Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-13-2018, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

Default Springfield Professional Problem

Today I was out shooting my Springfield Professional and I started having some weird malfunctions. The trigger wouldn't engage and I couldn't pull the slide back. At first I had no idea what could be causing this until I realized the safety kept getting pushed up slightly. I have had this gun for many years and fired thousands and thousands of rounds through it. Could this just be a fluke thing and I was holding it weird making the safety engage? Or, is it something mechanical? Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2018, 5:09 PM

Have you changed the grips lately? I've seen ambi safeties hit the top of the grip causing problems.
Old 10-13-2018, 5:10 PM

i would take out the thumb safety....my gut feeling is perhaps the plunger spring might benefit from replacement but also take a look at the thumb safety as well to make sure nothing is broken/worn or fractured.

also, is the plunger tube staked or has it come loose. sometimes photos help
Old 10-13-2018, 5:18 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Once you determine your gun is not malfunctioning, and once you determine it again reliable, you must still! learn to shoot the 1911 with your thumb riding the safety.

It isn't comfortable at first, but then again, "handguns aren't meant to be comfortable, they're meant to be comforting." - Clint Smith

If you ever attend a 250 Pistol class at Gunsite in Arizona, you must shoot your 1911 this way. Learn it now. I did.
"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

.TOMMY ROBINSON WALKS A FREE MAN! | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 10-13-2018, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal20 View Post
Have you changed the grips lately? I've seen ambi safeties hit the top of the grip causing problems.
It actually started happening after I took it apart. Iíll check that
Old 10-13-2018, 7:21 PM

^^^what he said...maybe check the grips. I switched out the grips on my pro and it wasnít a perfect fit. I had sand down quite a bit before the safety cleared and didnít touch the grips at all.
Old 10-13-2018, 7:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Did you remove the safety plunger spring and was it a bit heavy and gave you a hard time when you reinstalled it?
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 10-13-2018, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
Did you remove the safety plunger spring and was it a bit heavy and gave you a hard time when you reinstalled it?
I've never gone that far when taking it apart, always just done a basic field strip
Old 10-14-2018, 12:23 AM

Rest your thumb above the thumb safety. That's what the extended safety is for.
Old 10-14-2018, 7:13 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Where's the "safety plunger spring" on a Series 70 1911? The Professional is a Series 70 design and does not have a Shwartz safety. There are five springs in Series 70-design pistols, six springs in a Series 80:

1. Recoil spring - in the slide

2. Slide stop spring - on the frame above the left grip panel - this is the spring that also serves the thumb safety detent (and my be the spring JTR refers to?)

3. Main spring - in the mainspring housing

4. Firing pin spring - in the slide

5. Sear spring - in the frame and it operates the sear, trigger return and grip safety

(Series 80) 6. Shwartz safety plunger spring (firing pin block).

I mention Gunsite (Academy) because it very well may have seen the most student 1911s in one place in the world. Founder Jeff Cooper used to see that some students would inadvertently knock the thumb safety upward during a high volume of fire, perhaps as hand fatigue set in...

He then made it a rule that one must shoot the 1911 with one's thumb on top of the thumb safety, because to trip the safety upward during a gunfight could very well mean the shooter's demise.

To clarify, I have not yet been a student at Gunsite, but it is on the short list. I am, however, a student of all things Jeff Cooper, and when learning more about how things are done at Gunsite, I adjusted my hold on my 1911s to ride the thumb safety.

Once you become acclimated to that hold, you will find too that there is no question as to the position of the safety, off or on. Once you pick up the gun to use it, it is Off. Immediately upon holstering, the safety is swiped upward to the On position. It becomes automatic (sic).
"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

.TOMMY ROBINSON WALKS A FREE MAN! | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 10-14-2018, 9:12 AM

As said above, keep your thumb up on the safety. When I use a 1911, while shooting two-handed, I keep my left thumb over my right as well, so the slide-stop is not inadvertently tripped on an empty magazine. If you use other types of pistols that don't have external safeties, it may take some getting used to.
I've never had any issues with grips causing problems on a 1911, but I've always checked them for proper fit and clearance when first installed.
The SA Pro is a great weapon; keep the rails lubed, and it will always work.
Old 10-14-2018, 9:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Ride the safety on a 1911, surprised nobody said this yet.
Old 10-14-2018, 1:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Ride the safety on a 1911, surprised nobody said this yet.
Post #4

I also ride the safety with my thumb. Much like nuking it from space, it is the only way to be sure.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 10-14-2018, 4:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Post #4

I also ride the safety with my thumb. Much like nuking it from space, it is the only way to be sure.
The little winky smiley face was supposed to be a clue I was being facetious.
Old 10-14-2018, 4:41 PM

Like that avatar, VictorFranko; reminds me of a really special pet whom I greatly miss.