Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-02-2010, 6:08 PM
nguyen831

Thumbs up serpa vs safariland

just wondering what majority prefer in tactical leg holsters, or is there another?

vs

Old 05-02-2010, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

I prefer Safariland, especially for drop leg holsters. The Serpas leg platform is a hip-breaker. You land on it, and you're going to know about it. The Safariland is a little more land-on-it friendly.

That and I've seen SERPAs lock up after a roll in the dust, it took 3 guys and bolt cutters to get the pistol out. Safariland's retention system is a little more simple.

Kevin
*Certified Glock Armorer
*Certified Sig (Classic Series) Armorer
*Certified Remington 870 Armorer
*AK Builder, Armorer, Operator - Trained by Rifle Dynamics*
*FFL Employee*
*Trained Gunsmith*
**SERVICES OFFERED! PM IF INTERESTED**
Old 05-02-2010, 6:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I love my Serpa, but haven't tried the Safariland. My duty holsters are Safariland and have been for 20+ years with ZERO complaints.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 05-02-2010, 6:31 PM

OIF taught me safariland > serpa.
I also like to chop down the bottom strap so that I can shimmy the holster higher on the thigh. Makes running a lot easier.
Old 05-02-2010, 6:59 PM

We were just issued the Safariland Model 6354 ALS Tactical Thigh Holster for our Glock 35 w/weapon mounted lights. So far i am really happy with it. My previous issue holster was a Safariland Model 6304 ALS™ Tactical Holster which i used for a number of years and was also very satisfied with it.

Live life like a dog
If you can't lick it,eat it,chew it or screw it,
Piss on it and walk away
Old 05-02-2010, 7:02 PM

Safariland's quality completely surpasses the Serpa. If I were given a choice between the two for duty I would pick SL over the Serpa everytime.
Old 05-02-2010, 8:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Okay, this is weird. I have a Serpa and Safariland and the Serpa is by far my favorite. The Safariland drives me nuts, the Serpa is a joy to use. I guess I will put some more time into the Safariland and give it another chance.
Old 05-02-2010, 9:18 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

For duty use, Safariland > SERPA.

For competition, recreation, or backpacking (or similar), the SERPA level II
Old 05-02-2010, 9:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Safariland has better quality all around, and the Safariland's ALS retention system is head and shoulders above the SERPA's retention system.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:59 PM
nguyen831

cool, safariland it is.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 AM

+1 for the Safariland.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelaw View Post

I agree.
Old 05-03-2010, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelaw View Post

Big +1. I use SERPA while on RSO duty at range, or competition shooting, since it's not likely I have to roll in dirt with it.

Took a tactical pistol class once and had a little rock jam in SERPA and I was not able to complete one drill. Luckily, I was able to clear that with my knife soon afterward. That incident taught me SERPA is not for rough environment usage.

If I have to choose one over the other, I will go with Safariland. My SHTF gear includes 6004 for both my SIG and 1911.
NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer. Any question, please feel free to sent e-mail to ontargetrange@sbcglobal.net or visit our forum on Calguns under vendor section!
Old 05-03-2010, 8:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I like how it looks like the Serpa covers the sights. If you're crawling around prone on rocks, I sure would want my sights protected from being scraped off.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 05-03-2010, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I like how it looks like the Serpa covers the sights. If you're crawling around prone on rocks, I sure would want my sights protected from being scraped off.
If your sights get scraped off from a little prone action chances are they will probably not stay on the gun very well to being with.
Old 05-03-2010, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Not to hi-jack the OP's thread (seems like he got the info he needs), but had a quick question regarding the Safariland 6004 model. I was thinking of getting one for my Springfield XD9 Tactical w/ mounted light. I was wondering if I get that version, but maybe want to run my gun w/o the mounted light sometimes, will the holster still retain the gun well, or will it be wiggling around because the light isn't on it to fill that space? Anyone have any experience with that?
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 05-03-2010, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

+1 for the Safariland for safety reasons.

Blackhawk was not thinking about human nature when designing their Serpa push button holsters. I am not at all crazy about using your trigger finger to press in on a button right near the trigger when drawing. That is just asking to have an ND right into your own leg. However, lots of professionals like them.

