Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 3:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default legal to shoot air rifle in San Diego city?

Been searching and guess I don't find the answer.
I have a Gamo basic air rifle .177...I used to target shoot in a garage up in the LA area...big yard so noise was not an issue for neighbors.

I live in a small older home with a small yard in San Diego....I'd like to do some back yard shooting...figure I can sit back in the living room with patio doors open and have a good target backer about 50 feet away....the old airgun makes a hell of a pop (always has) but was always accurate and fun to target shoot with...

What's the law in San Diego (I'm sure we got laws..probably illegal to even own the damn thing and if legal probably got to have some card or permit)

One neighbor (the nearest ) is not a hassle at all...in back is a high wall with fence on top of it so nothing at risk for the house behind me.

Any help appreciated...thanks
Old 11-30-2017, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

NO! Discharging anyfirearm (that includes a BB gun) within the city limits is very illegal. That also includes much of the unincorporated area of San Diego County as well. SDSD has maps, but they are old and probably another legal trap.
Old 11-30-2017, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Next to be banned, nerf guns.
Old 11-30-2017, 1:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Air Guns, Sling Shots, Pointed Missiles, Etc. — Discharge, Propelling Prohibited

That it shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any air gun, or sling shot, or bean shooter, or throw, hurl, heave or propel any sharp pointed missile, or dart, or arrow upon any public street or sidewalk or public gathering place within the corporate limits of The City of San Diego.

(“Air Guns, Sling Shots, Pointed Missiles, Etc. — Discharge, Propelling Prohibited”
incorp. 1–22–1952 by O–5046 N.S., contained in O–61 N.S., adopted 10–24–1932.)
http://docs.sandiego.gov/municode/mu...division00.pdf
Old 11-30-2017, 2:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^Useless response Has nothing to do with op's question. He is discharging inside his dwelling.
Old 11-30-2017, 3:52 PM

You need to check out the SD Sheriff’s shooting map first. Download the PDF. Some areas are legal but not inside the CITY.
There’s always the approach of “what they don’t know won’t hurt you...” so quiet, low profile and respectful of your neighbors is key.
Old 11-30-2017, 7:13 PM

No what Doheny posted is very relevant. Read....before you respond. Kinda like think, before you act. Both of these will help you from doing dumb things in your future. Hence, the word "public" they mention street and sidewalk because if your on your land shooting the airgun, it's all well and good. Once that pellet crosses a street or sidewalk from the legal shooting ground of your "private" property. You are breaking the law.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 PM

I think you would be surprised just how well your living room quells the loud discharge of that airgun. Ask someone to fire it a couple of times while you are outside to see what the noise level is. If the neighbor isn't a problem I wouldn't think twice about shooting it. And, in fact, I take my own advice. While I don't live in San Diego, I do live in a fairly dense suburban area and I routinely shoot airguns in my backyard. Is it illegal? Almost certainly. I don't care enough to find out.

Discretion is the key. Don't let people see your air rifle/pistol which, to the untrained eye, looks exactly like a firearm. If you're shooting outside without the benefit of cover, stop shooting when a helicopter flies overhead. And that discharge noise, for all the neighbors know, could just as well be from a nail gun.
Old 12-01-2017, 9:39 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Old 12-01-2017, 1:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If I read 53:15 correctly (
That it shall be unlawful for any person to
discharge any air gun, or sling shot, or
bean shooter, or throw, hurl, heave or pr
opel any sharp pointed missile, or dart, or
arrow upon any public street or sidewalk
or public gathering place within the
corporate limits of The City of San Diego.
(“Air Guns, Sling Shots, Pointed Missiles,
Etc. — Discharge, Propelling Prohibited”
incorp. 1–22–1952 by O–5046 N.S., contai
ned in O–61 N.S., adopted 10–24–1932.)

it refers to "public street or sidewalk or public gathering place...etc"...My back yard and living room or garage is not any of those things...not trying to dispute..just curious.

After reading the legal mumbo jumbo I think I got other issues....I restore antique steam engines and there is a specific clause about steam engine boilers...I think I'll just not bother to read any further...might find it's illegal to blow my nose without a permit..thanks all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4185.jpg (93.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by opos; 12-01-2017 at 1:27 PM..
Old 12-01-2017, 1:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^ Doheny and rob wrong post not relevant to ops situation. Give him credit he will make sure and trap the pellet on his property. There at probably other statutes that apply but that one doesn't.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Next to be banned, nerf guns.
Lol, when I was in the service, we modded nerf guns. Those little rubber tipped foam darts left welts for a week on some people.....
Old 12-10-2017, 11:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Air Guns, Sling Shots, Pointed Missiles, Etc. — Discharge, Propelling Prohibited

That it shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any air gun, or sling shot, or bean shooter, or throw, hurl, heave or propel any sharp pointed missile, or dart, or arrow upon any public street or sidewalk or public gathering place within the corporate limits of The City of San Diego.

(“Air Guns, Sling Shots, Pointed Missiles, Etc. — Discharge, Propelling Prohibited”
incorp. 1–22–1952 by O–5046 N.S., contained in O–61 N.S., adopted 10–24–1932.)
Soooo yeah, sounds like Nerf guns ARE illegal. BRB while I call the cops on Johnny down the street.