Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:57 AM

Default Response from Congressman Royce

I finally received a response from Assemblyman Edward R. Royce to my e-mail of early October.

My immediate concerns were Curbela bill (H.R. 3999 'bumpfire' ban) is a kneejerk reaction to a single, isolated event and that the bill fails to provide definitions to 'device or parts' or 'standard rate of fire'. As Royce is a co-sponsor I asked that he remove himself as sponsor and vote in opposition to the bill. His response follows;

Dear R,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for regulating bump stock devices. It is good to hear from you.

As you know, automatic weapons were banned in 1934. A bump stock device changes a semi-automatic weapon’s recoil to allow it to fire at a rate similar to a fully automatic. These devices currently are legal, unregulated, and widely available. As one former law enforcement agent put it, these devices create a loophole to circumvent the laws that make automatic weapons largely unavailable. That is why I cosponsored H.R. 3999, a bill to ban these devices.

As you may be aware, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is seeking to regulate bump stock devices. The ATF’s intention to redefine the term “machinegun” was published in the Federal Register on December 26, 2017.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. I appreciate having the benefit of your views.
“The instruments by which governments must act are either the authority of the laws or force. If the first be destroyed, the last must be substituted; and where this becomes the ordinary instrument of government there is an end to liberty!”- Alexander Hamilton

Last edited by ROMEOHOTEL; 01-06-2018 at 3:43 AM..
Old 01-06-2018, 1:02 AM

The simple and proper response would be to vote to abolish the NFA. Instead, I feel he doubles down by not questioning the legality of the NFA or even granting legislative authority to the unelected bureaucrats of the BATFE.

I'm sure we can all summon some unnamed former law enforcement agent to substantiate our opinion. (What does such an 'agent' have to do with the matter? Is this unnamed person deemed an 'expert' Pray not the 'experts'.)
“The instruments by which governments must act are either the authority of the laws or force. If the first be destroyed, the last must be substituted; and where this becomes the ordinary instrument of government there is an end to liberty!”- Alexander Hamilton

Last edited by ROMEOHOTEL; 01-06-2018 at 1:06 AM..
Old 01-07-2018, 5:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMEOHOTEL View Post
I finally received a response from Assemblyman Edward R. Royce to my e-mail of early October.

My immediate concerns were Curbela bill (H.R. 3999 'bumpfire' ban) is a kneejerk reaction to a single, isolated event and that the bill fails to provide definitions to 'device or parts' or 'standard rate of fire'. As Royce is a co-sponsor I asked that he remove himself as sponsor and vote in opposition to the bill. His response follows;

Dear R,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for regulating bump stock devices. It is good to hear from you.

As you know, automatic weapons were banned in 1934. A bump stock device changes a semi-automatic weapon’s recoil to allow it to fire at a rate similar to a fully automatic. These devices currently are legal, unregulated, and widely available. As one former law enforcement agent put it, these devices create a loophole to circumvent the laws that make automatic weapons largely unavailable. That is why I cosponsored H.R. 3999, a bill to ban these devices.

As you may be aware, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is seeking to regulate bump stock devices. The ATF’s intention to redefine the term “machinegun” was published in the Federal Register on December 26, 2017.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. I appreciate having the benefit of your views.
Just for the record Ed Royce is a congressman from Orange County and has had an A rating from NRA for decades .
Ed Royce was instrumental in reopening Burro Cyn shooting range after the Clinton admin closed it down in 1999 and George W Bush's sec of ag ( Ann Venamin sp ) reopened it 2000 .
Old 01-08-2018, 1:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

"The ATF’s intention to redefine the term “machinegun” was published in the Federal Register on December 26, 2017."

I was not aware ATF is going to "redefine" machinegun. Does anyone have additional information? Hopefully ATF doesn't do an "any firearm that doesn't require manual operation of the action to which a 'bumpfire' stock can be attached ..." redefinition.
Old 01-08-2018, 3:32 PM

Speaking of Ed Royce, the LA Times posted this today:

California Republican Rep. Ed Royce won't seek reelection

Quote:
House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce will not run for reelection, he announced Monday.

Royce, a Republican from Fullerton who was first elected to Congress in 1992, is chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee and is known as a hawk and a free trade advocate.