You did not list my favorite holster, Blade-Tech. They make their holsters to order. If you have a specific gun/light combination you need to accomodate they have a lot of options to choose from. After using everything from Fobus (which are nice) to Uncle Mikes (which are also nice) I switched to Blade-Tech for my personal holster. Why? Superior fit and snugger to the body design with the fastest draw out of all like holsters. Expect to drop some coin, but you get what you pay for. I wish they had a dropship program and not such a high buy-in so I could sell them on my website.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djleisure View Post
Not to hi-jack the OP's thread (seems like he got the info he needs), but had a quick question regarding the Safariland 6004 model. I was thinking of getting one for my Springfield XD9 Tactical w/ mounted light. I was wondering if I get that version, but maybe want to run my gun w/o the mounted light sometimes, will the holster still retain the gun well, or will it be wiggling around because the light isn't on it to fill that space? Anyone have any experience with that?
i think the 6004 it basicly a 6280 on a thigh rig. if thats the case, the gun is not secure without the light attatched. try the ALS version if you need to holster you wepon without the light.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrooper View Post
i think the 6004 it basicly a 6280 on a thigh rig. if thats the case, the gun is not secure without the light attatched. try the ALS version if you need to holster you wepon without the light.
Ahhh, wasn't aware of the ALS model - I'll check it out, thanks!
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 05-03-2010, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
+1 for the Safariland for safety reasons.

Blackhawk was not thinking about human nature when designing their Serpa push button holsters. I am not at all crazy about using your trigger finger to press in on a button right near the trigger when drawing. That is just asking to have an ND right into your own leg. However, lots of professionals like them.

You did not list my favorite holster, Blade-Tech. They make their holsters to order. If you have a specific gun/light combination you need to accomodate they have a lot of options to choose from. After using everything from Fobus (which are nice) to Uncle Mikes (which are also nice) I switched to Blade-Tech for my personal holster. Why? Superior fit and snugger to the body design with the fastest draw out of all like holsters. Expect to drop some coin, but you get what you pay for. I wish they had a dropship program and not such a high buy-in so I could sell them on my website.
+1 for Blade-Tech. If Level II is good for your needs it's a great holster as the WRS is secure & reliable. The option of interchangeable belt attachments is handy too.

The only real downside is that they do not make a basket weave or leather laminate so it could be a no-go for uniformed duty at some agencies.
Old 05-03-2010, 1:39 PM

With the SL, whether it retains with the light or not seems to be model-dependent (by model, I mean the particular gun model/light combo). If you go through the entire list at OpticsPlanet it usually says for each one if it will still retain if the light is attached or not.

I've been running Serpa drop-legs and I like them a lot. The push button is fast, intuitive, and perfectly safe IMO as your finger is indexed right on the frame where it should be. I've also done a lot of rolling around in mud and crap with no jamming issue but I do consider myself lucky in that respect.

I'm switching to SL now though because they support a wide range of gun/light combos. The Serpas do not. That and I won't worry about the retention mechanism jamming anymore.
Old 05-03-2010, 1:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackViper View Post
With the SL, whether it retains with the light or not seems to be model-dependent (by model, I mean the particular gun model/light combo). If you go through the entire list at OpticsPlanet it usually says for each one if it will still retain if the light is attached or not.
I didn't know that info was available there - I gotta check it out now! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2010, 2:27 PM

I've seen both. The Safariland seems much higher quality. Also, the retention system is infinitely better.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djleisure View Post
Ahhh, wasn't aware of the ALS model - I'll check it out, thanks!
Hello DJ Leisure,

I work for Safariland. Yes, if you must retain the holster with and without the light, Supertrooper and Blackviper are correct. The ALS (6354/6355) and ALS/SLS (6304/6305) models will retain either way but the strictly SLS (6004/6005) models will not.

Here is a direct link to our "Will Fit" chart regarding Pistols w/Lights:

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/i...s-04-05-10.pdf

Let me know with PM if you have any further questions.

-James
Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Hello K1,

FYI, the Safariland ALS and ALS/SLS models also cover the sights with the exception of some concealment models. You are correct though, that SLS model 6004 pictured up top does not.

