Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-24-2009, 3:30 PM

Im talking about after the 30 round mag has been converted to a 10. Does it then need to be permanently sealed so it cannot be easily changed back to 30?
Old 07-24-2009, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Im talking about after the 30 round mag has been converted to a 10. Does it then need to be permanently sealed so it cannot be easily changed back to 30?
Yes, the 10rd limitation must be permanent. However this is undefined by the DOJ because with enough time and tools, anything can be undone.

Magpul | Mega Arms | LMT | Hiperfire | ODIN Works | Multitasker
Spike's Tactical | Fortis | Centurion Arms | Limited Capacity PMAGs

FREE SHIPPING ON $150+ ORDERS!
Old 07-24-2009, 3:49 PM

Exactly, what is permanent, is bullet button permanent? Even if you epoxy bottom plate to body, you can still cut it out and just install new part. I think this was addressed few times and was looking for the best thread,before being side tracked by work.
Old 07-24-2009, 4:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMoskal View Post
Exactly, what is permanent, is bullet button permanent? Even if you epoxy bottom plate to body, you can still cut it out and just install new part. I think this was addressed few times and was looking for the best thread,before being side tracked by work.
Epoxying or riveting the floorplate would help show permanence. No sense in not doing it.

Old 07-24-2009, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post
Epoxying or riveting the floorplate would help show permanence. No sense in not doing it.
Unless it makes no difference and both considered permanent, then you end up with magazine that you can't clean or change weak spring for example.
Old 10-04-2009, 6:41 PM

Hi everyone:

I'm new to CalGuns. I just picked up a few PMags at the Del Mar gun show this weekend. They were modified 10/20 mags. The only modification was the addition of a rivet to prevent the follower from going lower than required to accomodate 10 rounds in the mag.

The more I have read in the forums, the more I see this could be an invitation for trouble from a LEO that would see the magazine as not being CA compliant.

My question is this ... The rivet prevents me from removing the follower from the magazine, so I cannot epoxy anything to the follower. I was going to epoxy a plastic hangar piece to the base plate and then epoxy the pmag shut at the bottom (hope that makes sense). However, I have not seen anyone epoxy a mod to the base plate, only to the follower. Why is this? Will my method not work?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-10-2009, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtorc View Post
Hi everyone:

I'm new to CalGuns. I just picked up a few PMags at the Del Mar gun show this weekend. They were modified 10/20 mags. The only modification was the addition of a rivet to prevent the follower from going lower than required to accomodate 10 rounds in the mag.

The more I have read in the forums, the more I see this could be an invitation for trouble from a LEO that would see the magazine as not being CA compliant.

My question is this ... The rivet prevents me from removing the follower from the magazine, so I cannot epoxy anything to the follower. I was going to epoxy a plastic hangar piece to the base plate and then epoxy the pmag shut at the bottom (hope that makes sense). However, I have not seen anyone epoxy a mod to the base plate, only to the follower. Why is this? Will my method not work?

Thanks for the help!
Read this post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8&postcount=10

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Talking

Thanks for the help NiteQwill!

My question was more along the lines of whether or not you could attack the block to the base of the magazine, rather than the follower.

Anyway, I spoke to the crew at Riflegear when I went to pick up my lower yesterday, and they believed that the rivet and permanently closed magazine base plate would be sufficient. They also said that if I wanted I could bring in my pmags and they'd modify them for me.

Thanks again for the help!

RT
Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 AM

can you make a 20, 30 or even a 100 round ar magazine CA "legal" by also changing the follower with one of those single shot sled thingies?
Old 12-05-2009, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtorc View Post
I was going to epoxy a plastic hangar piece to the base plate and then epoxy the pmag shut at the bottom (hope that makes sense). However, I have not seen anyone epoxy a mod to the base plate, only to the follower. Why is this? Will my method not work?

Thanks for the help!
I thought about this too and then I realizedd if I epoxied something to the baseplate how would i slide it back on
Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Banned

^^^Ding ding ding we have a winner!^
Old 12-06-2009, 4:51 PM

This is a great thread on how to do the modification. Thanks to everyone for their comments. However, Krpto brought up a great point. Unless you happen to be out of state making the modifications and then brining them into the state, how does one legally bring in a 20 round magazine to the state? From the laws standpoint, if you bring in the 20 round magazine, even to do the modification, the minute you cross that border, you just committed a crime. The only way I see one could bring in a 20 round magazine is in pieces, for spare parts. Is having just the 20 round casing against the law? Anyone want to provide an educated comment.
Old 12-06-2009, 5:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbill5789 View Post
This is a great thread on how to do the modification. Thanks to everyone for their comments. However, Krpto brought up a great point. Unless you happen to be out of state making the modifications and then brining them into the state, how does one legally bring in a 20 round magazine to the state? From the laws standpoint, if you bring in the 20 round magazine, even to do the modification, the minute you cross that border, you just committed a crime. The only way I see one could bring in a 20 round magazine is in pieces, for spare parts. Is having just the 20 round casing against the law? Anyone want to provide an educated comment.
Buying a rebuild kit is 100% legal. Just don't reassemble it until you've made the modifications to limit it to 10rds.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM

I used a 3/8 - 2-1/2" nylon bolt for the plug. I used a hacksaw to cut off the head of the bolt, and used JB weld to glue it in place. It fits 10 rounds perfectly with just enough room to spare for the feed lip cover.
Old 02-14-2010, 6:38 PM

Yeah thats what i was wondering, how did most of you guys get the magzines to do this?
I was interested in doing this as well but was just wondering on how to go about it. I am going out of state next weekend and was wondering if i can just get a hold of some hi-caps, take them a part and ship them back to myself do the mods needed and then put them back together?
Would that be legal ?
Old 03-16-2010, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjq View Post
Yeah thats what i was wondering, how did most of you guys get the magzines to do this?
I was interested in doing this as well but was just wondering on how to go about it. I am going out of state next weekend and was wondering if i can just get a hold of some hi-caps, take them a part and ship them back to myself do the mods needed and then put them back together?
Would that be legal ?
You can buy rebuild kits from some places, http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=27_28
Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Now you can buy the 10-round limiters that replace the internal base plate. PMAG was even smart enough to put a hole in them that makes it very easy to rivet into place. That said, they still have a disclaimer in place.