Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 7:53 PM

Default Air rifle zero range

So for general purpose plinking and occasional pest control, what range do you like to zero your air rifle at?

I have a Walther Terrus in .177 that shoots at about 1,000 fps.
Old 02-14-2018, 8:11 PM

Someone much more knowledgeable than I am will come along shortly, I hope.

Until then, for 1,000 fps, I’m guessing the short (first) zero would be 20 yards and the long (second) zero would probably be 40 yards? I always zero to 20 yards.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornStrategy View Post
Someone much more knowledgeable than I am will come along shortly, I hope. Until then, for 1,000 fps, Iím guessing the short (first) zero would be 20 yards and the long (second) zero would probably be 40 yards? I always zero to 20 yards.
Depends on your shooting area. 20 yards is about right for most things inside a smaller yard. However a strong airgun with super heavy pellets can shoot near 22LR ranges. The key is to know your dope for the distances you are shooting.
Old 02-19-2018, 4:49 PM
CGSSA Leader

I zero mine at M.O.Y, Minute Of Yard lol, in other words, clear to the back of the yard, could be ten yards, could be a few more, know the dope and you can easily extend that ten fold. 65+ yard shots with a .22 pellet that weighs 21.1 grains allows me to reach out with ease.

Rich

Last edited by RR.44; 02-21-2018 at 2:21 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 7:45 AM

As stated above, I zero at 25 yards. After that, I don't seem to have to do anything at closer distances, except adjust the side wheel focus. At longer distances, I take notes, as to the holdover on my mil-dot reticle. Hundreds of dead squirrels, with my Marauder .22, out to 65 yards. If someone had younger eyes, and a steadier hand, they could probably reach out further.
Old 02-21-2018, 9:47 AM

25yds for mine.

In spite of his lack of honesty, morals, ethics, and class, Donald was the better candidate at the time.

Only witches fear witch hunts, cast insults and dismiss real news reporting.

Yes, the FBI investigates crimes and the guilty go to jail. Thank goodness.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

First, if you are shooting diablo pellets at 1000fps, you are probably losing some accuracy. Diablo pellets typically shoot best around 900fps plus or minus, before the transonic range. Once you figure out you best speed for accuracy, you can plug the speed/pellet into something like ChairGun and figure out what your optimum zero range is. For most purposes, I find that the near zero is usually 15-20 yards, with the far zero being 40-50 yards (but that all varies based on pellet and speed, and I usually assume a 1 inch target). If you are mainly shooting at one specific distance, you may be better off with a zero at that distance. In any case, you will want to know the dope for the range of distances that you might shoot.
Old 03-31-2018, 7:41 PM

20 yards for me. Rifle-Gamo Big Cat 1200 .177 break barrel. Best pellet for my Big Cat-Cometa Exact Heavy 10.34 grains (sadly discontinued). I still have a thousand on hand.
JB makes a replacement however have yet to try them. Short distance pellet I use Beeman Hollow point coated 7.1 grain. Will get a few flyers but they work well. I can reach 50 yards with the heavy with no problem. At 10 meters I have put 5 shots through one hole, bench, indoors, with the Cometa's. That was on a really good day. I have not used it in the last couple of years but will get back into it this year.
Old 04-01-2018, 9:51 AM

With my RAW .30 HM1000x and my backyard's terrain, my available range is from 50 – 110 yards. I "zero" at 75 and use +/- on my scope reticle for distances other than 75 yards. This is with JSB Exact Diabolo 44.75gr pellets. I can go right from a 50-yard bullseye to the same at 110 yards in back-to-back shots with no change other than sighting. Weighing and sorting the pellets noticeably tightens up groups, especially the distant ones.
Old 04-02-2018, 6:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

20 yards for a normal sized backyard.
Old 04-02-2018, 6:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbutold View Post
25yds for mine.
Me too.