-James

Last edited by J_Dawson; 05-04-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmithcats View Post
OIF taught me safariland > serpa.
I also like to chop down the bottom strap so that I can shimmy the holster higher on the thigh. Makes running a lot easier.
Hello Gunsmithcat,

Yes, we do see the problem of the thigh rig being worn too low on the leg. A new way to combat this is with our DFA (Drop Flex Adapter) rig which replaces the strap normally found on our thigh rigs. It's used on our single strap models and keeps the holster higher up on the thigh and is nice and flexible but low enough to use with hard body armor. These will become more and more popular as time goes on.

Seen here with optional QLS (Quick Locking System) receiver plate and ELS (Equipment Locking System) receiver plates attached. The holster (with QLS fork attached), snaps into the middle plate and accessories snap into the side accessory plates.

-James
Old 05-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Dawson View Post
Here is a direct link to our "Will Fit" chart regarding Pistols w/Lights:

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/i...s-04-05-10.pdf

Let me know with PM if you have any further questions.

-James
Wow, now that's some service - thanks! I'll check the chart out and let you know if I have any more questions. Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2010, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue View Post
+1 for Blade-Tech. If Level II is good for your needs it's a great holster as the WRS is secure & reliable. The option of interchangeable belt attachments is handy too.

The only real downside is that they do not make a basket weave or leather laminate so it could be a no-go for uniformed duty at some agencies.
+2 for blade tech. Just don't let one of the salesmen on the phone try and convince you that their "carbon fiber" finish looks anything like basketweave... Evidently there is a PD near them somewhere that thinks so, they must all wear thick glasses! My old chief (or anybody else who saw it) certainly didn't think so.

That being said, I think that their products are superior in the "real world". I have carried the safariland system and the SERPA system. The SERPA will eventually get you killed (unless you are just a range junkie) and the Safariland has had rotary hood retention issues. Lets just say there is a reason that there is a lever lock and shield on the rotating hood now... even that won't really solve the problem as the hood catches EVERYTHING that gets close to it. I have packed mine with brush and dirt before rendering it totally useless.
Old 05-05-2010, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrun45 View Post
+2 for blade tech. Just don't let one of the salesmen on the phone try and convince you that their "carbon fiber" finish looks anything like basketweave... Evidently there is a PD near them somewhere that thinks so, they must all wear thick glasses! My old chief (or anybody else who saw it) certainly didn't think so.

That being said, I think that their products are superior in the "real world". I have carried the safariland system and the SERPA system. The SERPA will eventually get you killed (unless you are just a range junkie) and the Safariland has had rotary hood retention issues. Lets just say there is a reason that there is a lever lock and shield on the rotating hood now... even that won't really solve the problem as the hood catches EVERYTHING that gets close to it. I have packed mine with brush and dirt before rendering it totally useless.
can you elaborate on why the safariland and SERPA will get you kill? is it becuase dirt will get in the Safariland and SERPA release mechanism resulting blocking the release?
Old 05-05-2010, 9:44 AM

Its whatever you train with and become proficent at is what you should use. I use a Serpa as my duty holster and only have one complaint. the screws that attach the holster to the thigh rig tend to loosen up and fall out. You have to inspect it daily and make sure they are tight otherwise the next time your on the move your pistol might fall off
Old 05-09-2010, 4:31 PM
nguyen831

hmm Blade-Tech looks promising... WTS safariland?
Old 05-09-2010, 5:11 PM

My vote is safariland. I've had the serpa lock up on me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Just wish I knew what wood in your meat is suppost to taste like.
Old 05-09-2010, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nso1 View Post
I I use a Serpa as my duty holster and only have one complaint. the screws that attach the holster to the thigh rig tend to loosen up and fall out. You have to inspect it daily and make sure they are tight otherwise the next time your on the move your pistol might fall off
There was a law enforcement bulletin released on this not to long ago that included a picture of the holster separating from the mount so be sure to check those screws

Live life like a dog
If you can't lick it,eat it,chew it or screw it,
Piss on it and walk away
Old 05-10-2010, 5:13 AM

+1 Safariland!
Old 05-10-2010, 6:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45R View Post
Safariland's quality completely surpasses the Serpa. If I were given a choice between the two for duty I would pick SL over the Serpa everytime.

Old 05-10-2010, 1:06 PM
nguyen831

my new holster
Old 05-10-2010, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

It's always nice to see the results of a "what is your opinion" thread - looks like a good choice to me!