Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 07-15-2018, 7:41 PM

Default Steak

What is your preferred method of preparing the best steak? Since this is an outdoor forum, I'd hope your method included use of outdoor cooking appliances and not an indoor kitchen, but anything is fair game.

For me, using a gas grill is the preferred method. I get that I'm missing out on flavor using a wood chip or briquette bbq, but I am usually constrained on time and gas is so fast.

I use Lawry's on the steak. Occasionally I'll use Kosher salt instead. Defrosted in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours (if frozen) and defrosted on the counter for at least 45 minutes prior to grilling. 1-1/4" steak gets 7 minutes on the first side and 5 on the second side. Perfect medium temperature every time.

I've heard many swear by the use of a cast iron pan and an oven. I'm curious for honest opinions of the difference.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:51 PM

Lately I've been cooking steaks using my sous vide (vacuum sealed, water bath) then finishing on a gas grill. I've also finished the steak on a cast iron skillet with olive oil and a bit of butter. This method is great, but can be messy with the spatter.

My charcoal BBQ is a Big Green Egg which works well for a nice reverse sear. It is a lot of work compared to gas or the sous vide, though.

I've watched videos on cooking a steak on a cast iron by searing one side for a couple of minutes then flipping and finishing in a pre-heated oven. One advantage is the juices and charred bits and be used (reduced with wine or something) to make a sauce. No personal experience, but I would like to learn.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:55 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
For me, using a gas grill is the preferred method. I get that I'm missing out on flavor using a wood chip or briquette bbq, but I am usually constrained on time and gas is so fast.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Have your gas and wood chips too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-15-2018, 9:05 PM

Now that my wife is a vegetarian and my son is working a swing shift, I often am just cooking one steak. I use an oiled cast iron frying pan heated to where the oil is just starting to smoke and sear one side then the other and turn down to cook to desired stage. I use a spatter screen and turn the range hood on. It works very well when I don't want to fire up the grill for one steak.
Old 07-15-2018, 9:11 PM

Two inch thick rib eye or Porterhouse. From fridge to Traeger and smoke for 45 minutes. Then transfer to a blazing hot Weber Kettle burning hardwood chunks, preferably red oak. Sear on presentation side for 2-3 minutes, turn, then cook to desired doneness. Let sit for at least 5 minutes to let juice set. Salt to taste with salt pond salt.

If I don't have time to do it right, I don't cook a steak.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

1" thick, cast iron pan, with lots of butter heated til it starts to smoke.

Nice "Bleu" steak (extra-double-secret-Rare)
Old 07-15-2018, 11:50 PM

I only eat NY Strip steaks that I cut myself into 1# steaks from slabs that I buy at Costco.

All I do is season them w/salt & pepper and grill them on my gas stove top in a cast iron grill pan to med rare. Always come out tender and juicy w/nice cross hatched grill marks, just as I like them l.

Never cook them on my charcoal or propane bbqs because it's too hard to control the temp and they often end up over or under cooked.

Last edited by sgt1372; 07-16-2018 at 9:08 AM..
Old 07-16-2018, 7:51 AM

It begins the night before by dry brining with kosher or sea salt in fridge. Preferred cook method is in the smoker until IT of about 118. Pull from smoker while grill is getting HOT. Sear both sides for char. Ending IT is 120-125 and perfectly pink from edge to edge.
Old 07-16-2018, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
Lately I've been cooking steaks using my sous vide (vacuum sealed, water bath) then finishing on a gas grill. I've also finished the steak on a cast iron skillet with olive oil and a bit of butter. This method is great, but can be messy with the spatter.

My charcoal BBQ is a Big Green Egg which works well for a nice reverse sear. It is a lot of work compared to gas or the sous vide, though.

I've watched videos on cooking a steak on a cast iron by searing one side for a couple of minutes then flipping and finishing in a pre-heated oven. One advantage is the juices and charred bits and be used (reduced with wine or something) to make a sauce. No personal experience, but I would like to learn.
YES!

Recently got into this method as well. It takes all the guessing out of the equation.

My redneck faux-vide cooking setup is a slow cooker, it will hold a solid 130 on the low setting with the pot full of water. I don't have fancy vacuum sealer, so I just use sandwich bags with clip coat hangers keeping the sealing edge out of the bath.

