Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-18-2018, 7:58 PM

Default 1-9” twist barrels

So rather than try and talk myself into a new caliber for my b’day (I’ve managed to convince myself there is no functional difference between a .22 WMR and a .223 rifle for me) I moved on to upgrading my 10/22.

I most enjoy tossing subsonic pills, and I really like the SSS ammo and the newer heavier 42/45 grain stuff I’ve been seeing. My question being, is a faster twist barrel really gonna make a difference under 50m?

I’m likely going to get a 16” bull barrel to start with, and of course a stock. I’ve already got glass, but it’s not a serious precision build, just a range toy. That aluminum chassis looks like a hoot, but I’m afraid that could get outta hand real fast; accessorizing would be easy.
Old 07-19-2018, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Yes it makes a difference.
I turned one of my 1022 rifles into a subsonic tack driver using Aguila SSS and 38 gr subsonic ammo.
The move from 1/16 to 1/9 twist made a huge difference in stability and accuracy. SSS likes the 1/9.
Reliably getting it to cycle was the big PITA. Spring weights, bolt weight and polishing took some time before finding the right resipe.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-19-2018, 1:06 PM

I’ve seen the ‘light’ 10/22 springs available, didn’t know if that would be enough for cycling. A lot of the subsonic 38/40 grain stuff seems to cycle well enough but I haven’t used any of my SSS in my 10/22 (I guess I know what to try out next week).
Old 07-19-2018, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

I'd like to know what subsonic ammo cycles for you. Assuming a bone stock 1022. I modded mine to cycle both types equally well.
My Aguila 38 gr. ammo drops about 4"@100yds but groups real well. SSS drops more than that iirc. Once it's doped into your scope settings it's plug n play.
SSS is a niche round, but if you shoot something larger than ground squirrels you'll be rewarded with a clean kill. Hammers them!
Ground squirrels are done quick.

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-19-2018, 5:20 PM

My 1022 cycles SSS great
Old 07-19-2018, 7:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefear7 View Post
My 1022 cycles SSS great
How do you find accuracy @50 & 100 yds?

Some semi autos run fine and some don't. Mine didn't. Damn! That's seems to be the case with SSS.
I had to massage my 1022 so it would run both weaker subsonic du jour and SSS.
I really like subsonic 22 for accuracy and I used a ton of it while I could buy it on line.
Sometimes a 1/16 22" barreled rifle will shoot straight out to a point and then the bullet goes sideways.
Accuracy with the SSS will suffer without the 1/9 even tho it cycles the bolt. It did on my 1022 anyway.
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-19-2018, 9:58 PM

Yea accuracy wasn't bad at 50 yards past that there was too much drop anyway to be accurate
Old 07-20-2018, 6:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefear7 View Post
Yea accuracy wasn't bad at 50 yards past that there was too much drop anyway to be accurate
That's roughly the 1/16 experience I had.
The 1/9 stabilizes the 60 so it remains precise and allows longer 100yd + shots. Just need to dial up the elevation. Normal subsonics with a lighter bullets work just as well out of the 1/9.
That's my experience anyway. YMMV.
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-20-2018, 9:05 AM

My understanding is all the sss needs is a 8 or 9 inch barrel.Great pistol project. Where can you find the barrels?
Old 07-20-2018, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06er View Post
My understanding is all the sss needs is a 8 or 9 inch barrel.Great pistol project. Where can you find the barrels?
If you want to hit anything with accuracy and not be keyholing the bullets you'd have to source a 1/9, 1/8 or 1/7 twist rate barrel.
I've tried those out of AR's with 22 conversion kits. SSS ammo likey.
*AR pistol w/conversion kit would work.

-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-20-2018, 10:30 AM

I was on the Tactical Inc site, but I know others sell the fast twist. They have SBR and pistol length barrels though, guess you’d have to go the 80% route and do a toggle/side charger action?
Old 07-21-2018, 9:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

On a rimfire?
I have a 22lr barrel, and it is 1/16

Last edited by jimbo74; 07-21-2018 at 9:38 PM..
Old 07-22-2018, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
On a rimfire?
I have a 22lr barrel, and it is 1/16
Yeah, standard is 1-16” but to take maximum advantage of the heavy loads like the 60 grain Aguila SSS, some companies offer the 1-9”; if you like shooting light and fast rounds, the faster twist can hurt accuracy.
Old 07-22-2018, 9:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I found a rather accurate 5.56 1/9 twist non-chrome that shoots .22LR very well. I use that as my .22LR upper with the conversion bolt. 60 grain Aguila Super Snipers shoots fine in it too.

That ammo key holes out of my short barrel revolvers, it's a funny round.