Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:51 AM

This is my little reloading station in my apartment.
You'll notice a few mods, nothing big.

Old 02-17-2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esheato View Post

That's not a reloading bench, that's a reloading laboratory.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kteas1 View Post
That's not a reloading bench, that's a reloading laboratory.

I think it’s a reloading fortress!
Old 02-18-2018, 6:23 AM

It's awesome though, puts my mess to shame. I'm motivated now.

Old 02-23-2018, 6:09 PM

So I finely had time to finish my bench here it is from start to finish

1 1/8 ply underlayment

3/4 red oak utility grade 99 cents square root

Total boat water clear epoxy

1.5 inch black pipe that I use a DA to distress then clear coated
The front leg has a center TEE with a inline Fab quick QD wall mount welded to a flange. It is loose so you can swing it under the table and swing it out for easy access.

All bolted to the floor

Now to move into it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2019, 7:41 PM

This thread has been so useful in helping me set up my reloading station that I had to bring it back from the dead so I could post up my own reloading bench pics.

I got a lot of ideas from this thread on equipment that I would need and how to set up my reloading area to make it user friendly and as convenient as possible.

My biggest problem though was available space. I found a small but sturdy metal desk and chair from a retired USAF Lt. Colonel at an estate sale.

Even though it’s a sturdy metal desk, the top would flex when I operated the press, so I snagged a six setting dining room table for free from Nextdoor.com and stripped it to just the top, cut it in half, glued and stacked it. I then cut it to 36"w x 27"d and bolted it to the top of the desk. Now it's rock solid.

With my presses taking up all the available space, I had to figure out a way to have my powder drops, scales, and brass processing equipment readily available for use.

I had an 8"W x 16"L x 1" thick steel plate to use as a platform that I could mount everything on to. This way I could slide it around the bench top as needed depending on which function I would be doing. The plate alone weighs about thirty pounds, so it doesn't move at all when I'm using the swager or case trimmer. I primered, painted and waxed the plate and keep the table top waxed. In spite of the plates weight, it slides around the table easily without scratching the surface.

Since my bench is right next to my tool box, I just sat a smaller box on top of my work surface that is used to hold all of my dies, case gauges, spare parts, calipers, etc.

I added a small shelf between a couple of wall studs to hold my load manuals and my beam scale when it isn’t being used.

Finally, I picked up an old (heavy gauge American made steel) 4 drawer file cabinet that holds my powder (in one of the drawers).

My primers are kept in a 40mm ammo can.
Old 03-20-2019, 6:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Glad this came back up. Closing on a new house with a shop which will get a reloading station.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 03-20-2019, 7:59 AM

I found a good deal on this Husky tool cabinet. Added a wooden top for more stability cut from an old Ikea desktop. The press doesn't need a hang over so I can mount it on top while keeping the drawers accessible or needing a raiser. All reloading dies, tools and supplies are stored in this cabinet.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Really nice to see others making Due with smaller spaces. People always think you need a whole room and 10’ of worktop for reloading.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Really nice to see others making Due with smaller spaces. People always think you need a whole room and 10’ of worktop for reloading.
No kidding! After moving from a house with a garage to a small condo, I thought I'd have to give up reloading.
Nope.
Just switched from dry media tumbling to ultrasonic cleaning of brass (no more polished finish, but also no dust) and re-mounted my RCBS turret press to a simple piece of 1" x 18" x 10" plywood that can be clamped to the granite kitchen counter. Everything can be set up of torn down in 5 min and stores away in a plastic bin from Home Depot.
I cranked out 400 rounds of .357 just last night...
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 03-20-2019, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

I've got to increase space somehow. I have those big metal shelves and they are all loaded with brass containers of processed brass. I've got 2 new presses and need to make room. That's 6 total. If we ever downsize I'm F'd.
Old 03-20-2019, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
I've got to increase space somehow. I have those big metal shelves and they are all loaded with brass containers of processed brass. I've got 2 new presses and need to make room. That's 6 total. If we ever downsize I'm F'd.
Are all your presses mounted? I use the inline system to be able to have 1 press mounted and 1 on the wall. In the new place, I might have 2 mounting brackets and then I can put some of my other tools on inline brackets.