I finish over a charcoal starter chimney with the grate on top. So much oxygen flows through with lump charcoal it's blistering hot with very little actual coal. It radiates enough heat that I can't be around it without extra long tongs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180710_195751.jpg (40.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 20180709_215544.jpg (47.6 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by Fizz; 07-16-2018 at 8:04 AM..
Old 07-16-2018, 8:15 AM

Start with a good steak... I prefer Costco’s USDA Prime.
Give it more time to come to room temp before cooking, maybe 2-3 hours on the counter.
VERY IMPORTANT: Dry the steak with a paper towel (or 5). This gives you a nice crust instead of a steamed steak.
Then season with salt, fresh cracked pepper, and maybe (MAYBE) a little bit of garlic powder. Both sides.
VERY HOT bbq. I preheat mine to about 650°-700°
3 minutes, flip, 2 minutes. 5 minutes total cook time, let rest 10 minutes.

The PERFECT medium rare steak.

Last edited by scbauer; 07-16-2018 at 8:19 AM..
Old 07-16-2018, 8:25 AM

I like to marinate my steak, any cut, in Soy Vey Teriyaki.
Old 07-16-2018, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Montreal seasoning.

Hour on the counter.

Hot, fast and bloody.

Any more than that you need to buy better steaks.
Old 07-16-2018, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
Start with a good steak... I prefer Costco’s USDA Prime.
Give it more time to come to room temp before cooking, maybe 2-3 hours on the counter.
VERY IMPORTANT: Dry the steak with a paper towel (or 5). This gives you a nice crust instead of a steamed steak.
Then season with salt, fresh cracked pepper, and maybe (MAYBE) a little bit of garlic powder. Both sides.
VERY HOT bbq. I preheat mine to about 650°-700°
3 minutes, flip, 2 minutes. 5 minutes total cook time, let rest 10 minutes.

The PERFECT medium rare steak.
What kind of internal temps are.you getting with that process? Seems like a nice rare but potentially unsafe to eat.
Old 07-16-2018, 9:21 AM

Charcoal in a chimney starter takes 20 minutes. When I used gas, it would take 10 minutes to preheat. To me, if I don't have 10 Xtra minutes I'm doing something wrong in my life or it's not a night to grill.

For seasoning, a company called "Spice Hunter" has a salt free "Steak, Chop, and Broil" seasoning that's awesome on any beef.
Old 07-16-2018, 9:21 AM

I have just been putting them on my Traeger so I don't get a sear on it. Use Montreal seasoning on them. I probably should experiment with taking them off the Traeger and onto my Weber gas grill for a quick sear. I prefer my steaks medium with error on the side of medium rare.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:09 AM

My method is basic. I let the steak sit at room temperature for hours, usually around 5 hours. Get the grill started using 5 charcoal and 5 or 6 large chunks of mesquite lump coal in a chimney. Once the charcoal is hot, I dump them into my Webber, one side and let the lump coals burn with the grate over them, no lid. Once the grate is good and hot, I throw the steak on the side with no coals and let it cook 7 minutes then flip it over for another 7 and done. My rib eye usually comes out medium rare to medium. I use a 2 inch porterhouse or rib eye from my local meat market.

Great now I'm hungry! Thanks for starting this thread and for everyone sharing their method.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Hot charcoal grill. Burn, Flip, Burn, and plate

Old 07-18-2018, 5:18 PM

Everyone I know who smokes meat swears by Traeger. We're looking at putting in a built-in bbq in the yard this year and could use some opinions of manufacturers for the gas grill and possibly a smoker that could be installed in the built-in. It will be fully custom, so anything goes, but I haven't seen a nice built-in smoker before.
Old 07-18-2018, 5:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We did buffalo ribeyes at big bear on small webber with potatoes and onions and bell peppers in foil and corn on cob. One bbq meal was great.
Old 07-19-2018, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den60 View Post
I have just been putting them on my Traeger so I don't get a sear on it. Use Montreal seasoning on them. I probably should experiment with taking them off the Traeger and onto my Weber gas grill for a quick sear. I prefer my steaks medium with error on the side of medium rare.
I highly recommend trying it. Pull them a few degrees earlier and sear on your HOT weber. Works great.
Old 07-19-2018, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Two inch thick rib eye or Porterhouse. From fridge to Traeger and smoke for 45 minutes. Then transfer to a blazing hot Weber Kettle burning hardwood chunks, preferably red oak. Sear on presentation side for 2-3 minutes, turn, then cook to desired doneness. Let sit for at least 5 minutes to let juice set. Salt to taste with salt pond salt.

If I don't have time to do it right, I don't cook a steak.
I do the same, but I rub a tomahawk, smoke 60 minutes @ 180 until temp 110, then sear, top with butter and rest.

Front Sight President / Heritage Member
Old 07-20-2018, 6:28 AM

Rib-eye steak only here. Usually put a little soy sauce on 'em and sprinkle a bit of black pepper, let sit on counter top for an hour or so. BBQ to desired doneness. Picked up some "Spade L Ranch" beef marinade[dry] at an Albertson's while in Idaho. This is some dandy seasoning! Cooking a steak is pretty easy stuff.