Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-17-2018, 1:09 PM

Thumbs up Reflection on my FIRST sanctioned IDPA match

Hahaha! Lessons learned in my FIRST sanctioned IDPA match at Bakersfield... An obvious lesson, but a lesson nonetheless...

It was, personally, a not-so-satisfying performance - finished 61/120 overall, 16/39 overall for SSP (Stock) division; 24/57 for SS (Sharpshooter) class; and 6/17 in SSP SS. ... and missed the "Most Accurate" by "1" point (there was a 3-way tie).

https://practiscore.com/results/html...d-bfbdc7cadb74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCgljknqTBk

But then again, I have no one else to blame but myself...

Due to family, work, other personal obligations; or just being plainly lazy - I wasn't able to participate in any shooting match (IDPA or USPSA) since the first week of January. A few weeks prior to the match, I did not even LIVE fired my competition pistol G34; not even in a square range. All I had was about 10~15-minutes of dry fire at least twice a week M-F; 30-minutes once on either a Saturday or Sunday. Drills consisted of "white wall" (for trigger control), draw, reloads and transitions.

Come match day - as I wasn't able to verify (or remember) the zero of my pistol with my match ammunition (Peak Performance 147GR) - self-doubt sets in! My mind wasn't clear and focused... It was made all the worst when the FAST drill was the first stage!
Note: My sights shoots a little high (which can be advantageous when you start mashing the trigger in stress)

A few shots later, I find that I cannot get a good sight picture! I can't track my sights. I absolutely did NOT have any confidence in my calls. This was quite evident in LOTS of "make-up" shots (and LOST time).

Dropping non-empty mags everywhere (like USPSA) and NOT "slicing the pie" didn't help either - leading to further penalty hits.

I started getting back into the groove by the fifth stage ("Birthday Bash") - getting a stage rank of #24. However, it was already TOO late. The match was already half-way finished.

... Well, at least I'd say that it was a very important lesson. I learned (or REALIZED) what is required to participate in a sanctioned match!!! I intend to do better next time (participate in more matches, have a few more live fire practice sessions)... Oh yes, in small talk with one SO (Safety Officer) over lunch - I finally understood what they mean by "shooting is a perishable skill."

In the end, I guess not being DQed is a good thing as well. And I had awesome fun!!! Thanks to guys at the 5 Dogs Action Shooters for a well-hosted match...

_

Last edited by rodralig; 04-17-2018 at 1:17 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 9:29 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

How did you like stage 6?
Old 04-17-2018, 9:33 PM

Yeah. It's one thing to feel you could've shot better, but multiple procedurals sure hurt. It's easy to make those mistakes if you shoot more USPSA then shoot an IDPA match. I'm sure you'll be more prepared for the next one. But, you were out there. Can't get better without being there.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Technically you should have that G34 in ESP.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
Yeah. It's one thing to feel you could've shot better, but multiple procedurals sure hurt. It's easy to make those mistakes if you shoot more USPSA then shoot an IDPA match.
That's the thing - I actually shoot MORE IDPA rather than USPSA... Well, I guess my last match (January 7) was USPSA, so...

Quote:
I'm sure you'll be more prepared for the next one. But, you were out there. Can't get better without being there.
*nod* Lessons learned indeed! And yes, at the least - I did make the commitment to head out and participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
How did you like stage 6?
Hahahaha!!! Someone had to ask.

Compared to how the others in my squad (which was #2), I think mine was more positive. Especially getting kudos from a few that I was only down 3 in the long range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Why? Because of the barrel? I was going through #8.2 and I was checking the list of allowed and not-allowed modifications, and I didn't see any conflicts. Well, at least based on my understanding of the rule book. Unless I'm missing something?

Aside from the barrel and sights - the configuration is completely stock, including the trigger assembly. It's the same setup I use for the GSSF matches.

_
Old 04-18-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Technically, you are wrong. A box stock Glock 34 is SSP. Add a mag well or some other modifications as detailed in the IDPA rules and you have an ESP gun. There is no mag well on the gun used in the OP's video and he states the gun is box stock.

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 04-18-2018 at 10:39 AM..
Old 04-18-2018, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nope, the G34 falls firmly into SSP...unless it is more highly modified than the OP's gun in the video
Old 04-19-2018, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Here ya go....

http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/cfcvw4ka.izk.pdf