Old 03-20-2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerOrange View Post
I found a good deal on this Husky tool cabinet. Added a wooden top for more stability cut from an old Ikea desktop. The press doesn't need a hang over so I can mount it on top while keeping the drawers accessible or needing a raiser. All reloading dies, tools and supplies are stored in this cabinet.

Is that the RCBS press and how do you like it so far? I just saw those for the first time several weeks ago.
Old 03-21-2019, 5:42 AM

yes its an rgbs, my firts
press and I like it.
Old 04-02-2019, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

We are moving. Any benefit to keeping reloading bench in the house vs moving it into the shop?

Old 04-04-2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimid8tor View Post
We are moving. Any benefit to keeping reloading bench in the house vs moving it into the shop?

Depends on if you want to reload in the winter. My garage is not yet insulated so gets cold in the winters and not much fun to reload in that temp.
We must be on calguns...
Old 04-04-2019, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectric03 View Post
Depends on if you want to reload in the winter. My garage is not yet insulated so gets cold in the winters and not much fun to reload in that temp.
Good point.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I just noticed both of you are in Idaho. Makes sense to have your reloading area in the house for the winter.

Being that I'm in Riverside (SoCal), I wish I could load in the house due to our long hot summers. As it is, by June I move all my powder and primers out of the garage and into my closet in the bedroom.

My garage doors face south, and with a tall roof and limited ventilation my garage can hit 120 degrees for hours on real hot days. Even with the garage door and side door open and fans to circulate air, it's just too uncomfortable for me to concentrate. This just might be the year to put a large exhaust fan just beneath the peak of the roof and see if it helps.

All my reloading for the year is done between Nov 1st and May 31st.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
I just noticed both of you are in Idaho. Makes sense to have your reloading area in the house for the winter.

Being that I'm in Riverside (SoCal), I wish I could load in the house due to our long hot summers. As it is, by June I move all my powder and primers out of the garage and into my closet in the bedroom.

My garage doors face south, and with a tall roof and limited ventilation my garage can hit 120 degrees for hours on real hot days. Even with the garage door and side door open and fans to circulate air, it's just too uncomfortable for me to concentrate. This just might be the year to put a large exhaust fan just beneath the peak of the roof and see if it helps.

I think for now, at least in the short term it will go in the house. Once the shop us set up (and maybe expanded) I'll reassess. Brass processing will of course be in the shop.

Old 04-12-2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post

I know what you mean, I was born in and grew up in Riverside. I moved to the high desert for a few years before I moved to ID. We had an attic fan in our house and worked AMAZING! The downside to that is that any fan can play tricks with your scales while loading so be mindful.
We must be on calguns...
Old 04-12-2019, 8:23 PM

Husky actually makes a nice sturdy workbench perfect for a reloading bench. I was able to pick up a couple last year before the steep price hike.

Richard

[URL=http://s75.photobucket.com/user/wankel22hybrid/media/D08AAC39-AAE1-437E-A592-49FDCF42402C_zpsetrub4le.jpg.html][/URL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C7C487F9-1FF3-44FC-ADF5-E30BAD047D11.jpg (15.9 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Rg422; 04-12-2019 at 8:27 PM..
Old 04-12-2019, 8:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg422 View Post
Husky actually makes a nice sturdy workbench perfect for a reloading bench. I was able to pick up a couple last year before the steep price hike.

Richard
How much were they last year? They've been running sales on a lot of garage stuff.

Old 04-12-2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
How much were they last year? They've been running sales on a lot of garage stuff.

It was $277 delivered for each 8’ bench.
Old 04-14-2019, 9:29 AM

Quote:

Richard

*** snip ***
I really wish we had the luxury of a spare room in the house for my own loading room. You've got a nice set up there.

I took the liberty of resizing your pic to fit the screen better.......

My life would be so much easier if I had that much table space for my loading.
Old 04-14-2019, 9:38 AM

Thanks for resizing that image, desertrider.

I’m just happy I took the advice given to me before starting my reloading endeavor. Even with both tables, I had to buy a few extra bookshelves. Once you start reloading multiple calibers you NEED more storage to stay organized.
Old 04-14-2019, 9:48 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean, I was born in and grew up in Riverside. I moved to the high desert for a few years before I moved to ID. We had an attic fan in our house and worked AMAZING! The downside to that is that any fan can play tricks with your scales while loading so be mindful.
Yeah, that's the plan. I'd like to mount a whole house fan to suck in the cool air and blow all the hot air out.

