Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 06-15-2018, 8:53 AM

Default New to Competitive Shooting: Opinions on DA/SA in 2018?

Hey all, new guy here when it comes to competitive shooting.

I've been doing some research on IDPA and was curious about everyone's thoughts on using a DA/SA platform?

Currently, I have a PX4 and am about to convert it to a G, Decocker Only, model, but now I'm curious if I'm going against the current, here.

Aside from the Double Action pull that people seem to hate, anything else I should consider?

If so, any other recommendations? I've owned striker fire too and can see the appeal of a consistent shot.

Any and all comments are appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-15-2018, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

It all depends on what you feel comfortable with. There are a lot of guys shooting striker fired guns and a lot shooting DA/SA (mostly CZs and Tanfoglios). That is in SSP. Then, in ESP you will find a lot of guys shooting SA guns.
Old 06-15-2018, 9:11 AM

Thanks for the reply, tanks!

Yeah, I've read that shooting a CZ lets you shoot SSP and ESP. Sounds like with my PX4 I'm not able to shoot ESP since I can't leave the hammer cocked and engage the safety simultaneously :/

^EDIT: Actually... I should open the IDPA Rulebook...

Last edited by phildunphy1989; 06-15-2018 at 9:26 AM..
Old 06-15-2018, 9:35 AM

Look at the ESP Start Condition rules; you should be able to decock and shoot in ESP if you really wanted to.
Old 06-15-2018, 9:39 AM

Yeah, I think I read an old comment in context to older IDPA rules that misguided me.

I just read the 2017 IDPA Rulebook and looks like I can run a PX4 in ESP same as I would run it in SSP: Starting, decocked, with the safety on/off at my discretion.

Last edited by phildunphy1989; 06-15-2018 at 9:44 AM..
Old 06-15-2018, 9:46 AM

I don't shoot IDPA, but in USPSA DA/SA guns are hugely popular in specific divisions.

My personal opinion is that the internet says to hate DA first pull because most people suck at it. Like anything else, work at it and you will be successful no matter which action your gun of choice uses.
Old 06-15-2018, 9:49 AM

Awesome, thanks for the reply, trackcage!

Yeah, I figure I'd try my best at the DA pull, and really put in the work. If anything I'd imagine it'd help my SA pull down the line, if I do switch to a striker haha

Haven't dove into USPSA, but don't see any reason not to!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildunphy1989 View Post

Haven't dove into USPSA, but don't see any reason not to!
Coming into the competitive shooting new I'd pick one, either IDPA or USPSA. Rules are quite a bit different between the two.

Biggest difference between the two is that USPSA is freestyle. You have a course of fire and it is up to you as a shooter to shoot it. In IDPA you are told how to shoot a course of fire, the order of targets to shoot etc., etc.. You also shoot a lot more rounds in a match in USPSA.

Personally, I prefer USPSA.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
I don't shoot IDPA, but in USPSA DA/SA guns are hugely popular in specific divisions.

My personal opinion is that the internet says to hate DA first pull because most people suck at it. Like anything else, work at it and you will be successful no matter which action your gun of choice uses.
But with the new rules, you can swap internals to help with DA/SA even in production.

Same in SSP I think, but I have not checked the IDPA rules in a while.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:14 AM

Thanks, all, some good info here! Right off the bat USPSA sounds a lot less "restricted" than IDPA.

Yet, USPSA sounds like I'd need a good coach/example since I shouldn't just shoot whatever I want, however I want, and expect to win hahaha

I do reload, so ammo might not be too big an issue.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
But with the new rules, you can swap internals to help with DA/SA even in production.

Same in SSP I think, but I have not checked the IDPA rules in a while.
Yup, the 2017 manuals says any INTERNAL modification is fine
Old 06-15-2018, 11:27 AM

I think IDPA is the better place to start. As a new shooter, your PX4 will be fine. You’ll know when the DA/SA trigger starts to hold you back.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
I think IDPA is the better place to start. As a new shooter, your PX4 will be fine. You’ll know when the DA/SA trigger starts to hold you back.
I think USPSA might be better as he will not have to worry about cover, tactical priority shooting order, fishing vests, slide lock reloads, retention reloads etc., etc..

Assuming he is safe all he has to do is show up and shoot for USPSA. He is not going to win at either for a while anyway.

The only caveat is that he will need 5/6 mags for USPSA and he can make do with 3 for IDPA.

Lastly if he is in Southern CA he can find a USPSA match every week locally whereas not as many IDPA matches are available.
Old 06-15-2018, 1:00 PM

hahaha fishing vests!

Oh, that's a good point about match availability in the Los Angeles area! Didn't even think of that...

Yeah, IDPA sounds like a lot to take in at once. USPSA on the other hand sounds "easier" to get started, to me. I've got 4 mags, so I'm almost there!

But first things first, I want to make sure I have all the safe habits/rules down pat. Last thing I want to do is get all adrenaline excited and break the 180 haha
Old 06-15-2018, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
I think USPSA might be better as he will not have to worry about cover, tactical priority shooting order, fishing vests, slide lock reloads, retention reloads etc., etc..

Assuming he is safe all he has to do is show up and shoot for USPSA. He is not going to win at either for a while anyway.

The only caveat is that he will need 5/6 mags for USPSA and he can make do with 3 for IDPA.

Lastly if he is in Southern CA he can find a USPSA match every week locally whereas not as many IDPA matches are available.
I'm in Southern California (San Bernardino/Riverside area). Where should I look to find a USPSA match? Preferably one that might be kinder to those new to competition.
Old 06-15-2018, 2:28 PM

Don't buy a new gun, just a holster and some mag pouches and enough mags to get through a stage. Go to a match and shoot. After shooting for awhile you can try other guns and see if you want to invest in a gun.
Lots of people will let you try their gun.

I prefer USPSA over IDPA. IDPA has more rules and less shooting. They are both games and the IDPA people take the rules about tactical priority and reloads too seriously. I hate it when they start talking real life and how you have to shoot these targets in a certain order and have to reload certain ways and can't drop a mag bla bla bla. No where in real life are you going to see the stage diagram, given walk throughs, then timed on how fast you go shoot all the bad guys. It's a game, have fun
Old 06-15-2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedAngel View Post
I'm in Southern California (San Bernardino/Riverside area). Where should I look to find a USPSA match? Preferably one that might be kinder to those new to competition.
https://practiscore.com/search/matches
Old 06-15-2018, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedAngel View Post
There is a match every week at Prado. Here is a web link.
http://nrg.jvdynamics.com/site/

They have a squad specifically for new shooters.
Old 06-16-2018, 9:21 AM

Lots of local ranges (at least here in nor cal) offer a half day intro to competition shooting class. It's actually a requirement if you've never done any competition shooting before. Makes sure you're safe, their safe, and makes your match go a lot more smoothly. I'm sure there is something similar in so cal