semi-serious bread baker I'll say that I've found I need to increase the hydration percentage by about 2% when using fresh milled flour, so expect that you may need to make some adjustments to your standard recipes when using fresh milled flour.

Dave