Agreed on being mindful, I don't run any fans when I load, which is the main reason I don't load at all between May and November.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:59 AM

Hi from small 3+1 flat in Czech Republic. The only state which said "no" to EU ****laws for banning our guns to "keep us save from terrorism".

Odesláno z mého Redmi 4 Prime pomoc* Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:

Richard

[URL=http://s75.photobucket.com/user/wankel22hybrid/media/D08AAC39-AAE1-437E-A592-49FDCF42402C_zpsetrub4le.jpg.html][/URL
I have 3 spare bedrooms but I currently have my bench in the garage. Gonna be converting one of the rooms to a reloading room like yours. Appreciate the share. Some inspiration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2019, 6:40 AM

I have a mess right now. I'll post mine when cleaned up and more security setup. Live in California, new ammo purchase laws will make reloading supplies valuable. Time to make things invisible from the street. 5 home dead end street helps so don't get a lot of for traffic or cars driving by. I think as time passes, supplies for reloading in California going to become in greater demand for the unlawful that can't purchase ammo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2019, 5:42 AM

Still a mess but, for those on a budget. I bought used hutch. Put the top half on my old bench. Used the bottom half to mount the presses. Bottom half has drawers for press parts and gauges etc. The top sitting on the old bench, has caliber conversions and other things I want easy view of and other things I wanted dust free. The glass doors make seeing where things are easier. I paid I think around 80 dollars for the hutch Whole garage being cleaned up and things tossed. Have family living here and storage got tight. Now renting storage space and moving things out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 7:19 PM

Default Corbin CHP-1

No bench needed
Corbin CHP-1.jpg
Old 05-08-2019, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I think this will be my new reloading spot. 4×5' closet. Take out the makeshift organizer which runs to the floor. Only bummer is they just put new carpet in there. Either I'll have to live with the bare spot or I'll have to have someone come out and recarpet the closet with some leftover.

Old 05-08-2019, 5:36 PM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!
Default My first reload, .45acp !

Attachment 802543

Last edited by General; 08-30-2020 at 11:57 AM..
Old 05-11-2019, 3:57 PM

Simple set up for reloading 223. Its not all there, but consist of the following...

Lee Breechlock Hand Press
Lee Ram Prime
Lee Deluxe Perfect powder measure
Lee quick change drum set
RCBS AR Die Set
Lyman Pocket Scale.

The black bottle is used to fill from an 8lbs jug

I was running a bench mounted Lee press and hand scooping the powder, but I like this new set up better.

Last edited by nickrdz; 05-11-2019 at 4:19 PM..
Old 06-19-2019, 5:14 PM

Here is my bench still not finished

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2019, 5:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post

DAMN!
That is SWEEEEEEET!
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 08-29-2019, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Moved from CA to ID and bought a much bigger house, and I was finally able to get a whole room dedicated to whatever I wanted (well.... two rooms, but this isn't a stereo forum so no pics of my listening room). So, I took an empty room and made it a reloading/gun/hangout room. No more sweating or freezing in the garage to reload, and plenty of space to keep things neat and organized.

The local Home Depot had a clearance 50% off on unfinished cabinets, so I bought all they had. Put a ledger board in the back to anchor everything, and topped it of with 1/2" plywood under a 10' prefab Formica countertop with backsplash. Plenty sturdy, plenty of room.

I'm pretty happy with it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190829_152657_resized.jpg (85.4 KB, 820 views)
File Type: jpg 20190829_152644_resized.jpg (84.5 KB, 805 views)
File Type: jpg 20190829_152626_resized.jpg (88.7 KB, 804 views)

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 08-29-2019 at 2:22 PM..
Old 08-29-2019, 2:19 PM
Veteran Member

Whoa, bigbossman, that do look good. Improvement indeed. Congrats!
Old 08-29-2019, 2:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Moved from CA to ID and bought a much bigger house, and I was finally able to get a whole room dedicated to whatever I wanted
Nice!

Both the relocation and the bench setup
Old 08-29-2019, 4:42 PM

Ya done good Boss!