He is the first California Republican to announce a retirement in what's expected to be a tough year for the GOP at the ballot box.
Old 01-09-2018, 7:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Republicans are giving up on California. Issa is also targeted with Hanoi Jane Fonda pitching in $100,000 to defeat him.

Ed saw the demographic shifts and decided to not push back the ocean with a broom.
Old 01-09-2018, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

We need Ed Royce in congress! He has been a 2A hero for decades and unless I missed something he should win re-election.

Those who want a progun republican should call his office and request he run one more time!

Local office is 714 255 0101.
respectfully
Old 01-10-2018, 2:29 PM

Default SHE and ISSA...

BAILING... COWARDS !!!!!!!!!
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=20c9730268&view=fimg&th=15ad3c387b7ea1aa& attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_15ad3c34b07b03d5&a ttbid=ANGjdJ_GOwaOCfqt3OHKm7zY_mRBiORflleilym4tijR cuiC5hGws2oJLyDhF9PhQVXWMa7_jCP_uMAWxJrz5ef-HJcaRLRDzRANo5ScBq6Y0tJJfz6He0c6K0GPTDg&sz=w632-h880&ats=1489612610462&rm=15ad3c387b7ea1aa&zw&atsh =1
Old 01-10-2018, 2:41 PM

you have no choice but to move on when a sitting congressman bails on you and opts to back off. Find someone else that does not have a track record the democrats can attack. Issa is carrying a lot of past baggage and you would be better off spending your money on someone who does not have past baggage to defend. Get progressive and spring someone on the democrats they have to scramble and spend money on investigating and when they come up short then spend your money attacking them.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:33 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja308 View Post
We need Ed Royce in congress! He has been a 2A hero for decades and unless I missed something he should win re-election.

Those who want a progun republican should call his office and request he run one more time!

Local office is 714 255 0101.
respectfully
Mr. Royce so utterly bungled his response to my concerns about the incidents which lead to the fatal shooting of Robert Lavoy Finicum*. Mr. Royce seemed befuddled of my position opposing the Hughes Amendment. And now this. I make a point of including in all my contacts with any elected legislator a call for action, to either vote yea or nay on whatever legislation action is at hand.

Whether it is himself or his office staff (district and D.C. offices), it is Mr. Royce who is elected therefore responsible. I understand being ignored, but the botched responses are too much.

I mean, look at the first sentence of his response as shown in the OP. For Pete's sake, how could he conclude I was in support of the bill when I asked that he remove himself as co-sponsor and vote nay on the Curbelo bill?

Shockingly, surprisingly Dianne Feinstein gave a better response to my concerns. However, she too missed the mark, only less so than Mr. Royce.

I am very fiscally and socially conservative. Yet Mr. 'A' rating seems to not serve me - a constituent - as he doesn't even properly or fairly respond in any of my multiple contacts over the years.

*More in line with my conclusion is the use of the term 'murder' however I did not include that in any of my contacts due to the possibility it would be perceived as inflammatory.

Last edited by ROMEOHOTEL; 01-10-2018 at 11:36 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 1:12 AM

what do you expect from a totally self serving congress that is milking the public whether they are republican or democrat. It is time to replace all of them and do it with the best person with the best record and someone who would sign a promise not to seek more than two terms and to serve without getting continued benefits after leaving office. this is a money game now and people only fight to go to congress so they can come in non-millionaires and leave millionaires while continuing to bilk the public. This man does not surprise me but the people who were dumb enough to elect him do surprise me. Vote for honest people not party politics.
Old 01-11-2018, 8:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Heard a rumor that Issa might try to slide onto Ed's district and seat. Seems like that is not going to happen.

State senator USMC Rocky Chavez is going for Issa's seat. He would be a good replacement.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:00 AM

USMC is a good start but check out the man and his voting record. How many promises did he keep and how good is his word to the public? we need good honest men and women and we cannot afford to make mistakes this time around. the past will predict the future on each candidate.
Old 01-12-2018, 8:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Rocky is a thorn in the side of the Excremento communists. He has a great voting record here even thought it was all cancelled out by the commies.

Camp Pendleton is also in this district and Rocky would also represent them well. Sure beats Doug Applegate.
Old 02-03-2018, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Heard a rumor that Issa might try to slide onto Ed's district and seat. Seems like that is not going to happen.

State senator USMC Rocky Chavez is going for Issa's seat. He would be a good replacement.

How can you not vote for a pro 2A former USMC veteran named Rocky Chavez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk