Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-03-2017, 2:51 PM

Default Ammo transfers from out of state post-1/1/18

Per the upcoming law change, are there any SoCal FFL's who will accept out-of-state bulk ammo shipments for transfer to the customer after 1/1/18?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Being that we dont even know what an 'ammo transfer' is going to entail there is no way we can say for certain that we will or will not be doing these post 2017.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Tons of new handguns! New Aero Receivers in stock soon!
Old 12-05-2017, 8:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Kemasa, I have a good question for you about this topic that I haven't seen discussed here yet. Would BOE consider these ammo transfers as taxable once the requirements are in place to do the background check? Using the same logic they apply to the interstate transfers this would seem to be the case.

I'm wondering if the bulk ammo online orders will be as prevalent if they become taxable and people start paying 8-9.5% sales tax on them? I'll bet people just opt to go to brick and mortars instead.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Tons of new handguns! New Aero Receivers in stock soon!
Old 12-05-2017, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

I would not think so, at least not by the FFL. The reason why is that the excuse they use for firearms is that Federal law requires it go through a FFL. Consider the case of a C&R firearm from a private party out of state, as long as it is occasional and the buyer has a C&R FFL, it is not subject to sales tax because it is a state law requirement that it go through a Dealer.

The buyer of the ammo would still owe sales tax though.

Then again, I would expect the BOE to claim that the FFL is the retailer and demand that it be collected.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-05-2017, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I called the BOE (or whatever it is called today). They have no idea. I was told that it was mentioned in a meeting by a person who saw a news article about it.

The question that I have is how would the BOE know to figure it out? I would assume that the CA DOJ would need to inform them that a new requirement means that items have to be shipped through a CA dealer, much like firearms, but since the procedure to become an ammo dealer has not been done yet, I doubt that they would even think of that. I suspect it is the CA dealers who are going to have to push the issue and get the BOE to figure out the issues and time is quite limited, although as far as I know no one can yet become an ammo dealer in CA.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein